Name Your City

I am travelling quite a bit, but home is now Stockholm when not here and there, and definitely not in the states. What is your favorite city in Europe? Expats, it would really be good to hear from you.

I like it because you can walk everywhere. You actually can live downtown, as does most of the population in this country. Crime is low, and you can walk the streets at 3 in the morning with no problem at all. 60 museums within a 30 minute walking distance. Everyone speaks English better than most Americans we know. Ha! You don't need a car. Cycle and walk paths from and to everywhere along with exercise stations. Almost every main street in each major neighborhood has a local live play theater. Restaurants galore. Water, did I mention water. You are surrounded by it. Stockholm is the Venice of the north. Forget what Hannity says, taxes are lower than in the states. Now if I was young again, I might talk about the women...but I won't. *wink*

What is your base of operation while in Europe, or for you natives, your favorite city in Europe? Readers want to know!

Don't believe everything he says! I live near Uppsala Sweden and we provincials know that Stockholmers are stuck-up, arrogant and boastful. A real theatre in every street? No way. Walk the streets at three in the morning? Well yes - if you avoid the high crime immigrant areas. Restaurants? Stockholm does not begin to compare with, say New York. With some reluctance I will however admit that Stockholm is very beautiful.

Having acquired Swedish nationality I am an ex-expat and know whereof I speak.

My favourite European city? Two less obvious choices: Valetta Malta and Reykjavik Iceland.

Last edited:
oh… and of the places i've visited… i love paris… .everything about it.

istanbul, barcelona and london, tel aviv and athens are pretty wonderful, too.

The City of Lights.

I was skeptical the first time. Its just a city, I thought. What can be so special about it, I thought.

It is special though. And the people were all wonderful.

Okay, there was this one waiter but even he kinda came around.

i had wanted to see paris since i was little. just always had an affinity for it. we got there via train from london… got to the hotel across the street from the tuilleries and down the block from the louvre… i was overwhelmed. and the people were so nice to us i was shocked.

I hope the nice Parisians mentioned that I was born there, in the suburb of Levallois-Peret. Lived there until I was four when the Wehrmacht chased me out. Missed me by three days. (I still don't quite understand what the Germans had against me. Just a short time later the Luftwaffe was dropping bombs at me in London).

I am travelling quite a bit, but home is now Stockholm when not here and there, and definitely not in the states. What is your favorite city in Europe? Expats, it would really be good to hear from you.

I like it because you can walk everywhere. You actually can live downtown, as does most of the population in this country. Crime is low, and you can walk the streets at 3 in the morning with no problem at all. 60 museums within a 30 minute walking distance. Everyone speaks English better than most Americans we know. Ha! You don't need a car. Cycle and walk paths from and to everywhere along with exercise stations. Almost every main street in each major neighborhood has a local live play theater. Restaurants galore. Water, did I mention water. You are surrounded by it. Stockholm is the Venice of the north. Forget what Hannity says, taxes are lower than in the states. Now if I was young again, I might talk about the women...but I won't. *wink*

What is your base of operation while in Europe, or for you natives, your favorite city in Europe? Readers want to know!

I was in Stockholm a few years ago. I thought it was a great city. We were having a meeting downtown in a three story complex. The windows were open (it was late May), and right across the street, there was a park where we could hear families playing and dogs barking. It certainly was more pleasant than meeting in the enclosed towers of New York.

My favourite cities in Europe are

Edinburgh
Paris
Rome
Dubrovnik

But the European city that will always have my heart is London.

I don't live in a city and haven't for most of my life. I don't want to live in a city but yes, I love Paris, Brussels and London. We're going back to France for two or three weeks later this year and really looking forward to it.

We plan to spend a few days in Paris and then head to the south of France. We'll take an apartment in Bergerac commune to tour the art caves and a wine tour, then north to Brussels to meet up with friends and then,

[MENTION=4791]hjmick[/MENTION]

going to Bruges. I've never been there before.

[MENTION=4791]hjmick[/MENTION], any thoughts for me?

Thoughts... Hmmm... Everything... Enjoy yourself. Truth is, you can't go wrong there. Well, maybe you can and we just got lucky...

oh… and of the places i've visited… i love paris… .everything about it.

istanbul, barcelona and london, tel aviv and athens are pretty wonderful, too.

The City of Lights.

I was skeptical the first time. Its just a city, I thought. What can be so special about it, I thought.

i had wanted to see paris since i was little. just always had an affinity for it. we got there via train from london… got to the hotel across the street from the tuilleries and down the block from the louvre… i was overwhelmed. and the people were so nice to us i was shocked.

The French as rude is over-blown. They're no different than most people. However, they are a more reserved and conservative society. In America, people will just start talking to someone if they want something. That's sometimes considered rude by the French. So if you say something like "Excusez-moi monsieur, je ne parle pas français. Parlez-vous anglais?" most French will respond politely and helpfully.

The City of Lights.

The French as rude is over-blown. They're no different than most people. However, they are a more reserved and conservative society. In America, people will just start talking to someone if they want something. That's sometimes considered rude by the French. So if you say something like "Excusez-moi monsieur, je ne parle pas français. Parlez-vous anglais?" most French will respond politely and helpfully.

I tend to strike up conversations and, yes, that's what we found too. And, always very helpful.

Looking for an ATM that showed on my phone but we just couldn't find, a young woman hairdresser came out of her shop to show us and actually apologized for her poor English.

Her English was a hell of a lot better than my French!

Don't believe everything he says! I live near Uppsala Sweden and we provincials know that Stockholmers are stuck-up, arrogant and boastful. A real theatre in every street? No way. Walk the streets at three in the morning? Well yes - if you avoid the high crime immigrant areas. Restaurants? Stockholm does not begin to compare with, say New York. With some reluctance I will however admit that Stockholm is very beautiful.

My favourite European city? Two less obvious choices: Valetta Malta and Reykjavik Iceland.

Notice that I said "main street," not every street has a live theatre. But most are within walking distance swiftly. Also, you are right, Stockholm does not compare to New York. I was not comparing to New York, but if you wish, remember, there are not as many rats and roaches here. That is a big concern there, a long with the chemicals used to keep them under control. Something you have to keep in mind when you do compare. But, this is about Europe, and overall quality of living. As for people being stuck up, your admission at the end at not being a Swedish native makes me wonder why you came here then in the first place. Why would anyone migrate to a country where the majority of people they do not like (most of the country lives in Stockholm and the surrounding area). People vote with their feet...you are here, or just up the road. As for the crime...there are no "migrant" neighborhoods per se in the downtown Stockholm area, and even those in the outlying areas are far safer there than in most cities in Europe, and just about every city in the US.

Don't get me wrong. I have some issues with a lot of the things and the way they are done here, but quality of life is not one of them. This is a great place to live. I selfishly don't want more people to move here, because I don't want it to lose what it has.

Goodness. It's a great city.

Last edited:
The City of Lights.

True, particularly of the provincial French. Want rude? Go to New York City! (But people in NY State are great in my experience).

Newcastle upon Tyne, home of my former in-laws. The Geordie dialects were so thick with some of them that I may as well not have been part of the family, anyway.

It's the home of Newcastle Brown Ale and the most hideous statue of an angel ever on display.

Fly-Angel.jpg

Newcastle is a shit hole.
It's violent and every fucker talks with a daft accent.
Wai ey man - get fucked.

York is a wonderful city.
History, a nice uni where drinking 10 bottles of Newcastle brown in two hours isn't an entry requirement and lovely restaurants.
You can walk anywhere within the city walls and there aren't gangs of drunken demi Scottish people who you can't understand, puking before entering the next pub.

Notice that I said "main street," not every street has a live theatre. But most are within walking distance swiftly. Also, you are right, Stockholm does not compare to New York. I was not comparing to New York, but if you wish, remember, there are not as many rats and roaches here. That is a big concern there, a long with the chemicals used to keep them under control. Something you have to keep in mind when you do compare. But, this is about Europe, and overall quality of living. As for people being stuck up, your admission at the end at not being a Swedish native makes me wonder why you came here then in the first place. Why would anyone migrate to a country where the majority of people they do not like (most of the country lives in Stockholm and the surrounding area). People vote with their feet...you are here, or just up the road. As for the crime...there are no "migrant" neighborhoods per se in the downtown Stockholm area, and even those in the outlying areas are far safer there than in most cities in Europe, and just about every city in the US.

Don't get me wrong. I have some issues with a lot of the things and the way they are done here, but quality of life is not one of them. This is a great place to live. I selfishly don't want more people to move here, because I don't want it to lose what it has.

Goodness. It's a great city.

A valiant defence of your adopted home. Stockholmarna skulle vara tacksam. As a Swede I can be critical. Most of what's wrong with Sweden boils down to conformism; I'm doing my best to counter that.

Brush up on your demographics. Most Swedes do NOT live in or around Stockholm - it's just that you ignore the rest of us and like to pretend we don't exist.

Last edited:
I've never been to Europe. Y'all should post pics of your cities so those who are like me and haven't had the ability to leave the states, can ooh and aah at what you get/got to see every day! I know I would love to see some of the sights, via a message board. :)

I've never been to Europe. Y'all should post pics of your cities so those who are like me and haven't had the ability to leave the states, can ooh and aah at what you get/got to see every day! I know I would love to see some of the sights, via a message board. :)

A view of Stockholm harbor and the city center from my neighborhood of Sodermalm (the neigbhborhood of the fictional character Lizbeth Salander in the book and movie of the same name, "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo").

StockholmHarbor1130am25June2013_zps0466b397.jpg

Last edited:
Newcastle upon Tyne, home of my former in-laws. The Geordie dialects were so thick with some of them that I may as well not have been part of the family, anyway.

It's the home of Newcastle Brown Ale and the most hideous statue of an angel ever on display.

Fly-Angel.jpg

Is that some sort of sick joke? Newcastle is a dump where toothless locals mate with stray dogs and the like. Seriously, if the UN wanted to find any traces of WMDs, then they should've sent E.U. culture ministers looking for them, because if they can find any traces of 'culture' in Newcastle (or anywhere else in the North-East of England), finding weapons of mass destruction in Iraq would be a walk in the park.

I'd rather spend two weeks visiting Chernobyl.

Why the hell would anyone want to live in a city?

Because they're collectivists. Individuality, privacy and freedom are things they don't put high on their list of wants or needs.

no. its because there are jobs, culture, museums, theaters restaurants and schools…

:rolleyes:

Not to mention all the other qualities/attributes that don't fit with 007's bizarre insinuation that all urban dwellers are communists.

"Haven't had the ability"? :confused:

Are you wanted by interpol or something?

Forum List

Back