Not A "Great" Guitarest....But Gets The Job Done

i have a 200 "GREATEST ROCK GUITARISTS" list.....for what its worth....:razz:

Steve Howe is no. 22

Schenker is no. 48

The Edge is no.182.....this guy i agree with dave.....HE SUCKS...

I wouldn't say The Edge sucks. He is a master at using a delay effects pedal. Using technology coupled with average playing ability makes him a 'Gets The Job Done' kind of guitarist.

Steve Lukather - Toto

Mark Knopfler - Dire Straits

Tom Morello - Rage Against the Machine

but mark knopfler falls under the great guitarist umbrella as does someone like, say, nils lofgren.

i think springsteen is underrated, but little steven gets the job done.

i agree Knopf is a dam good player.....

he is no. 31 on the list....

Tom Morello....47

Lofgren...164....

Lukather....69

Last edited:
Steve Lukather - Toto

Mark Knopfler - Dire Straits

Tom Morello - Rage Against the Machine

but mark knopfler falls under the great guitarist umbrella as does someone like, say, nils lofgren.

i think springsteen is underrated, but little steven gets the job done.

i agree Knopf is a dam good player.....

he is no. 31 on the list....

Tom Morello....47

Lofgren...164....

Lukather....69

I'm surprised Nils is that far down on the list. He's brilliant... started playing with Crazy Horse at about 16. He's also the one who made the intro to Southern Man double time so that it sounds as distinctive as it does.

Where's Townsend? I figure he should be in the top ten.

I have Knopf in my top 10 all time... I have seen him live and he puts his studio work to shame... some of the best guitar work I have EVER seen... and I have seen a lot of the greats...and I never was a huge Dire Straits fan

Another that people forget about, because of the type of band he was in, is Nile Rodgers... one hell of a guitarist

I have Knopf in my top 10 all time... I have seen him live and he puts his studio work to shame... some of the best guitar work I have EVER seen... and I have seen a lot of the greats...and I never was a huge Dire Straits fan

Another that people forget about, because of the type of band he was in, is Nile Rodgers... one hell of a guitarist

my favorite dire straits song of all time:

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b9mTPG7VsFE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b9mTPG7VsFE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Mark Knopfler is not a "gets the job done" guy. He is an extremely accomplished and multi dimensional guitarist. And I'm no fan of Dire Starits.

Mark Knopfler is not a "gets the job done" guy. He is an extremely accomplished and multi dimensional guitarist. And I'm no fan of Dire Starits.

i agree i saw him do "Sultans Of Swing" live,the solos were almost note for note like the recording.....i dont think i have ever seen a rock dude do that......

I know Knop get's put in the greats category, but he doesn't crack my top 10 so I added him to the list. I did however expect to get taken to task for it. :D

I can only imagine the gaskets that would blow if I added Jimmy Page and Carlos Santana to this list. Two very accomplished but overrated guitarists IMO. :eusa_whistle:

I know Knop get's put in the greats category, but he doesn't crack my top 10 so I added him to the list. I did however expect to get taken to task for it. :D

I can only imagine the gaskets that would blow if I added Jimmy Page and Carlos Santana to this list. Two very accomplished but overrated guitarists IMO. :eusa_whistle:

i always felt Santana was under rated,especially compared to many of the guys of the early 70's.....Page is arguably over rated.....

i always felt Santana was under rated,especially compared to many of the guys of the early 70's.....Page is arguably over rated.....

Page, arguably overrated? He's been call fragile by his own peers.
You will never see Page "jam" with anyone. He is great when he's in his box...but, he can't step out of it.

You will never see Page "jam" with anyone. He is great when he's in his box...but, he can't step out of it.

he was a much better producer than he was a guitarist.

ok so its agreed.....page is over rated.....

ok so its agreed.....page is over rated.....

i think so. they put on a good show back in the day, though, and his production holds up a lot better than most recordings from then, imo.

Danny Kirwan from the Peter Green days of Fleetwood Mac is another who is kinda underrated but did some nice work....

Francis Rossi from Status Quo......

John Cipollina...Quicksilver Messenger Service....nice soaring solos....

Kim Simmonds....Savoy Brown......

Zal Yanovsky....Lovin Spoonful.....they influenced Cream....

Billy Squire had some good riffs and skills. and i think is underappreciated.. everybody thinks of him as the stroke/joke guy but he could play a guitar

Joe Walsh also.. minus the time with the eagles..

Forum List

Back