Only 3% of jobs posted on Tennessee's website offer more than $20,000 per year

You can't hire anyone for an unreasonable wage. If they have a better offer, they will take it. If they take it, you valued them more than anyone else, so that is a reasonable wage.

The minimum wage is a hurdle, not a tide. Not worth that? You don't work

People always debate who is worth what. The bottom line is that you are only worth what your employer could pay somebody else to do your job and quality of work. That's all any employee is worth.

In the early 80's my company wanted me to go to electronics school since I was repairing medical equipment, so I did. But working 6 to 7 days a week, going to school at night and not coming home until 9:00 pm got old real quick. So one evening I asked my instructor what I would be able to make to get my FCC license which was one year. He told me 16K. Shocked, I asked what I could make getting my associates degree which took two years. He told me 18K. So I quit the school.

It's not that electronics was easy. In fact it's pretty difficult because it's all math. The reason it didn't pay anything was because everybody and their mother wanted to learn electronics. If you graduated, you were a dime a dozen, and employers knew that.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
You can't hire anyone for an unreasonable wage. If they have a better offer, they will take it. If they take it, you valued them more than anyone else, so that is a reasonable wage.

The minimum wage is a hurdle, not a tide. Not worth that? You don't work

People always debate who is worth what. The bottom line is that you are only worth what your employer could pay somebody else to do your job and quality of work. That's all any employee is worth.

In the early 80's my company wanted me to go to electronics school since I was repairing medical equipment, so I did. But working 6 to 7 days a week, going to school at night and not coming home until 9:00 pm got old real quick. So one evening I asked my instructor what I would be able to make to get my FCC license which was one year. He told me 16K. Shocked, I asked what I could make getting my associates degree which took two years. He told me 18K. So I quit the school.

It's not that electronics was easy. In fact it's pretty difficult because it's all math. The reason it didn't pay anything was because everybody and their mother wanted to learn electronics. If you graduated, you were a dime a dozen, and employers knew that.

The minimum wage is one of those things that if you don't know a lot about it, it sounds reasonable.

But it falls apart immediately when you look at it with a critical mind.

1) Would someone take a job for $5 an hour if they are offered other jobs for $15? No. $10? No. $6? No. $5.5? No. $4.50? YES! They would take the $5 an hour job!

2) Will employers pay $15 to someone worth $5 per question 1? Um ... no. If they have to pay $15, then they will hire a better employee.

So what happens? Companies ask more for the job, automate, consolidate, offshore, do without. But they don't pay $15 for a $5 job.

If any leftist with a critical mind read this, it's indisputable. They'd be like no, wait, um, damn. OK, that's true. The minimum wage only harms employees.

There is not one leftist with a critical mind because it doesn't happen. It is of course leftist arrogance that if Steve wants to hire Jay, then they have to get permission from the entire left what they pay. Jay isn't smart enough to not take a job he shouldn't take. Millions of uninvolved people and politicians need to OK it

Last edited:
The minimum wage is one of those things that if you don't grasp it, it sounds reasonable.

1) Would someone take a job for $5 an hour if they are offered other jobs for $15? No. $10? No. $6? No. $5.5? No. $4.50? YES! They would take the $5 an hour job!

2) Will employers pay $15 to someone worth $5 per question 1? Um ... no. If they have to pay $15, then they will hire a better employee.

So what happens? Companies ask more for the job, automate, consolidate, offshore, do without. But they don't pay $15 for a $5 job.

If any leftist with a critical mind read this, it's indisputable. They'd be like no, wait, um, damn. OK, that's true. The minimum wage only harms employees.

There is not one leftist with a critical mind because it doesn't happen

The concept of the minimum wage was a good one for it's time, but so was traveling in a horse and buggy. Desperate "legal" immigrants would work for almost nothing just to put food on the table while being taken advantage of by employers.

Fast forward to today, very few would accept any minimum wage job outside of retired people, kids in school, stay at home moms when the kids are in school, but nobody is trying to feed a family of four on a minimum wage job, even if they are working 60 hours a week with overtime.

Unlike years ago when MW was started, there are a host of government programs that people can, and do get on if they can't make ends meet. If you can't feed your family, they will give you a plastic card allowing you to buy enough food to be 100 pounds over a normal weight for a person your size. If you have children and can't afford daycare, government has vouchers for those. Can't afford housing, we have HUD for that, and they'll even get you a place in the suburbs.

So today, minimum wage is nothing but a sideshow Democrats use to try and buy votes. It does nothing for the blue collar worker. Only 3% of our workforce actually works for minimum wage, and again, it's usually people who need something to do during retirement, kids and moms looking to bring in an extra few bucks into the household.

The minimum wage is one of those things that if you don't grasp it, it sounds reasonable.

There is not one leftist with a critical mind because it doesn't happen

The concept of the minimum wage was a good one for it's time, but so was traveling in a horse and buggy. Desperate "legal" immigrants would work for almost nothing just to put food on the table while being taken advantage of by employers.

Fast forward to today, very few would accept any minimum wage job outside of retired people, kids in school, stay at home moms when the kids are in school, but nobody is trying to feed a family of four on a minimum wage job, even if they are working 60 hours a week with overtime.

Unlike years ago when MW was started, there are a host of government programs that people can, and do get on if they can't make ends meet. If you can't feed your family, they will give you a plastic card allowing you to buy enough food to be 100 pounds over a normal weight for a person your size. If you have children and can't afford daycare, government has vouchers for those. Can't afford housing, we have HUD for that, and they'll even get you a place in the suburbs.

So today, minimum wage is nothing but a sideshow Democrats use to try and buy votes. It does nothing for the blue collar worker. Only 3% of our workforce actually works for minimum wage, and again, it's usually people who need something to do during retirement, kids and moms looking to bring in an extra few bucks into the household.

I agree, but I would view it from a different angle that in the olden days you're talking about it was really more of a law enforcement issue. When they could beat up union leaders or anyone who tried to object and force them to work for low wages not market wages then that wasn't free markets either.

There is nothing wrong with free market unions, the problem are unions empowered by government guns. Free markets apply to both management and workers.

I know you agree with that

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WZTV) — There are more than 250,000 jobs available in Tennessee right now, but some lawmakers say there’s a catch with that number.
Only 3% of the jobs posted — about 8,500 as of Friday evening — pay $20,000 or more. The federal poverty line for a family of three is just under $22,000.

I'm not sure I see the problem. This is the issue with Americans, we're always complaining and wanting more. There is no reason why someone cannot work two full-time jobs and a part-time job. There are 24 hour in a day and 7 days in a week. Monday through Friday they work one job for 8 hours, then they got to another one for 8 hours. If they are making $20k/yr at both jobs, then they have $40k/yr. They can then work at least 16 hours on the weekend for an extra $8k/yr. That's $48k a year they could be making if they chose not to be so lazy and selfish. If that's not enough then while they are working they can go attend school to get a real skill so that when they graduate they can make $32k/yr working only one job. If they don't like living in TN because they don't make enough to pay rent, then why don't they move? How hard is it to move? You save up a money to pay for a new place, you get a rental truck, you move to your knew home, and you look for a new job while living off the six months of savings you have. It's not rocket surgery, people.

I'm so tired of the greedy poor trying to destroy country by constantly demanding more and more. Not only that, but I am tired of these communist corporations that give in by raising their wages for them. I don't understand why I have to pay for the some sour cream squirters rent and car payment just because Taco Bell decides to pay their employees $9.50/hr instead of a more reasonable wage. Those price increases are coming out of my pocket to pay for their lavish lifestyles. Communist redistribution of wealth doesn't just have to originate from government, it can come from woke corporations too. I am so tired of seeing retail and fast food workers driving far nicer cars than they should be driving, because I know that it was my hard earned money that paid for it.
The reason all of those LOW paying jobs are listed is because the people who work those jobs are now making more on unemployment on these entry level jobs or bare minimum necessary to collect welfare jobs. Yeah hun, instead of having kids for welfare----you should get a good job, get married, and then have the kids that you not taxpayers support.
The whole point was that there weren’t that many “good jobs” available. Your response was to say people should just get a “ good job”. Are you stupid or sumpthin’

I agree, but I would view it from a different angle that in the olden days you're talking about it was really more of a law enforcement issue. When they could beat up union leaders or anyone who tried to object and force them to work for low wages not market wages then that wasn't free markets either.

There is nothing wrong with free market unions, the problem are unions empowered by government guns. Free markets apply to both management and workers.

What happened to unions is they got too powerful and rich. Soon it became about how they could get more money from their workers instead of doing what was best for them. So they kept pushing for higher wages to get more dues, and it drove jobs out of the state or country.

The stronger unions virtually took over the companies. They told them who they could hire, who they could or could not fire, and who they had to promote whether they deserved it or not. As a former truck driver I could write a book on unions stories I experienced. If I went to a new company for a delivery, and didn't know a thing about them, I could tell you within five minutes if they were a union shop or not simply by their attitude and performance.

What happened to unions is they got too powerful and rich. Soon it became about how they could get more money from their workers instead of doing what was best for them. So they kept pushing for higher wages to get more dues, and it drove jobs out of the state or country.

The stronger unions virtually took over the companies. They told them who they could hire, who they could or could not fire, and who they had to promote whether they deserved it or not. As a former truck driver I could write a book on unions stories I experienced. If I went to a new company for a delivery, and didn't know a thing about them, I could tell you within five minutes if they were a union shop or not simply by their attitude and performance.

Yes, I grew up in Michigan. kaz is for Kalamazoo, my home town. Unions destroyed the State. There's a reason that new auto factories are still not built there.

Every once in a while Michigan gets tired of the financial impact and elects a Republican. But those companies are gone, they don't just come back. And it doesn't last, eventually they go back to a Democrat and ensure that companies stay away.

I find it so funny when liberals cry that people might have to work 45 hours a week in order to get 30 grand a year in a job.

I'm a truck driver. I work 70 hours a week, for several weeks at a time without a day off and without even seeing my house. And I'm expected to work at my peak performance the entire time as one slip up and lack of attention can kill a dozen people or more. Operating an 80Klb rig at 70mph mere feet from 4 wheelers and I'm expected to hit NOTHING, screw up NOTHING, and deliver on time EVERY TIME.

When I go home its for 3 days and back out on the road. This is a real man's job. Not many are cut out for this kind of work.

I find it so funny when liberals cry that people might have to work 45 hours a week in order to get 30 grand a year in a job.

I'm a truck driver. I work 70 hours a week, for several weeks at a time without a day off and without even seeing my house. And I'm expected to work at my peak performance the entire time as one slip up and lack of attention can kill a dozen people or more. Operating an 80Klb rig at 70mph mere feet from 4 wheelers and I'm expected to hit NOTHING, screw up NOTHING, and deliver on time EVERY TIME.

When I go home its for 3 days and back out on the road. This is a real man's job. Not many are cut out for this kind of work.

Which is why they are bringing in all these Fn foreigners; some of them can't read or speak a word of English. None of them had to pass a written, maneuverability, or road test. They get some license from their country that's similar to our CDL which you can get for a comparable five dollar bill here and a pack of cigarettes, and get immediate reciprocity by our government.

They refused to renew my medical card because of medical problems about a year and a half ago. In spite of my years and outstanding driving record, they took me off the road and allow these Fn foreigners to do the job when they've had zero training and absolutely no experience behind the wheel. The only enjoyment I used to get out of it was watching them trying to back in a trailer most Americans could do blindfolded there was so much room.

Sorry for the vent, but I think you of all people can appreciate my anger. In any case, I get so aggravated when people say there are no good jobs around. The transportation industry has been in dire straits for many years even during covid because they can't find Americans wiling to drive. They say it's only going to get worse from here.

Now that I'm a four wheeler, I take great precautions when driving next to a container or moving truck. For whatever reason, these foreigners flock to those jobs, so I STF away from them. They have no idea WTF they're doing.

My suggestion is get a local job. UPS and FedEx pay pretty good, and you can see your house every night. The best thing is you can work driving a day cab.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WZTV) — There are more than 250,000 jobs available in Tennessee right now, but some lawmakers say there’s a catch with that number.
Only 3% of the jobs posted — about 8,500 as of Friday evening — pay $20,000 or more. The federal poverty line for a family of three is just under $22,000.

I'm not sure I see the problem. This is the issue with Americans, we're always complaining and wanting more. There is no reason why someone cannot work two full-time jobs and a part-time job. There are 24 hour in a day and 7 days in a week. Monday through Friday they work one job for 8 hours, then they got to another one for 8 hours. If they are making $20k/yr at both jobs, then they have $40k/yr. They can then work at least 16 hours on the weekend for an extra $8k/yr. That's $48k a year they could be making if they chose not to be so lazy and selfish. If that's not enough then while they are working they can go attend school to get a real skill so that when they graduate they can make $32k/yr working only one job. If they don't like living in TN because they don't make enough to pay rent, then why don't they move? How hard is it to move? You save up a money to pay for a new place, you get a rental truck, you move to your knew home, and you look for a new job while living off the six months of savings you have. It's not rocket surgery, people.

I'm so tired of the greedy poor trying to destroy country by constantly demanding more and more. Not only that, but I am tired of these communist corporations that give in by raising their wages for them. I don't understand why I have to pay for the some sour cream squirters rent and car payment just because Taco Bell decides to pay their employees $9.50/hr instead of a more reasonable wage. Those price increases are coming out of my pocket to pay for their lavish lifestyles. Communist redistribution of wealth doesn't just have to originate from government, it can come from woke corporations too. I am so tired of seeing retail and fast food workers driving far nicer cars than they should be driving, because I know that it was my hard earned money that paid for it.
Do you want to guess why it is that so many businesses (gas stations, hotels, restaurants, nail salons.etc ) here are foreign-owned ? And why so many Middle Eastern and SE Asian Americans seem to all live in middle-class brick homes and expensive condos, driving brand new SUV's, usually $40k + BMW's Mercedes and Lexus. ...two words...

war
reparations

If the US bombs your country and you're lucky enough to survive, Uncle Sam will
take you in. If you're an armed services veteran, usually not as fortunate.

And what the SE Asians and Arabs don't own, the Chinese and the top .1% wealthiest
share what's left.

And a history of stupid racist posts, that has to be one of the dumbest ones you’ve ever made.

When has the USA ever paid war reparations to anyone?

Jobs4tn is the official government employment office. Most employers with good jobs don't advertise them there.

The government department is good for finding jobs for excons , welfare recipients, longterm UI recipients, who are required to look for a job.

Not for the general employment market.

I'm not sure I see the problem. This is the issue with Americans, we're always complaining and wanting more
Sure. If you want a lot of work done, and you aren't willing to pay very much for it, you're going to have to be more aggressive and pro-active recruiting and advertising open positions.

Jobs that pay more, obviously, are going to be more difficult for applicants "off the street" to find, and employers have to be more judicious where they advertise such positions if they don't want to be overwhelmed by unqualified or underqualified applicants.

You should not be allowed in the road for 70 hours per week. Pilots are not allowed to fly planes for 70 hours a week because it’s too dangerous and driving truck is far more dangerous than flying a plane.

I am well aware of the economics of long haul trucking, from my days as a banker. If you’re an independent contractor, and your rig is more 4 years old, it’s almost impossible to make money. That’s when the repairs and downtime, which go hand in hand, eat into reliability and income.

Even with a newer rig, you have to run night and day to make money. Hence your 70 hour weeks with little down time.

No it’s not a “real man’s job”. It’s yet another occupation that is contracted out, so that your employer makes the most money possible, while YOU assume all of the expenses and all of the risk, for little reward.

You pay for the gas, insurance, interest on your truck loan, repairs and maintenance. So your company doesn’t have ANY of those expenses, they just get a big cut of shipping price for finding you the load.

If you were an employee and not a contractor, you wouldn’t be allowed to drive 70 hours a week. So hiring independents also allows the company to skirt labour and safety laws. As an independent, they’re not responsible for setting your hours so again, you get all the risk, and there really is no reward for you doing it.

Last but not least, sitting behind the wheel of your truck 70 hours a week, living on truck stop food, is really bad for your health. Stress impacts the immune system. Sitting for long periods leads to blood clots, strokes, etc. Then there’s lack of exercise, quality sleep while away from home.

The job simply doesn’t pay enough to make the rewards worth the risks.

Do you want to guess why it is that so many businesses (gas stations, hotels, restaurants, nail salons.etc ) here are foreign-owned ? And why so many Middle Eastern and SE Asian Americans seem to all live in middle-class brick homes and expensive condos, driving brand new SUV's, usually $40k + BMW's Mercedes and Lexus. ...two words...

war
reparations

If the US bombs your country and you're lucky enough to survive, Uncle Sam will
take you in. If you're an armed services veteran, usually not as fortunate.

And what the SE Asians and Arabs don't own, the Chinese and the top .1% wealthiest
share what's left.

And a history of stupid racist posts, that has to be one of the dumbest ones you’ve ever made.

Takes a Canadian racist to spot a racist, huh?

If a black wants to leave the Democrat party, you'll let them know that the Democrat party is still very much the party of slavery

Do you really believe Japan, South Korea and Vietnam could have rebuilt to the extent they did without our help ? Maybe we should have bombed Cuba and they'd be prosperous now too.

I feel like Charlie Brown at USMB lately.
Everyone is picking on me.

Your post had nothing to do with rebuilding countries which were bombed in the war. Your post about the ownership of American businesses by Asian immigrants.

Furthermore, all of the countries that you “helped” rebuild, paid for everything you supplied them with. The entire reason the United States was so prosperous during the 1950s and 1969’s was because Japan and most of Europe were bombed back to the Stone Age and had to completely rebuild their manufacturing capability and infrastructure.

The problem for the US economy since 1970 has been that the Europeans and the Japanese rebuilt with the latest and equipment, technology and infrastructure, while by 1970, American manufacturing capability and infrastructure which have been built in the 30s and 40s, was now ageing and out of date.

With a Republican failure to invest in infrastructure, education, or the social contract since 1980, you are now worse off than you were in the 70s when things started going south.

The problem for the US economy since 1970 has been that the Europeans and the Japanese rebuilt with the latest and equipment, technology and infrastructure, while by 1970, American manufacturing capability and infrastructure which have been built in the 30s and 40s, was now ageing and out of date.

With a Republican failure to invest in infrastructure, education, or the social contract since 1980, you are now worse off than you were in the 70s when things started going south.

The problem in our country was that unions either closed down companies, forced them out of the state, or forced them out of the country. Outsourcing became a common method of getting cheaper labor, especially thanks to Ears when he put a 50 employee limit on being exempt from Commie Care. When growing small businesses started to creep up to that 50 employee limit, they outsourced instead to not cross that line.

All the business and pollution regulations didn't help either. Those could cost a company millions. Then there is taxation to consider.

It had nothing to do with technology and and equipment. Employers were always willing to invest in anything that has a great return on their money. In fact automation killed more American jobs than outsourcing or companies moving overseas combined. If the Democrats ever pass a 15.00 minimum wage, automation will be on steroids.

Entry level jobs should pay $1,000,000 annually, just like they do in every Socialist paradise

Entry level jobs here pay $14/hr., and include health care and 2 weeks vacation. That’s less than $30,000 per year but it is enough for a single person to live on.

Americans seem to think that no entry level job should pay enough for a worker to live on. That entry level workers should be required to work two or three jobs just to eat and have a roof over their heads. Even though their employers are enjoying record profits, the company executives make millions, and the shareholders, few of whom work at all, are enjoying 80% of the income their work produces.

That benefits paid to low level workers are a disincentive to work. The success, prosperity and living conditions in countries like Norway, New Zealand, Australia and Canada put the lie to that.

naturally benefits from US corporatists setting up highly successful companies in China. Are you suggesting that sort of free market capitalism be outlawed and forbidden?
China is not a free market
America's corporatists who have created the markets in China would disagree. Walmart is the very model of America's free market and it was created to merchandise goods in America that were produced in China. Know thy enemy!
The price of doing business in china is to turn over all our technology and trade secrets to the CCP
Tell that to America's corporatists that went to China to take advantage of free market opporutnities. Are you hinting at 'communist' curtailment of free market capitalism?
After that the western companies become puppets of the communist dictatorship
American corporations have no trouble brushing off the 'puppet' label you attach to them. It's all about how China markets have made their shareholders very, very wealthy. such fools! LOL
I dont care what empty labels you throw at me

America cannot survive as a free country unless the globalists wake up and face reality

America is surviving miraculously well if that is measured by the wealth of the 1% very wealthy.
But I would agree with you that America can't continue to survive if it cheats the working class people poorly.

This is the reason why the discussion on Costco business policy is so interesting to compare to Walmart's.

Your ideology is still biting at your ass mac!

The 'globalists' aren't going to wake because the system is benefitting them enormously. It's the American people who need to wake up and question the globalists' agenda.
Sorry I missed your post before

You seriously misunderstand the problem we face

The US government forced American companies to outsource to china in the mid to late 90’s by opening our markets to chinese goods

We have to close that hole and begin producing in America again

Forum List

Back