Name Your City

I am travelling quite a bit, but home is now Stockholm when not here and there, and definitely not in the states. What is your favorite city in Europe? Expats, it would really be good to hear from you.

I like it because you can walk everywhere. You actually can live downtown, as does most of the population in this country. Crime is low, and you can walk the streets at 3 in the morning with no problem at all. 60 museums within a 30 minute walking distance. Everyone speaks English better than most Americans we know. Ha! You don't need a car. Cycle and walk paths from and to everywhere along with exercise stations. Almost every main street in each major neighborhood has a local live play theater. Restaurants galore. Water, did I mention water. You are surrounded by it. Stockholm is the Venice of the north. Forget what Hannity says, taxes are lower than in the states. Now if I was young again, I might talk about the women...but I won't. *wink*

What is your base of operation while in Europe, or for you natives, your favorite city in Europe? Readers want to know!

I liked living and working in Munich for most of the reasons you cite. I would go back to visit, maybe, but I will never live in another large city.
Now, I much prefer my location in Willow, AK.
Willow, Alaska (AK 99688) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news

I am travelling quite a bit, but home is now Stockholm when not here and there, and definitely not in the states. What is your favorite city in Europe? Expats, it would really be good to hear from you.

I like it because you can walk everywhere. You actually can live downtown, as does most of the population in this country. Crime is low, and you can walk the streets at 3 in the morning with no problem at all. 60 museums within a 30 minute walking distance. Everyone speaks English better than most Americans we know. Ha! You don't need a car. Cycle and walk paths from and to everywhere along with exercise stations. Almost every main street in each major neighborhood has a local live play theater. Restaurants galore. Water, did I mention water. You are surrounded by it. Stockholm is the Venice of the north. Forget what Hannity says, taxes are lower than in the states. Now if I was young again, I might talk about the women...but I won't. *wink*

What is your base of operation while in Europe, or for you natives, your favorite city in Europe? Readers want to know!

Sounds very nice, but I couldn't tolerate the weather. I've lived in cold places and in warm sunny places and I know now I'll only be happy in a warm sunny place. Currently I have my sights set on retiring to a medium size town in Southern France, a place where I've spent some time already. I like the atmosphere. The people are friendly. It isn't wholely spoiled by tourism. Lots of other reasons, and I won't say the name as most international tourists don't know about it, and that's the way I want it to stay. :)

I won't say the name as most international tourists don't know about it, and that's the way I want it to stay. :)

:lol:

So, you think that if you so much as mention the name here the place will be overrun with foreign tourists? You may be overestimating the reach of this one thread.

I also have a special Greek island I won't tell anyone about. I've traveled enough to know that finding a place that isn't overrun with tourists, especially international ones, those who are not natives to that region, is precious. Taking no chances at all of spoiling that. Whatever you think about it, don't fking care. You obviously have no special places or you would know where I'm coming from.

You obviously have no special places or you would know where I'm coming from.

I "obviously" know what a map is, and have no silly illusions of personal ownership regarding inhabited settlements around the world.

Once again, if you had found places that are not well known and are rather glorious, you would not want to share them with the whole world. You have no idea where I am coming from. Too bad for you.

Once again, if you had found places that are not well known and are rather glorious, you would not want to share them with the whole world. You have no idea where I am coming from.

Where you are "coming from" is entirely transparent, and it's just silly and presumptuous. You have absolutely 0% 'ownership' of these "places," and your playing Secret Squirrel on this one thread on this one site will have absolutely 0% effect on the world knowing about these places and traveling there if some choose.

These "places" are not yours to share or hide. Get over yourself.

Once again, if you had found places that are not well known and are rather glorious, you would not want to share them with the whole world. You have no idea where I am coming from.

Where you are "coming from" is entirely transparent, and it's just silly and presumptuous. You have absolutely 0% 'ownership' of these "places," and your playing Secret Squirrel on this one thread on this one site will have absolutely 0% effect on the world knowing about these places and traveling there if some choose.

You are a troll and an asshole. :cuckoo: And worthy of only one thing: ignore.

You are a troll and an asshole. :cuckoo: And worthy of only one thing: ignore.

For pointing out your silly, juvenile attitude? Remember when I told you to get over yourself? This is why.

Look at the title of this thread. It says "NAME your city" not 'pretend you can hide a city which is not yours.'

Easy one.
York is the finest city in the world.

An absolute must for any traveller.

Look at the title of this thread. It says "NAME your city" not 'pretend you can hide a city which is not yours.'

I have lived/travelled in many cities/countries; North, South, East and West of the USA, including Europe and The Virgin Islands.

Difficult to 'name my city' since many places I have roamed are not really cities and each place I have been is unique.

Places I have loved is another story which I'll expound on later.

:eusa_angel:

Last edited:

Sounds very nice, but I couldn't tolerate the weather. I've lived in cold places and in warm sunny places and I know now I'll only be happy in a warm sunny place. Currently I have my sights set on retiring to a medium size town in Southern France, a place where I've spent some time already. I like the atmosphere. The people are friendly. It isn't wholely spoiled by tourism. Lots of other reasons, and I won't say the name as most international tourists don't know about it, and that's the way I want it to stay. :)

I can understand that. Looking back, now that I am in Shanghai working, were I to return to Europe one day, I wouldn't mind living in the large city of Burgos, Spain along the Camino de Santiago de Compestela pilgrimage route. Or, to go smaller, in Najera, along the same path. Northern Spain is beautiful. Goodness, in the end, there are so many places, and only one life. What is one to do?

Belgrade Serbia, $garden & BBQ 312.jpg

Stockholm sound very nice. Someday I'll make it up there. But I couldn't live there because of the weather, must be in a sunny, warm location.

I like London. If I was to live over there for any reason, I think I would enjoy living in London. I don't find the food in the UK to be the best I've ever eaten but other than that I like everything else about the UK. I've been to many other places in Europe and found something to like about the other cities I've been to over there but London stands out for me.

Forum List

Back