Current Presidential polling in Kansas

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
Kansas

kansas-red.jpg

KANSAS, on the presidential level, has been a extremely reliable GOP state for most all of it's electoral history.

At the current time, the GOP field is ahead of Hillary Clinton, but not by much (between +7 and +9).

First, some background on KANSAS, over a number of helpful links.

All presidential election results for KANSAS since 1864:

http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/compare.php?year=2012&fips=20&f=1&off=0&elect=0&type=state

A electoral "bio" of KANSAS, from the end of 2011:

Statistikhengst's ELECTORAL POLITICS - 2013 and beyond: Rank 40 / 11: Kansas

2008 polling from KANSAS:

Statistikhengst's ELECTORAL POLITICS - 2013 and beyond: FINAL POLL CONVERGENCE, No. 12

(There were 24 Kansas polls Obama / McCain in 2008)

2012 polling from KANSAS:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...0U3aFBuT09zQ2xXQ29fTjlJRlE&usp=sharing#gid=32

(There was only one poll of Kansas in the year 2012)

There was only one poll of Kansas in 2013, from PPP (D):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...UJqa3MyUm5VUTg0dlRzaHZtaEE&usp=sharing#gid=17

Last week, on February 24th, a second PPP (D) poll of Kansas came out. The two Kansas polls are almost a year apart from each other, nonetheless, I will put the older values in parentheses. You will notice that there is no overlap between these two polls:

Clinton N/A (42)
Rubio N/A (47)
Margin: N/A (Rubio +5)

Clinton 39 (N/A)
Christie 46 (N/A)
Margin: Christie +7 (N/A)

Clinton 41 (N/A)
Paul 48 (N/A)
Margin: Paul +7 (N/A)

Clinton N/A (43)
Ryan N/A (50)
Margin: N/A (Ryan +7)

Clinton 42 (N/A)
Huckabee 49 (N/A)
Margin: Huckabee +7 (N/A)

Clinton 41 (N/A)
Bush, J. 50 (N/A)
Margin: Bush, J. +9 (N/A)

Since there is no overlap between the 2014 and the 2013 poll, there is no reason to compare margins between the old poll and the new one, and granted, a lot of time has passed, but we see a common margin of +7 for a GOP candidate alot: for Christie, Paul, Ryan and Huckabee.

As happened in Louisiana, it appears that Jeb Bush is profiting from Chris Christie's fall since Bridgegate.

Just to compare, Clinton was polled against the Republican field in Kansas in late 2007, before the DEM primaries of 2008:

Results of SurveyUSA Election Poll #13105

In that poll, McCain beat her by 23, Huckabee beat her by 14, Giuliani beat her by 11, Romney beat her by 7. In that poll, Obama performed similarly, but did much better against Romney.

Why is that important?​

Well, it's important because Kansas is supposed be a R +20 state AT LEAST, and I can prove it.

Here the Kansas margins in the last 12 cycles where the Republican won the national election as well:

1968: Nixon +20.13% (he won nationally by only +0.70%). His Kansas margin was 19.43% OVER his national margin.

1972: Nixon +38.15% (he won nationally by +23.15%). His Kansas margin was 15.00% OVER his national margin.

1980: Reagan +24.56% (he won nationally by +9.74%). His Kansas margin was 14.82% OVER his national margin.

1984: Reagan +33.67% (he won nationally by +18.22%). His Kansas margin was +15.45% OVER his national margin.

1988: Bush 41 +13.23% (he won nationally by +7.73%). His Kansas margin was 5.50% OVER his national margin.

2000: Bush 43 +20.80% (Gore won nationally by +0.52%). Bush 43's Kansas margin was 21.32% better than HIS national average.

2004: Bush 43 +25.38% (he won nationally by +2.46%). His Kansas margin 22.92% OVER his national margin.

In 6 of these seven elections, the Republican won Kansas with +20 or more.

WE also see that, on the average, a Republican who has won the White House has generally done between 15-20 points better in Kansas than nationally. This is how secure that state is. It is an absolute GOP bastion. The only Republican who won the national election in the last 46 years who won Kansas with less than +20 was Bush 41, but an unknown secret of that election is that Dukakis (D), though he lost in grand fashion, performed in the Breadbasket far better than one expected.

Now, let's see how KANSAS performed when a Democrat has won nationally:

1976: Ford +7.55% (and that was with Bob Dole of Kansas on the ticket - while Carter won nationally by +2.06%). Ford's Kansas margin was 9.61% better than HIS national margin.

1992: Bush 41 +5.14% (Clinton won nationally by +5.56%). Bush 41's Kansas margin was 10.70% better than HIS national margin.

1996: Dole +18.21% (Clinton won nationally by +8.52%). Dole's Kansas margin was 26.73% better than HIS national margin.

2008: McCain +14.92% (Obama won nationally by +7.26%). McCain's Kansas margin was 22.18% better than HIS national average.

2012: Romney +21.61% (Obama won nationally by +3.86%). Romney's Kansas margin was 25.47% better than HIS national average. Kansas pulled especially strongly for Romney in 2012.

So, we see that in 4 of 5 elections where the Democrat won nationally, the Republican won Kansas with less than +20. This is all part of the principle of "a rising tide lifts all boats".

So, for Hillary Clinton to be at only -6 to -9 against prospective GOP candidates is a bad sign for the GOP.

Do I think Hillary can win Kansas? No. Whoever is the GOP nominee is going to win this state.

The last time a Democrat won here was LBJ, in 1964, and in order to pull Kansas +9.01% across the line into the Democratic column, it took a +22.58% national win to do it. Extrapolating that out, knowing that this state can go as far as 25 points against a Democratic national margin (see above), just to really have a shot that this state, Hillary would have to be at or above +18 in national polling, and that is not going to happen.

But again, if these kind of margins hold in Kansas, then that is bad news for the GOP. Caveat: these are only two polls and we have a long way to go.

Looking back at 2008 again, of those 24 Obama Kansas polls, he was behind McCain in single digits in only three of those 24, and that was early on. In most of the polls, McCain was ahead by between +17 and +20. So, it is very likely that the GOP margins here will increase. In fact, I am expecting that they will. But Hillary should never be at +6 behind ANY Republican in Kansas, ever.

There is one more reason why I like to take the pulse of Kansas. When SUSA (SurveyUSA) does national polling on hot-button issues, it usually polls three specific states, one Liberal, one Conservative and one that is very "tossupy": California, Kansas and Florida.

FACIT: it's just a couple of polls thus far, but a baseline is now established. The GOP is going to win this state in 2016, but the margins (as in Louisiana, as in Kentucky) will surely be indicative of who is winning on the national front. Electoral history proves this immediately.

Last edited:
  • Banned
[MENTION=36528]cereal_killer[/MENTION] [MENTION=18645]Sarah G[/MENTION] . [MENTION=45104]WelfareQueen[/MENTION] [MENTION=20412]JakeStarkey[/MENTION] [MENTION=20321]rightwinger[/MENTION] [MENTION=42916]Derideo_Te[/MENTION] [MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION] [MENTION=40845]Jeremiah[/MENTION] [MENTION=11278]editec[/MENTION] [MENTION=3135]jillian[/MENTION] [MENTION=31258]BDBoop[/MENTION] [MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION] [MENTION=20704]Nosmo King[/MENTION] [MENTION=32558]Luddly Neddite[/MENTION] [MENTION=46804]RandomVariable[/MENTION] [MENTION=40845]Jeremiah[/MENTION] [MENTION=21679]william the wie[/MENTION]

The usual mention list....

anyone else want on the list?

Last edited:
I studiously avoid party politics.

I have no confidence in polling, anyway.

Perhaps if the DEMS nominated Eliz Warren I might be persuaded that the D party is anything other than a shadow puppet show designed to wow liberals who suffer from magical thinking.

• Banned
I studiously avoid party politics.

I have no confidence in polling, anyway.

Perhaps if the DEMS nominated Eliz Warren I might be persuaded that the D party is anything other than a shadow puppet show designed to wow liberals who suffer from magical thinking.

Let's deal with that for a second.

I don't trust any one single individual poll. But a slew of polls all showing the same, or similar results, they cannot all be wrong.

And experience and success in electoral predictions has taught me that the polling average is more often than not much more accurate than we want to admit.

Ohio polling average, last 3 days before the November election: Obama +3.16

Actual result: Obama +2.97

difference: 0.19% - that is, for all intents and purposed, statistical noise.

The polling WAS accurate, when looked at as a composite.

Frankly I'm ready to see a mixed ticket.
A Conservative Republican president who can clean
Up our foreign policy and recoup our taxes paid
Into foreign countries by converting these into microloans.

With a Democrat capable of reworking all the messed up
Domestic policies and redirecting these to be managed by party, by
Political or business nonprofits, schools or charities,
And only leave the minimal govt under the constitution
That all ppl agree is necessary to pay for with mandatory taxes.

The rest can be funded vountarily, such as lending donating or
Investing money into govt and choosing where it goes.

How about USMB put out a job desciption of what each
Group or party wants in a pres, VP, abd Cabinet, and we
Interview candidates and start forming our own dream team?

Kansas absolutely will go Red in 2016.

We all said HRC was the undisputable nominee in 2008, and . . .

CrusaderFrank can offer interesting comments, but, yes, CF is a homer of his side.

Kansas absolutely will go Red in 2016.

We all said HRC was the undisputable nominee in 2008, and . . .

CrusaderFrank can offer interesting comments, but, yes, CF is a homer of his side.

Absolutely, I did not indicate otherwise. The point was to establish a baseline and note that at this time, the margins are currently too lean for Kansas.

Last edited:
You are absolutely more than entitled to your opinion, which I do not share.
As already mentioned on another thread I think you are discounting economic problems that are compounding:

IL has been in default on non-bonded debt for years and it has the lowest bond rating of any state in the union.

CA has guaranteed municipal junk bonds and it is now the 12th largest economy in the world whereas at one time it was 8th. 13th or less likely 14th by election day is well within the realm of possibility now that SF activists are staging the counter-revenge of the nerds. Cheap housing relative to San Jose plus Chinese ex-pats is causing real estate appreciation that is being blamed for long term residents moving to OR or WA.

NY Cuomo's New New York initiative is slowing but not stopping much less reversing capital and talent flight.

On the otherhand the Ds in FL have gone with the one candidate, Christ, that Scott could possibly beat. That has me at least scratching my head. TX is shifting from extreme hard right to moderately hard right to get rid of some of the wildly popular tinhats they have. And that is the good news got the Ds.

You are absolutely more than entitled to your opinion, which I do not share.
As already mentioned on another thread I think you are discounting economic problems that are compounding:

IL has been in default on non-bonded debt for years and it has the lowest bond rating of any state in the union.

CA has guaranteed municipal junk bonds and it is now the 12th largest economy in the world whereas at one time it was 8th. 13th or less likely 14th by election day is well within the realm of possibility now that SF activists are staging the counter-revenge of the nerds. Cheap housing relative to San Jose plus Chinese ex-pats is causing real estate appreciation that is being blamed for long term residents moving to OR or WA.

NY Cuomo's New New York initiative is slowing but not stopping much less reversing capital and talent flight.

On the otherhand the Ds in FL have gone with the one candidate, Christ, that Scott could possibly beat. That has me at least scratching my head. TX is shifting from extreme hard right to moderately hard right to get rid of some of the wildly popular tinhats they have. And that is the good news got the Ds.

And my point is it's not my job to factor in anything else when polling numbers come in. This is what the people are saying when they are being polled. If an economic catastrophe happens and that is definitely to the detriment of one candidate/one party, then we will surely see that in the polling numbers. But I don't weight them and I don't try to interpret them through any lens other than historical precedent, for I think that is the only lens that is acceptable. See: OP

Forum List

Back