Obama says "You're on your own' economics" won't work...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by healthmyths, May 29, 2012.

1. healthmyths

healthmyths Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    "It was tried in the decades before the Great Depression. It didn't work then. It was tried in the last decade. It didn't work," he said. "You know, the idea you would keep on doing the same thing over and over again, even though it's been proven not to work. That's a sign of madness."
    Did Obama Say Capitalism Doesn

So folks.. is capitalism dead?
    Is self initiative dead?
    Do more people today want the govt. to tell them how many kids to have? What food to eat?
    Where to live? Where to work? No choices? Not responsibility for their own life?

2. healthmyths

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    By the way... every month I get a social security check which I find helpful.. but not enough!
    Therefore I have a small business that is paying me 3 times social security.
    My point is that I am all in favor of FORCED savings that SS and Medicare provide.
    The major problem though is I had NO control as to where MY money and my employer's money went!
    If when I started working in 1967 no stock market investing.. simple interest from FDIC secured account would have accumulated to over $500,000 today!

It would have been MINE!
    taking 5% of that $500,000 would be more then to what I'm getting today in SS!
    In addition.. Medicare would NOT have to be spent on me!
    My $500,000 over my remaining 16 years would pay my health insurance!
    And when I die... I have a little nest egg for my heirs!
    What is wrong with that???

3. KevinWestern

KevinWestern Hello

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +535

Saying that Wall Street should be bound by a certain set of rules and regulations is NOT the same as saying "capitalism doesn't work". or that "self initiative is dead".

I suggest finding a news source that doesn't assume its readers/viewers have an IQ of less than 50; I think most rational people (conservative and liberal) regard Fox News as total garbage.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  4. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,732
    Ever greater levels of risk/fraud will kill capitalism faster than anything and yet they want to tell the cops to take the locks off the cash drawer and go home.

5. TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    The problem isn't the risk and fraud associated with malinvestment due to credit expansion and low interest rates. The problem is the same tards that were elected to hold people accountable are the same tards that cause the moral hazards of malinvestment in the first place. No one is being tried for fraud. Some, including those elected officials and their corp crony pals, never get punished. Regulate the fucker into the ground, but it wont work. Because that isn't the problem. Failure to uphold the law is the problem. But thats to be expected when the same turds are causing the problem to begin with.

6. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,732
    They attack the regulatory structure, the law itself, with the highest paid lawyers in the business, basically if you can steal enough to get the right mouthpiece or pay the rare paltry settlement it's practically legal to defraud while republicans continually cut funding to all regulatory agencies and appoint collaborators.

7. TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    Regulatory agencies dont do the job anyway. And it was both republicans and democrats that voted regulatory repeal and funding cuts. Your partisan hackery is showing.

8. healthmyths

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    So you and others are of the mind set that there should be a cop on every corner?
    You favor MORE rules, more regulations?
    What ever happened to teaching people personal responsibility?
    Really think think!
    Which is more efficient.. people that are inculcated from pre-school on in lessons of common sense OR a cop following you everywhere you go making SURE you are obeying the myrid of laws?
    Tell me which is MORE efficient society one where people POLICE their actions THEMSELVEs or a society dependent on a total police state akin to the movie "Minority Report"?

In talking to my 12 yr old granddaughter we discussed why there would be NO need for law texting and driving. Of course she recognized that it is not wise to do so BUT she didn't REALLY understand WHY until I explained simply the physics!
    Of course it is "not good" BUT when people REALLY are taught WHY.. then there is more compliance!
    In the case of Wall Street? I use to be a broker and when we sold a mutual fund investor we had to have the investor SIGN acknowledging that 50% of the first year's payments would be my commission! Tell me when you bought your last car did the salesman sign a form ADVISING YOU of his commission?

My point is there was a valid reason the investor UNDERSTOOD why but would sign anyway.
    The rule requiring this signature DIDN"T prevent the buyer and idiots maybe you would never understand why but people smarter did and they DIDN"T need this to understand!

Common Sense is NOT taught and without it the USA will never be the same as people like you continue to abrogate your personal responsibilities to the STATE!!!

9. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,732
    Lately? After the crash I don't think you can find too many democrats that favor further deregulating the financial markets. Besides, why are you calling for greater enforcement while attacking the only legal framework we have to hold these people accountable?

10. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    History has proven over and over again unfettered capitalism reverts to all the wealth being concentrated at the top and NO MORE capitalism