Obama has been quite successful in making positive change in US oil consumption

The main problem with obaabaa increasing fuel efficiency is that cars have become remarkably less safe. If you wanted real fuel efficiency you could make cars out of cardboard.

Yup. We the taxpayer are funding GM which produces the Volt.

The Volt has already been recalled because it catchs fire.

The Volt is electric. No gas but how much does it cost you to charge it up??

Don't think anyone is gonna save money with that white elephant.

You would save money, and although I suspect you don't care, you would reduce your carbon footprint as well, regardless of the source of your electric. Your power plant is far more efficient in creating energy than an ICE designed to move a single ton of steel and cargo, where much of the energy is exhausted in the form of heat (from the pipes, the radiator, and directly from engine components).

It's an economy of scale.
Carbon footprint? Please tell me you do not buy into that horseshit.
Look sunshine..There is NO savings.
Do you really think that the federal government is going to watch their revenue stream from federal fuel taxes fall as more fuel efficient vehicles come to the market?
Think about it....The current fleet avg EPA rating is around 30MPG..
By 2020 Obama's demand is 54.5 mpg.....That means if miles driven continues to increase at the same pace it has over the last 40 years, in order for the fuel tax revenue to remain level, the number of miles driven per year would have to increase by 80%...Obviously that is not going to happen. And as we all know , government ALWAYS gets their money.
Increasing the fuel tax in politically improbable. Most likely impossible.
So a new tax has to be created. This is why the federal government and some states have been looking into mileage or more accurately "movement" taxes.
This will be accomplished by a mandated installation of GPS tracking devices in all new autos beginning with a certain model year. All older vehicle owners would be slapped with an additional tax or must pay a fee to have the device installed.
So don't try to pull the wool over our eyes. We're calling bullshit on you and the government.

I like to save money but I need a vehicle that can pull a horse trailer.

Somehow I dont' see the Volt doing that.

Anyone know how much you pay to charge it up??

Without looking, I can stipulate that it will not pull a horse trailer. ;)

Hybrid or Electric Ownership Cost Comparison

According to this page you will get 3.33 miles per KwH. Where I am, a KwH costs around $0.10.

So in an average car, lets say 30mpg, you go 30 miles for around 3 bucks, or about $0.10 per mile.

If we trust this web page you go 3.33 miles for $0.10; About $0.03 per mile.

And have to put the thing on charge for 8 hours for each 100 miles driven. And that is dependent on usage of lights and other accessories in the vehicle such as God forbid..HEAT or AC...And that is also dictated by the region of the country. Cold temperatures sap energy from batteries. SO in a northern climate in winter, that Volt may last only 80 or 70 miles between 8 hour charges. All for the low low price of $45k....
Tell ya what..I'll drive a battery powered vehicle when they make one that costs the same and performs the same and allows me to drive 600 miles in a day, costs the same or less to recharge as to fill with gas and it will recharge in 5 mins or less. Ya got that?

??

My snowblower won't mow my lawn. What am I to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????
Dear idiot.....If Obama has his way the vehicle required to pull the horse trailer, work trailer, boat or RV will no longer be available.
And does Obama care if these industries are adversely affected and hundreds of thousands of jobs lost? NO!
As long as HE gets his way. That is all that matter to an egomaniac.

Contrary to what Republicans say, Obama has not only increased domestic oil production, but he has improved fuel efficiency standards in the automotive industry.

In January 2009, the US was producing 6.9 million barrels per day. As of Nov 2010, the US is producing 8.1 million barrels per day.

In addition, under Obama, US dependence on foreign oil has declined considerably. U.S. dependence on foreign oil has declined under Obama as well, going from 58.9 percent of oil consumption in January 2009 to 44 percent in November 2011.

FactCheck.org : Promises, Promises

Because of improvements made in fuel efficiency standards, vehicles made between 2012 and 2016 will save 1.8 billion barrels of oil.

Emissions limits, greater fuel efficiency for cars, light trucks made official

Us Car Companies have been following Guidelines for MPG standards laid our A Decade ago, Obama didn't do shit.

You guys would credit him with Discovering Alien Life if Martians attacked tomorrow.

To funny.

Oil consumption is down because the Economy sucks, and gas prices are higher. People are using less because they can't afford to use more.

Increased fuel and safety standards drive real automotive innovation in this country, there would be little headway in these areas were they not mandated.
In order to increase fleetwide MPG to over 50 mpg, safety standards of vehicles will have to be LOWERED.
It is impossible with current technology to make a vehicle with an internal combustion engine average over 50 mpg. Not without the car being a tin box.
Safety standards that add ANY weight to a vehicle will have to be thrown out or reworked which will cost consumers even MORE money.
Once again the federal government in an effort to save us from ourselves, ignores the law of unintended consequences.
3 things you can do to increase gas miliage is remove the polution controls, the muffler and cataletic-converter, and get rid of Ethanol. It robs the car of power espectially in colder climates.

Ethanol is garbage. In fact the Obama regime finally had to give up and throw in the towel on ethanol subsidies. They are gone.

Think about this. Yes, the price of cars will go up, but ultimately, people will save money. That is the point. If you can't afford a new car, then obviously you should buy a used one wouldn't you say?
No we will NOT..
Already states are looking forward to higher mileage vehicles and crunching the numbers for fuel tax revenues. Some states have already floated the idea of "mileage" or "movement" taxes...The federal government has gotten into the game as well. There have been proposals to mandate that all automobiles be equipped with GPS tracking devices.
These devices will allow government bureaucrats to detect mileage traveled by each vehicle. The owner of the vehicle will be taxed on this number. Will the states give up their fuel taxes? Hell no. And neither will the federal government. These movement taxes will be in addition to current taxes.
The frightening part of this is the federal government will have the ability to track our movements...Without a warrant and in direct violation of the 4th , 10th and 14th Amendments...
BTW these Obama mileage standards ( over 50 mpg fleetwide) do not address business vehicles. Such as light trucks, SUV's, utility vehicles and the like.
This is another unfunded government mandate.
The bottom line is vehicle ownership, travel and commuting will become MUCH more costly. From the beginning of his administration Obama has wanted to ram conservation down out throats by making the freedom to travel more expensive.

You will pay 985 more for a new car. That is it.
Oh sure ...Just another $1,000 dollars....Drop in the bucket ,right..Please cut the bullshit.
Why did you not address the mileage tax and tracking?

Contrary to what Republicans say, Obama has not only increased domestic oil production, but he has improved fuel efficiency standards in the automotive industry.

In January 2009, the US was producing 6.9 million barrels per day. As of Nov 2010, the US is producing 8.1 million barrels per day.

In addition, under Obama, US dependence on foreign oil has declined considerably. U.S. dependence on foreign oil has declined under Obama as well, going from 58.9 percent of oil consumption in January 2009 to 44 percent in November 2011.

Because of improvements made in fuel efficiency standards, vehicles made between 2012 and 2016 will save 1.8 billion barrels of oil.

"Republicans say"????...Ok where?
BTW, MOST of our domestic oil production is EXPORTED....
BTW, here are charts from the US Energy Information Administration..
» Clearing-up Today’s Obama Energy Lies - Big Government
Clearly, the numbers you posted are inaccurate. The US EIA chart indicates LESS then 6 million bpd of production
Crude Oil Production
US is also a net exporter of oil and gasoline..
What Energy Problem? U.S. Oil Exports Are on the Rise | Fin - Daily Ticker - US - Yahoo! Finance.

The reason exports are increasing is because Crude Oil and gasoline will fetch a higher price on the world market. Also, in direct sales to other countries or companies, the price can be negotiated and set.
There is no law preventing that from happening. And there should not be.
The prices we pay will always be subject to market forces.
However, this report tells the story but in a skewed manner..
Note how the US EIA spins the numbers. The EIA report states that because of oil exports, that oil is not counted as imported. That's ridiculous. We still consume the IMPORTED OIL...
SO the 49% figure is inaccurate. The US consumes 19 BLN BPD..The US Imports over 11 BLN BPD.....or about SIXTY percent.
The EIA then tries to make things look better by stating that some of the imported oil comes from the Western Hemisphere. Really?
32% comes from OPEC.....And to show how irrelevant that is, each time OPEC raises or lowers their output quota, market prices which affect the world oil and gasoline prices, rise and fall.
The EIA attempts to minimize the effect of OPEC and tries to hide the fact that the US is depending on non-friendly nations for crude oil....
Quite frankly this is a whole lot of "who shot John".
We're getting screwed by the same government that liberals swear on the lives of their family members is supposed to "take care of us"...
So please..Don't come here trying to make Obama look like the happy energy guy.....He isn't.

We do not export most of our domestic oil production. We may be a net exporter of gasoline, but in no way do we export "most of our domestic oil production".

Regarding Obama "increasing domestic oil production" that's total bullshit. He's not done a damn thing toward that effort. It's been accomplished by industry investment, technology and innovation, and downright risk taking.

Still on the books- Obama's budget proposes up to $90 billion in tax penalties on the oil and gas industries- penalties that will not hurt the majors aka "Big Oil", but the smaller independently owned companies.

So because it is projected to occur, it doesn't matter at all? That's ridiculous.
Correct..It's called style over substance.
Look, don't tell me what you're going to do....SHOW ME RESULTS...Until those results come to fruition, keep your yapper SHUT.

It WILL occurr, because the standards have already been finalized you jackass.
No. RESULTS.....
Show me where government has ever done anything under budget and on time. Show me where a government program has ever cost what the projections stated. Show me where a government program ever resulted in the revenue stream predicted.

Yeah right... I suppose Obama is going to sign an executive order mandating 200 million drivers immediately change their behavior or face dire consequences...

Don't go thinking you can win a contest of insults with me. Once you make this personal, we're dropping the gloves.
Ya wanna go? Let's go....Otherwise , stow the name calling.

Now it is up to consumers to get on with the show!

Let's be clear: the price of these new cars would only go up $985. Anyone who can afford to buy a new car, can afford just that little extra.

Anyone? Even the guy that can barely scrape together enough to buy a car at $16,000 can afford an extra grand in initial cost, plus the extra finance charges and higher insurance premiums?

To some of us an extra grand is a lot of money, even if it isn't to you.

You are a dumbass. Any person that strapped for cash would either by cheaper new car or a used car.

The financial expert speaketh.

Yup. We the taxpayer are funding GM which produces the Volt.

The Volt has already been recalled because it catchs fire.

The Volt is electric. No gas but how much does it cost you to charge it up??

Don't think anyone is gonna save money with that white elephant.

You would save money, and although I suspect you don't care, you would reduce your carbon footprint as well, regardless of the source of your electric. Your power plant is far more efficient in creating energy than an ICE designed to move a single ton of steel and cargo, where much of the energy is exhausted in the form of heat (from the pipes, the radiator, and directly from engine components).

It's an economy of scale.
Carbon footprint? Please tell me you do not buy into that horseshit.
Look sunshine..There is NO savings.
Do you really think that the federal government is going to watch their revenue stream from federal fuel taxes fall as more fuel efficient vehicles come to the market?
Think about it....The current fleet avg EPA rating is around 30MPG..
By 2020 Obama's demand is 54.5 mpg.....That means if miles driven continues to increase at the same pace it has over the last 40 years, in order for the fuel tax revenue to remain level, the number of miles driven per year would have to increase by 80%...Obviously that is not going to happen. And as we all know , government ALWAYS gets their money.
Increasing the fuel tax in politically improbable. Most likely impossible.
So a new tax has to be created. This is why the federal government and some states have been looking into mileage or more accurately "movement" taxes.
This will be accomplished by a mandated installation of GPS tracking devices in all new autos beginning with a certain model year. All older vehicle owners would be slapped with an additional tax or must pay a fee to have the device installed.
So don't try to pull the wool over our eyes. We're calling bullshit on you and the government.

:lol:

That rambling incoherent noise notwithstanding, the young lady asked a simple question and I gave her the factually correct answer. FWIW I drive a Dodge Dakota.

Sorry to have interrupted, you may continue your irrational anti-governmental malcontent ranting and/or raving. ;)

How much money have YOU personally saved because of this, Billy?

I'll take that as a big whopping ZERO.

A change in oil consumption in the US (present tense), CANNOT be caused by changes to regulations that have yet to be enacted (future tense).

Effect cannot precede cause. Universal law, dumb-ass.

/end thread.

The number one American export is gasoline.

Which drives up the price of gas at the pumps here in the US.

In any given month, there are over 200,000 barrels of gasoline held in inventories at various locations around the country.

What would the price of gasoline be if there were, for example, 400,000 barrels of gasoline in inventory?

Answer: exacty the same.

Anyone know how much you pay to charge it up??

Without looking, I can stipulate that it will not pull a horse trailer. ;)

Hybrid or Electric Ownership Cost Comparison

According to this page you will get 3.33 miles per KwH. Where I am, a KwH costs around $0.10.

So in an average car, lets say 30mpg, you go 30 miles for around 3 bucks, or about $0.10 per mile.

If we trust this web page you go 3.33 miles for $0.10; About $0.03 per mile.

And have to put the thing on charge for 8 hours for each 100 miles driven. And that is dependent on usage of lights and other accessories in the vehicle such as God forbid..HEAT or AC...And that is also dictated by the region of the country. Cold temperatures sap energy from batteries. SO in a northern climate in winter, that Volt may last only 80 or 70 miles between 8 hour charges. All for the low low price of $45k....
Tell ya what..I'll drive a battery powered vehicle when they make one that costs the same and performs the same and allows me to drive 600 miles in a day, costs the same or less to recharge as to fill with gas and it will recharge in 5 mins or less. Ya got that?

All things to take into consideration when you personally decide whether or not to buy one.

In the meantime, get off the cross, asshole. We need the lumber.

There are approximately 120,000 gasoline (filling) stations in the U.S.

If there were 240,000 filling stations, what would the price of gasoline be?

Exactly the same.

In 1999, there was actually less gasoline in inventories than today.
Yet, it was selling for less than $1/gallon.
Crude oil at that time was $10/barrel.

So today, while oil is $100/barrel what difference does it make of there's 200k barrels of gasoline in inventories or 400k barrels of gasoline in inventories?

None.

So today, while oil is $100/barrel what difference does it make of there's 200k barrels of gasoline in inventories or 400k barrels of gasoline in inventories?

None.

That would be true, if it were true.

None.

That would be true, if it were true.

Believe it, laddybuck. Reason it out, and don't bother with links or quotes.
Use your noggin'. Bring it.

Forum List

Back