Nautilus, etc.

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
There was a time when "Nautilus" weight training equipment was all the rage, but it has gone out of fashion now (sort of). The "brains" behind Nautilus was a guy named, Ellington Darden, who I think is still a very respected exercise guru but he is no longer associated with Nautilus (if Nautilus even exists any more).

As I remember it, a proper Nautilus workout put you through several stations covering the entire body, and you would do between 8 and 12 repetions at as high a weight as possible. Only one set, then you moved on to the next machine. Once you could do 12 repetitions at a certain weight, you would increase the weight by one increment in your next workout. (I wonder if the "Curves" womens' workout is set up the same way?)

The Nautilus machines incorporated cables and a cam that theoretically made it possible to exert maximum effort at all stages of the motion of the exercise. The theory was that you had different specific strength capacities at the different points along the range of motion, and using free weights limited you to the most you could lift at your weakest point in the range of motion. With the Nautilus machine, you maximized your weight at all points along the motion. At least that was the theory.

Although it only took 15 minutes or so, the Nautilus workout exhausted all of your muscles, and constituted, in theory, a good, whole-body workout.

Like I say, Nautilus has gone out of fashion these days, but I wonder if it really was a good workout - better than free weights? Can any machine be better than free weights?

Any thoughts? Anyone have a good experience with machines in general?

There are numerous muscle groups, and the idea is to isolate those muscles in order to "rip" the tissue through focused movements. I suppose the Nautilus routine hit upon each muscle group. The same can be done with free weights but you need to know what you're doing.

It's important to alternate this kind of training every other day in order to give the muscle tissue a rest and time to "repair" itself. On the off days, do your cardio works like treadmill or stair climber. Of just go for a run, hon.

At my age (64) there is no such thing as a micro-tear. And my body sees to it that I don't work out every day. Can't.

I just took a look at the local craigslist and there is a facility selling a complete set of commercial Nautilus equipment (18 stations, "Next Generation Nautilus") for $8,000. Claim they paid $75,000.

Nautilus still exists, and has bought out several other similar companies. They are publicly traded.

There are numerous muscle groups, and the idea is to isolate those muscles in order to "rip" the tissue through focused movements. I suppose the Nautilus routine hit upon each muscle group. The same can be done with free weights but you need to know what you're doing.

It's important to alternate this kind of training every other day in order to give the muscle tissue a rest and time to "repair" itself. On the off days, do your cardio works like treadmill or stair climber. Of just go for a run, hon.
That's at the start. As you approach your genetic limits rest periods approach a week and impact cardio becomes a very bad idea. It is the workout people love to hate despite the results.

That's at the start. As you approach your genetic limits rest periods approach a week and impact cardio becomes a very bad idea. It is the workout people love to hate despite the results.

Din't know dat. Thanks.

Dear "william the wie" (related to Michele Wie?), pray tell...

...what are the "results" of impact cardio (by which I assume you mean running)?

Joint injury and the development of more slow twitch muscle fiber thus reducing the rate of hypertrophy of muscles during resistance training.

Joint injury and the development of more slow twitch muscle fiber thus reducing the rate of hypertrophy of muscles during resistance training.[/QUOTE]

No doubt about joint injury but surprise about the rest,would like more info do you have a link Willie?

Like I say, Nautilus has gone out of fashion these days, but I wonder if it really was a good workout - better than free weights? Can any machine be better than free weights?

Any thoughts? Anyone have a good experience with machines in general?[/QUOTE]

Machines will isolate the muscle more, good for definition or cut, like doing lighter weight higher reps with free weights.
With free weights using heavier weights and lower reps can result in more strength and size,because more muscle fiber gets involved,also the movement is not only push and pull but also balancing the weight.

There was a time when "Nautilus" weight training equipment was all the rage, but it has gone out of fashion now (sort of). The "brains" behind Nautilus was a guy named, Ellington Darden, who I think is still a very respected exercise guru but he is no longer associated with Nautilus (if Nautilus even exists any more).

As I remember it, a proper Nautilus workout put you through several stations covering the entire body, and you would do between 8 and 12 repetions at as high a weight as possible. Only one set, then you moved on to the next machine. Once you could do 12 repetitions at a certain weight, you would increase the weight by one increment in your next workout. (I wonder if the "Curves" womens' workout is set up the same way?)

The Nautilus machines incorporated cables and a cam that theoretically made it possible to exert maximum effort at all stages of the motion of the exercise. The theory was that you had different specific strength capacities at the different points along the range of motion, and using free weights limited you to the most you could lift at your weakest point in the range of motion. With the Nautilus machine, you maximized your weight at all points along the motion. At least that was the theory.

Although it only took 15 minutes or so, the Nautilus workout exhausted all of your muscles, and constituted, in theory, a good, whole-body workout.

While machines are convenient and easy to work with, free weights give you a better workout. The reason free weights are better is that when you work with free weights, you must not only lift the weight, but you must also balance it. It leads to better coordination. When you lift on a machine, the weights can't throw you off because you lost balance, because they are held in place by the machine.

Now, I work more with machines than free weights, but I am only looking to tone and keep my muscle mass where it is, not build muscle mass. I'm a runner, so weight training is secondary to me. I do like the machines because I can move through them at a quick pace, keeping my heart rate up.

You should give yourself a couple of days between lifting for each muscle group that you work out. I lift every third day.

Machines will isolate the muscle more, good for definition or cut, like doing lighter weight higher reps with free weights.
With free weights using heavier weights and lower reps can result in more strength and size,because more muscle fiber gets involved,also the movement is not only push and pull but also balancing the weight.[/QUOTE]

Machines serve their purpose but free weights are superior, and this is not even arguable. The key is balance which is needed with free weights but not with machines.

I read the book 30 or so years ago that he wrote, which outlined his principles for the design of his equipment, based on US Army strength studies. I loved working out with Nautilus equipment, and did so wherever I could find it over a period of 20 years. I regret that these days the equipment is hard to find. I still swear by them as one of the best workouts you can have if you are going to use equipment.

Forum List

Back