NFL National Anthem Controversy Summed Up

Not sure why the Right would want to be as intolerant to opposing views as the Regressive Left.
You have no freedom of speech at work.
We could just live and let live, allow people to express themselves as long as it doesn't (really) affect us. Being "offended" doesn't count.

There's always an excuse to try to shut someone up.

Not sure why the Right would want to be as intolerant to opposing views as the Regressive Left.

There should be no tolerance for opposing views using the forum of the national anthem.

Protest by not showing up to play the game. I bet that will make for some good headlines!

The hypocrisy of the NFL is also on display. Want to wear a message on your headband? Oh, no! We cannot allow that because our advertisers pay us to wear their stuff!

Want to show disrespect for our nation during the national anthem? Go right ahead. That's a freedom of speech issue.
Putting limits on freedom of expression is something the Regressives do too.

It seems like there's always an excuse for shutting down opposing speech.

I am unsure (as per usual) as to your position. You talk circles around a topic. Are you saying that preventing someone from protesting at their job is shutting down opposing speech? If that is the case, go talk to your boss and see if they agree!
I'm extremely consistent, and no more so than this topic.

I believe in freedom of expression. If they want to make this "statement", let them. Disagree with them, great. But trying to punish them in some way for doing it is not exactly going to change their mind.

Does the shutting down of a conservative from speaking at a college change your mind? Nope. In fact, it probably makes you even more resolute on that topic.

This ain't complicated for me. If I see a problem, I want to fix it, not make it worse. Screaming at each other and trying to shut each other up only makes it worse.

Who said I want to change their mind? They can protest after the game anytime they want. It is not the protest. Everyone has that right and the right to prove themselves stupid beyond any doubt.

If they want to peacefully protest outside a police headquarters if that is stuck in their craw, great! If they want to march down a city street, go for it! If they want to dress up as pussies and walk down the National Mall, more power to them!

Protesting the national anthem by disrespect at an NFL game, NBA, game, NHL game, Little League, Pop Warner league, etc. is unacceptable. They are playing a game,. Protests have no place.

I want to see all the liberals crying when teams start protesting by kneeling at the 50 yard-line and holding a prayer. Then we can say, "Hey, you started it!"

And if USA won't tolerate Trump's snowflake brigades trying to steal valor from the military to justify bigotry? What then? I mean, you've stooped low before, but this is kind of a new low for you.

No matter. This will all fade in a week, when the Trumpflakes get their orders to get poutraged over something new. In the meantime, Kaepernick is a national hero, the issue of police brutality is front and center again, and Trump looks even more petty, weak and immoral. Liberals are pleased with that outcome, and we thank you for helping make it happen.
Shut up or we toss cotton at you.

You have no freedom of speech at work.
We could just live and let live, allow people to express themselves as long as it doesn't (really) affect us. Being "offended" doesn't count.

There's always an excuse to try to shut someone up.

I tend to agree, personally, I think what they are doing is childish given the privilege they all enjoy. Shit many of them make more per game then some people will see over the course of their lives.

Protesting the national anthem by disrespect at an NFL game, NBA, game, NHL game, Little League, Pop Warner league, etc. is unacceptable.
Okay, where is the rule on that? Is it in the Constitution?

And, does this traumatize you in some way? Do you feel victimized?
Doing Nazi salutes to a burning cross at NFL games acceptable?

Everyone has lines drawn, just in different locations.

There should be no tolerance for opposing views using the forum of the national anthem.

Protest by not showing up to play the game. I bet that will make for some good headlines!

The hypocrisy of the NFL is also on display. Want to wear a message on your headband? Oh, no! We cannot allow that because our advertisers pay us to wear their stuff!

Want to show disrespect for our nation during the national anthem? Go right ahead. That's a freedom of speech issue.

I am unsure (as per usual) as to your position. You talk circles around a topic. Are you saying that preventing someone from protesting at their job is shutting down opposing speech? If that is the case, go talk to your boss and see if they agree!

I believe in freedom of expression. If they want to make this "statement", let them. Disagree with them, great. But trying to punish them in some way for doing it is not exactly going to change their mind.

Does the shutting down of a conservative from speaking at a college change your mind? Nope. In fact, it probably makes you even more resolute on that topic.

This ain't complicated for me. If I see a problem, I want to fix it, not make it worse. Screaming at each other and trying to shut each other up only makes it worse.

Who said I want to change their mind? They can protest after the game anytime they want. It is not the protest. Everyone has that right and the right to prove themselves stupid beyond any doubt.

If they want to peacefully protest outside a police headquarters if that is stuck in their craw, great! If they want to march down a city street, go for it! If they want to dress up as pussies and walk down the National Mall, more power to them!

Protesting the national anthem by disrespect at an NFL game, NBA, game, NHL game, Little League, Pop Warner league, etc. is unacceptable. They are playing a game,. Protests have no place.

I want to see all the liberals crying when teams start protesting by kneeling at the 50 yard-line and holding a prayer. Then we can say, "Hey, you started it!"
While on contract they have limits on what they can do and still get a pay check.

I think you miss the entire point. no one has ever said they don't have a right to do what they do. But everyone has a right not to like what they do. And voice an opinion about it. why are you against opposition comment? I don't get your infantile position in that. BTW, it would be nice if they actually did care about something, like playing fking football and win games and be successful. If they wish to be a professional protester go for it, hang up the cleats and go. again, no one is saying they ain't got a right, but maybe it makes more sense to let everyone know what it is you're against and how it pertains to the event about to be played. just saying.

Credit Trump for the increase in players protesting the National Anthem

`
`

Summed up? Considering the human calamities and dangers happening around us, and this nation seems to be absolutely fixated on this non-issue, I sum it up by saying simplistic and weak minds are easy to manipulate.

Protesting the national anthem by disrespect at an NFL game, NBA, game, NHL game, Little League, Pop Warner league, etc. is unacceptable.

I'm still trying to get my head around what offended them so by Trump's words.

Millionaires who play kids games for their wealth can do a lot of real things to improve whatever cause they think is important. The antics of NFL players is just pure leftist BS of accomplishing nothing while pissing off half the people.

If you read the 1st Amendment, it only mentions Congress righting laws. Since they have not limited their speech by law, why can't their employer limit their speech?

You libs just don't get it.

As libs often say when conservatives complain about free speech issues, you have freedom of speech, but you do not have freedom from consequences of that speech.

I'm still trying to get my head around what offended them so by Trump's words.
Everyone has the right to free speech as long as it fits the leftist agenda.

I think you miss the entire point. no one has ever said they don't have a right to do what they do. But everyone has a right not to like what they do. And voice an opinion about it. why are you against opposition comment? I don't get your infantile position in that. BTW, it would be nice if they actually did care about something, like playing fking football and win games and be successful. If they wish to be a professional protester go for it, hang up the cleats and go. again, no one is saying they ain't got a right, but maybe it makes more sense to let everyone know what it is you're against and how it pertains to the event about to be played. just saying.
Oh my. Sorry for being infantile, I'll certainly try to increase my comments to your prodigious intellectual level.

This is precisely the argument I get from the Regressive Left. "We're just voicing our opinion", when they're actually trying to do more than that. Trump said that player who protests like this is a "son of a bitch" and should be fired. And the crowd cheered. That's exactly what a Regressive would do. Punish and intimidate.

Those are his words, not mine. So my point remains: Not sure why you folks are so eager to act like the Regressives.

You know, this whole debate is really kinda stupid. Why? Because they aren't doing their protest for the whole game, just during the time the anthem is being played. It could be worse..................they could be burning flags on the sidelines.

But, it's only a half to a minute of time in a game that lasts for several hours. And, they don't keep up the protest during the game. Shoot, the players didn't even show up on the field for the national anthem until 2009. Why? Because it was a marketing ploy designed to make sports look more "patriotic".

Late last month, as the country was only just becoming consumed by Colin Kaepernick, Tom E. Curran of Comcast Sportsnet New England reported that, actually, NFL players did not typically stand for the national anthem until 2009. Somehow this escaped many of us until, uh, Stephen A. Smith highlighted it this morning on First Take.

Responding to a tip from one of his "boys," Smith brought up the fact that until 2009—eight years and a new Presidential administration after 9/11—players weren't on the field for the national anthem and instead generally remained in the locker room. According to Smith's boy (and the researcher at ESPN who checked it), the switch happened "because it was seen as a marketing strategy to make the athletes look more patriotic."

Stephen A. Smith Points Out NFL's Paid Patriotism Problem

And, what Trump said in defending his comments was pretty laughable as well. He said as president he's supposed to defend the flag. No, as president he is supposed to support and defend the CONSTITUTION against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

If you want to stand, stand. If you want to kneel, kneel. Either way it's free speech protected by the Constitution, and it doesn't really have any effect on the game one way or the other. It's just a molehill that has been molded into a mountain.

If you read the 1st Amendment, it only mentions Congress righting laws. Since they have not limited their speech by law, why can't their employer limit their speech?

As libs often say when conservatives complain about free speech issues, you have freedom of speech, but you do not have freedom from consequences of that speech.

Absolutely. What they are doing is wrong and not good for the game.

I believe in freedom of expression for all. The more the merrier. Let's hear it and discuss it.

You and the Regressive Left don't.

Forum List

Back