Obama has been quite successful in making positive change in US oil consumption

In 1999, there was actually less gasoline in inventories than today.
Yet, it was selling for less than $1/gallon.
Crude oil at that time was $10/barrel.

So today, while oil is $100/barrel what difference does it make of there's 200k barrels of gasoline in inventories or 400k barrels of gasoline in inventories?

None.

That would be true, if it were true.

Believe it, laddybuck. Reason it out, and don't bother with links or quotes.
Use your noggin'. Bring it.

You didn't bother with links or quotes because you cannot find any that support your position. The reason that oil is more expensive today than it was in 1999 is that the demand for it has increased faster than the supply. If we were to somehow increase the supply suddenly the price would drop, that is economics 101. That means that, if we doubled the amount of gasoline in inventories, without increasing the demand, the price would go down. That will not happen because most of the gasoline being produced is being consumed in markets outside the US, and production of gasoline has not kept pace with the demand.

Again, economics 101. Ask rdean about supply and demand, he thinks he knows more about it than economists, but he should be able to explain it so well enough that you know how it works.

Your pdf link didn't work.

I read on your other link:

Consumers will pay more for cars upfront but may save money in the long term under new rules finalized Thursday by the Obama administration that will increase fuel efficiency and for the first time set greenhouse gas emissions standards for cars and light trucks.
I don't like being told I'm gonna have to shell out more a new car for a promise from a dishonest government that I MAY SAVE later on.

Sounds like a scam to me.

Obama is making life in America more expensive at a time when we need someone to make it less expensive.

Can you wrap your mind around that concept at all????

Think about this. Yes, the price of cars will go up, but ultimately, people will save money. That is the point. If you can't afford a new car, then obviously you should buy a used one wouldn't you say?
A bad 'solution' for a crisis that doesn't exist for standards that cannot be met with current technology.

CAFE standards should be abolished and let the market deal with people wanting to pay 4 bucks a gallon, for a car that get 10mpg. Face it. People WILL do what is in the best interest of their pocketbooks and needs. If they need a Suburban, they'll buy one regardless of the cost and find other ways to cut spending.

Oh, and as an aside, reduced energy consumption is also a key indicator of lower economic growth. So it's not really a good thing.

Last edited:
Let's be clear: the price of these new cars would only go up $985. Anyone who can afford to buy a new car, can afford just that little extra.

Obama bragged about the $40 measly bucks he saved us a couple of weeks ago....then he ends up costing us nearly $1000 more if we want one of his new cars. Soon he's gonna force us to buy his GD cars because they'll have to meet his pollution standards to remain on the road. He brags about giving us back $13 bucks in taxes but jacks up several taxes elsewhere on tanning-beds, tobacco, booze, several others.

I keep seeing Obama brag about saving us a few buck then costing us thousands. How stupid do you think we are???

Wouldn't be nice if we had a President that could get the cost of living to come down for once, instead of tell us how wonderful the increases will be for us???

Last edited:
Your pdf link didn't work.

I read on your other link:

I don't like being told I'm gonna have to shell out more a new car for a promise from a dishonest government that I MAY SAVE later on.

Sounds like a scam to me.

Obama is making life in America more expensive at a time when we need someone to make it less expensive.

Can you wrap your mind around that concept at all????

Think about this. Yes, the price of cars will go up, but ultimately, people will save money. That is the point. If you can't afford a new car, then obviously you should buy a used one wouldn't you say?
A bad 'solution' for a crisis that doesn't exist for standards that cannot be met with current technology.

CAFE standards should be abolished and let the market deal with people wanting to pay 4 bucks a gallon, for a car that get 10mpg. Face it. People WILL do what is in the best interest of their pocketbooks and needs. If they need a Suburban, they'll buy one regardless of the cost and find other ways to cut spending.

Oh, and as an aside, reduced energy consumption is also a key indicator of lower economic growth. So it's not really a good thing.

Lower consumption is an indication of a worsening economy, especially when you have few alternatives, but the left doesn't want to hear that unless a Republican is in the White House.

The Dems use their media to give everyone their spin on the news. If they want the economy to tank they tell everyone what is bad about current events focusing on the negative.
Progressive/Liberal's anti-business policies are geared toward decreasing consumption thus causing a chain of events that lead to recessions and in some cases depressions as has happened in the past.

Right now the media has been told to make everything seem better than it really is to give Obama a boost, so they focus on positive news throwing out any negative reality that exists in it.

Last edited:
So because it is projected to occur, it doesn't matter at all? That's ridiculous.
Correct..It's called style over substance.
Look, don't tell me what you're going to do....SHOW ME RESULTS...Until those results come to fruition, keep your yapper SHUT.

It WILL occurr, because the standards have already been finalized you jackass.
Yeah? This Admin also said that if we passed the first stimulus, unemployment would not go above 8%.

How'd that work out?

Contrary to what Republicans say, Obama has not only increased domestic oil production, but he has improved fuel efficiency standards in the automotive industry.

In January 2009, the US was producing 6.9 million barrels per day. As of Nov 2010, the US is producing 8.1 million barrels per day.

In addition, under Obama, US dependence on foreign oil has declined considerably. U.S. dependence on foreign oil has declined under Obama as well, going from 58.9 percent of oil consumption in January 2009 to 44 percent in November 2011.

FactCheck.org : Promises, Promises

Because of improvements made in fuel efficiency standards, vehicles made between 2012 and 2016 will save 1.8 billion barrels of oil.

Emissions limits, greater fuel efficiency for cars, light trucks made official

Now it is up to consumers to get on with the show!
Consumers are in no way obligated to make Obama look good.

Again, it's clear you all TRY to hate Obama.

It's pathetic.
Kid, he's just a man. He's certainly not worth worshiping.

And not worshiping him is not the same as hating him.

Sheesh. You lefties sure do like the binary thinking you accuse the right of using, don't you?

When your whole belief system is based on deception you have to rationalize to keep positive.

I am a Democrat because I believe in the environment and conservation. For instance, we must raise the price of gasoline, like they do in Europe, to increase conservation. If we don't, there will soon be a big gas shortage, and this will mean higher gasoline prices for you and me.

Come on, USMB, even if you don't like Obama, you have to give him credit for something.

Is this going to be his reelection pitch?
afro.jpg

Come on Billy, did you really think these ODS sufferers were going to give President Obama credit for anything? If the man cured cancer they'd ask why he hates the drug companies.

In response to your link about LIBERAL talk....
Two words......AIR AMERICA...
Oh, so why is liberal talk relegated to a few obscure channels on satellite radio?

Answer: Because if it were on terrestrial radio, the Arbitrons would be so low, they would not be listed!

CC (not Canadian Club either)

See, they were sabotaging progressive talk in several ways. First off, if they run the programming on their shittiest frequency with the least power, no one else in that market can run it. Second, by not bundling it with other programming, they were reducing the value of their ad sales, and creating a major burden for their sales force. And third, many of the operations were run by people who couldn't care less about progressive talk, which is what you're experiencing in LA. (I know, because I usually listen to their stream... it's pretty sad...)

DownWithTyranny!: IS CLEAR CHANNEL SABOTAGING AIR AMERICA?

I am a Democrat because I believe in the environment and conservation. For instance, we must raise the price of gasoline, like they do in Europe, to increase conservation. If we don't, there will soon be a big gas shortage, and this will mean higher gasoline prices for you and me.

So, to avoid raising the price of gas, we must... raise the price of gas. Brilliant libtard logic, eh?

Again, it's clear you all TRY to hate Obama.

It's pathetic.
I don't hate Obama for his physiology. I hate him for his ideology, philosophy and policy. That's usually good enough for liberals. Why'd the goal posts on this move again? Oh that's right, he's black and you libs are racist.

So, to avoid raising the price of gas, we must... raise the price of gas. Brilliant libtard logic, eh?
And they actually BELIEVE that nonsense.

NOTE: Unlike rderp, I know satire when I see it. Iowahawk is satire.

But this piece is based on real attitudes.

Contrary to what Republicans say, Obama has not only increased domestic oil production, but he has improved fuel efficiency standards in the automotive industry.

In January 2009, the US was producing 6.9 million barrels per day. As of Nov 2010, the US is producing 8.1 million barrels per day.

In addition, under Obama, US dependence on foreign oil has declined considerably. U.S. dependence on foreign oil has declined under Obama as well, going from 58.9 percent of oil consumption in January 2009 to 44 percent in November 2011.

Because of improvements made in fuel efficiency standards, vehicles made between 2012 and 2016 will save 1.8 billion barrels of oil.

"Republicans say"????...Ok where?
BTW, MOST of our domestic oil production is EXPORTED....
BTW, here are charts from the US Energy Information Administration..
» Clearing-up Today’s Obama Energy Lies - Big Government
Clearly, the numbers you posted are inaccurate. The US EIA chart indicates LESS then 6 million bpd of production
Crude Oil Production
US is also a net exporter of oil and gasoline..
What Energy Problem? U.S. Oil Exports Are on the Rise | Fin - Daily Ticker - US - Yahoo! Finance.

The reason exports are increasing is because Crude Oil and gasoline will fetch a higher price on the world market. Also, in direct sales to other countries or companies, the price can be negotiated and set.
There is no law preventing that from happening. And there should not be.
The prices we pay will always be subject to market forces.
However, this report tells the story but in a skewed manner..
Note how the US EIA spins the numbers. The EIA report states that because of oil exports, that oil is not counted as imported. That's ridiculous. We still consume the IMPORTED OIL...
SO the 49% figure is inaccurate. The US consumes 19 BLN BPD..The US Imports over 11 BLN BPD.....or about SIXTY percent.
The EIA then tries to make things look better by stating that some of the imported oil comes from the Western Hemisphere. Really?
32% comes from OPEC.....And to show how irrelevant that is, each time OPEC raises or lowers their output quota, market prices which affect the world oil and gasoline prices, rise and fall.
The EIA attempts to minimize the effect of OPEC and tries to hide the fact that the US is depending on non-friendly nations for crude oil....
Quite frankly this is a whole lot of "who shot John".
We're getting screwed by the same government that liberals swear on the lives of their family members is supposed to "take care of us"...
So please..Don't come here trying to make Obama look like the happy energy guy.....He isn't.

We do not export most of our domestic oil production. We may be a net exporter of gasoline, but in no way do we export "most of our domestic oil production".

Regarding Obama "increasing domestic oil production" that's total bullshit. He's not done a damn thing toward that effort. It's been accomplished by industry investment, technology and innovation, and downright risk taking.

Still on the books- Obama's budget proposes up to $90 billion in tax penalties on the oil and gas industries- penalties that will not hurt the majors aka "Big Oil", but the smaller independently owned companies.
The tax penalties will be passed along to the consumer.
this link shows daily US oil exports. United States Oil - exports - Economy
This link shows the daily US crude production...United States Oil - production - Economy.
Exports are roughly 23% of total production..
this link shows the rank of all nations in oil exports..Oil - exports - Country Comparison
The US is the 12th largest crude exporter.
Over the last 15 years, US oil production has declined. Factors...The marketplace.....this is where producers decide whether it is feasible to produce ( market price allows for profit) or to cap their wells ( market price makes production a loser).
Environmental protests and lobbying.
Political concerns.
The fact is Obama is in no way responsible for any oil production increase, if one existed.
Noiw Obama with the stroke of a pen shut down the deep water production in the Gulf of Mexico. This was a tragic and political knee jerk reaction which is still hampering the economy today. Gas prices are still well over $3 per gallon and of course because Iran is busy having a hissy fit threatening the block tyhe Strait of Hormuz, the market has reacted rather swiftly and with the typical volatility we have seen over the last 10 or so years.
And that leads us to the debate of the day...Should the US start harvesting it's OWN natural resources as a matter of national security? Or should the US continue down this path of trading with countries who's governments do not have US best interests in mind?
Producing more oil in the US will not necessarily make gas and oil products cheaper. But it will give us some security.
I would like to think it gives Americans the opportunity to give OPEC a big old Wyoming Salute.
The thought of being able to tell those fucking fanatical whack jobs in the Middle East that they can take their oil and shove it up their collective asses.

Forum List

Back