Name Your City

Nicosia Cyprus, I spent a week there in the Military and I fell in love with the Island, the food, the women, I would not mind retiring there if I could but I know it would cost me.

Cost you what...compared to your dream?

Cost me big bucks my friend lol, the cost of living is high there and so is the currency.

Barkley's of England is partner with Bank of America. You keep your money in the states bank, and use your card without extra charges for cash in Cyprus. Do a house share...people there want cash. You get the joy of living in a nice place and just exchange hard currency which they want, although you might have to fight off the advances of older ladies. You know why...Ditch the car payment, which saves you money...just get a moped or scooter. Its sunny there! Go to school for a month and with a school like Oxford Seminars and get your teach English as Foreign Language certification. They will even help you with the resume and line you up with jobs. Lastly, have your SSN money planned for direct deposit to Bank of America in the states, then draw on it richly in Cyprus. But for you I am sure that is a way away. You seem pretty young...but forgive me if I have that wrong. I have some other ideas, but that should suffice for now. Just things I have learned from my own experience and other expats abroad. Oh, and take with you a passion. You're American...you're exotic in that extreme..and if you have a little business sense...selling even very much wanted American Major League baseball caps brings in a bundle. Live your dream. Be afraid...and love it!

Cost you what...compared to your dream?

Cost me big bucks my friend lol, the cost of living is high there and so is the currency.

Barkley's of England is partner with Bank of America. You keep your money in the states bank, and use your card without extra charges for cash in Cyprus. Do a house share...people there want cash. You get the joy of living in a nice place and just exchange hard currency which they want, although you might have to fight off the advances of older ladies. You know why...Ditch the car payment, which saves you money...just get a moped or scooter. Its sunny there! Go to school for a month and with a school like Oxford Seminars and get your teach English as Foreign Language certification. They will even help you with the resume and line you up with jobs. Lastly, have your SSN money planned for direct deposit to Bank of America in the states, then draw on it richly in Cyprus. But for you I am sure that is a way away. You seem pretty young...but forgive me if I have that wrong. I have some other ideas, but that should suffice for now. Just things I have learned from my own experience and other expats abroad. Oh, and take with you a passion. You're American...you're exotic in that extreme..and if you have a little business sense...selling even very much wanted American Major League baseball caps brings in a bundle. Live your dream. Be afraid...and love it!

Oh yeah I am pretty young I am only 32 now, got a ways until retirement.

I've heard Stockholm is wonderful, but it seems ridiculously expensive.

I've heard that if you go there they don't let you leave. At first you are frightened by this, but eventually you start to sympathize with the place, and some even fall in love. Weird.

I am travelling quite a bit, but home is now Stockholm when not here and there, and definitely not in the states. What is your favorite city in Europe? Expats, it would really be good to hear from you.

I like it because you can walk everywhere. You actually can live downtown, as does most of the population in this country. Crime is low, and you can walk the streets at 3 in the morning with no problem at all. 60 museums within a 30 minute walking distance. Everyone speaks English better than most Americans we know. Ha! You don't need a car. Cycle and walk paths from and to everywhere along with exercise stations. Almost every main street in each major neighborhood has a local live play theater. Restaurants galore. Water, did I mention water. You are surrounded by it. Stockholm is the Venice of the north. Forget what Hannity says, taxes are lower than in the states. Now if I was young again, I might talk about the women...but I won't. *wink*

What is your base of operation while in Europe, or for you natives, your favorite city in Europe? Readers want to know!

I was in Stockholm a few years ago. I thought it was a great city. We were having a meeting downtown in a three story complex. The windows were open (it was late May), and right across the street, there was a park where we could hear families playing and dogs barking. It certainly was more pleasant than meeting in the enclosed towers of New York.

My favourite cities in Europe are

Edinburgh
Paris
Rome
Dubrovnik

But the European city that will always have my heart is London.

I am travelling quite a bit, but home is now Stockholm when not here and there, and definitely not in the states. What is your favorite city in Europe? Expats, it would really be good to hear from you.

I like it because you can walk everywhere. You actually can live downtown, as does most of the population in this country. Crime is low, and you can walk the streets at 3 in the morning with no problem at all. 60 museums within a 30 minute walking distance. Everyone speaks English better than most Americans we know. Ha! You don't need a car. Cycle and walk paths from and to everywhere along with exercise stations. Almost every main street in each major neighborhood has a local live play theater. Restaurants galore. Water, did I mention water. You are surrounded by it. Stockholm is the Venice of the north. Forget what Hannity says, taxes are lower than in the states. Now if I was young again, I might talk about the women...but I won't. *wink*

What is your base of operation while in Europe, or for you natives, your favorite city in Europe? Readers want to know!

I was in Stockholm a few years ago. I thought it was a great city. We were having a meeting downtown in a three story complex. The windows were open (it was late May), and right across the street, there was a park where we could hear families playing and dogs barking. It certainly was more pleasant than meeting in the enclosed towers of New York.

Edinburgh
Paris
Rome
Dubrovnik

I don't live in a city and haven't for most of my life. I don't want to live in a city but yes, I love Paris, Brussels and London. We're going back to France for two or three weeks later this year and really looking forward to it.

We plan to spend a few days in Paris and then head to the south of France. We'll take an apartment in Bergerac commune to tour the art caves and a wine tour, then north to Brussels to meet up with friends and then,

[MENTION=4791]hjmick[/MENTION]

going to Bruges. I've never been there before.

[MENTION=4791]hjmick[/MENTION], any thoughts for me?

Edinburgh
Paris
Rome
Dubrovnik

I don't live in a city and haven't for most of my life. I don't want to live in a city but yes, I love Paris, Brussels and London. We're going back to France for two or three weeks later this year and really looking forward to it.

We plan to spend a few days in Paris and then head to the south of France. We'll take an apartment in Bergerac commune to tour the art caves and a wine tour, then north to Brussels to meet up with friends and then,

Bruges is beautiful.

Belgium is under-rated. Great beer. Great chocolate. Great food.

Nay, outstanding beer.

oh… and of the places i've visited… i love paris… .everything about it.

istanbul, barcelona and london, tel aviv and athens are pretty wonderful, too.

I've never heard "Athens" and "wonderful" in a sentence before. Unless it was "It was wonderful to get out of Athens!"

I love the Greek islands.

I've never heard "Athens" and "wonderful" in a sentence before. Unless it was "It was wonderful to get out of Athens!"

I love the Greek islands.

i wasn't there long enough to not like it. :)

and spent one of my birthdays looking at the parthenon from the restaurant on the top of the grande bretagne. athens was good to me. lol

Edinburgh
Paris
Rome
Dubrovnik

Bruges is beautiful.

Belgium is under-rated. Great beer. Great chocolate. Great food.

Nay, outstanding beer.

Yes, loved it all and more. That's where I got my humongous ear infection and couldn't fly. We had no choice but to stay almost a week longer than we had planned. Once the meds took effect, I felt fine so we ate and drank and enjoyed our extra week.

I'm looking forward to going back.

The City of Lights.

I was skeptical the first time. Its just a city, I thought. What can be so special about it, I thought.

It is special though. And the people were all wonderful.

Okay, there was this one waiter but even he kinda came around.

The City of Lights.

I was skeptical the first time. Its just a city, I thought. What can be so special about it, I thought.

It is special though. And the people were all wonderful.

Okay, there was this one waiter but even he kinda came around.

i had wanted to see paris since i was little. just always had an affinity for it. we got there via train from london… got to the hotel across the street from the tuilleries and down the block from the louvre… i was overwhelmed. and the people were so nice to us i was shocked.

Forum List

Back