Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

No, they don't owe it to someone else's kid, they owe to the nation and their community. America's success is directly tied to the education of it's people. For America to compete with the rest of the world in the 21st century, we've got to be smarter and more productive and it all begins with education.
World competitiveness is tied directly towards getting a community college liberal arts degree. How did your country get by for so many years without this?
Less than 1 in 5 graduates have liberal arts degrees. Family income levels of students in liberal arts are well above average which probably explains why liberal arts majors are among the top earners in the nation. The idea that poor people would want a liberal arts degree where the chance of an entry level job is near zero, is a bit silly.
Doubt it.
Liberal arts curriculum are not necessarily that easy and only 2% of the employers seek liberal arts majors. ,Most liberal arts majors have to get additional education to get a job if they don't have some applicable experience.
This whole thing seems like a waste of billions as well. Community College to begin with only costs a couple hundred a semester if that. This just seems like an excuse for lazy kids to flounder on the taxpayer's dime. Don't get me wrong, I am for investing in education. But really, the US should strive to have an education system more like Germany where they invest more in technical institutes for the less academically apt to put it nicely. Lets just face it, not everyone should go to college or is capable and would be better served learning a trade that could provide them a good living.

There is this idea in America if you don't go to four year university you can't be successful or are a failure of some kind. This is damaging in my view and nothing could be further from the truth.
Well, I would worry about this proposal making it with a Republican congress and a bloated budget request from the President. The proposal is an attempt to raise the minimum standard in education from high school to 2 years of college.

BTW, my grandson is in community college and the tuition and books is about $1500/quarter in Washington State. In Florida, I know it's a bit cheaper but not much. Don't know about other states. For many poor families, $10,000 is a lot money. I don't recall whether there was means testing in the proposal, but I think it should be there. Most middle class families can afford $10,000 for 2 years of college.

World competitiveness is tied directly towards getting a community college liberal arts degree. How did your country get by for so many years without this?
Less than 1 in 5 graduates have liberal arts degrees. Family income levels of students in liberal arts are well above average which probably explains why liberal arts majors are among the top earners in the nation. The idea that poor people would want a liberal arts degree where the chance of an entry level job is near zero, is a bit silly.
Doubt it.
Liberal arts curriculum are not necessarily that easy and only 2% of the employers seek liberal arts majors. ,Most liberal arts majors have to get additional education to get a job if they don't have some applicable experience.
This whole thing seems like a waste of billions as well. Community College to begin with only costs a couple hundred a semester if that. This just seems like an excuse for lazy kids to flounder on the taxpayer's dime. Don't get me wrong, I am for investing in education. But really, the US should strive to have an education system more like Germany where they invest more in technical institutes for the less academically apt to put it nicely. Lets just face it, not everyone should go to college or is capable and would be better served learning a trade that could provide them a good living.

There is this idea in America if you don't go to four year university you can't be successful or are a failure of some kind. This is damaging in my view and nothing could be further from the truth.
Well, I would worry about this proposal making it with a Republican congress and a bloated budget request from the President. The proposal is an attempt to raise the minimum standard in education from high school to 2 years of college.

BTW, my grandson is in community college and the tuition and books is about $1500/quarter in Washington State. In Florida, I know it's a bit cheaper but not much. Don't know about other states. For many poor families, $10,000 is a lot money. I don't recall whether there was means testing in the proposal, but I think it should be there. Most middle class families can afford $10,000 for 2 years of college.
It could go through, it couldn't. Lets be honest, no real productive change will be made by either side on the education issue. They will do whatver is politically convenient.

Put a couple thousand a year sounds like a pretty good deal when compared to the tens of thousands in tuition I read about some people paying. Maybe I am wrong here. I have heard many people have financial troubles and debt issues with four year universities. But I haven't read much about or met a person that was strained about paying community college fees.

I just don't think this is a prudent investment to be honest. I think it could be spent better elsewhere.

Doubt it.

I worked my way through 6 years of university. Some of it, in the first two years, was at community college. I had a relatively small amount in loans. For the life of me, I cannot understand why it is not an option for people to WORK their way through college. In my day, a whole lot of people did that, people who didn't come from middle class or upper class families. I worked in the summers, I worked at Xmas break, I worked part-time throughout the year.

However, I fully support Obama's idea of providing free tuition for 2 years of community college as long as the student is completing a specific program and getting passing grades. The student would have to support him or herself during that time. What I understand from German friends as far as free university (4 years) there, the tuition is paid. Students must support themselves: they may live with their parents or their parents pay for living expenses. It's a God helps those who help themselves situation and works well. (I'm not saying the government is God; it is an analogy.)

Last edited:
Doubt it.

It could go through, it couldn't. Lets be honest, no real productive change will be made by either side on the education issue. They will do whatver is politically convenient.

Put a couple thousand a year sounds like a pretty good deal when compared to the tens of thousands in tuition I read about some people paying. Maybe I am wrong here. I have heard many people have financial troubles and debt issues with four year universities. But I haven't read much about or met a person that was strained about paying community college fees.

I just don't think this is a prudent investment to be honest. I think it could be spent better elsewhere.
Community Colleges is a bargain which is why 1/4 to 1/3 of community college grads continue on to 4 year schools to earn their bachelor's degree. The savings can easily be $20,000.

For those not going on to earn their bachelors there are many non-transferable degrees ranging from Air Traffic Control, Office Management, Office Technology, Dental Hygienist, Medical Office Assistant, Fast Food Management, LPN, Lab Technician, Computer Network Administration, Medical Records, Legal Assistance, Real Estate Management, etc... These curriculum are designed to give the student specific jobs skills.

Last edited:
Doubt it.

Community Colleges is a bargain which is why 1/4 to 1/3 of community college grads continue on to 4 year schools to earn their bachelor's degree. The savings can easily be $20,000.

For those not going on to earn their bachelors there are many non-transferable degrees ranging from Air Traffic Control, Office Management, Office Technology, Dental Hygienist, Medical Office Assistant, Fast Food Management, LPN, Lab Technician, Computer Network Administration, Medical Records, Legal Assistance, Real Estate Management, etc... These curriculum are designed to give the student specific jobs skills.
Yes, with all those AA degrees and specific job skills, it's a win win situation. All those graduates in specific vocations become taxpaying citizens, which is the best thing for the economy. What they will end up paying in taxes will more than make up for what their tuition cost the taxpayers.

Yes, with all those AA degrees and specific job skills, it's a win win situation. All those graduates in specific vocations become taxpaying citizens, which is the best thing for the economy. What they will end up paying in taxes will more than make up for what their tuition cost the taxpayers.
I doubt it, those people going for such degrees are there already. There isn't a financial barrier to community college that is prohibiting all this untapped talent from going into any of the above vocational tracts.

I doubt it, those people going for such degrees are there already. There isn't a financial barrier to community college that is prohibiting all this untapped talent from going into any of the above vocational tracts.
LOL People like you belong in a 3rd world country, not a modern, developed country.

Doubt it.

I worked my way through 6 years of university. Some of it, in the first two years, was at community college. I had a relatively small amount in loans. For the life of me, I cannot understand why it is not an option for people to WORK their way through college. In my day, a whole lot of people did that, people who didn't come from middle class or upper class families. I worked in the summers, I worked at Xmas break, I worked part-time throughout the year.

However, I fully support Obama's idea of providing free tuition for 2 years of community college as long as the student is completing a specific program and getting passing grades. The student would have to support him or herself during that time. What I understand from German friends as far as free university (4 years) there, the tuition is paid. Students must support themselves: they may live with their parents or their parents pay for living expenses. It's a God helps those who help themselves situation and works well. (I'm not saying the government is God; it is an analogy.)
Six years 'of university' eh? We all know where you are from. And it is not a desert island.

Doubt it.

Six years 'of university' eh? We all know where you are from. And it is not a desert island.
LOL WTF is that supposed to mean? I worked my way through all six years. I come from a low income working class family. WTF is your problem?

Community College's are cheap compared to a 4 year school but anyone in a low income job would find $8,000 to $10,000 in educational cost too much.

Most of the terminal degrees are job related in fields with strong demand such healthcare and technology. In a nationwide survey of employers, 30% said the minimum educational requirement is now 2 years of colleges.

The best way to turn welfare recipients into tax payers is to give them the job skills they need to qualify for better jobs.

Forum List

Back