Interesting argument against the Ground Zero Mosque

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Charles_Main, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    So, Let me start by saying I am not making this argument. I heard someone make it today and wanted to know what others thought of it as I found it rather compelling.

Note (I am personally leaning towards being oppose to the mosque being built where they want. But do not think we have a legal means to stop it, and would not support a non legal means)

The argument is that Islam has a tradition of building mosques on sites they have concurred. Now I do not even know it that is true. I mean we all know about the dome of the rock in Israel, but is this something they do all the time? Is it tradition to build mosques on the sites of some victory? If so how do you feel about the Mosque held in that light?

My personal Leaning towards being against it has to do with the loss of life at Ground Zero, The planned Mosques proximity to it, and the fact that the building they want to tear down actually had the landing gear of one of the planes that hit the WTC crash into it. That is How close it is to the site. I feel like they could build it just a few more blocks away and it will alleviate most of the angst about it. I feel that if this mosque and community center is really about reaching out to us, then they should respect the feelings of almost 70% of Americans and build it somewhere else. After all how can you reach out when you are doing something that many Americans are against?

We allow Mosques to be build all over the country, so this is not about discrimination, it is about the site, and the history of it.

However all that said, like I said I do not see any legal way left to stop it, and would not support any non legal way, So while I am personally opposed to it, I recognize their right to build it.

2. R.C. Christian

R.C. Christian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,195
    Like I said, this will draw radicals because of it's significance. Law enforcement can have a field day conducting surveilance on every meteorite worshipper that frequents the place. Not too big a tradgedy. In the end the naysayers will get to say "I told you so" if their arguments hold water.

3. B. Kidd

B. Kidd Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,856
    They do have the legal right to build it. But, if moderate Muslims were respectful and sensitive to the issue, they would not follow through with building that mosque. Some moderate Muslims have posed, that they're building the mosque to honor the memory of 9/11 victims, but I don't buy that; otherwise they would also incorporate a non-denominational christian chapel and synagogue on the same site if those motives were truly compelling.
    Therefore, I believe their motives are political and it also calls into question, in my mind, if there is actually such a Muslim follower, that is truly moderate.

4. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,942
    They're doing it to test the will of the American people. They know what happened just a few blocks away, and they know they're pissing off lots of people and being insensitive. But islam isn't about sensitivity. It's about taking over where ever they can. So if our laws are going to actually help them, they're going to exploit them. It's an "in your fucking face you infidel scum" move for that mosque to be built there, and those fucking muslims know it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    Do we live up to our values of freedom of religion. or do we do everything we can to stop this?

I say let them be. Ignore it and they will lose the controversy. Fan the flames and people will be more aware and it becomes a symbol. Symbols only have meaning if we give it to them.

6. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,942
    If that's the way it is, then I suggest we invite Japan to build a temple to Shinto and/or Buddhism at Pearl Harbor. Let's just say "nothing is off limits in America." There are no boundaries. Have your fun killing us and then build a shrine to celebrate right on top of it. Yeah, that's us Americans. We don't consider anything off limits. We don't give a shit. Just go ahead. It's alright. We're all tolerant. Don't you just love us?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Uh. There are already Shinto temples/shrines in Hawaii. One is five miles away from Pearl Harbor.

8. Sherry

Sherry You're not the boss of me Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,082
    Immediately following Pearl Harbor, the government (FDR's administration) closed area Japanese schools and Shinto and Buddhist temples.

9. B. Kidd

B. Kidd Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,856

Not within 2 blocks of the U.S.S. Arizona, tho.

10. Woyzeck

Woyzeck Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Presumably you meant conquered, but no, they built the Dome of the Rock where they did, because they believe that's the location where Muhammad ascended to heaven. Muslims these days build mosques for the same reason Christians build churches. It's a place of worship.

Honestly guys? This is a relative non-issue. There's no reason to panic or anything over this, it's an Islamic community center, the mosque isn't really meant to be the main attraction. The organization and the guy behind it all are seeking to better relations and understanding of Islam in the West. He's even gone on record saying that he thinks terrorism and fanaticism have no place in Islam. Muslims were killed during the WTC attacks too, remember.

If you assume that all Muslims across the world are the same as their worst members (i.e., terrorists), then its only fair if we do the same to members of other religions, too. It would mean that all Christians must want to bomb Oklahoma (which I hear there are Christian churches built near the site of the bombing there), or be as wacko as David Koresh.