Need a new hip, need cataract surgery, don't go to Britain..coming here soon...

Again "necessary" is a little subjective. Someone could elect not to have a hearth cath and die so it really isn't necessary except to the extent the person does not want to die. Not attacking you, it is just odd sometimes to see something like a major life-saving surgery to be categorized as an elective procedure as if it were the same as a nose job, but it happens.

As for the budget, maybe. This is one facility though so hopefully people could go elsewhere. Maybe that is what they are hoping for--they can shift the costs onto other facilities. Not sure. It isn't well explained in the article.

Don't be silly. A heart catheter certainly necessary. Odd remarks like that make your post sound childish.

Doesn't change that it is an elective procedure unless it is done while you are coming through the ED crashing. My grandfather had to have his chest/belly cut open and his aortic artery wrapped in gortex to keep it from exploding and it was categorized as an elective procedure. It struck me as odd when I read that seeing how he was going to rupture and die without it.

That does sound unusual, but either way, that is not the type of delay described in the OP

My understanding is that if it is something that is scheduled in advance, it is "elective" so if that is the same in the UK then it goes back to the point that it just depends on what they mean by elective as to how good or bad this policy could be. Putting off a knee replacement a few months might be no big thing (and probably better to reduce the risk of infection-rejection during cold/flu season) but putting off a gall bladder removal when the person is just miserably ill may not be.

Scheduled in advance doesn't make it elective.

Yes it does, but whatever. Believe whatever you want to believe.

Get someone who understands all the words to read your post to you. Delaying some elective surgery during winter months is not that big of a deal, and not supplying fertility treatment to women under 37 isn't the same as saying nobody over 37 can get surgery. Comprehension can be your friend. You should work on improving yours.

Depends on how they decide to do it. I really don't see how delaying a surgery that will happen anyway saves you money unless you have an older population and hope some die off in those 4 months and never need the surgery. Anyway, they are saying "non-urgent" which is not quite the same as "elective" at least in US parlance. A lot of surgeries are considered elective even if they are urgent life-saving procedures in the US--the person just may not die immediately without them and hang on a week or two or however long.

Sounds like it has to do with cash flow. It will get done, but winter is a busier time, and the budget will be less stressed a few months later. It didn't say any necessary procedures would be delayed.

When has anyone in the United States had to wait simply because it was the winter....? Do you morons even realize how you are rationlizing crappy medical care......how far will you go as it gets worse and worse....

Read your own OP. This is in England dumbass. We don't have the same healthcare system as they do.
Get someone who understands all the words to read your post to you. Delaying some elective surgery during winter months is not that big of a deal, and not supplying fertility treatment to women under 37 isn't the same as saying nobody over 37 can get surgery. Comprehension can be your friend. You should work on improving yours.

Depends on how they decide to do it. I really don't see how delaying a surgery that will happen anyway saves you money unless you have an older population and hope some die off in those 4 months and never need the surgery. Anyway, they are saying "non-urgent" which is not quite the same as "elective" at least in US parlance. A lot of surgeries are considered elective even if they are urgent life-saving procedures in the US--the person just may not die immediately without them and hang on a week or two or however long.

Sounds like it has to do with cash flow. It will get done, but winter is a busier time, and the budget will be less stressed a few months later. It didn't say any necessary procedures would be delayed.

When has anyone in the United States had to wait simply because it was the winter....? Do you morons even realize how you are rationlizing crappy medical care......how far will you go as it gets worse and worse....

Well at least they have insurance. Many people in America cannot get medical procedures because they don't and have no money. Even medicaid patients in my state often have to travel a couple hours to get to a hospital that will do elective medicaid procedures. It is why those folks flood the emergency department--they have trouble finding people to treat them and the ER at least has to give them some level of care locally.

Don't be silly. A heart catheter certainly necessary. Odd remarks like that make your post sound childish.

Doesn't change that it is an elective procedure unless it is done while you are coming through the ED crashing. My grandfather had to have his chest/belly cut open and his aortic artery wrapped in gortex to keep it from exploding and it was categorized as an elective procedure. It struck me as odd when I read that seeing how he was going to rupture and die without it.

That does sound unusual, but either way, that is not the type of delay described in the OP

My understanding is that if it is something that is scheduled in advance, it is "elective" so if that is the same in the UK then it goes back to the point that it just depends on what they mean by elective as to how good or bad this policy could be. Putting off a knee replacement a few months might be no big thing (and probably better to reduce the risk of infection-rejection during cold/flu season) but putting off a gall bladder removal when the person is just miserably ill may not be.

Scheduled in advance doesn't make it elective.

Yes it does, but whatever. Believe whatever you want to believe.

My second CABG was scheduled for 5 weeks, but it wasn't elective.

Read your own OP. This is in England dumbass. We don't have the same healthcare system as they do.

Well at least they have insurance. Many people in America cannot get medical procedures because they don't and have no money. Even medicaid patients in my state often have to travel a couple hours to get to a hospital that will do elective medicaid procedures. It is why those folks flood the emergency department--they have trouble finding people to treat them and the ER at least has to give them some level of care locally.

The fix for American healthcare is not to give it to the government......the fix is easy...but the need for democrats to have power over healthcare is the goal.......

Can't wait to gloat to the next Brit I run into about how when our president revolutionized our health care system I was able to keep my health plan and my doctor and saved $2,500.00 per year to boot. No wonder people are flocking across our borders, huh?

The fix for American healthcare is not to give it to the government......the fix is easy...but the need for democrats to have power over healthcare is the goal.......

Sure the democrats want to have power over healthcare, and teh GOp wants Wall Street to have power over healthcare. Neither one is really that much more attractive than the other.

Sure the democrats want to have power over healthcare, and teh GOp wants Wall Street to have power over healthcare. Neither one is really that much more attractive than the other.

The Republicans will make healthcare better.....the democrats don't care how it is as long as they control it......

The Republicans will make healthcare better.....the democrats don't care how it is as long as they control it......

Okay, my name is DK Deck Yo Momma in youtube but during the day I just graduated high school last spring and turned 18 and working delivering pizzas. Having a going off to college party for my cousin in Chicago and my cousin's girls ex-boyfriend decides to spray gunfire into this party and I have my intestines punctured and it is going to be taking me a year or more of medical treatments to recover. What is the GOP healthcare plan that is going to help me?

Okay, my name is DK Deck Yo Momma in youtube but during the day I just graduated high school last spring and turned 18 and working delivering pizzas. Having a going off to college party for my cousin in Chicago and my cousin's girls ex-boyfriend decides to spray gunfire into this party and I have my intestines punctured and it is going to be taking me a year or more of medical treatments to recover. What is the GOP healthcare plan that is going to help me?

Healthcare savings accounts an other options......they have put several plans out there.....the savings accounts put the incentive in keeping the money you don't use, especially when you are younger and aren't using healthcare as much....they also want to allow interstate healthcare....instead of in state monopolies.......

they have many plans...that don't include government bureaucrats deciding what you can or can't have for healthcare.

Healthcare savings accounts an other options......they have put several plans out there.....the savings accounts put the incentive in keeping the money you don't use, especially when you are younger and aren't using healthcare as much....they also want to allow interstate healthcare....instead of in state monopolies.......

they have many plans...that don't include government bureaucrats deciding what you can or can't have for healthcare.

So I am an 18 year kid not on medicaid with a bullet hole in my gut and your republican solution is for me to buy a high deductible policy with a HSA that I won't be getting a subsidy for because you have repealed the ACA and have no income to pay either the premium or fund the HSA? Call me skeptical, but "Sell drugs and use the money to pay your medical bills off through a collection agency they get turned over to at 30 cents on the dollar" is more realistic than the GOP solution.

Yep....so your hip is causing agonizing pain...and you can't see because you have cataracts......my mother had those....diagnosed and the surgery in about two weeks.......but in Britain...the miracle of goovernment controlled medicine means.......long, long waits for surgeries we used to get right away.....

Obamacare will now turn us into an even less efficient British system..

I didn't realize the cut off for surgery would be 37..........being too old for treatment isn't something you want to hear from your Doctor...especially at 37

Ban on Non-Urgent Surgeries Proposed in England Because NHS is Hurting for Money

Patients who need hip operations or cataract surgery could be refused treatment for four months after health chiefs in the north west of England said they could no longer afford to fund all NHS services.

St Helen’s Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) in Merseyside, could become the first in the country to temporarily suspend all non-essential hospital referrals by GPs in a bid to balance its books.

The CCG, which was recently rated ‘inadequate’ by NHS England, said it was aware that the decision would be unpopular but warned that its funding gap was now so large that it would be forced to ‘suspend, reduce or withdraw’ non-urgent services.

Commissioners said that a four-month pause of all elective treatment over the winter months would ‘support hospitals during the busy winter period’ and enable them to concentrate on the sickest patients.

The CCG is also proposing to stop providing over-the-counter painkillers, cough and cold remedies, antihistamines and skin creams for minor ailments as well as gluten free foods and fertility treatment for under 37s.
Just FYI, Obamacare only requires that people have health insurance. It's not a one payer socialized medicine program.
Also, the British health care system in an inefficient socialized medicine system. Per the WHO (World Health Organization), the number one health care system in the world currently belongs to......France. They are also a socialized medicine system, however, they take an aggressive preventive medicine approach to their patients and it is extremely popular. We are, per the WHO, ranked 26th in the world (the last I checked). That's pretty sad for a nation whose bragging republicans like to claim we are the number one nation in the world.

Yep....so your hip is causing agonizing pain...and you can't see because you have cataracts......my mother had those....diagnosed and the surgery in about two weeks.......but in Britain...the miracle of goovernment controlled medicine means.......long, long waits for surgeries we used to get right away.....

Obamacare will now turn us into an even less efficient British system..

I didn't realize the cut off for surgery would be 37..........being too old for treatment isn't something you want to hear from your Doctor...especially at 37

Ban on Non-Urgent Surgeries Proposed in England Because NHS is Hurting for Money

Patients who need hip operations or cataract surgery could be refused treatment for four months after health chiefs in the north west of England said they could no longer afford to fund all NHS services.

St Helen’s Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) in Merseyside, could become the first in the country to temporarily suspend all non-essential hospital referrals by GPs in a bid to balance its books.

The CCG, which was recently rated ‘inadequate’ by NHS England, said it was aware that the decision would be unpopular but warned that its funding gap was now so large that it would be forced to ‘suspend, reduce or withdraw’ non-urgent services.

Commissioners said that a four-month pause of all elective treatment over the winter months would ‘support hospitals during the busy winter period’ and enable them to concentrate on the sickest patients.

The CCG is also proposing to stop providing over-the-counter painkillers, cough and cold remedies, antihistamines and skin creams for minor ailments as well as gluten free foods and fertility treatment for under 37s.
Just FYI, Obamacare only requires that people have health insurance. It's not a one payer socialized medicine program.
Also, the British health care system in an inefficient socialized medicine system. Per the WHO (World Health Organization), the number one health care system in the world currently belongs to......France. They are also a socialized medicine system, however, they take an aggressive preventive medicine approach to their patients and it is extremely popular. We are, per the WHO, ranked 26th in the world (the last I checked). That's pretty sad for a nation whose bragging republicans like to claim we are the number one nation in the world.

Yes...I know...it is the gateway to government healthcare....it's job is to destroy our current system so that the push for government healthcare will be the next step.

And don't try the WHO standard....they give points for socialized medicine...and I and others have linked to the bias ranking system they use.

And again..........giving corrupt, greedy politicians control over the healthcare system is not going to make it better......obamacare has not made things better...and that is just the first step.

Forum List

Back