Need More Proof the American Economy Is Bad For The Average Citizen?

Pet shelters are overflowing because Americans can't afford pets anymore. They are also missing appointments to spay and neuter the pets they do have because they just can't afford it anymore. After paying high prices for housing, food, and many other things, animals in shelters are low on the totem pole and are taking the hit.

Sprawling Medical bills even if you have insurance, record personal per capita debt, skyrocketing homelessness even among working people, record repossessions on defaulted car loans...

Pets can be prohibitively costly depending on your income.

Good dog food ( not the poisonous mass produced shit) for a medium sized dog ...easily 50 bucks a week. Then there's the vet.

How absurd. No normal person spends that much on either animal.
There are people who don't have their priorities straight when it comes to pets. Those numbers are verified from national averages done by research agencies. The major component is the veterinarian bill.

As a kid I owned many dogs. We actually never visited the veterinarian.... Not ever. A can of Alpo was less than 50 cents. The dogs lived whatever you might consider to be an average lifespan of 5 to 7 years and died.

I don't know if I would have been considered a good dog owner or a poor one.

I do know that most recently my Golden retriever cost nearly $200 a month to feed if I wasn't going to feed him mass-produced China Food. Despite my best efforts he ended up riddled with Tumors.

I was told it's common with the breed.

Last edited:
When I was younger, I owned two horses, at different times. I had to give both back to the owners for the boarding bills that I couldn't pay. It adds up fast. :(
Yes it does, even if you don’t board. Horses are a rich person’s hobby. We were breeding and selling foals, no real $$ in that either. One infected horse hoof....$1,500.

Yes it does, even if you don’t board. Horses are a rich person’s hobby. We were breeding and selling foals, no real $$ in that either. One infected horse hoof....$1,500.
Shit.....that's an expensive fingernail.

There are people who don't have their priorities straight when it comes to pets. Those numbers are verified from national averages done by research agencies. The major component is the veterinarian bill.

As a kid I owned many dogs. We actually never visited the veterinarian.... Not ever. A can of Alpo was less than 50 cents. The dogs lived whatever you might consider to be an average lifespan of 5 to 7 years and died.

I don't know if I would have been considered a good dog owner or a poor one.

I do know that most recently my Golden retriever cost nearly $200 a month to feed if I wasn't going to feed him mass-produced China Food. Despite my best efforts he ended up a riddle with Tumors.

I was told it's common with the breed.
Yep, as a kid we had cats and dogs. Seldom went to the vet. Today we are told that we need worm meds, heartrworm pills and checkups. All require a trip to the vet.

Shit.....that's an expensive fingernail.
It's an infection on the inside of the nail. Very painful (kind of like a toothache). They gotta cut a hole and drain it then it has to be re dressed every day and maybe a special hoof boot. Smelly, nasty, and labor intensive.

Forum List

Back