Napoleon Bonaparte

I agree; he should have declined to offer battle to the British and focused on the Prussians.
That's a luxury he did not have, as the Austrians and Russians were coming to battle also..
that was the luxurious point; to give battle to the Austrians/Prussians and Russians, not the British.
He had to strike quick or it would have been another Leipzig..
Giving battle to the Austrians/Prussians and Russians, is an offensive strategy.
Yes, but you can never let the enemy get behind you, which is what was occurring..
Giving battle means taking it to the enemy, not letting the enemy outflank you.

Should Lancers have also been good at pole vaulting?
No. But dragoons distressed damsels.
is that why lancers, preferred to poke around?
Charge of the Light-in-the Loafers Brigade

Yes. And hussars were known for throwing hussy fits.
I saw no lancers in (ready to give) battle order, in any of the scenes where infantry squares were formed, Only regular cavalry with sabers.

Lancers were used to drive off British heavy cavalry.

Would Wellington have attacked, if Napoleon, knowing he could not implement a timely attack on Wellington's defensive position, focused instead on the Prussians, then returned to Wellington when the weather was more favorable?
While modern military theory favors blitzkrieg in the attack, at the time of Napoleon, Wellington, and Blucher it was the defense that was stronger.

However Napoleon normally outmaneuvered his opponents so that it seemed like Napoleon on offense was always stronger than anyone else on defense.

At Waterloo however Wellington proved that the defense is stronger than the offense between opponents of about equal strength.

Blucher showing up at Waterloo to outflank Napoleon and reinforce Wellington tipped the battle in Wellington's favor and caused the French to retreat in chaos. The French troops saw it coming -- they were about to be outflanked and slaughtered by the Prussians.
I agree with you but i could say that Louis X1V was brillant as well but not as famous military but a fine strategy in the war that he did in Europe. We can say that he liked wars

2b_25.jpg

One of my favorite military figures, but not a favorite politician. I've spent many enjoyable hours, sometimes days, gaming the battle of Borodino and Waterloo, especially the SPI version Wellington's Victory. I still have my collection of 15mm miniatures stashed away in a big locker in the store room.
One of my friend as a lot of military figurines of Napoléon but i give you a link of one my member " Vive l'Empereur"

Mes dioramas

Should have developed flying artillery, as the U.S. used against Mexico, and Frederich the Great had started to develop, among others.

How would that have helped at Waterloo?
Effective against the squares of the period. Everything changed rapidly soon after, the American Civil War being the first modern war.
True. And then it all changed again during WW1. And yet again in WW2. And yet again in Korea.

Nobody has fought a pitched war since Korea.

And Korea showed that Chinese infantry is unstoppable. Like fire ants swarming out of their nests.

One of my favorite military figures, but not a favorite politician. I've spent many enjoyable hours, sometimes days, gaming the battle of Borodino and Waterloo, especially the SPI version Wellington's Victory. I still have my collection of 15mm miniatures stashed away in a big locker in the store room.
One of my friend as a lot of military figurines of Napoléon but i give you a link of one my member " Vive l'Empereur"

Mes dioramas

Those are a lot larger than mine. Nice dioramas and painting.

Mine are on stands set up for sand tables, rather big ones, which I don't have any more. They will work with some of the grand tactical scale hex based maps, but usually the scaling is all wrong.

Don't know what to do with them, so I keep them. Even my kids and grandkids don't want them, they prefer puter games.

Last edited:

Mes dioramas

Those are a lot larger than mine. Nice dioramas and painting.

Mine are on stands set up for sand tables, rather big ones, which I don't have any more. They will work with some of the grand tactical scale hex based maps, but usually the scaling is all wrong.

Don't know what to do with them, so I keep them. Even my kids and grandkids don't want them, they prefer puter games.

Your figurines can have value? This figurines as an example of a price is for sale at ebay for 9.99 £ some figurine have more value then other.

$(KGrHqZ,!lgFGjrhEH34BRphK26WCw~~60_57.JPG

Figurine Maréchal d'Empire Hachette Maréchal Ney 1769-1815 Officier Napoléon

This one : 15.00£

$_57.JPG

COLLECTION MARECHAUX NAPOLEON - MARECHAL NEY 1769-1815

7478787-489f3b3.jpg

Awarded. A Napoleon hat was bought 1,884,000 euros by one
South Korean collector, Sunday, November 16 2014, at an auction of Napoleon souvenirs in Fontainebleau near Paris.

This hat, one of the nineteen authenticated bicornes of the Emperor still existing in the world, was part of the collection of the Princely Palace of Monaco, of which Prince Albert decided to disperse a thousand pieces.

The sale was feverishly expected both in France and abroad by the many enthusiasts of the former emperor, probably the most famous French historical figure in the world.

Was giving battle at Waterloo a mistake on Napoleon's part?

It was the way he went about it; he let Wellington choose the site to great advantage, lost hours with a showboating display and started his assaults way too late in the day, went head on right up to the strongest points in their line of battle instead of maneuvering and finessing on his left flank, and wasting the best of his troops unnecessarily, and allowed two Allied armies to unite and reinforce at one battlefield instead of keeping them divided. Arrogance and overconfidence is the greatest enemy for commanders like Napoleon, and still is for any army. Two or three hours earlier and he wouldn't have had the threat on his right flank at the least.

Last edited:
Your figurines can have value?

Probably not mine, as they were cast for gaming, to be mounted on stands, not a variety of poses, just soldiers in battle lines and the like, all in a given lot just alike. The artillery and cavalry could pass, I guess, but no, they wouldn't be valuable, even painstakingly painted with such detail as those in your pictures. Mine are also 'old school', made out of lead, which I don't think is even legal any more.

Forum List

Back