Need a new hip, need cataract surgery, don't go to Britain..coming here soon...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Yep....so your hip is causing agonizing pain...and you can't see because you have cataracts......my mother had those....diagnosed and the surgery in about two weeks.......but in Britain...the miracle of goovernment controlled medicine means.......long, long waits for surgeries we used to get right away.....

Obamacare will now turn us into an even less efficient British system..

I didn't realize the cut off for surgery would be 37..........being too old for treatment isn't something you want to hear from your Doctor...especially at 37

Ban on Non-Urgent Surgeries Proposed in England Because NHS is Hurting for Money

Patients who need hip operations or cataract surgery could be refused treatment for four months after health chiefs in the north west of England said they could no longer afford to fund all NHS services.

St Helen’s Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) in Merseyside, could become the first in the country to temporarily suspend all non-essential hospital referrals by GPs in a bid to balance its books.

The CCG, which was recently rated ‘inadequate’ by NHS England, said it was aware that the decision would be unpopular but warned that its funding gap was now so large that it would be forced to ‘suspend, reduce or withdraw’ non-urgent services.

Commissioners said that a four-month pause of all elective treatment over the winter months would ‘support hospitals during the busy winter period’ and enable them to concentrate on the sickest patients.

The CCG is also proposing to stop providing over-the-counter painkillers, cough and cold remedies, antihistamines and skin creams for minor ailments as well as gluten free foods and fertility treatment for under 37s.

Wait....the NHS provides food for people with Gluten Intolerance? Seriously? No wonder they are broke--Yep, gotta go down to the chemist and get me some prescription rice cakes. :cheeky-smiley-018:

Get someone who understands all the words to read your post to you. Delaying some elective surgery during winter months is not that big of a deal, and not supplying fertility treatment to women under 37 isn't the same as saying nobody over 37 can get surgery. Comprehension can be your friend. You should work on improving yours.

Get someone who understands all the words to read your post to you. Delaying some elective surgery during winter months is not that big of a deal, and not supplying fertility treatment to women under 37 isn't the same as saying nobody over 37 can get surgery. Comprehension can be your friend. You should work on improving yours.

rationalize
: to think about or describe something (such as bad behavior) in a way that explains it and makes it seem proper, more attractive, etc.

I've heard that song before, but had to check the lyrics to understand what you meant by posting it to me. Are you hitting on me? I'm flattered, but I don't go that way. It's fine if you do though.

I've heard that song before, but had to check the lyrics to understand what you meant by posting it to me. Are you hitting on me? I'm flattered, but I don't go that way. It's fine if you do though.

It's a reference to the spin you are providing. "eh, you can walk on that gimpy hip another few months, hey! as long as you can see in time for Spring, all is well!"

Depends on how they decide to do it. I really don't see how delaying a surgery that will happen anyway saves you money unless you have an older population and hope some die off in those 4 months and never need the surgery. Anyway, they are saying "non-urgent" which is not quite the same as "elective" at least in US parlance. A lot of surgeries are considered elective even if they are urgent life-saving procedures in the US--the person just may not die immediately without them and hang on a week or two or however long.

Depends on how they decide to do it. I really don't see how delaying a surgery that will happen anyway saves you money unless you have an older population and hope some die off in those 4 months and never need the surgery. Anyway, they are saying "non-urgent" which is not quite the same as "elective" at least in US parlance. A lot of surgeries are considered elective even if they are urgent life-saving procedures in the US--the person just may not die immediately without them and hang on a week or two or however long.

Sounds like it has to do with cash flow. It will get done, but winter is a busier time, and the budget will be less stressed a few months later. It didn't say any necessary procedures would be delayed.

Sounds like it has to do with cash flow. It will get done, but winter is a busier time, and the budget will be less stressed a few months later. It didn't say any necessary procedures would be delayed.

Again "necessary" is a little subjective. Someone could elect not to have a hearth cath and die so it really isn't necessary except to the extent the person does not want to die. Not attacking you, it is just odd sometimes to see something like a major life-saving surgery to be categorized as an elective procedure as if it were the same as a nose job, but it happens.

As for the budget, maybe. This is one facility though so hopefully people could go elsewhere. Maybe that is what they are hoping for--they can shift the costs onto other facilities. Not sure. It isn't well explained in the article.

It's a reference to the spin you are providing. "eh, you can walk on that gimpy hip another few months, hey! as long as you can see in time for Spring, all is well!"

Here's a hint. With lyrics like these, You're sending out different signals than you claim. You're not my type. Sorry.

All I know is that to me
You look like you're lots of fun
Open up your lovin' arms
I want some, want some

I set my sights on you (and no one else will do)
And I, I've got to have my way now, baby

All I know is that to me
You look like you're having fun
Open up your lovin' arms
Watch out here I come

I got to be your friend now, baby
And I would like to move in just a little bit closer

All I know is that to me
Open up your lovin' arms
Watch out, here I come

I want your love
I want your love

All I know is that to me
Open up your lovin' arms
Watch out, here I come

Again "necessary" is a little subjective. Someone could elect not to have a hearth cath and die so it really isn't necessary except to the extent the person does not want to die. Not attacking you, it is just odd sometimes to see something like a major life-saving surgery to be categorized as an elective procedure as if it were the same as a nose job, but it happens.

As for the budget, maybe. This is one facility though so hopefully people could go elsewhere. Maybe that is what they are hoping for--they can shift the costs onto other facilities. Not sure. It isn't well explained in the article.

Don't be silly. A heart catheter certainly necessary. Odd remarks like that make your post sound childish.

Don't be silly. A heart catheter certainly necessary. Odd remarks like that make your post sound childish.

Doesn't change that it is an elective procedure unless it is done while you are coming through the ED crashing. My grandfather had to have his chest/belly cut open and his aortic artery wrapped in gortex to keep it from exploding and it was categorized as an elective procedure. It struck me as odd when I read that seeing how he was going to rupture and die without it.

Here's a hint. With lyrics like these, You're sending out different signals than you claim. You're not my type. Sorry.

All I know is that to me
Open up your lovin' arms
I want some, want some

I set my sights on you (and no one else will do)
And I, I've got to have my way now, baby

All I know is that to me
You look like you're having fun
Open up your lovin' arms
Watch out here I come

I got to be your friend now, baby
And I would like to move in just a little bit closer

All I know is that to me
Open up your lovin' arms
Watch out, here I come

I want your love
I want your love

All I know is that to me
Open up your lovin' arms
Watch out, here I come

I picked the chorus, the rest is up to your interpretation.

I probably not pretty enough for you anyway.

Yeah...again.......My mother had her cataract surgery two weeks from the time she went in to see the doctor....in January.......

And they have to get permission to get over the counter medicine...

You guys keep explaining away crappy, painful wait periods for basic medicine....you will be all too familiar with it under obamacare...........and you deserve every painful second you suffer.....

Doesn't change that it is an elective procedure unless it is done while you are coming through the ED crashing. My grandfather had to have his chest/belly cut open and his aortic artery wrapped in gortex to keep it from exploding and it was categorized as an elective procedure. It struck me as odd when I read that seeing how he was going to rupture and die without it.

That does sound unusual, but either way, that is not the type of delay described in the OP

When has anyone in the United States had to wait simply because it was the winter....? Do you morons even realize how you are rationlizing crappy medical care......how far will you go as it gets worse and worse....

That does sound unusual, but either way, that is not the type of delay described in the OP

My understanding is that if it is something that is scheduled in advance, it is "elective" so if that is the same in the UK then it goes back to the point that it just depends on what they mean by elective as to how good or bad this policy could be. Putting off a knee replacement a few months might be no big thing (and probably better to reduce the risk of infection-rejection during cold/flu season) but putting off a gall bladder removal when the person is just miserably ill may not be.

When has anyone in the United States had to wait simply because it was the winter....? Do you morons even realize how you are rationlizing crappy medical care......how far will you go as it gets worse and worse....

Read your own OP. This is in England dumbass. We don't have the same healthcare system as they do.

My understanding is that if it is something that is scheduled in advance, it is "elective" so if that is the same in the UK then it goes back to the point that it just depends on what they mean by elective as to how good or bad this policy could be. Putting off a knee replacement a few months might be no big thing (and probably better to reduce the risk of infection-rejection during cold/flu season) but putting off a gall bladder removal when the person is just miserably ill may not be.

Scheduled in advance doesn't make it elective.

Forum List

Back