OkCupid's ceo and the height of hypocricy

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
So this is the website that has outed the ceo of Mozilla and called for a boycott of Mozilla, because the ceo had donated to California's prop 8.

Well it turns out, the ceo of OkCupid has also in the past given to an anti-gay campaign as well :lol: Too funny !

OkCupid's CEO Donated to an Anti-Gay Campaign Once, Too

Last week, the online dating site OkCupid switched up its homepage for Mozilla Firefox users.*Upon opening the site,*a message appeared*encouraging members to curb their use of Firefox because the company's new CEO, Brendan Eich, allegedly opposes equality for gay couples—specifically, he donated $1000 to the campaign for the anti-gay Proposition 8 in 2008. "We've devoted the last ten years to bringing people—all people—together," the message read. "If individuals like Mr. Eich had their way, then roughly 8% of the relationships we've worked so hard to bring about would be illegal." The company's action went viral, and within a few days, Eich had*resigned as CEO*of Mozilla only weeks after taking up the post. On Thursday, OkCupid released*a statement*saying "We are pleased that OkCupid's boycott has brought tremendous awareness to the critical matter of equal rights for all individuals and partnerships."

But there's a hitch: OkCupid's*co-founder and CEO*Sam Yagan once donated to an anti-gay candidate. (Yagan is also CEO*of Match.com.) Specifically, Yagan*donated $500*to Rep. Chris Cannon (R-Utah) in 2004,*reportsUncrunched. During his time as congressman from 1997 to 2009, Cannon*voted*for a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, against a ban on sexual-orientation based job discrimination, and for prohibition of gay adoptions.

He's also voted for numerous anti-choice measures, earning a 0 percent rating from NARAL Pro Choice America. Among other measures, Cannon*voted for*laws prohibiting government from denying funds to medical facilities that withhold abortion information, stopping minors from crossing state lines to obtain an abortion, and banning family planning funding in US aid abroad. Cannon also earned a 7 percent rating from the ACLU for his poor civil rights voting record: He*voted to*amend FISA to allow warrant-less electronic surveillance, to allow NSA intelligence gathering without civil oversight, and*to reauthorize*the PATRIOT act.

Of course, it's been a decade since Yagan's donation to Cannon, and a decade or more since many of Cannon's votes on gay rights. It's possible that Cannon's opinions have shifted, or maybe his votes were more politics than ideology; a tactic by the Mormon Rep. to satisfy his Utah constituency. It's also quite possible that Yagan's politics have changed since 2004: He donated to Barack Obama's campaign in 2007 and 2008. Perhaps even Firefox's Eich has rethought LGBT equality since his 2008 donation. But OkCupid didn't include any such nuance in its take-down of Firefox. Combine that with the fact that the company helped force out one tech CEO for something its own CEO also did, and its action last week starts to look more like a PR stunt than an impassioned act of protest.*(Mother Jones*reached out to OkCupid for comment: We'll update this post if we receive a response.)

Update April 8, 2014, 12:30 p.m. PDT:*OkCupid CEO Sam Yagan provided a statement to*the*SF Chronicle*this morning clarifying the*intentions behind his donation to Cannon and his stance on gay rights. Here it is in full:

A decade ago, I made a contribution to Representative Chris Cannon because he was the ranking Republican on the House subcommittee that oversaw the Internet and Intellectual Property, matters important to my business and our industry.*I accept responsibility for not knowing where he stood on gay rights in particular; I unequivocally support marriage equality and I would not make that contribution again today.* However, a contribution made to a candidate with views on hundreds of issues has no equivalence to a contribution supporting Prop. 8, a single issue that has no purpose other than to affirmatively prohibit gay marriage, which I believe is a basic civil right.

OkCupid's CEO Donated to an Anti-Gay Campaign Once, Too | Mother Jones

• Banned
And then he contributed to Obama, another politician who was against gay marriage !

This dick has got to resign at once !

• Banned
And by the way, with this latest round of fascism, how come the left hasn't demanded that Al Sharpton resign from MSLSD ? Here's some of his past remarks about Gays:

at Kean College in 1994. “White folks was in caves while we was building empires,” Sharpton told the audience. “We taught philosophy and astrology and mathematics before Socrates and them Greek homos ever got around to it.”

So this is the website that has outed the ceo of Mozilla and called for a boycott of Mozilla, because the ceo had donated to California's prop 8.

Well it turns out, the ceo of OkCupid has also in the past given to an anti-gay campaign as well :lol: Too funny !

Last week, the online dating site OkCupid switched up its homepage for Mozilla Firefox users.*Upon opening the site,*a message appeared*encouraging members to curb their use of Firefox because the company's new CEO, Brendan Eich, allegedly opposes equality for gay couples—specifically, he donated $1000 to the campaign for the anti-gay Proposition 8 in 2008. "We've devoted the last ten years to bringing people—all people—together," the message read. "If individuals like Mr. Eich had their way, then roughly 8% of the relationships we've worked so hard to bring about would be illegal." The company's action went viral, and within a few days, Eich had*resigned as CEO*of Mozilla only weeks after taking up the post. On Thursday, OkCupid released*a statement*saying "We are pleased that OkCupid's boycott has brought tremendous awareness to the critical matter of equal rights for all individuals and partnerships."

But there's a hitch: OkCupid's*co-founder and CEO*Sam Yagan once donated to an anti-gay candidate. (Yagan is also CEO*of Match.com.) Specifically, Yagan*donated $500*to Rep. Chris Cannon (R-Utah) in 2004,*reportsUncrunched. During his time as congressman from 1997 to 2009, Cannon*voted*for a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, against a ban on sexual-orientation based job discrimination, and for prohibition of gay adoptions.

He's also voted for numerous anti-choice measures, earning a 0 percent rating from NARAL Pro Choice America. Among other measures, Cannon*voted for*laws prohibiting government from denying funds to medical facilities that withhold abortion information, stopping minors from crossing state lines to obtain an abortion, and banning family planning funding in US aid abroad. Cannon also earned a 7 percent rating from the ACLU for his poor civil rights voting record: He*voted to*amend FISA to allow warrant-less electronic surveillance, to allow NSA intelligence gathering without civil oversight, and*to reauthorize*the PATRIOT act.

Of course, it's been a decade since Yagan's donation to Cannon, and a decade or more since many of Cannon's votes on gay rights. It's possible that Cannon's opinions have shifted, or maybe his votes were more politics than ideology; a tactic by the Mormon Rep. to satisfy his Utah constituency. It's also quite possible that Yagan's politics have changed since 2004: He donated to Barack Obama's campaign in 2007 and 2008. Perhaps even Firefox's Eich has rethought LGBT equality since his 2008 donation. But OkCupid didn't include any such nuance in its take-down of Firefox. Combine that with the fact that the company helped force out one tech CEO for something its own CEO also did, and its action last week starts to look more like a PR stunt than an impassioned act of protest.*(Mother Jones*reached out to OkCupid for comment: We'll update this post if we receive a response.)

Update April 8, 2014, 12:30 p.m. PDT:*OkCupid CEO Sam Yagan provided a statement to*the*SF Chronicle*this morning clarifying the*intentions behind his donation to Cannon and his stance on gay rights. Here it is in full:

A decade ago, I made a contribution to Representative Chris Cannon because he was the ranking Republican on the House subcommittee that oversaw the Internet and Intellectual Property, matters important to my business and our industry.*I accept responsibility for not knowing where he stood on gay rights in particular; I unequivocally support marriage equality and I would not make that contribution again today.* However, a contribution made to a candidate with views on hundreds of issues has no equivalence to a contribution supporting Prop. 8, a single issue that has no purpose other than to affirmatively prohibit gay marriage, which I believe is a basic civil right.

So? A lot of people have changed their mind on gay marriage in ten years.
This is no smoking gun.

Sent from my iPhone using the tears of Raider's fans.

And by the way, with this latest round of fascism, how come the left hasn't demanded that Al Sharpton resign from MSLSD ? Here's some of his past remarks about Gays:

at Kean College in 1994. “White folks was in caves while we was building empires,” Sharpton told the audience. “We taught philosophy and astrology and mathematics before Socrates and them Greek homos ever got around to it.”

You need to look up what Fascism is, moron. The CEO of a company expressing his opinion on the site he owns is pretty much the exact opposite of fascism.

And then he contributed to Obama, another politician who was against gay marriage !

Resign from the companies he started? You are a moron.

This is no smoking gun.

Yes it is, the claim was made that simply because he exercised his political right to donate to a group he was evil and bad and should be shunned. And lo and behold the person attacking him donated to a similar cause.

But pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, right?

• Banned

This is no smoking gun.

Yes it is, the claim was made that simply because he exercised his political right to donate to a group he was evil and bad and should be shunned. And lo and behold the person attacking him donated to a similar cause.

The left will always excuse their side.

This is no smoking gun.

Ten years ago. And he didn't donate to an anti gay movement, he donated to a candidate..... TEN YEARS AGO.

And here is his statement from the link.
"A decade ago, I made a contribution to Representative Chris Cannon because he was the ranking Republican on the House subcommittee that oversaw the Internet and Intellectual Property, matters important to my business and our industry. I accept responsibility for not knowing where he stood on gay rights in particular; I unequivocally support marriage equality and I would not make that contribution again today. However, a contribution made to a candidate with views on hundreds of issues has no equivalence to a contribution supporting Prop. 8, a single issue that has no purpose other than to affirmatively prohibit gay marriage, which I believe is a basic civil right."

Like I said, no smoking gun. You guys are grasping at straws. Typical.

This is no smoking gun.

The left will always excuse their side.

Such an idiot.

Look up fascism yet?

This is no smoking gun.

Ten years ago. And he didn't donate to an anti gay movement, he donated to a candidate..... TEN YEARS AGO.

"A decade ago, I made a contribution to Representative Chris Cannon because he was the ranking Republican on the House subcommittee that oversaw the Internet and Intellectual Property, matters important to my business and our industry. I accept responsibility for not knowing where he stood on gay rights in particular; I unequivocally support marriage equality and I would not make that contribution again today. However, a contribution made to a candidate with views on hundreds of issues has no equivalence to a contribution supporting Prop. 8, a single issue that has no purpose other than to affirmatively prohibit gay marriage, which I believe is a basic civil right."

No one is grasping at straws genius, we're just pointing out some hypocrisy. This CEO has in his past the same sort of shit he's now charging someone else with.
Just because he now CLAIMS he has a different view doesn't excuse his past.

And by the way, more than half of voters in liberal California supported prop 8, do you moron liberals want them outed and fired too ?

No one is grasping at straws genius, we're just pointing out some hypocrisy. This CEO has in his past the same sort of shit he's now charging someone else with.

And by the way, more than half of voters in liberal California supported prop 8, do you moron liberals want them outed and fired too ?

You are grasping at straws. He clearly stated why he donated money, TEN YEARS AGO.
Ten years ago I donated to the church, it doesn't prove I am Christian today.
And who cares if he wanted them fired? I thought cons were all about the free market? I bet you support businesses denying service to gay people, but you don't support a company firing someone over their opinion? It works both ways, Bud.
It is so funny to see how hypocritical cons are on this issue.
Look up fascism yet?

Oh and by the way genius, this article comes from one of your favorite liberal rags.

My favorite liberal rag?
I read Mother Jones? That is news to me. I guess you are the genius.
And why does it matter where the article comes from?

You are grasping at straws. He clearly stated why he donated money, TEN YEARS AGO.
And who cares if he wanted them fired? I thought cons were all about the free market? I bet you support businesses denying service to gay people, but you don't support a company firing someone over their opinion? It works both ways, Bud.
Look up fascism yet?

Eich made his donation 6 years ago! 6 years, 10 years, really a difference? 6 years ago was the same timeframe people elected a man, Obama, who did not believe in gay marriage. Its nothing but BS to go a witch-hunt now. How can anyone who demanded Eich's ouster and voted for Obama not be called a hypocrite? Its absolutely laughable.

Eich and Obama believe the same during the same timeframe, but Obama was given a pass for his beliefs and elected president while Eich was pilloried for his belief, 6 years after the fact the thought police came calling.

Itpour encourager les autres

I wonder when the left will start to boycott Intel? Over 60 percent of their employees donated to prop8 according to Nate Silver and HP employees donated over 40k. Better start smashing all those phones, tables, and computers which use Intel products. And don't forget all of the hospitals who use Intel products as well like MRI machines and X-ray services.

Yet, that is EXACTLY what was demanded of Eich! Hummmmm

Brendan Eich is a co-founder of the Mozilla Foundation. Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that Eich had a hand in establishing the value framework there.

Brendan Eich And The Personal And Professional Life - Forbes

Beyond the donation made in 2008, there are no reported instances of Eich’s allegedly “homophobic” (a word that has been used repeatedly to describe him) behavior in a personal or professional context...So far, though, the case seems like a liberal version of the thought police, where an individual has been removed from a professional post because of his personal beliefs.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rakeshs...oundaries-of-personal-and-professional-lives/

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;8904672 said:

Brendan Eich is a co-founder of the Mozilla Foundation. Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that Eich had a hand in establishing the value framework there.

Beyond the donation made in 2008, there are no reported instances of Eich’s allegedly “homophobic” (a word that has been used repeatedly to describe him) behavior in a personal or professional context...So far, though, the case seems like a liberal version of the thought police, where an individual has been removed from a professional post because of his personal beliefs.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rakeshs...oundaries-of-personal-and-professional-lives/

That's up to Eich's board, and him. I wouldn't have resigned. Of course we all know Eich didn't lose any money on the deal. Plus it was his own employees who asked for resignation.
I find it funny he was only CEO for about two weeks. Lol

CaféAuLait;8904662 said:

Look up fascism yet?

Eich made his donation 6 years ago! 6 years, 10 years, really a difference? 6 years ago was the same timeframe people elected a man, Obama, who did not believe in gay marriage. Its nothing but BS to go a witch-hunt now. How can anyone who demanded Eich's ouster and voted for Obama not be called a hypocrite? Its absolutely laughable.

Eich and Obama believe the same during the same timeframe, but Obama was given a pass for his beliefs and elected president while Eich was pilloried for his belief, 6 years after the fact the thought police came calling.

Itpour encourager les autres

I wonder when the left will start to boycott Intel? Over 60 percent of their employees donated to prop8 according to Nate Silver and HP employees donated over 40k. Better start smashing all those phones, tables, and computers which use Intel products. And don't forget all of the hospitals who use Intel products as well like MRI machines and X-ray services.

Okay? I could really give two shits about Eich. I haven't used Firefox in years. I use either Chrome or Safari.
But I do realize in a free market he can be fired or forced to resign for any reason.

CaféAuLait;8904672 said:

That's up to Eich's board, and him. I wouldn't have resigned. Of course we all know Eich didn't lose any money on the deal. Plus it was his own employees who asked for resignation.
I find it funny he was only CEO for about two weeks. Lol

But your point was and I quote 'resign from his own company? You are a moron".

That is exactly what was asked of the co-founder of Mozilla by more than just his employee's. He was called 'homophobic' through the news, blogs and the by many on the left. However, many of those calling him homophobic for believing "marriage is between a man and a woman" ignored Obama's "homophobia" in believing the same way as Eich and elected him to be president. The we have the CEO of the company who called Eich out donating to a candidate who opposed gay marriage. Its hypocritical and BS, simple as that.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back