Ocean Cruise Facts/Factors

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have written before in this space that Holland America compares unfavorably with Viking, primarily due to items that are INCLUDED in the price of the Viking cruise that Holland America charges extra for. I'm speaking of soft drinks, beer, table wine, basic excursions, and things of that nature. Having completed my current 12-day Mediterranean cruise, this is all borne out. Indeed, H-A virtually bombards you with requests and demands for more money constantly during your cruise. The entire transparent purpose of this charade is to enable them to advertise a "low" price for their cruises, while requiring an additional 25% or so in bullshit fees to cover the actual price.

For example, the suggested gratuity for all the Little People who make your cruise memorable is $16 per person, per day. 12-Day cruise...do the math...$384. Internet service (which I understand is neither constant nor reliable ranges from roughly $12/day to more than thirty, depending on how serious you are about your internet.

I'm told that we will be getting a customer satisfaction survey by email sometime during the next few days. The several staff members who spoke on the subject made it clear that nothing short of a 10/10 would be satisfactory, and we should make a note of the names of those who worked with us best. In fact, the waiter who served our table in the (sort-of formal) dining room was possibly the best of his station that I've ever experienced, He knew our names after one day, our preferences for both food and drink as soon as they were expressed by us. Since I will never cruise with them again, I wonder if it makes any sense to even complete the survey.

I have heard Holland America doesn't stop charging you fees.

We are looking at maybe taking a cruise in the winter of 2024 or the spring of 2025.

Since I will never cruise with them again, I wonder if it makes any sense to even complete the survey.
I'd take the survey and be honest about the experience, especially in complimenting any of the crew that went above and beyond in their service. I'd also be honest about how annoying it was to be constantly hounded for extra fees.

Like many things, cruises are boring...if you are a boring person to start with. Cruising is BASICALLY about venues. If you can't think of anything to entertain yourself in 12 hours at, say, Vienna, Paris, Berlin, Barcelona, Athens, Rome, or Edinburg, then YOU are boring. Cruises pamper you with good food and service, but YOU have to participate intelligently in selecting your activities to make the most of it.

If you are bored, it's your own damn fault.

I have written before in this space that Holland America compares unfavorably with Viking, primarily due to items that are INCLUDED in the price of the Viking cruise that Holland America charges extra for. I'm speaking of soft drinks, beer, table wine, basic excursions, and things of that nature. Having completed my current 12-day Mediterranean cruise, this is all borne out. Indeed, H-A virtually bombards you with requests and demands for more money constantly during your cruise. The entire transparent purpose of this charade is to enable them to advertise a "low" price for their cruises, while requiring an additional 25% or so in bullshit fees to cover the actual price.

For example, the suggested gratuity for all the Little People who make your cruise memorable is $16 per person, per day. 12-Day cruise...do the math...$384. Internet service (which I understand is neither constant nor reliable ranges from roughly $12/day to more than thirty, depending on how serious you are about your internet.

I'm told that we will be getting a customer satisfaction survey by email sometime during the next few days. The several staff members who spoke on the subject made it clear that nothing short of a 10/10 would be satisfactory, and we should make a note of the names of those who worked with us best. In fact, the waiter who served our table in the (sort-of formal) dining room was possibly the best of his station that I've ever experienced, He knew our names after one day, our preferences for both food and drink as soon as they were expressed by us. Since I will never cruise with them again, I wonder if it makes any sense to even complete the survey.
I have heard the same criticism from family members who have gone on cruises. The cheaper cruise lines actually cost you more in the end when you add all the extra charges in.

I have heard the same criticism from family members who have gone on cruises. The cheaper cruise lines actually cost you more in the end when you add all the extra charges in.
It can be. However, each cruise line may cater to different crowds at least in some of the cruises. Carnival is livelier as a percentage of cruises and is cheaper cruise line if you look for prices and dates. Add things in and the price goes up.

And fattening.
amen.jpg

Don't do it. You get a real unsettling feeling if there is nothing but endless water around you. Maybe one of them river cruises in Europe.

Forum List

Back