Obama Proposes 2 Years of Free Community College

Evil, just evil. Edumacatin' Murkins? We don't want that goin' on. Next thing you know peoples will be makin' dem intelligent arguments and shit. Larnin' reason an' logic, maybe even... science. :ack-1:

Nope, we likes our sheeples dumbed down 'n' stoopid. Give 'em books an' dey gets all uppity. Starts readin' them Constitutionals. I tell ya the old church had it right when they make it illegal to read the Holy Babble. Infermation's a dangerous game, leave it to duh experts. We wunt da common peoples in line and iggerant. When you know too much, you crow too much.
Exactly. It's a tragedy, a terrible tragedy to give people the chance to improve their lot it life, to train for a vocation or to prepare for a chance at completing a university degree. What a great loss to the country it would be to have more people prepared to be valuable members of the work force, to be self supporting, and to contribute in a positive way to society.

What's tragic is forcing someone like me and other taxpayers to do for someone else's kid what they won't do for their own kids.
It is hardly 'tragic.' You people are using terms like 'evil' and 'tragic' for situations that are nothing near those concepts: you obviously don't understand what true tragedy and true evil are. I was using the term 'tragic' ironically; you may not have picked up on that. I was not using it literally.

All you conservatives are complaining about the cost. How much do we pay for prisons every year? There are approximately 2.25 million men and women in American prisons. In California, for example, 70% of them spent time in foster homes as children. First, we cannot at all expect foster parents to foot the bill to put a foster child through college. But, most of all, if you believe in the aphorism, "Idle hands are the devil's playground," then you can possibly understand that if we provide people with a vocation or trade, they are less likely to break the law and end up in prison.

Community colleges mainly offer vocational programs wherein people can learn a trade and be employable. If we foot the bill for 2 years of community college, we are very likely to have far more young people working than not, and, thus, end up with a much smaller prison population, meaning that the money going to supporting prisons (a negative thing) will go to education and training--a positive thing. You are paying for prisons now; why not pay for education and training instead? Oh, and btw, two years of community college is far less expensive than prison, or welfare for that matter.

"we cannot at all expect foster parents to foot the bill to put a foster child through college"

Yet you expect those of us that didn't choose to foster them to do it. Not how it works. Don't make a choice to do something then demand someone else pay the price.

Anytime YOU want to foot the bill for someone else's kid, write a check. MY money goes to MY kids.

By the way, someone that commits a crime by choice. Using that it's the fault of those of us who don't owe them a college education is called an excuse. Also, it's not my place to feed, house, and clothe them either through welfare. If you like the idea so much, write a check for that, too.

Does your town have a fire department? A police department?
Non-sequitur. That I pay taxes to fund both of those doens't, by default, mean I should pay taxes to do for someone else's kid what that parent won't do themselves.

So he will give extra funding to the golden apples, who would pass and get a job anyway. While the rest that community colleges are meant to be there for have to pack their bags, as the government attempts to make them as elitist as Harvard.

What this means is that community colleges will accept only students that get the government hand out for 'good grades' or those that can pay upfront.

Once again 'good intentions' of government is destroying American education, just like common core. Thanks Obama, for keeping the poor and struggling students out of education.
Community colleges generally have no academic requirements for admission other than graduation from high school and in some states even that is not required.
And you want taxpayers to fund something that requires nothing but a heartbeat and breathing to enter. Hard to get behind doing something that requires NOTHING to get in.

Research shows that individuals who graduate and have access to education are more likely to find gainful employment, have stable families, and be active and productive citizens. They are also less likely to commit serious crimes, less likely to place high demands on the public health care system, and less likely to be enrolled in welfare assistance programs. A good education provides substantial benefits to individuals and, as individual benefits are aggregated throughout the nation it benefits us all. Investing in education is thus far more cost-effective than paying for the social and economic consequences of not doing so.

What we're talking about is spending 6 billion dollars a year, 1% of what we spend on defense.
This bears repeating.

This bears repeating. One person does not owe another person's kid college.
No, they don't owe it to someone else's kid, they owe to the nation and their community. America's success is directly tied to the education of it's people. For America to compete with the rest of the world in the 21st century, we've got to be smarter and more productive and it all begins with education.

O'fraids answer to all his and the world's problems.....

28aqqsm.jpg

It's been about 100 since America launched the high school movement. In 1910, only 15% to 19% of teens enrolled in high school and only 8% graduated. Most of those graduates were from private schools.

The movement began in New England and spread across the country. Thousands of high schools were build and tens of thousand of teachers were hired. In school board meetings and legislatures across the country the same objections were heard as today. Why should I pay to educated some someone else's kid? The answer became obvious over the next 50 years. In the 20th century we made high school the minimum educational standard. Obama is proposing we raise the standard from high school to two years of college. The country will certainly benefit just as it did in the 20th century. We can spend money raising the educational level of the country and making our workers more productive or we can spend the money on more programs to support the poor as America falls behind other countries.

Last edited:
Community colleges generally have no academic requirements for admission other than graduation from high school and in some states even that is not required.
And you want taxpayers to fund something that requires nothing but a heartbeat and breathing to enter. Hard to get behind doing something that requires NOTHING to get in.

Research shows that individuals who graduate and have access to education are more likely to find gainful employment, have stable families, and be active and productive citizens. They are also less likely to commit serious crimes, less likely to place high demands on the public health care system, and less likely to be enrolled in welfare assistance programs. A good education provides substantial benefits to individuals and, as individual benefits are aggregated throughout the nation it benefits us all. Investing in education is thus far more cost-effective than paying for the social and economic consequences of not doing so.

What we're talking about is spending 6 billion dollars a year, 1% of what we spend on defense.
This bears repeating.

No, they don't owe it to someone else's kid, they owe to the nation and their community. America's success is directly tied to the education of it's people. For America to compete with the rest of the world in the 21st century, we've got to be smarter and more productive and it all begins with education.
World competitiveness is tied directly towards getting a community college liberal arts degree. How did your country get by for so many years without this?

Instead of throwing billions down a black hole like making this community "college" free, The government should invest more in trade schools, and related skills tracks at the high school level to make individuals valuable and productive workers with an economically viable skills.

How did we have free college during the 70's if it is a black hole???

Education outside of teaching about ****** studies, woman studies or how to ram a pickle up your ass isn't a black hole.
The American Government provided free university? Both private and public? I think you are wrong and that is the first I heard of it. I don't really care to look into it though. But if that is the case, apparently, you guys couldn't afford it, you are 17 trillion in debt and declining in world markets as an economic power. How did that work out for you?

Besides, there is a difference between financial aid for valuable university majors, and giving free tuition for these community colleges.

This bears repeating.

World competitiveness is tied directly towards getting a community college liberal arts degree. How did your country get by for so many years without this?
Less than 1 in 5 graduates have liberal arts degrees. Family income levels of students in liberal arts are well above average which probably explains why liberal arts majors are among the top earners in the nation. The idea that poor people would want a liberal arts degree where the chance of an entry level job is near zero, is a bit silly.

This bears repeating.

Less than 1 in 5 graduates have liberal arts degrees. Family income levels of students in liberal arts are well above average which probably explains why liberal arts majors are among the top earners in the nation. The idea that poor people would want a liberal arts degree where the chance of an entry level job is near zero, is a bit silly.
Doubt it.

This bears repeating.

Doubt it.
Liberal arts curriculum are not necessarily that easy and only 2% of the employers seek liberal arts majors. ,Most liberal arts majors have to get additional education to get a job if they don't have some applicable experience.

Doubt it.
Liberal arts curriculum are not necessarily that easy and only 2% of the employers seek liberal arts majors. ,Most liberal arts majors have to get additional education to get a job if they don't have some applicable experience.
This whole thing seems like a waste of billions as well. Community College to begin with only costs a couple hundred a semester if that. This just seems like an excuse for lazy kids to flounder on the taxpayer's dime. Don't get me wrong, I am for investing in education. But really, the US should strive to have an education system more like Germany where they invest more in technical institutes for the less academically apt to put it nicely. Lets just face it, not everyone should go to college or is capable and would be better served learning a trade that could provide them a good living.

There is this idea in America if you don't go to four year university you can't be successful or are a failure of some kind. This is damaging in my view and nothing could be further from the truth.

Obama President Proposes 2 Free Years of Community College

President Barack Obama announced a proposal Thursday to provide two years of free community-college tuition to American students who maintain good grades.

He also said that this plan will save at least 3.800$ per year, it means that student should continue working, because this plan will not give them: food, clothing and house! What for this circus? I don't know!
That is a great idea . . . as long as I do not have to pay a penny more taxes for it so I have to eat less. It was not long ago when I had to limit my meals to one dollar each for three years (not including my garden). If I paid less taxes I could have eaten a lot more, and I eat nothing unhealthy.

This bears repeating.

I enjoy liberal arts and had several people told me I was wasting my time......

Liberal arts curriculum are not necessarily that easy and only 2% of the employers seek liberal arts majors. Most liberal arts majors have to get additional education to get a job if they don't have some applicable experience.
I have a liberal arts degree, a bachelor's and a master's degree in a liberal arts field. Certainly, entry level jobs for me were not near zero, even if I hadn't gotten the masters. In fact, my mother was annoyed with me for getting a master's instead of getting a job with the bachelor's degree, which I didn't need (Working class thinking IMO: she thought I was over educated and should just get to work instead of getting more education.), but as it has turned out, having the master's has resulted in my getting jobs more easily and in my earning much more money over time. And I didn't have to get any additional education. I think I've done pretty well. Through my degree I've been able to fulfill my life long dreams of living and traveling throughout the world. Yep. I'm very happy about it. :)

And I don't come from a well off family. I come from low income working class people and am the first one to get a master's degree, and only the second one to get any kind of university degree. My family paid essentially nothing for my 6 years of college, about $1500 it amounted to, in $25 or $50 here and there to help me out. The other family member who went to college had it paid for through his job--it was not a liberal arts degree. So, I guess I'm an exception to the rule. I have taught at community college level, and I found that many students were doing the first two years of college at that level because it was cheaper than a university. There were also many foreign students who needed to improve their English before they could be accepted to a US university. Probably half of the students were getting AA degrees in a vocational program. Community colleges are very useful and provide something really needed in education.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back