Obama to announce pay freeze for federal workers

I couldn't support that.

Most of the elderly get thier mail that way, and many countries rely on it to get letters to and from America.

Like Veterans.

There would still be "snail mail". It would just be delivered by FedEx, DHL, UPS, and whatever other companies form from the buying and selling of the assets of the bankrupt USPS.

Heck, you might have the same mailman just in a different uniform.

Great. Lower wages, less benefits for the worker bee, and greater income for the CEO's and stock holders. Just what conservatives want, a redistribution of the wealth, from the middle class to the leisure class.
Guess what happens when the expectations of the middle class for a better life are frustrated?

In the case of UPS they have an OK union, I did fine there while in college. I think fedEx has a union too. I also worked at a private company called Emery Worldwide (since bought by CF, I think) for decent blue collar pay.

I'm for the middle class. The idea is to stop our government servants from becoming the leisure class at my expense.

There would still be "snail mail". It would just be delivered by FedEx, DHL, UPS, and whatever other companies form from the buying and selling of the assets of the bankrupt USPS.

Great. Lower wages, less benefits for the worker bee, and greater income for the CEO's and stock holders. Just what conservatives want, a redistribution of the wealth, from the middle class to the leisure class.
Guess what happens when the expectations of the middle class for a better life are frustrated?

On AVERAGE, a USPS "carrier" makes nearly $52,000.00 annually. A Postmaster (whatever the hell that is) makes nearly $72,000.00 annually, not inlcuding their benefits. Please tell me you are not REALLY crying for these people?

PayScale - U.S. Postal Service (USPS) Employer Salary, Average Salaries

I'm not sure what happened in the OP but your Google-Fu is stronger than I gave you credit for at the start.

:D

I couldn't support that.

Most of the elderly get thier mail that way, and many countries rely on it to get letters to and from America.

Like Veterans.

AND....FedEx, UPS, et al would raise the rates to high people would eventually stop using snail mail altogether. It would be a win-win-WIN!

Actually no.

Since they are in direct compatition, rates may even go down.

Wow... interesting words coming from someone who routinely bashes Sarah Palin for everything from the price of eggs to AIDS in Africa.

Your feigned sense of fairness takes disingenuousness to a whole new level!

Really? Now, to be specific, would that be the COUNTRY or CONTINENT of Africa you speak of?

Africa's a continent you Goober.

I know you can't see the irony in this, and I am loving it. Thank you.

On AVERAGE, a USPS "carrier" makes nearly $52,000.00 annually. A Postmaster (whatever the hell that is) makes nearly $72,000.00 annually, not inlcuding their benefits. Please tell me you are not REALLY crying for these people?

I'm not sure what happened in the OP but your Google-Fu is stronger than I gave you credit for at the start.

Google-Fu?

It's a nice gesture but way too little way too late. He has added Millions & Millions more Government Workers,so this really wont matter much in the end. It is a nice gesture though. I'll give him that.

That is really hard to do since there are only 3 million Govt Workers

But I'm sure you have the facts to back it up

AND....FedEx, UPS, et al would raise the rates to high people would eventually stop using snail mail altogether. It would be a win-win-WIN!

Actually no.

Since they are in direct compatition, rates may even go down.

True that, and they are far from the only players. DHL, CF, hell the Airlines would get more involved than they are now to stuff any free cargo space with paying customers. That's how capitalism spells "win".

Leaving aside that defending USPS (where the government has a monopoly on making the rules that the other team has to play by) in an era where despite that the privates are winning with one hand tied behind their backs and the USPS is bankrupt is crazy bone-headed.

Two Thumbs

Department of State (DOS) I think the states can run themselves

Best comment of the day!

Hillary Clinton has done such a fine job "running the States"

Google-Fu?

Unlike the OP, you did not upend your own argument with your own link. You provided a valid link making a great case stronger.

But really, you couldn't google "google-fu" to confirm my faith? :tongue::lol:

Urban Dictionary: google-fu

Let's compare, shall we:

May 2009 National Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates

Last edited:
I like the idea and I applaud Obama for doing it.

Next step, start cutting entire departments. It is time to get serious about cutting spending.

Fair enough. Is the Department of Defense on the table?

Yes. I served in the Military so I know that there is plenty of fraud, waste and abuse that can be cut from the DOD without effecting troop morale or readiness. Not to mention the bases we can close in foreign lands. It is time for Europe (and others) to defend themselves or PAY us for our services.

I like the idea and I applaud Obama for doing it.

Next step, start cutting entire departments. It is time to get serious about cutting spending.

Yes. I served in the Military so I know that there is plenty of fraud, waste and abuse that can be cut from the DOD without effecting troop morale or readiness. Not to mention the bases we can close in foreign lands. It is time for Europe (and others) to defend themselves or PAY us for our services.

I recall standing 'garbage watch' on the fantail of a DD in the Pacific; when given command we dumped food, lots and lots of food, into the sea. Good food by the way, not the food left over on the trays uneaten after each meal.
I wonder if that is still going on, or if the Navy has learned to serve leftovers like most of us do at home.

The far right, as represented here by the proud and loud members of the echo chamber offer the usual platitudes, making them nothing more (and much less) then elected Republicans. Of course no real and practical ideas ever are offered by these dimwits - elected or self appointed,

Why not turn back spending to 1980 or even 1880? Why not terminate the employment of 400,000 Federal employees? [yep, let's fire the whole dept. of education - tomorrow.] Never a thought to the consequences of such action, the idea that such a policy might cause great harm never occurs to them, and in this lies their strength, for they truly believe the end justifies the means.

A two year freeze is a start, now how about Banks and Insurance Companies following suit. Cut back bonuses, freeze salaries, eliminate made up fees and return the savings to their customers. Won't that be the same as the tax cuts so loved by Republicans and crowd who bleats, "it's our money".
The ends justifying the means is a dimwit dem thing. I am a retired fed worker and I am far from rich. The ones that need a pay freeze are the politicians that vote themselves pay raises all the time. I bet you don't see them freezing their pay raises. How about them sacrificing instead of once again screwing the very people that actually works most of the year. Idiots.

So, a postal service employee makes $52,000 per year; after taxes, shelter, food, clothing & shoes, transportation, how much is left for, say, college for his kids? Or, a nice vacation? A new car? A roof?

Yet many find it okay for a Wall Street Banker to earn millions. How often does that banker walk in the sleet or snow, carry heavy bundles and avoid angry dogs? And what does a banker produce? He loans your money for a profit. You earn, today, maybe 1% on your savings, possibly but not always a bit more on a CD or IRA; yet taking your money the banker earns 4 or 5 or 6 times that amount (it bears repeating, on YOUR Money).
Oh, and what about bank fees, hidden or noted in very tiny small print. Don't be fooled, bankers are not your friend.

Last edited:

I recall standing 'garbage watch' on the fantail of a DD in the Pacific; when given command we dumped food, lots and lots of food, into the sea. Good food by the way, not the food left over on the trays uneaten after each meal.
I wonder if that is still going on, or if the Navy has learned to serve leftovers like most of us do at home.

It's called Mid Rats (midnight rations) A 4th meal that's the days leftovers or some really really good ravioli. I was on subs, so we had to make due with short supplies.

So, a postal service employee makes $52,000 per year; after taxes, shelter, food, clothing & shoes, transportation, how much is left for, say, college for his kids? Or, a nice vacation? A new car? A roof?

Yet many find it okay for a Wall Street Banker to earn millions. How often does that banker walk in the sleet or snow, carry heavy bundles and avoid angry dogs? And what does a banker produce? He loans your money for a profit. You earn, today, maybe 1% on your savings, possibly but not always a bit more on a CD or IRA; yet taking your money the banker earns 4 or 5 or 6 times that amount (it bears repeating, on YOUR Money).
Oh, and what about bank fees, hidden or noted in very tiny small print. Don't be fooled, bankers are not your friend.

The USPS worker is "overpaid" because the USPS is bankrupt and only exist in the 21st century because the government can lose money for decades off the sweat of the US taxpayer who is doing the same job with less security, benefits and sometimes pay in order to keep his federal brother on the payroll.

That's according to your link btw...

I have a half dozen options to choose from for mail that are not bankrupt parasites.

Bankers earn more than people with High School level jobs because bankers produce more. Get it? They get more because they earn more. Ever heard of the time value of money?

Forum List

Back