Navy probes carrier officer's lewd onboard videos

>

Personally? I'm sad to see it happen.

I'm old school Navy, when Chief's initiations and Crossing the Line ceremonies were enough to scare the living shit out of you back then but when you came out on the other side you'd learned some valuable lessons about teamwork, perseverance, commitment, trust, etc., etc...

I watched the videos online and to tell the truth didn't see things that were that bad. Sure there was some profanity, sure there was some sexual innuendo, but overall I didn't see it as something worth embarrassing the Navy or ending the guys career over. I think maybe, MAYBE the worst thing that should have happened is a letter of reprimand, and that's it. It appears the man has a distinguished career culminating in being the Commanding Officer of one of the most powerful war fighting ships in the United States Navy, hell ever created.

Sometimes civilians just don't understand the pressures of days, weeks, months at sea. The constant grind. The terrible pain of being separated from those that you love. It's a price we choose to pay willingly to defend the freedoms of this greatest nation on Earth.

As the Executive Officer one of his primary job is to ensure that the entire crew functions as a well oiled machine. The Skipper gets to (mostly) focus on the pig picture operations. The XO focuses on the day-to-day functioning of every aspect of the ship. One of the jobs of the XO is to try to maintain good morale, people that have good morale just plan function better and are better able to complete the mission. That's what this man was doing, trying to bring a little humor to the crew. Give them a moment to stop, breath, laugh.

On the ship I was on, our leaders liked to call everyone up to the flight deck (if there were no flight ops of course) to hunt for the Green Flash. Just a way to try to make a pause in the day.

On the other hand, somethings not right here. An article I read in the Virginian-Pilot (the paper that released the videos) said that the Enterprise CO knew about it in 2007 and told the XO (Capt. Honors) to put an end to it.

That should have been the end to it, four years later the video is leaked to the media? Once it was in the MSM there wasn't much else for the Navy to do, but after this much time? As I said, somethings not right.

As a deck plate leader, if one of my guys screwed up - I pulled him in chewed his ass and that was the end of it unless the behavior continued after being told to knock it off.

>>>>

Last edited:
The officer has been dismissed from the Navy altogether according to late news. Can't remember the name of his replacement.

Captain Honros was not dismissed from the Navy, he was relieved of his Command. Two different things - although (assuming you are a civilian, no offense) it can be confusing because he was "fired" from his job. He's still in the Navy and will temporarily be reassigned pending final determination in the case.

His replacement is Captain Dee Mewbourne, who previously commanded the Aircraft Carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69).

>>>>

The incident(s) are four years old. Why wasn't he charged before DADT was repealed? Now it's payback time? Democrats got this one in just under the wire.

Maybe the Carrier should be renamed the "Love Boat". Pink would be a less aggressive color for it. Maybe we can get curtains that won't clash with pink, maybe we can replace all the big mean guns with Stereo Speakers and the Aircraft with Hot Air Balloons. There seems to be plenty of hot air around. Maybe the New Military can replace all the weaponry with surrender flags, knee pads, and sex toys, so Barry and his Klan will feel better about their sexual confusion, and lack of dignity and responsibility. Fuck You for over reacting.
btw...you sound like you are suffering from sexual confusion. :eusa_whistle:

:lol: Wanna bet? :eusa_whistle: I don't think it should have cost him his career Ravi. I don't condone much of what is changing with Our Military, DADT is the least of it. The future is looking more like Milo from Catch-22 to me, only Milo is being replaces by the new PC Term "State Capitalism". We are starting to look allot more like China. We are really getting good at the excuses too.

Maybe the Carrier should be renamed the "Love Boat". Pink would be a less aggressive color for it. Maybe we can get curtains that won't clash with pink, maybe we can replace all the big mean guns with Stereo Speakers and the Aircraft with Hot Air Balloons. There seems to be plenty of hot air around. Maybe the New Military can replace all the weaponry with surrender flags, knee pads, and sex toys, so Barry and his Klan will feel better about their sexual confusion, and lack of dignity and responsibility. Fuck You for over reacting.

:lol: Wanna bet? :eusa_whistle: I don't think it should have cost him his career Ravi. I don't condone much of what is changing with Our Military, DADT is the least of it. The future is looking more like Milo from Catch-22 to me, only Milo is being replaces by the new PC Term "State Capitalism". We are starting to look allot more like China. We are really getting good at the excuses too.
You aren't good at excuses. You are blaming others for this guy's stupidity. How *gasp* Republican of you.

Good for you Capt Obvious!

Its my attempt at humor.... I just forgot to have 2 chicks in a shower!

My point is.... we have a bunch of young guys (and gals :rolleyes: ) on a big boat who at times act their ages.
The DADT remark was to highlight the fact that there will be horseplay and someone is going to get butt-hurt everytime. Now you will have these "ferries" who will get the wittle feewing hurt b/c someone made an immature remark directed at them.... Oh boo hoo....

The video was just for fun, and now some poor guy will get hung out to dry and made an example out of.

I have a feeling there are going to be alot of dudes getting in trouble for stupid assinine things like this more often now.

Welcome to the brave new "PC world" :doubt:

Career Naval Officer loses his command because Seaman First Class Brucey Lovelace had his delicate feelings hurt, and bitched about it after the CINC signed a bill sympathizing with his fragility.

The Pussification of the USA continues.

The officer has been dismissed from the Navy altogether according to late news. Can't remember the name of his replacement.

I doesn't matter what the films were about or when they were made or whether there are more of them. The man was guilty of conduct unbecoming by an officer. So some 28 years of service shot to shit at this point.

There's no question about "guilt."

He was "guilty" 5 years ago of a very public display of conduct.

But we are equally "guilty" of having redefined of what is unbecomming.

Denigrating Queers will no longer be becomming, and we can all instead look forward to watching MSNBC proudly broadcast sailors dressed in pink tutus skipping along in formation during the next "Gay Pride" parade.

You aren't good at excuses. You are blaming others for this guy's stupidity. How *gasp* Republican of you.

I am holding him accountable, I just think the Punishment should fit the crime, Ravi. Put down your torch, Take off the pillow case. The Lynching is compounding the problem, not addressing it. I'm Independent Ravi. Conservative/Libertarian, Independent. Too many Progressive Totalitarian Statists, Wolves in sheep's clothing corrupting the RNC. Say no to State Capitalism Comrade. ;)

Captain Honros was not dismissed from the Navy, he was relieved of his Command. Two different things - although (assuming you are a civilian, no offense) it can be confusing because he was "fired" from his job. He's still in the Navy and will temporarily be reassigned pending final determination in the case.

His replacement is Captain Dee Mewbourne, who previously commanded the Aircraft Carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69).

>>>>

Thanks for the correction - yes, I'm civilian. It was the "fired" that led me to believe he was put out of the Navy altogether.

I am holding him accountable, I just think the Punishment should fit the crime, Ravi. Put down your torch, Take off the pillow case. The Lynching is compounding the problem, not addressing it. I'm Independent Ravi. Conservative/Libertarian, Independent. Too many Progressive Totalitarian Statists, Wolves in sheep's clothing corrupting the RNC. Say no to State Capitalism Comrade. ;)
:rolleyes: You can lie to yourself but your posts belie your claims.

:thup:

I have and it was bullshit!

Girls, IMO, dont need to be aboard carriers NOR submarines.

Sorry... that is just my opinion.

Your opinion is irrelevant.

Especially in light of the thousands of women serving honorably in all branches of service.

I never said they dont serve honorably.
Of course they do.... and it is soooooo big of you to point that out :doubt:

I said..... In MY opinion, girls shouldnt be on board Naval vessels, and my reason is simply because boys will be boys.

This incident proves it.... Yes, the commander should have known better, and YES the men under his command should have known better.... but boys will be boys.

I feel bad for all involved frankly.

"Boys will be boys" is not carte blanche to behave contrary to the expectations of an officer and a gentlemen. I don't think the guy should have lost his boat. However, put the blame where it belongs, on the person who did it.

Secondly, and not to bag on the Navy, but I understand these were done while deployed? What in the hell do you Navy boys and girls do out there in the ocean with your time? Our XO (of an infantry battalion) barely had time to call his wife. Let alone turn into a movie producer.

This literally has nothing to do with DADT.

My point is.... we have a bunch of young guys (and gals :rolleyes: ) on a big boat who at times act their ages.
The DADT remark was to highlight the fact that there will be horseplay and someone is going to get butt-hurt everytime. Now you will have these "ferries" who will get the wittle feewing hurt b/c someone made an immature remark directed at them.... Oh boo hoo....

The video was just for fun, and now some poor guy will get hung out to dry and made an example out of.

I have a feeling there are going to be alot of dudes getting in trouble for stupid assinine things like this more often now.

Career Naval Officer loses his command because Seaman First Class Brucey Lovelace had his delicate feelings hurt, and bitched about it after the CINC signed a bill sympathizing with his fragility.

Who did you serve with again?

Who did you serve with again?
He can't serve. He's afraid of gays.

pretty weird that he was given command years after these had aired.

i think he must have really pissed somebody off.

my neighbor had command of the abe lincoln, and he retired without getting his flag.

i know he pissed somebody off. :D

"Somebody?"

A Queer.

The videos, shown in 2006 and 2007 to thousands of sailors to teach shipboard safety, used coarse language and supposed humorous sexual references to gays and women. They were made public recently after being obtained by Norfolk's Virginian-Pilot newspaper. The newspaper did not explain how it got the videos and said it was unclear why the videos are resurfacing now.

December 22, 2010 Obama signs bill ending 'don't ask, don't tell' ban on gays in military.

January 4, 2011 The U.S. Navy has decided to remove the commander of the USS Enterprise aircraft carrier from his post following news reports that he had produced and starred in videos that denigrated gays and used profane language

Do I need to connect the dots for anyone else?

so only queers hold grudges?

damn, that's stupid.

Seriously. Since, by his own admission, the XO's videos were intended to offend "everyone" that means that a lot of people could have complained.

Ironically, if it had been taken care of in-house (as opposed to swept under the rug for four years) by the internal chain of command, it wouldn't be an issue right now. It might have kept Honor from getting a boat, but that was the end result anyways.

>

Personally? I'm sad to see it happen.

I'm old school Navy, when Chief's initiations and Crossing the Line ceremonies were enough to scare the living shit out of you back then but when you came out on the other side you'd learned some valuable lessons about teamwork, perseverance, commitment, trust, etc., etc...

I watched the videos online and to tell the truth didn't see things that were that bad. Sure there was some profanity, sure there was some sexual innuendo, but overall I didn't see it as something worth embarrassing the Navy or ending the guys career over. I think maybe, MAYBE the worst thing that should have happened is a letter of reprimand, and that's it. It appears the man has a distinguished career culminating in being the Commanding Officer of one of the most powerful war fighting ships in the United States Navy, hell ever created.

Sometimes civilians just don't understand the pressures of days, weeks, months at sea. The constant grind. The terrible pain of being separated from those that you love. It's a price we choose to pay willingly to defend the freedoms of this greatest nation on Earth.

As the Executive Officer one of his primary job is to ensure that the entire crew functions as a well oiled machine. The Skipper gets to (mostly) focus on the pig picture operations. The XO focuses on the day-to-day functioning of every aspect of the ship. One of the jobs of the XO is to try to maintain good morale, people that have good morale just plan function better and are better able to complete the mission. That's what this man was doing, trying to bring a little humor to the crew. Give them a moment to stop, breath, laugh.

On the ship I was on, our leaders liked to call everyone up to the flight deck (if there were no flight ops of course) to hunt for the Green Flash. Just a way to try to make a pause in the day.

On the other hand, somethings not right here. An article I read in the Virginian-Pilot (the paper that released the videos) said that the Enterprise CO knew about it in 2007 and told the XO (Capt. Honors) to put an end to it.

That should have been the end to it, four years later the video is leaked to the media? Once it was in the MSM there wasn't much else for the Navy to do, but after this much time? As I said, somethings not right.

As a deck plate leader, if one of my guys screwed up - I pulled him in chewed his ass and that was the end of it unless the behavior continued after being told to knock it off.

>>>>

Thanks for the insight.

I suspect Honors was relieved for the one cardinal sin of officership: "Embarrassment of (Insert Branch Here)." and not some sort of phantom conspiracy by the "liberals", or a "pussified service" or whatever the hell other bogeyman that some of the posters on here who haven't seen a day of uniformed service want to blame it on.

"Somebody?"

A Queer.

December 22, 2010 Obama signs bill ending 'don't ask, don't tell' ban on gays in military.

January 4, 2011 The U.S. Navy has decided to remove the commander of the USS Enterprise aircraft carrier from his post following news reports that he had produced and starred in videos that denigrated gays and used profane language

Do I need to connect the dots for anyone else?

so only queers hold grudges?

damn, that's stupid.

Seriously. Since, by his own admission, the XO's videos were intended to offend "everyone" that means that a lot of people could have complained.

Ironically, if it had been taken care of in-house (as opposed to swept under the rug for four years) by the internal chain of command, it wouldn't be an issue right now. It might have kept Honor from getting a boat, but that was the end result anyways.

IMO, this is an overreaction caused by the fiasco known as Tailhook. That one they DID sweep under the rug and it came back and bit them BIG TIME....someone decided, once they found out, that to repeat history would NOT be a good thing.

And trust me, CO's of carriers have been relieved over the silliest of things.....this is HIGH competition for flag rank and the smallest blemish at that level will torpedo your career. Once you hit Capt....it's ALL political.

IMO, this is an overreaction caused by the fiasco known as Tailhook. That one they DID sweep under the rug and it came back and bit them BIG TIME....someone decided, once they found out, that to repeat history would NOT be a good thing.

And trust me, CO's of carriers have been relieved over the silliest of things.....this is HIGH competition for flag rank and the smallest blemish at that level will torpedo your career. Once you hit Capt....it's ALL political.

I suspect you are right and as definitely trust you as I know nothing about the Navy.

It's pretty hard for a Brigade Commander (O-6 and what I consider to be an equivalent job) to be relieved in the Army, but it happens.

I agree it was stupid behavior for someone in power. He is paying the price for being stupid. I think he should have just been censored, first and instead, and then if this kind of role-modeling was repeated, reduced in power.

I agree it was stupid behavior for someone in power. He is paying the price for being stupid. I think he should have just been censored, first and instead, and then if this kind of role-modeling was repeated, reduced in power.

It would have been a totally different thing if someone else...the PAO, for example...had created those videos while he was XO. But he did it himself. By XO, he should have known better than to be the author of such.

Earth to Ravi... Earth To Ravi..... Lost Contact on voice...... Incoherence.... Mumbling something about Democrat Socialist World Takeover..... Then dead air...... Sounds like she confused the waste removal connector with the Oxygen Supply connector again. The visual ain't pretty.... is there anything we can do from here???....... yes she is knee deep in it, we can see from our visuals... Don't turn off the artificial gravity Ravi... if you can hear us... Stop Ravi!!! .... OMG!!! Ravi Don't!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFks9A9TCF0[/ame]

Get the time line straight, Samson. The tapes were made when he was the exec of the Enterprise during the second term of Bush.

pretty weird that he was given command years after these had aired.

i think he must have really pissed somebody off.

my neighbor had command of the abe lincoln, and he retired without getting his flag.

i know he pissed somebody off. :D

I think you are probably right. they had 4 years to straighten this out if they really wanted to.

What really went done is it was hot a few a few months back in 06, the brass I am sure saw the vid or had very exact knowledge of what was in it , especially since to other flag officers were on the ship at the time, said no biggie and lets move on. NOW its a big deal?....cui bono?

• Thanks
Reactions: del

Forum List

Back