Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Well:
  • Preserving and presenting its history to tourists,
  • Infrastructure (paid for by horrific gas taxes),
  • Food...NOT Fast Food,
  • Languages - you can get around anywhere speaking only English,
  • Education and healthcare , as well as the near-eradication of poverty (is it "political" to point this out?
  • Bicycles - bike lanes and bike roads are ubiquitous,
  • Architecture - they are willing to spend extra to make a building beautiful,
  • Residential construction - meant to last forever.

Not so well:
  • Public toilets - the shortage of them is astounding,
  • Signage generally,
  • Human reproduction - must rely on immigration from "shit-hole" countries to even maintain their population levels,
  • Street signs - do not exist in most places, especially important big cities,
  • Fighting graffiti,
  • Residential construction - most people cannot afford (or even come close to affording) a house of their own.
Also, they are not as impacted by the obesity epidemic as the U.S. Most young adults that you see out and about look healthy and fit.

Well:
  • Preserving and presenting its history to tourists,
  • Infrastructure (paid for by horrific gas taxes),
  • Food...NOT Fast Food,
  • Languages - you can get around anywhere speaking only English,
  • Education and healthcare , as well as the near-eradication of poverty (is it "political" to point this out?
  • Bicycles - bike lanes and bike roads are ubiquitous,
  • Architecture - they are willing to spend extra to make a building beautiful,
  • Residential construction - meant to last forever.

Not so well:
  • Public toilets - the shortage of them is astounding,
  • Signage generally,
  • Human reproduction - must rely on immigration from "shit-hole" countries to even maintain their population levels,
  • Street signs - do not exist in most places, especially important big cities,
  • Fighting graffiti,
  • Residential construction - most people cannot afford (or even come close to affording) a house of their own.
Also, they are not as impacted by the obesity epidemic as the U.S. Most young adults that you see out and about look healthy and fit.
Face it. Europe is like a camping trip compared to the US. I couldn't wait to get back home from the UK this past spring. The reason they aren't affected by obesity is because there is nothing good to eat. I felt nauseous from beginning to end, starting with the "Big Irish Breakfast" which featured this gross "pudding" that I tasted for two days. Everything had this weird taste, from the boiled potatoes to the fried eggs, and baked beans they served every morning for breakfast. I went to this buffet the locals raved about, and I couldn't find anything to eat. There wasn't much of anything, and what was there was odd.

Wise travelers don't compare the local foods to what they have "back home," but just try to accept what they love.

I can't do this myself, but I'm told that it's the right attitude.

Ironically, I am traveling in the U.S. right now, and my Nav took me through several miles of DC suburbs, all beautiful tree lined streets with modest-to-opulent suburban homes, and a few urban parks. It occurred to me that this doesn't exist in Europe. 90% of the population lives in apartment buildings. That would suck.

What Europe does not do well -- preserve their culture.

They are too busy celebrating diversity to actually protect that diversity.

Forum List

Back