OHIO really, really wants to host the 2016 RNC

This thread prompted me to check the list of prior GOP conventions. They haven't won the state that hosted their.convention since 1992. Interesting.

Awww, he invited his buddies for a liberal circle jerk

how cute

anyone give a shit about where a convention is held?

just petty

Awww, he invited his buddies for a liberal circle jerk

how cute

anyone give a shit about where a convention is held?

just petty

Let the grownups have a conversation and stay the fuck out.

for sure that was real grown up of you
carry on little one...who even watches those things anymore, they've become so pathetic...Especially the Democrats..Like watching a repeat of the Wellstone funeral except in the twilight zone

Last edited by a moderator:
I was living in Charlotte when the DNC rolled in, in 2012. That was a mad house. I don't want the RNC coming to Vegas in 2016.

This thread prompted me to check the list of prior GOP conventions. They haven't won the state that hosted their.convention since 1992. Interesting.

There is no evidence that holding your party's convention in a city has any bearing on whether or not they win the state. The DNC was in Charlotte in 2012. Obama lost North Carolina after winning it the previous election.

There is no evidence that holding your party's convention in a city has any bearing on whether or not they win the state. The DNC was in Charlotte in 2012. Obama lost North Carolina after winning it the previous election.

You'd think they'd get it right at least one time.

[MENTION=21665]Dont Taz Me Bro[/MENTION]

Yes, that is correct. Thank you for noting that

Obama lost North Carolina narrowly, by -2.04%. It was one of Mitt Romney's only two pick-ups of election night 2012.

And yes, Romney lost Florida, by -0.88%.

In both cases, they were close races, probably kept close by the fact that the Convention was held there.

In 2008, McCain's convention was in Minnesota. He lost there by slightly over 10 points. Having the convention in a then 8-for-8, now 10-for-10 DEM state did not help him.

Obama's convention was in Denver. He picked-up that state, by almost 9 points. Having the convention in Denver most assuredly helped Obama flip that state, also with a lot of thanks to the Kerry campaign from 2004, which spent a helluva lot of time and resources softening that state up for the next cycle.

Now, 2004 was interesting: Bush 43 held his convention in NY, in NYC as a matter of fact, knowing full well that he was not going to win NY. But, his presence probably did help a number of down-ticket Republicans and Bush did lots of fundraising in NY. I bet that had he held his convention in Michigan, he would have picked up the Wolverine State. Still, in many ways, I think the RNC decision in 2004 was a smart one. Kerry, on the other hand, held his convention in Boston, a state he was guaranteed to win, but the selection of sight was long before Kerry was even on the radar map for the 2004 primaries. I bet it was more like a "we need a solid place to start" decision on the part of the DNC.

It's not just a state, but an entire geographic region that the parties usually look at when they decided on a location for a Convention. And usually when an incumbent is looking really good for re-election does his party pick a very safe state for a nomination convention:

Eisenhower - 1956 San Francisco, CA

From 1952-1988, 36 years, excepting 1964, CA was a very Republican state. Eisenhower carried CA in 1956 by exactly +11.11%. This state was never in play.

Nixon - 1972 Tampa, FL

From 1952-1992 (Bush 41 just barely carried it in 1992), excepting 1964 and 1976, Florida was very Republican state. Nixon tromped here in 1972 with a massive +44.12%, the largest winning margin for anyone since 1940. This state was never in play.

Reagan - 1984 Dallas, TX

Reagan ushered this state back into the GOP column with the Reagan Revolution in 1980, is is now a 9-for-9 GOP state. He won here in 1984 with a massive +27.50%. This state was never in play.

Clinton - 1996 Chicago, IL

Clinton ushered this state into the DEM column with the Clinton revolution in 1992, it is now a 6-for-6 DEM state. He won IL in 1996 with a landslide +17.51% margin, a margin almost as large as LBJ's from 1964 and larger than three of FDR's four winning margins in this state from 1932-1944. This state was never in play.

So, the choice of a sight often tells us how a party is summing up it's chances for the next election. It's not a partisan thing of me to mention that 3 cities in Ohio are actively seeking out the GOP convention. For the GOP, it only makes sense. If I were on the GOP team, I would be clawing like hell to get the RNC to take Columbus's bid, because the Columbus media market spans more of the state than either Cincy or Cleveland. And now, at least Columbus is seeking out the DEM convention as well.

Ohio (with Mississippi) was at the epicenter of Carter's win at 3:32 in the morning in 1976. Ohio put Clinton over the top at 10:57 PM on CNN in 1992. Ohio was officially decided at 1 pm on the day after the 2004 election - the entire election hung on Ohio. Ohio put Obama over the top at between 11:11-11:18 PM in 2012. It receives more ads than any other state. It was the most visited state in 2012 and in 2004 and the second most visited in 2008 (after Pennsylvania). It was the most polled state in 2012 and the second most polled state in 2008.

So, it's only logical that Ohio comes heavily into contention for Conventions for both parties, but it makes sense especially for the GOP.

Hope that information helped.

Unlike Stephanie, who only bitches and moans like a hurt little banshee, I actually provide information that is part of the public record, and in this case, also part of the Congressional record. Stephanie, sometimes information is just that: information. Learn to differentiate, if you are even capable of that.

Last edited:
What helps determine election results isn't so much a convention as it is appearing with the general public. Obama campaigned heavily in Ohio. Romney & McCain, not so much. People like to see the candidates in person, addressing local issues.

That said, I hope they have both conventions here. Columbus can have the RNC, Cleveland the DNC.

(Forget Cincy, they don't have a R&R Hall O' Fame. And LeBron might be back in Cleveland by then.:eusa_pray:)

What helps determine election results isn't so much a convention as it is appearing with the general public. Obama campaigned heavily in Ohio. Romney & McCain, not so much. People like to see the candidates in person, addressing local issues.

That said, I hope they have both conventions here. Columbus can have the RNC, Cleveland the DNC.

(Forget Cincy, they don't have a R&R Hall O' Fame. And LeBron might be back in Cleveland by then.:eusa_pray:)

Cleveland is a shit hole. That's the last place I'd hold a convention.

Cleveland is a shit hole. That's the last place I'd hold a convention.

No, crAkron is a shithole. Cleveland's not so bad.

Forum List

Back