Fox Must Face Smartmatic’s $2.7 Billion Defamation Suit

Zincwarrior

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2021
Round Two of the Antidefamation suits. This one might kill Fox completely. Everything in the earlier settlement is admissible.

(Bloomberg) -- Fox Corp. was ordered to face a $2.7 billion defamation lawsuit by Smartmatic Corp., one of two voting technology companies falsely accused on Fox News of rigging the 2020 US presidential election against Donald Trump.

The decision Wednesday by a New York judge is the latest setback for Fox after the media giant agreed in April to pay $788 million to settle a similar suit by Dominion Voting Systems Inc., the other company targeted by the conspiracy theory. Fox continued airing the allegations even after they were widely debunked.

Justice David B. Cohen in Manhattan denied Fox Corp.’s motion to dismiss the suit after finding Smartmatic had sufficiently laid out claims that executives at the parent company — including Rupert Murdoch and his son Lachlan Murdoch — were involved in directing the election coverage by its subsidiary. Fox News Network LLC, along with several of its current and former on-air personalties, are also named in the suit and previously lost their attempts to dismiss the case.

“In essence, plaintiffs allege that no programming, messaging, or employment decisions were made at News without Corp.’s knowledge, approval, and direction, thus rendering News wholly dominated by Corp.,” Cohen said in the ruling.

The decision sets up a possible trial on Smartmatic’s claims next year. Fox and Fox News have both argued their coverage is protected by the First Amendment right to free speech because they were covering important claims being made at the time by a sitting president and his lawyers.

They'll settle, in order to reassure the rest of the drive-by dinosaur media that they're still the controlled opposition jobbers that they've always been,
------------------------------------------------------------
That's an interesting observation. Settled for "reassurance"? OK, let's go with that.

And, if that is true, as poster Oddball asserts....well, what impact will that have on the 'defense'-calculus of Jim Hoft and his Gateway Pundit in the billion dollar lawsuit Dominion brought against them?

Or for that matter....the $1.36 billion suit agains PillowBoy Mike Lindell?
Or, for that matter....the $1.3B against Rudy-the Shirttucker -Giuliani?
Or, the $1.3B against Sidney the Kraken Powell?

ps....OAN has already settle, quietly and secretively, with Dominion.

In short, Fox's settlement kinda sorta sends a signal to the other litigants. No?
The defendants can see that real risk exists.
The plaintiff is encouraged that they have a valid message to deliver and a grievance to be addressed.
Plus, no small matter, Dominion now has the 'cash' to pursue aggressively and enduringly their argument in courts of law.

In other words, Fox's settlement will fund the lawsuits against their competition and other plaintiffs.

Who knew that that is how it would work out?

ps....and the hole goes deeper. Smartamatic's lawsuits against all those blokes motors along too.

ps2....can America's defamation body of law act as a corrective, a cure, to the irresponsible untruths of blind partisan accusations?

Last edited:
Round Two of the Antidefamation suits. This one might kill Fox completely. Everything in the earlier settlement is admissible.

The best part about being FOX is, they can afford it. They have enormous sums of money in the bank, plus insurance, plus itll get settled for much less.

You might be shocked to hear this, but assets and stocks aside, FOX has almost 4 billion in cash in their bank account!!! They net over a billion annually. FOX isnt CNN. FOX is going to be just fine.

That's an interesting observation. Settled for "reassurance"? OK, let's go with that.

And, if that is true, as poster Oddball asserts....well, what impact will that have on the 'defense'-calculus of Jim Hoft and his Gateway Pundit in the billion dollar lawsuit Dominion brought against them?

In short, Fox's settlement kinda sorta sends a signal to the other litigants. No?
The plaintiff is encouraged that they have a valid message to deliver and a grievance to be addressed.
Plus, no small matter, Dominion now has the 'cash' to pursue aggressively and enduringly their argument in courts of law.

In other words, Fox's settlement will fund the lawsuits against their competition and other plaintiffs.

ps....and the hole goes deeper. Smartamatic's lawsuits against all those blokes motors along too.

ps2....can America's defamation body of law act as a corrective, a cure, to the irresponsible untruths of blind partisan accusations?
Got-dammit are you fucking boring, s0n.

You might be shocked to hear this, but assets and stocks aside, FOX has almost 4 billion in their bank account!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, $4 billion is a lot.
But $787 million ain't chump change either. In fact, it is nearly 20% of that bank account. And too, the interest meter ain't stalled. It meters along just fine, thank you very much.

To wit:

"Generally, any unpaid principal balance collects interest at 10%.......This general rule applies to any judgment against a business or government agency, or when the debtor owes $200,000 or more. It also applies to any judgment where the money is owed due to a tort or fraud, or judgments for unpaid wages or other money due to an employee."

ps......10% = $78,700,000 per year. That ain't chump change either. IMHO

"Got-dammit are you fucking boring,"

Well, that may be a relevant observation for some audiences. I get it.

But you see, good poster Oddball, in my long career I needed to explain thoroughly to clients and staff the details and nuances of matters at hand. And, they needed to have sufficient horsepower between their ears to be effective. Fortunately, they did. (Most of 'em).

Accordingly, I became accustomed to communicating with folks who readily grasp complexities, and who possessed competent attention spans.

I realize now, I need to re-calibrate that expectation for some chatrooms and with some posters.

No disrespect intended.

But you see, good poster Oddball, in my long career I needed to explain thoroughly to clients and staff the details and nuances of matters at hand. And, they needed to have sufficient horsepower between their ears to be effective. Fortunately, they did. (Most of 'em).

Accordingly, I became accustomed to communicating with folks who readily grasp complexities, and who possessed competent attention spans.

I realize now, I need to re-calibrate that expectation for some chatrooms and with some posters.

No disrespect intended.
Here's something to wrap your intellectually arrested braiding around: different people do different things for different reasons.

Now get out of my face, you fucking bore.

Don't fret, you'll always have Gateway Pundit and Breitbart.
No matter what happens, there are half the population that does not believe in the system anymore. We exist in it. we have comforts in it. Trust is reduced in a huge way though. In inner city areas it is the same for their purposes, correct? And it is hurting them for they have had the beliefs of no trust for too long. For the Deplorables and it encompasses many cultures, it is a shorter time of low belief in the system.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, $4 billion is a lot.
But $787 million ain't chump change either. In fact, it is nearly 20% of that bank account. And too, the interest meter ain't stalled. It meters along just fine, thank you very much.

To wit:

"Generally, any unpaid principal balance collects interest at 10%.......This general rule applies to any judgment against a business or government agency, or when the debtor owes $200,000 or more. It also applies to any judgment where the money is owed due to a tort or fraud, or judgments for unpaid wages or other money due to an employee."

ps......10% = $78,700,000 per year. That ain't chump change either. IMHO
No, its not chump change. It will hurt, but it wont cripple.

No disrespect intended.
what have you done all these years?

did you suck up the whole russia hoax

Forum List

Back