Obama Strong Arm Tactics: Cease and Desist Letter

The Paperboy

Times Square
Aug 26, 2008
Times Square
aaa.jpg

Link to Cease and Desist Letter here

strong arm tactics? :cuckoo:

it's called having the law on your side. the NRA are purposefully misleading the public with their ad. You might agree with this tactic but it's against the law and I'm thrilled the Obama is using the law to stop these 'swiftboat" type of tactics.

If Moveon.org or some other liberal medium came out with an ad that completely misrepresented McCain wouldn't you want his attorney's to take action? if you say no then you're not very smart.

strong arm tactics? :cuckoo:

it's called having the law on your side. the NRA are purposefully misleading the public with their ad. You might agree with this tactic but it's against the law and I'm thrilled the Obama is using the law to stop these 'swiftboat" type of tactics.

If Moveon.org or some other liberal medium came out with an ad that completely misrepresented McCain wouldn't you want his attorney's to take action? if you say no then you're not very smart.

What I am for is Freedom of Speech. Period.

No, they aren't. "Most deer ammunition". So he does want deer ammunition made illegal..just not all of it.

It's Obama doing what he does. He says one thing, then flies in the face of what he's said and claims he didn't really mean it, or he meant it a different way...but in the end, it's the same thing, just different language.

What a scumbag.

slander isn't covered under Freedome of speech in case you missed that....

lying purposefully about someone to change the perception of that individual isn't allowed and is actionable in court.

"Most deer ammunition". So he does want deer ammunition made illegal..just not all of it.

It's Obama doing what he does. He says one thing, then flies in the face of what he's said and claims he didn't really mean it, or he meant it a different way...but in the end, it's the same thing, just different language.

What a scumbag.

oh yes........those hunters need that ammo that can pierce a bullet proof vest....cuz you know... those animals are getting smarter by the minute :wtf:

i have to watch these stupid NRA ads in PA, and they are completely misrepresenting obama's stances. they are making it sound like obama wants to seize everyone's guns, which is not the case. they should be stopped, as it is no way to behave in something as important as a presidential election.

and im not surprised allie is fine with lying to win an election. the scums are these idiots who are lying to scare people to vote for mccain

Typical liberal democrat tactics:
1. Use lawyers to sue the opposition to try and shut them up;
2. Instead of going after the NRA, which has the resources to defend itself, go after the radio station, which likely does not.

slander isn't covered under Freedome of speech in case you missed that....

lying purposefully about someone to change the perception of that individual isn't allowed and is actionable in court.

oh yes........those hunters need that ammo that can pierce a bullet proof vest....cuz you know... those animals are getting smarter by the minute :wtf:

I am not a lawyer. I assume you are not either. So let's not pretend either of us know what we're talking about on what I assume is a very complicated legal issue.

As in almost all political ads, truths are exaggerated, sentences are parsed and words of the opponent are manipulated.

I don't like distorted commercials. However I dislike intimidation even more.

And to be honest it makes Obama look like a cry baby.

An exaggeration in politics is expected. Outright lies ought to be expected as well but they should be deterred. Kerry made a tactical mistake in his election campaign and Obama has learned from it. When the Swiftboaters began to attack Kerry he thought that a dignified silence would work. It didn't. The attacks brought him down. Obama isn't going to allow anyone to swiftboat him.

The partisan GOP voters will jump up and down and carry on about freedom of speech, either not understanding or deliberatly missing the point that the right to freedom of speech isn't licence to say what you wish. Obama is right to slap down swiftboaters, he's right tactically and he's right morally.

Kerry didn't challenge SBVT because they were 212 guys all saying, "This man is a blowhard, an idiot and he lied about us with his Winter Soldier bullshit and talks with the commies."

Obama is trying to silence people for holding up his record.

Kerry didn't challenge SBVT because they were 212 guys all saying, "This man is a blowhard, an idiot and he lied about us with his Winter Soldier bullshit and talks with the commies."

Obama is trying to silence people for holding up his record.

NO WAY..these Dylan Avery type liars should be stopped from slander toward the great leader..it only helps....the terrorist

HA!

yea.. funny how your concern about freedom of speech ONLY coincides with some bullshit tripe that you really, REALLY want to swiftboat a motherfucker with.

Gosh, were you THIS resolute about the FREEDOM OF SPEECH when Palin's daughter was the latest but of an abstinence only joke?

And Kerry told you this when?

When he refused to sign a single-side SF 180 to back-up all those medals he kept waving around...when he wasn't throwing them over the WH fence.

His side of the story was seared--SEARED--into his mind.

If I were a station manager and received this I would laugh, this is nothing but the Obama campaign doing the shotgun legal approach to depress a message is all. If they get 10% of the stations in this effort to comply then they will be lucky. You notice they have not had much effect? Has anyone forgotten about that Freedom of the press thing? I thought so. This is why most newspapers and TV stations laugh at these sorts of letters.

Slander is an untruthful oral (spoken) statement about a person that harms the person's reputation or standing in the community. Because slander is a tort (a civil wrong), the injured person can bring a lawsuit against the person who made the false statement. If the statement is made via broadcast media -- for example, over the radio or on TV -- it is considered libel, rather than slander, because the statement has the potential to reach a very wide audience.

I suggest that if the Obama is so concerned over this they get busy and start filing the 10,000 lawsuits something like this will take. Good luck with that one.

HA!

yea.. funny how your concern about freedom of speech ONLY coincides with some bullshit tripe that you really, REALLY want to swiftboat a motherfucker with.

Gosh, were you THIS resolute about the FREEDOM OF SPEECH when Palin's daughter was the latest but of an abstinence only joke?

Yes. This doesn't mean I didn't have an opinion about it. And I expressed my opinion by canceling my subscription to the NY Times as I'm sure many others did too. I also sent in my first ever political donation to the McCain campaign.

When he refused to sign a single-side SF 180 to back-up all those medals he kept waving around...when he wasn't throwing them over the WH fence.

His side of the story was seared--SEARED--into his mind.

No I meant that your post sounded like Kerry had told you why he had made such a serious tactical error.

If I were a station manager and received this I would laugh, this is nothing but the Obama campaign doing the shotgun legal approach to depress a message is all. If they get 10% of the stations in this effort to comply then they will be lucky. You notice they have not had much effect? Has anyone forgotten about that Freedom of the press thing? I thought so. This is why most newspapers and TV stations laugh at these sorts of letters.

Slander is an untruthful oral (spoken) statement about a person that harms the person's reputation or standing in the community. Because slander is a tort (a civil wrong), the injured person can bring a lawsuit against the person who made the false statement. If the statement is made via broadcast media -- for example, over the radio or on TV -- it is considered libel, rather than slander, because the statement has the potential to reach a very wide audience.

I suggest that if the Obama is so concerned over this they get busy and start filing the 10,000 lawsuits something like this will take. Good luck with that one.

A media outlet is a business. It exists to make money. Anything that exists that may affect the ability of a media business to make money is a risk. Risk has to be analysed and then managed. A potential law suit for defamation could mean a lot of money paid out by the business as damages to the plaintiff. This would affect the bottom line of the media business. It doesn't matter in which financial year it occurs in, if the risk is that it will occur then it should be managed. The best way to manage this particular risk is to avoid it. To avoid it then it's necessary to not publish defamatory articles.

Obama knows the meaning of strategy. This is strategy. It's actuallly a very clever strategy.

I think that tort law is in the hands of the states in the US. If so then the tactics that support this strategy will vary from state to state I would think. But this is a great start.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back