Not ALL Repubs are EPA-hating, denier cultists

Dot.com asked American Girl 05 for specific examples of the Obama administration ruining the EPA (where she worked)

Overtly Political management. Attempts to co-opt career employees. Mismanagement.

Issuing regulations outside statutory authority.

Incompetent political appointees.

Add this to the general mismanagement in the Federal government in this Administration and you have disaster.

1) Could you give an example of "overtly political management"? What management decisions/choices/actions did you witness that you believe were driven by politics and not by rational concerns for the environment?

2) What regulations do you believe were issued outside of statutory authority (and I'm familiar with recent SCOTUS decisions*)?

3) What political appointees to the EPA do you believe were incompetent?

* Here's a decent link: Supreme Court limits EPA s authority to regulate carbon dioxide emissions The Rundown PBS NewsHour

Dot.com asked American Girl 05 for specific examples of the Obama administration ruining the EPA (where she worked)

Overtly Political management. Attempts to co-opt career employees. Mismanagement.

Add this to the general mismanagement in the Federal government in this Administration and you have disaster.

1) Could you give an example of "overtly political management"? What management decisions/choices/actions did you witness that you believe were driven by politics and not by rational concerns for the environment?

2) What regulations do you believe were issued outside of statutory authority (and I'm familiar with recent SCOTUS decisions*)?

* Here's a decent link: Supreme Court limits EPA s authority to regulate carbon dioxide emissions The Rundown PBS NewsHour

1. I know of senior employees investigated at the behest of the Administrator's office because they invited someone to speak in a training series who had criticized Obama.

2. The current ones under review and more that are being developed. They take a long time to promulgate.

3. The question would be, which ones in the Obama Administration WERE competent? (Well, actually, I do know of one. One.) If you watched any of the Issa hearings on the John Beale matter (the guy who went to jail for claiming falsely he was working for the CIA and EPA), I think the Deputy Administrator, Persciappe, did not acquit himself well. I think Lisa Jackson was a joke. The head of Administration had to leave because of several scandals on his watch. As I said, there's ONE Obama appointee (and that person resigned several years ago) I though was competent. The rest -- you can have them.

1. I know of senior employees investigated at the behest of the Administrator's office because they invited someone to speak in a training series who had criticized Obama.

Can you explain how you have knowledge of the motivations of the Administrator's office?

2. The current ones under review and more that are being developed. They take a long time to promulgate.

Could you perhaps give us a few specific examples of regulations in the review or promulgation process that you believe are outside statutorial authority?

3. The question would be, which ones in the Obama Administration WERE competent? (Well, actually, I do know of one. One.) If you watched any of the Issa hearings on the John Beale matter (the guy who went to jail for claiming falsely he was working for the CIA and EPA), I think the Deputy Administrator, Persciappe, did not acquit himself well. I think Lisa Jackson was a joke. The head of Administration had to leave because of several scandals on his watch. As I said, there's ONE Obama appointee (and that person resigned several years ago) I though was competent. The rest -- you can have them.

Bob Perisciappe was the EPA Deputy Administrator in 1997 (see http://vjel.vermontlaw.edu/files/2013/06/Volume-4-•-Issue-1.pdf). He was not an Obama appointee.

Lisa Jackson has a very impressive CV (Lisa P. Jackson - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia) : chemical engineer, 16 years in the EPA, NJ Department of Environmental Protection, rising to be its commissioner and then becoming the governor's Chief of Staff before being appointed the Commissioner of the EPA. The only points generally held against her (if you don't work for the fossil fuel industry or make a living involving he release of toxins into the environment) are her testimony that (in May of 2011) she knew of no instances where fracking was directly responsible for groundwater contamination and her use of a private email account to conduct business. The contents of that account have been released to the public and I know of no finding therein of criminal conduct. Jackson resigned rather than preside over the approval of the Keystone pipeline. You'll have to tell me why you believe her to be professionally incompetent.

Can you explain how you have knowledge of the motivations of the Administrator's office?

Could you perhaps give us a few specific examples of regulations in the review or promulgation process that you believe are outside statutorial authority?

Bob Perisciappe was the EPA Deputy Administrator in 1997 (see http://vjel.vermontlaw.edu/files/2013/06/Volume-4-•-Issue-1.pdf). He was not an Obama appointee.

Lisa Jackson has a very impressive CV (Lisa P. Jackson - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia) : chemical engineer, 16 years in the EPA, NJ Department of Environmental Protection, rising to be its commissioner and then becoming the governor's Chief of Staff before being appointed the Commissioner of the EPA. The only points generally held against her (if you don't work for the fossil fuel industry or make a living involving he release of toxins into the environment) are her testimony that (in May of 2011) she knew of no instances where fracking was directly responsible for groundwater contamination and her use of a private email account to conduct business. The contents of that account have been released to the public and I know of no finding therein of criminal conduct. Jackson resigned rather than preside over the approval of the Keystone pipeline. You'll have to tell me why you believe her to be professionally incompetent.

1. Because I am personal friends with the person who was investigated and am aware of all the details of the situation.

2. The carbon dioxide regs are ridiculous.

3. Well, you are wrong. Persciappe was Deputy Administrator in this Administration. Yes, he served in the position under Clinton, but your information isn't up to date.

As far as Lisa Jackson is concerned, you are quoting her resume. You have no knowledge of her actual performance in office (abysmal). She was only interested in media attention for the Obama initiatives. My objections to her are because of her management style. Her interest was not in managing the agency. She was petty, Political (the capitalization is intentional) and an Obamabot.

I'd point out that anyone who served as Corzine's chief political operative doesn't have positives going for her.

Let me just quote how one of my former colleagues described the Administrator's Office under Jackson, "Political thugs."

As far as Lisa Jackson is concerned, you are quoting her resume. You have no knowledge of her actual performance in office (abysmal). She was only interested in media attention for the Obama initiatives. My objections to her are because of her management style. Her interest was not in managing the agency. She was petty, Political (the capitalization is intentional) and an Obamabot..

Interesting that you would attack Lisa Jackson, since she was the ONLY administrator to give you a gold service award. So Christie Todd Whitma, Michael Levit etc. etc. etc. didn't give you a gold award, but Lisa Jackson did.

Your biteress causes you to bite the hand that feeds you.

Again, how do you know the motivations of the Administration in the case to which you refer? They would not have admitted to an illegal or inappropriate action and you didn't say they did. Did the person being investigated tell you they were being investigated because they'd hired someone who'd criticized the president?

"The carbon dioxide regs are ridiculous" is an unsubstantiated assertion. If one accepts the view of a very large majority of the experts, they are significantly less strict than the regulation that ought to be in place.

Persciappe did serve as the Deputy Commisioner under Obama, but he was put in that position by the Bush administration.

Again, how do you know the motivations of the Administration in the case to which you refer? They would not have admitted to an illegal or inappropriate action and you didn't say they did. Did the person being investigated tell you they were being investigated because they'd hired someone who'd criticized the president?

"The carbon dioxide regs are ridiculous" is an unsubstantiated assertion. If one accepts the view of a very large majority of the experts, they are significantly less strict than the regulation that ought to be in place.

Persciappe did serve as the Deputy Commisioner under Obama, but he was put in that position by the Bush administration.

They didn't hire someone. They brought them to speak. Just to correct the record. How do I know? Because what preceded the investigation of the program and the manager in charge was direct criticism from the Administrator's office for inviting the speaker. Who, BTW, was considered a liberal partisan but he had expressed negative thoughts about Obama's reelection.

There is no Deputy Commissioner in EPA. The appropriate title is Deputy Administrator. Persciappe was NEVER a Bush appointee. He was a Clinton appointee, as Assistant Administrator in each of the Offices of Water and Air and Radiation. He was appointed Deputy Administrator under Clinton after Carol Browner ran through a series of Deputies. She managed to be able to work with him. He left when the Administration changed to Bush. He was brought back under Obama.

If you are that ignorant, it's no use posting to you.

How do you explain this quote: "
Memorandum from Deputy Administrator Bob Persciappe (EPA) to Regional
Administrators 4-7 (Aug. 8, 1997)" from http://vjel.vermontlaw.edu/files/2013/06/Volume-4-•-Issue-1.pdf ?

The president of the United States in 1997 was... umm.... not George Bush. Cerebral Flatulence has struck. I lost eight years in there somewhere. My apologies. A Clinton appointee. Got it.

Regarding your speaker: when they "brought them to speak", I assume they paid them. Thus they hired them. When the Administrator's office criticized this choice of speaker, or this event... did they actually say anything along the lines of "we object to you bringing in a speaker that has criticized the President"?

Regarding your opinion of the CO2 regulations: do you accept AGW as valid?

How do you explain this quote: "
Memorandum from Deputy Administrator Bob Persciappe (EPA) to Regional
Administrators 4-7 (Aug. 8, 1997)" from http://vjel.vermontlaw.edu/files/2013/06/Volume-4-•-Issue-1.pdf ?

The president of the United States in 1997 was... umm.... not George Bush. Cerebral Flatulence has struck. I lost eight years in there somewhere. My apologies. A Clinton appointee. Got it.

Regarding your speaker: when they "brought them to speak", I assume they paid them. Thus they hired them. When the Administrator's office criticized this choice of speaker, or this event... did they actually say anything along the lines of "we object to you bringing in a speaker that has criticized the President"?

Regarding your opinion of the CO2 regulations: do you accept AGW as valid?

The term "hire" in the Federal Government has a specific meaning. This individual was contracted to come in and provide a lecture on issues relevant to mid-management development in EPA. The individual received any remuneration through a contract arrangement. Hence, he was not hired.

Yes, they said that. This was in the early runup to the 2012 election and the individual had expressed an opinion on a talk show that Obama would have a hard time being reelected.

I accept global climate change as valid but instead of modifying our behavior to the extreme of affecting our fragile economy, I support more research and development on technologies, more diplomacy to get the nations whose actions could more effectively deal with the problem to deal with it (China, India), and more reliance on voluntary programs, which are quite successful (Energy Star, Green Power initiative, there are a bunch of them).

Forum List

Back