NC Mom discharged from Military

The presumption is that our military is there to protect the interests of the USA.

One has to assume that among the interests of the USA, one must include this woman's children.

She is the unique position of being the very best serviceperson to protect the interests of those children.

She's a truck driver in the military, so finding someone to replace her on the job is no big deal. There's a lot of people in the service and there's a lot of positions for a truck driver on US military bases, too.

She did her time, and she can to continue doing more time, as long as she can do so stateside, so I think that those of you who are outraged about her are being sort of childish.

Many of us are single and/or working moms who have been there, done that with the childcare thing. And thus, figure that if we can do it, she can.

How have you really been there Catz? As a single mother, did the government send you overseas for a year where you were not allowed to bring your children?

i don't think it is the same...catz....the struggles of a single mother and this particular scenario of being sent overseas?

Care

She is not single, she is married with a perfectly capable husband. She signed a contract for EIGHT YEARS not FOUR. Why is everyone so ready to let her drop her obligations?

If every man in the military got a chick pregnant and then showed up at work with his kids because his girlfriend worked do you think they should let him out of his obligation-- if you don't think so please tell me why.

Do you know how many of our military members who are in Iraq and Afghanistan right now have children and have problems with their wives and or girlfriends and or childcare?

How have you really been there Catz? As a single mother, did the government send you overseas for a year where you were not allowed to bring your children?

i don't think it is the same...catz....the struggles of a single mother and this particular scenario of being sent overseas?

Care

My brother did it, and so did his wife (separately, before they got married), and people like me pitched in and took care of their kids. So, before you start talking out of your ass, maybe you should take into consideration who you are talking to.

By the way, ad hominem.

The presumption is that our military is there to protect the interests of the USA.

One has to assume that among the interests of the USA, one must include this woman's children.

She is the unique position of being the very best serviceperson to protect the interests of those children.

She's a truck driver in the military, so finding someone to replace her on the job is no big deal. There's a lot of people in the service and there's a lot of positions for a truck driver on US military bases, too.

She did her time, and she can to continue doing more time, as long as she can do so stateside, so I think that those of you who are outraged about her are being sort of childish.

Many of us are single and/or working moms who have been there, done that with the childcare thing. And thus, figure that if we can do it, she can.

Having an adult low functioning autistic child, I can say childcare is not easy to come by. Who wants to babysit someone in diapers that's bigger than you? Even when he was younger it was difficult to find and keep babysitters, they just don't want to deal with special needs. When we tried to find respite care, we were referred to a service that wanted money just to refer someone to us and then they wouldn't guarantee that someone would take the job and even if they did, they'd be paid more per hour than I made.

I know some single women on welfare because they have special needs kids and can't make enough in a job to pay them to work when they take into account childcare.

Yes, some moms are able to figure it out easier than others, some have better support systems than others.

Having an adult low functioning autistic child, I can say childcare is not easy to come by. Who wants to babysit someone in diapers that's bigger than you? Even when he was younger it was difficult to find and keep babysitters, they just don't want to deal with special needs. When we tried to find respite care, we were referred to a service that wanted money just to refer someone to us and then they wouldn't guarantee that someone would take the job and even if they did, they'd be paid more per hour than I made.

I know some single women on welfare because they have special needs kids and can't make enough in a job to pay them to work when they take into account childcare.

Yes, some moms are able to figure it out easier than others, some have better support systems than others.

She is not single and her children are not autistic. She is married and signed a eight year contract, served four.

Would you allow every man in the military today who had serrved 4 of 8 year contract to go home because his wife can't babysit fulltime?

CaféAuLait;1078874 said:

She is not single and her children are not autistic. She is married and signed a eight year contract, served four.

Would you allow every man in the military today who had serrved 4 of 8 year contract to go home because his wife can't babysit fulltime?

I suppose that would depend on the situation. I think that men should be treated the same as women in the service and everything else.

I don't know her situation. Do you?

REALLY PEOPLE WE HAVE DUAL MILITARY WHERE BOTH SPOUSES ARE DEPLOYED AT THE SAME TIME. Are we really saying the woman can't deploy and leave the kids with their father?

CaféAuLait;1078874 said:

I suppose that would depend on the situation. I think that men should be treated the same as women in the service and everything else.

I don't know her situation. Do you?

Yes, as a matter of fact I do, not only did she tell her story to the media over and over I watched her say she had no family near her and her husband travels for work and she can't find a full time baby sitter...

Those were her conditions for not fulfilling her CONTRACT. She made the contract got the money and schooling but bowed out of it....

I say lets let every service member who has a child do the same because childcare is ultra expensive and you are usually moved away from family and the spouse in this economy will need to work on the salary a soldier is paid.

Who is your military then? Single men? Single women---- who could have a child any day right? So let them out too!!

yes,, and 96 percent of us have bought homes and paid our mortgages,, if we can do it so can the rest of you.. that's fair..

I TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY AGREE. When did this nation turn into a bunch of pussies who expect other people to take care of them?

well good, when all these people pay their mortgages we will call this woman back to serve her time. that's fair.

She signed the papers she needs to get a grip on reality she had a family care plan designed when she was active duty saying where the children would go if a situation like this arrises. Her husband and children would be given on post housing and taken care of. She doesn't want to serve, it's not about her family because the Army would have made sure they were taken care of. So can we please stop babying this woman and make her fulfil her obligations? I have seen single fathers deployed and their children were taken care of.

I don't know why the question of single is even brought up because her husband is still in America not in the military and would be around to take care of the children. The Army should have made her fulfil her obligation you know the thing they PAID HER TO DO.
I agree except I think she should be let out...her mind obviously isn't into it...she should take her lumps, a general discharge or whatever, but not an honorable discharge. At the very least she can man up to the punishment, so to speak. Or she could clean toilets at the local base.

She signed the papers she needs to get a grip on reality she had a family care plan designed when she was active duty saying where the children would go if a situation like this arrises. Her husband and children would be given on post housing and taken care of. She doesn't want to serve, it's not about her family because the Army would have made sure they were taken care of. So can we please stop babying this woman and make her fulfil her obligations? I have seen single fathers deployed and their children were taken care of.

I don't know why the question of single is even brought up because her husband is still in America not in the military and would be around to take care of the children. The Army should have made her fulfil her obligation you know the thing they PAID HER TO DO.

Doesn't your signature say something? You ought to try it.

The Army would NOT have made sure her family was taken care of. THAT is just plain fucking ignorance on your part. Qualifying for housing does NOT include a job for your dependent spouse nor daycare for your children.

I'd have been on that shit in a heartbeat if that was the case.

I was a single father and deployed and my child was taken care of because I imposed on my relatives. The military wasn't taking care of shit.

I could even see the argument if you were talking about a person on active duty. You aren't. You're talking about someone who was discharged honorably from active duty and recalled.

If you weren't so red-brick dumb on the topic or had actually served a hitch, you'd already KNOW what I just posted.

CaféAuLait;1078757 said:

Care

She is not single, she is married with a perfectly capable husband. She signed a contract for EIGHT YEARS not FOUR. Why is everyone so ready to let her drop her obligations?

If every man in the military got a chick pregnant and then showed up at work with his kids because his girlfriend worked do you think they should let him out of his obligation-- if you don't think so please tell me why.

Do you know how many of our military members who are in Iraq and Afghanistan right now have children and have problems with their wives and or girlfriends and or childcare?

The difference being they are on active duty. She was already out and working on the rest of her life WITHOUT the Army's help.

And it doesn't matter where they are. Deployed is deployed. If you cannot deploy because of family, you get discharged. What you folk seem to not want to accept is that discharge for people who cannot deploy because of family situations has been an option for DECADES. This isn't something new.

yes,, and 96 percent of us have bought homes and paid our mortgages,, if we can do it so can the rest of you.. that's fair..

I TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY AGREE. When did this nation turn into a bunch of pussies who expect other people to take care of them?

She's not asking for other people to take of them. She's asking to be allowed to take care of them HERSELF.

Care

My brother did it, and so did his wife (separately, before they got married), and people like me pitched in and took care of their kids. So, before you start talking out of your ass, maybe you should take into consideration who you are talking to.

By the way, ad hominem.

I did it too. So what? My daughter was uprooted from school and sent to my mother in a place she had never lived for 6 months. Great on a kid's psyche. Been there done that as a kid, as well.

I will restate ... you people who haven't been there don't have a fucking clue.

CaféAuLait;1078874 said:

You are misrepresenting the contract. She signed a contract to serve 4 years on active duty the remainder of 8 in the IRR, and we pretty-much DO allow every man in the military to go home after their 4, and I have SEEN plenty discharged over a period of 20 years due to family hardship.

Again, there is nothign special about this. Whoever decided to blow something as SOP as this so far out of proportion is an idiot.

CaféAuLait;1078874 said:

You are misrepresenting the contract. She signed a contract to serve 4 years on active duty the remainder of 8 in the IRR, and we pretty-much DO allow every man in the military to go home after their 4, and I have SEEN plenty discharged over a period of 20 years due to family hardship.

Again, there is nothign special about this. Whoever decided to blow something as SOP as this so far out of proportion is an idiot.

I do not believe I am misrepresenting the contract as the IRR can be called to active service as outlined in the initial contacts she signed.

U.S. Army Individual Ready Reserve (IRR)
... All Soldiers have a statutory eight-year military service obligation (MSO), which is established at the time of entry into military service (Active or Reserve). Traditional enlistment terms are three, four, five and six years. Terms of service for active duty are from 2-6 years.

...These trained Soldiers may be called upon to fill vacancies in Army Reserve units and may replace Soldiers in Active and Reserve Units. Part of the Army's Ready Reserve, the IRR involves individuals who have had training, served previously in the Active Component or the Selected Reserve (such as a member of an Army Reserve unit), and may have some period of Military Service Obligation remaining.

U.S. Army Individual Ready Reserve (IRR)

And she even says here:

Pagan, 27, declined to be interviewed Tuesday. Earlier, she told the Associated Press she knew she might be recalled but didn't take the idea seriously. "When I enlisted, they said almost nobody gets called back when you're in the IRR," she said.

Mom's plight shows Army strain - USATODAY.com

So she knew it was a possibility-- a slim one she says-- she rolled the dice and hoped she would not ever be called back. However when she was she said it was unfair.

CaféAuLait;1078757 said:

Care

The difference being they are on active duty. She was already out and working on the rest of her life WITHOUT the Army's help.

And it doesn't matter where they are. Deployed is deployed. If you cannot deploy because of family, you get discharged. What you folk seem to not want to accept is that discharge for people who cannot deploy because of family situations has been an option for DECADES. This isn't something new.

They don't care gunny, just a bunch of immature know it alls....causing a tantrum for the sake of getting attention....

Not worth the time of day.

The article states that more than half of the people in the irr when recalled ask for an exception or dismissal of such.

guess this was conveniently skipped over?

Amazes me that people who haven't served a month in the service expect this family whose husband had already served 3 tours in afghanistan and she had served her active duty tour completely as well expect these people to give up their lives even further, for their lazy asses sitting behind a computer screen in a comfy computer chair.....

man oh man....what cajones!

care

CaféAuLait;1078757 said:

They don't care gunny, just a bunch of immature know it alls....causing a tantrum for the sake of getting attention....

The article states that more than half of the people in the irr when recalled ask for an exception or dismissal of such.

Amazes me that people who haven't served a month in the service expect this family whose husband had already served 3 tours in afghanistan and she had served her active duty tour completely as well expect these people to give up their lives even further, for their lazy asses sitting behind a computer screen in a comfy computer chair.....

care

Looks like you need to reread the article. {Pagan's husband did not serve three tours in the woman who wrties a blog in Fort Bragg-- it was her husband served three tours and she wrote:

"It's a fairness issue," says Rebekah Sanderlin, 32, who writes a blog for families at Fort Bragg, N.C., and whose husband has done three tours in Afghanistan. "If the Army lets her family come first, then they have to let all of our families come first."

( emphaisis added)

What cajones she has to ask that everyone be treated equally! How dare she! /sarcasm

Why should her husband serve three tours while Pagan knew she could be recalled as evidenced by the article and she thought it was a small risk to take. That is cajones to me. How dare Rebekah Sanderlin expect her husband to come home and get a break and send another over , I mean how dare she!! :eusa_eh: /sarcasm

CaféAuLait;1079887 said:

care

Looks like you need to reread the article. {Pagan's husband did not serve three tours in the woman who wrties a blog in Fort Bragg-- it was her husband served three tours and she wrote:

"It's a fairness issue," says Rebekah Sanderlin, 32, who writes a blog for families at Fort Bragg, N.C., and whose husband has done three tours in Afghanistan. "If the Army lets her family come first, then they have to let all of our families come first."

( emphaisis added)

What cajones she has to ask that everyone be treated equally! How dare she! /sarcasm

Why should her husband serve three tours while Pagan knew she could be recalled as evidenced by the article and she thought it was a small risk to take. That is cajones to me. How dare Rebekah Sanderlin expect her husband to come home and get a break and send another over , I mean how dare she!! :eusa_eh: /sarcasm

MY BAD on the afghanistan mistake...

HOWEVER, more than half recalled ask to be dismissed of it....so what makes you PICK on this woman as if it is something out of the ordinary and disgraceful?

Care

Forum List

Back