NC Mom discharged from Military

Againsheila, the 8 year obligation isn't fine print. It's explained to everyone who enlists. In fact, in order to enlist for active duty, you have to sign two contracts. The first one puts you in the reserves, and the second one puts you on active duty, and the reason for that is explained to you in detail at the MEPS. Everyone who volunteers knows they're obligated to serve 8 years. Most aren't asked to, but they all know it's a possibility.

From what I've been reading, most are being asked to do even more. Even those just in the reserves. It used to be a weekend job. My how things have changed.

Againsheila, the 8 year obligation isn't fine print. It's explained to everyone who enlists. In fact, in order to enlist for active duty, you have to sign two contracts. The first one puts you in the reserves, and the second one puts you on active duty, and the reason for that is explained to you in detail at the MEPS. Everyone who volunteers knows they're obligated to serve 8 years. Most aren't asked to, but they all know it's a possibility.

From what I've been reading, most are being asked to do even more. Even those just in the reserves. It used to be a weekend job. My how things have changed.

It's not a "weekend job". You signed up to serve your country, whatever that may entail. The fact that you think so speaks volumes about your level of responsibility, and moral ethics.

If they did NOT read them, that's on THEM. You don't sign up for something like the Military without knowing full well what you're doing, and if you do, you're flat out a fucking idiot that doesn't belong there in the first place.

Fact is, your excuses are getting weaker by the minute, and I have no doubt that you'd be one of those people to sign a contract, and bail on it later just because YOU didn't read what you were signing prior to doing so.

Since this is the first time in my memory that they have done this, I'll give the people who signed the contracts a break. There is no reason to take these same small number of people and make them serve over and over again in a war that puts their lives at risk. Worse, our government offers signing bonus's and then has the nerve to tell those who got the bonus's and ended up wounded that they wanted the money back because they didn't serve their time.

Have you ever served Dis? How would you like to be called back time after time? And if you haven't served, how dare you whine about these heroes because they don't want to serve time after time until that bullet with their name on it eventually finds them?

I remember the relief of each and every soldier I knew that came back from Nam having served their time. I can only imagine the horror if they'd been told they had to go back for both them and their friends and family.

Heck, my father was career military and even he only served in Nam once.

Who you kidding? I know people getting recalled all the time.. They go. It's what they signed up for. They probably don't like it, but again it's what they signed up for. They don't make excuses, and use their children as scapegoats.

Maybe they don't HAVE to.

However, I've already admitted, this woman shouldn't have used her kids that way. She has a husband and the kids should be his responsibility while she is serving.

I can just imagine, my father showing up with the 5 of us in tow when he was ordered to Vietnam.

It's not a "weekend job". You signed up to serve your country, whatever that may entail. The fact that you think so speaks volumes about your level of responsibility, and moral ethics.

I said it "used to be". Don't you remember all the flack the what's his name, Bush Sr's VP got for going in the national guard during the vietnam war?

You think it's perfectly acceptable to just walk away from your responsibilities without repercussions? And would you be saying the same if she just up and walked away from her kids because raising them was too much trouble?

Not perfectly acceptable.. Just acceptable in an imperfect world. Men walk away from their responsiblities and obligations every day of the week, I kind of like it hat this mom thinks of her children first. , This little soldier served her active duty time even went to Iraq I think.. She became inactive and circumstances changed.. So I think the right decision was made.

I think I'll have to agree with you on this one.

CaféAuLait;1075027 said:
My brother was a single dad in the Navy. He went out to sea six months of every year until his term was ended. It was part of his job.

This woman wants special treatment because she has an active vagina. I hate women who pull this shit. They set the rest of us back 100 years.

Witness Sunni's comments...

And who took care of your brother's kids? What if this woman didn't have someone like that? Not all of us do.

The problem with this is she had a contract period. She should NOT have had children if it was going to interfere with her contract and her commitment. If she felt she could have children and fulfill her commitment then she should have assured she had a plan in place.

I have to agree with catzmeow it is setting women’s rights back-- asking for special treatment after demanding the job and saying they can do it the same. This woman proved she can't do it the same as her male counterparts.

I'm getting a bit tired of this thread already. First of all, that article states that out of 25,000 of these reinstatements since 2001, 7500 have been granted exemptions or deferrals for various reasons. Do you think all 7500 of the others were women too? Pffffffttttttt!!!!! She's just one of 7500, so she's not looking for special treatement. Many others have been given the same exemption. Secondly, how many of you here bitching about her have ever served yourselves? If you have, then you have the right to bitch if you actually disagree with her discharge. If you haven't, then shut your trap because you were never willing to serve in the first place.

Like I said, we don't know the whole story, what if the father is already serving in the armed forces? What if he got killed? What if her parents died? I just would like to know more before I can make a determination if what she did was wrong or not.

The article I linked CLEARLY stated that the father was in the states, but had to travel some for his job.

Poor babies.

In that scenario, you find a relative to help, or you pay for childcare, or you change jobs.

BUT YOU HONOR YOUR COMMITMENTS.

Good idea to be changing jobs in this economy, lol.

what a bunch of crap,, are you honestly gonna use Sunni as a yardstick???

I worked for a law enforcement agency. Do you want me to describe how many men feel the same way about women on any demanding job?

Women who ask for special treatment not accorded to their male peers are very damaging to other women who want to work in those fields.

I LOATHE THEM.

As I said; 7500 have received exemptions or deferrals already. I'm willing to bet more of them were men than women.

CaféAuLait;1075027 said:
And who took care of your brother's kids? What if this woman didn't have someone like that? Not all of us do.

The problem with this is she had a contract period. She should NOT have had children if it was going to interfere with her contract and her commitment. If she felt she could have children and fulfill her commitment then she should have assured she had a plan in place.

I have to agree with catzmeow it is setting women’s rights back-- asking for special treatment after demanding the job and saying they can do it the same. This woman proved she can't do it the same as her male counterparts.

I'm getting a bit tired of this thread already. First of all, that article states that out of 25,000 of these reinstatements since 2001, 7500 have been granted exemptions or deferrals for various reasons. Do you think all 7500 of the others were women too? Pffffffttttttt!!!!! She's just one of 7500, so she's not looking for special treatement. Many others have been given the same exemption. Secondly, how many of you here bitching about her have ever served yourselves? If you have, then you have the right to bitch if you actually disagree with her discharge. If you haven't, then shut your trap because you were never willing to serve in the first place.
Who died and left you king?

NC mom recalled to Army duty will be discharged

RALEIGH, N.C. – The North Carolina mother who reported for Army duty with her two young children will be discharged from the military, her attorney said Monday. Attorney Mark Waple of Fayetteville said it wasn't yet clear if Lisa Pagan would receive an honorable discharge or a general discharge under honorable conditions. It also wasn't certain when she would be discharged.

The reason for the discharge will be that she doesn't have, and cannot have, an adequate family care for her two young children, he said.

"There is definitely some feeling of relief, especially since she has been led to believe that the command at Fort Benning is going to do everything to expedite this so she can return to Charlotte, North Carolina, with her children," Waple said of Pagan's reaction to the decision.

I call bullshit on this nonsense. Girlfriend needs to grow the fuck up. If women want to be equals, they have to step up and be equals, even when it is difficult and challenging.

There have been a lot of times in my life when finding childcare was difficult. I worked it out.

I wish the military had not caved in this situation. It sets a dangerous precedent.

That article was writ really bad..

When I was 21 years old right around 9/11 I went to join the military and they denied me because I was convicted of possession of weed when I was 18 despite my 90 ASVAB score.

I'm still upset to this day because of it... Its astounding how they let retards into the military who score 40 on their ASVAB but I get a 90 and I'm rejected because of some stupid crap I did as a kid?

I tried 3 or 4 times to get in too... I was refused waivers, it was epic.. Maybe it was for the best, I'm too old now to try again. Alot of my friends went to Iraq and served a tour or two and I was denied all because I was caught with pot...

When I was 21 years old right around 9/11 I went to join the military and they denied me because I was convicted of possession of weed when I was 18 despite my 90 ASVAB score.

I'm still upset to this day because of it... Its astounding how they let retards into the military who score 40 on their ASVAB but I get a 90 and I'm rejected because of some stupid crap I did as a kid?

I tried 3 or 4 times to get in too... I was refused waivers, it was epic.. Maybe it was for the best, I'm too old now to try again. Alot of my friends went to Iraq and served a tour or two and I was denied all because I was caught with pot...

Yes, the article was writ really bad. No, you're not too old to enlist. Hooo-aaahhh! Go get 'em Tiger.

RALEIGH, N.C. – The North Carolina mother who reported for Army duty with her two young children will be discharged from the military, her attorney said Monday. Attorney Mark Waple of Fayetteville said it wasn't yet clear if Lisa Pagan would receive an honorable discharge or a general discharge under honorable conditions. It also wasn't certain when she would be discharged.

The reason for the discharge will be that she doesn't have, and cannot have, an adequate family care for her two young children, he said.

"There is definitely some feeling of relief, especially since she has been led to believe that the command at Fort Benning is going to do everything to expedite this so she can return to Charlotte, North Carolina, with her children," Waple said of Pagan's reaction to the decision.

I call bullshit on this nonsense. Girlfriend needs to grow the fuck up. If women want to be equals, they have to step up and be equals, even when it is difficult and challenging.

There have been a lot of times in my life when finding childcare was difficult. I worked it out.

I wish the military had not caved in this situation. It sets a dangerous precedent.

You can call bullshit if you want, but the fact is, childcare is not as easily available and/or affordable for single parents in the military as you would appear to think.

"Mom" isn't always thrilled to watch your little angel when you deploy. There's also the legal side of possible loss of custody to the other parent if they choose to push the issue while you are gone.

Sometimes things change and you are no longer able to fulfill your military commitments. I've seen commands say, "tough shit, that's your problem." It's a two-way street.

I cannot understand the hostility toward this service person.

She reported for duty but showed up with her OTHER responsibilities, too.

What choice did she have? Apprently none.

Our military cannot give her a stateside billet so she can fulfill her obligations, AND take care of her children, too?

Why not?

I find that rather hard to understand.

At any rate, she, just like any man in similar circumstances, is eligible for a HARDSHIP DISCHARGE if the military cannot work with her.

She's served honorable, hasn't she?

She's willing to continue serving honorably, too, isn't she?

Why the anger directed at her?

You can call bullshit if you want, but the fact is, childcare is not as easily available and/or affordable for single parents in the military as you would appear to think.

"Mom" isn't always thrilled to watch your little angel when you deploy. There's also the legal side of possible loss of custody to the other parent if they choose to push the issue while you are gone.

Sometimes things change and you are no longer able to fulfill your military commitments. I've seen commands say, "tough shit, that's your problem." It's a two-way street.

She's not a single parent. She's married.. Thus the reason I think she took them along simply so she WOULD be discharged.

Well, the insantity over the legality of hemp just never stops, does it?

You are a casualty of the insane war on drugs, my friend.

As is, incidently, our entire nation.

Obviously had you been a drunkard our nation wouldn't have given a moment's pause regarding your qualifications to serve.

Our nation have been nuts about this subject my entire life. They have destroyed the lives of countless potentially productive citizens for nothing.

Perfectly qualified people are denied their citizens rights because of this ongoing witchhunt.

Welcome to the scapegoat class, amigo

CaféAuLait;1075027 said:

:clap2::clap2: Chalk one up for the good girl..

CaféAuLait;1075027 said:

Who died and left you king?

What? you don't think she has a right to an opinion?

Forum List

Back