Official Dow 10,000 thread

Hey traitor,

did you give bush credit when it hit 14,000?

Dear Elvis:

Under my leadership, the Dow went from 3300 to 13000.

Signed,

Bill Clinton

I'm sure chrissy lewinsky will be on to say it was all Clinton's doing.

Clinton can have a whole room of Monicas. The DOW went up 10,000 points under his tenure.

Obama can have all of the BBB he wants if the DOW goes up 10,000 under his tenure as well.

Dear Elvis:

Signed,

Bill Clinton

Clinton can have a whole room of Monicas. The DOW went up 10,000 points under his tenure.

Obama can have all of the BBB he wants if the DOW goes up 10,000 under his tenure as well.

I'm sure Clinton will and does and Kirky would be happy to oblige. What did the market do under Reagan? How much of the growth under clinton was because of the tech boom? The market was on its way down when clinton left.

I'm sure Clinton will and does and Kirky would be happy to oblige. What did the market do under Reagan? How much of the growth under clinton was because of the tech boom? The market was on its way down when clinton left.

The first year under Reagan's tenue, the market lost. It went from 947 - 847. Back then, 100 points was a lot. Today, it's chump change.

Only by the end of 1982, after Reagan RAISED taxes on the wealthiest, did the market go up and breached 1000 for the first time.

In fact, the market was on its way up to 3000 until the big crash of 1987. It didn't re-gain that until Bush took office in the 1990s. But we ended Reagan's term with around 2200 or sow on the DOW. Nice little gain. Today the market goes up and down 1000 points in a week or so. I really doubt the days of up 50, down 30 are ever going to return. There is so much volatility in the market right now.

i think tomorrow the market will sell off a little on the unemployment number and profit taking.

i think tomorrow the market will sell off a little on the unemployment number and profit taking.

Nope. Since unemployment started going up, every time they announce it, the market goes up over 100 points.

Big day coming up with 8.5% unemployment. If the number is lower, big big day.

Last edited:

Nope. Since unemployment started going up, every time they announce it, the market goes up over 100 points.

8.5% isn't a good number but i guess the market is becoming resilent to bad numbers. we will see what happens when Q1 numbers come out.

Last edited:

8.5% isn't a good number but i guess the market is becoming resilent to bad numbers. we will see what happens when Q1 numbers come out.

I wouldn't be surprised if we had a -10 handle in Q1.

Foreign markets were mixed last night, with modest numbers either way. Our market seems to move almost in lockstep with the foreign markets, at least in value.

Today was setting up to be a small movement either way, and it ended up being exactly that. I'm actually a little surprised it finished in the green.

Oil rebounded nicely, which is good for my portfolio :D Having a nice little oil position is great, because if the price of oil goes up you profit, and if it comes down you save at the pump. It's win-win and I would recommend it for anyone's portfolio right now. My position is DXO, because I'm addicted to the 2X's.

I'm a buyer on the first dip before Q1's, because I just have a crazy feeling that it's going to be surprisingly better than expected.

Don't forget too, April is historically a good month for securities. So grab your positions on dips, because this could be a really profitable month.

Last edited:

I'm a buyer on the first dip before Q1's, because I just have a crazy feeling that it's going to be surprisingly better than expected.

Don't forget too, April is historically a good month for securities. So grab your positions on dips, because this could be a really profitable month.

will do paulie thanks for the tip.

In real terms, we're at 1995 levels:

RDrecDJIA111708.gif

(p.s. notice how inflation is the cause of all bubbles/recessions)

I don't care about nominal values of the stock market as much as I do the real values. In other words, the dollar needs to gain, and the rest will fall into place. As long as inflation is 5% or higher, than having a stock yielding a P/E of 5 means I just about broke even, no?

:woohoo:

DIAMONDS TRUST SER 1
(NYSEArca: DIA)

After Hours: 84.97 Down 0.15 (0.18%) 4:30PM EThelp
Last Trade: 85.12
Trade Time: 4:00pm ET
Change: Up 2.34 (2.83%)
Prev Close: 82.78
Open: 83.58
Bid: 84.99 x 500
Ask: 85.04 x 600
NAV¹: 82.69
Day's Range: 83.50 - 85.12
52wk Range: 64.78 - 131.26
Volume: 12,667,993
Avg Vol (3m): 24,014,800
YTD Return (Mkt)²: -12.53%
Net Assets²: 6.98B
P/E (ttm)²: 11.95
Yield (ttm)²: 3.58%

DIA: Summary for DIAMONDS TRUST SER 1 - Yahoo! Finance

We're up 2000 points since March. We are on target to hit 10,000 around July, just as I predicted.

We're up 227 points right now at 8720. This is also a stable surge as we haven't dropped below 8700 all day.

If we close at 8700 today, we still have close to 60 days to gain 1300 points.

we are gonna have seesaw days. some that are good and some that are bad. all that has to happen to go on the downside again is for something spook the market. i still say your 10,000 dow prediction is very far fetched.

Dear Elvis:

Signed,

Bill Clinton

The DOW went up 10,000 points for two reasons under Clinton, and neither had a damn thing to do with Clinton. The driving force behind the huge economic growth of the 90's was almost entirely driven by the advent of computers and cell phones. Nobody had them and everybody wanted them, and it wasn't just individuals but businesses also. This new demand for new products, that btw were not cheap, drove the rest of the economy to into a frenzy.

When we compare today to the early 90's, we see a very different picture. There are no new products to drive the economy as we had in the 90's. And now, even the advances being made in computer technology seem to be minor rather than major leaps and bounds, so there is nothing driving this economy.

If and when we find some new "must have" product, then maybe we will again see the kind of growth that could be compared to the 90's. If not, we better find a way to concentrate on once again producing the everyday products that Americans need and use. Otherwise, real growth will be minimal. As for potential new products, the only thing I can see as even a remote possibility, would be in the area of alternative energy. The thing about new products and ideas is that most people, myself included, really can't picture something new and of that magnitude, until we actually see it.

Anyway, DOW 10,0000? I'm sticking to DOW 6000 before 10,0000. I don't think we've seen the worst of this mess yet.

So, the market is rallying beyond all hopes and dreams and is up 10%+ since last week, which means we're well on our way to DOW 10,000.

I believe we'll see DOW 10,000 sometime during the summer. So, any of you believe we'll see DOW 10,000 this year?

Before Mid-2010 ...
Emmm I don't have solid ground to cite my indication but it's just in my mind ..

Forum List

Back