Oh, Yes, About that "Liberal" Cally Judge

Oscar Wao

Victory is Mine
Dec 15, 2008
Munster, IN
Reagan-Appointed Judge Strikes Down Gay Marriage Ban | Cato @ Liberty

Chuck Donovan of the Heritage Foundation denounces Judge Vaughn Walker for “extreme judicial activism” and “judicial tyranny” in striking down California’s Proposition 8, which barred gay people from marrying. And of course he doesn’t fail to note that Judge Walker sits in . . . San Francisco. Robert Knight of Coral Ridge Ministries ups the ante: Judge Walker has “contempt for the rule of law” and is part of “the criminalization of not only Christianity but of the foundational values of civilization itself.” National Review allows the head of the National Organization for Marriage to mutter about the judge’s “personal bias.” Blog commenters rail against the “left-wing liberal judge.”

In fact, Judge Walker was first appointed to the federal bench by President Ronald Reagan in 1987, at the recommendation of Attorney General Edwin Meese III (now the Ronald Reagan Distinguished Fellow in Public Policy and Chairman of the Center for Legal and Judicial Studies at the Heritage Foundation). Democratic opposition led by Sen. Alan Cranston (D-CA) prevented the nomination from coming to a vote during Reagan’s term. Walker was renominated by President George H. W. Bush in February 1989. Again the Democratic Senate refused to act on the nomination. Finally Bush renominated Walker in August, and the Senate confirmed him in December.

Interesting stuff...gotta love The CATO Institute!

There are further details at link.

It's not who appointed him...it's about who he's about and what he believes. I only provided the first two paragraphs due to that whole "fair use" thing. The real details that prove my point are after the appointing paragraphs.

It's not who appointed him...it's about who he's about and what he believes. I only provided the first two paragraphs due to that whole "fair use" thing. The real details that prove my point are after the appointing paragraphs.

Not that I don't agree with your post, but if the following paragraphs really prove your point, why didn't you post them, and not the ones you did post?

Never mind what does or doesn't "prove your point". I'm still trying to figure out what your point IS.

But Ronald Reagan never made a mistake.
And I don't believe he made one in this instance.
I consider myself a Reagan fan and, much to the chagrin of far-left liberals, a believer in his "trickle-down" economic philosophy.
Bur I've never known Ronnie to be against equal rights, so I think this judge ruled just as the Gipper would have.

I just think this whole gay-marriage bullshit is over-rated.
Why shouldn't they be allowed to be sued for half their shit, too?

Regardless of who appointed this judge, the judge was correct in throwing out proposition 8, though not correct in the reasoning. Prop 8 should have been thrown out because the voters of California have no right to tell a religion how to define marriage.

Regardless of who appointed this judge, the judge was correct in throwing out proposition 8, though not correct in the reasoning. Prop 8 should have been thrown out because the voters of California have no right to tell a religion how to define marriage.

Religion can still define marriaige any way they want. It is the State of California that must not discriminate.

There is no way a persons Civil Rights should be voted on

Religion can still define marriaige any way they want. It is the State of California that must not discriminate.

Marriage isn't a civil right. The only "right" as far as marriage is concerned is the right of the private religion to define marriage as it sees fit. If a religion decides not to allow gay marriage then the state of California does not, nor does anybody else, have the right to force them to marry gay people.

Can't be so.... Reagan was a homophobic biggot.... or at least thats what you hypocritical liberals tell us.

What, Ronaldus Magnus nominated an activist homo loving loving judge? Say it isn't so.

This is not the first time a non-biased President nominated a judge on merit rather then a limus test.

In all honesty do you think a Democrat would be that fair-minded?

Absolutely. Why, just look at George W. Bush and the appointments he made to the U.S. Supreme Court. Fair minded as can be. Nothing partisan there.

Marriage isn't a civil right. The only "right" as far as marriage is concerned is the right of the private religion to define marriage as it sees fit. If a religion decides not to allow gay marriage then the state of California does not, nor does anybody else, have the right to force them to marry gay people.

So, there is no such thing as a legal/civil marriage? The only marriages that exist are those done by religions?

Forum List

Back