Nam vets didnt deserve what they got

I CALL TOTAL BUllshit on this....

every vet you know what bullshit

and yea i was there....my father did two tours....so dont tell me your urban legends are true...when i know its mostly bullmal

And I CALL TOTAL Bullshit on your post. So what were you? Two years old? Whatever, you obviously weren't paying attention to what was happening in the real world. Spitting was only a small part of the expressions of hatred and disgust lavished on our troops. A great many Americans found it easier to buy into blatant and obvious communist propaganda than to even give us the benifit of a doubt. Apparently that continues to be true.

There were no news story's written at the time that substantiate anyone being spat upon. Not one

The stories evolved over time and became urban legend

They all have in common....I know someone or I heard of someone. Nobody admits to actually being spat upon. Most storie also lack any details of who did the spitting, where it happened and what the response was

Sorry, but that is simply untrue. I was there and experienced what I'm writting about. If you require a first hand account you've got it. I was starioned at Letterman Gen. USAH on the Presidio in S.F. for aprox. 14 mo. '68-'69 and spitting and name calling weren't even especially note-worthy. There were also many cases of assault and battery. On one occasion I helped treat some young MP's who had battery acid thrown in thier faces whose eyesight was at serious risk. Please stop calling me a myth. I like to believe I'm real.

Some people are ashamed of their actions during that era and would like to pretend they never happened. They would love to have reality seen as myth.

I CALL TOTAL BUllshit on this....

every vet you know what bullshit

and yea i was there....my father did two tours....so dont tell me your urban legends are true...when i know its mostly bullmal

And I CALL TOTAL Bullshit on your post. So what were you? Two years old? Whatever, you obviously weren't paying attention to what was happening in the real world. Spitting was only a small part of the expressions of hatred and disgust lavished on our troops. A great many Americans found it easier to buy into blatant and obvious communist propaganda than to even give us the benifit of a doubt. Apparently that continues to be true.

i was 16 when my father did his 2nd tour .....in 68.....i assure you ....i lived at ft bragg for many years.....

so no i was not 2 yrs old....i dont buy into this bull.....cause its not true simply as that...now how old are you?

I was 21. A target for some of that spit. And what you buy into is an attempted whitewash by scumbags

i was 16 when my father did his 2nd tour .....in 68.....i assure you ....i lived at ft bragg for many years.....

so no i was not 2 yrs old....i dont buy into this bull.....cause its not true simply as that...now how old are you?

I was 21. A target for some of that spit. And what you buy into is an attempted whitewash by scumbags

Well, Doc, I guess we should be happy some of the Left at least feels compelled to deny some of the things that happened; at least that diminishes the likelihood of it ever happening again to another group of soldiers, and that's a good thing. Just like it's a good thing that returning vets today have a far better support system than we had. I hope it makes their road back home a little easier, than it was for some of us; and so I guess with those lessons learned, maybe it was worth it after all.

In retrospect, while some guys did "act out" a lot, most of the worst of that was due to self-medicating with alcohol, and whatever pills the VA gave us, (most of which really didn't help much). It wasn't that they didn't try to help, just that back then they really didn't know how to. In the end, most of us had to find our own way back to "the world", and eventually most of us came to terms with the things we had to deal with; I wish all the guys could have, but I guess, like so many other things, that just can't be.

In the end, I think all of us each experienced Vietnam, and what came after, in our own way, and made whatever sense of it we could, in our own way; I guess that's the way it is with any war, for those who have to fight it. Maybe all that really matters is that we did get to come home, and have a second chance at life when so many didn't, and I suppose we ought to consider ourselves lucky, just for that

you know how vets are treated badly.....the medical treatments not received....the pysh treatment not given.....the pows/mias left in vietnam.....

they were treated badly

Mostly by the very government that drafted them to begin with, I note.

the people?

Mostly the PEOPLE ignored the Viet Nam vets.

They didnt spit on us, they simply did NOT WANT TO HEAR about Viet Nam OR the retuning vets, either.

They didn't want to be reminded of it, and if that meant ignoring the VETS, so be it.

o what bullmal and an attempt to re write a history.

the majority of vietnam vets were welcomed home...simple as that ...the spitting rumors and all are mostly that...rumors...it may have happened but not as much as people like to say now...

My husband was a Marine in VN...HE GOT SPIT ON when they came home! He very seldom talks about his time in VN or when they got home. In fact every vet i know from that time has said the spitting, name calling and everything else happened to a majority of them. If you weren't there then you don't know!

Where was it he got spit on? Was he in uniform at the time? How many people spit on him?

It's hard to get specifics on what often appears to be an Urban Legend, so any real firm evidence such as yours is appreciated.

It seems to have followed Sylvester Stallones First Blood.....after Stallone says he was spat on, all the stories started up

It just doesn't make sense that soldiers would meekly take that crap and not beat the shit out of someone. And that there would be NO coverage at the time. Americans would have been outraged

Really? I wasn't alive back in the 70s but I thought the atmosphere was very anti Military during Vietnam?

Again, where were you spit on? Were you in uniform at the time? How many spit on you? Male? Female? Did they say anything besides spit on you?

As many details as to dates, locations, etc. would be appreciated. Hard to nail this down and disprove it's "urban legend" status so any info you can give would be helpful.

Wow... Am I really reading what I am reading? So there are people here on this board who DENY that any spitting took place on returning Vietnam Vets, but will gladly buy into the myth that a black Congressman was spit on during the Obamacare debate by Tea Partiers? The things that happened to returning Vietnam Vets were despicable. Those who would DENY those things are just plain ignorant or are trying to justify the fact that THEY supported a "cause" that used tactics that bothers or ashames them now.

I spent 13 months and 4 days in Saigon, assigned to a security police detachment at the International Airport at Ton Sa Nhut. It was a different time to be sure. 1973 to 1974. American GI's were leaving Vietnam by the plane load every half hour. When they left, they were receiving "unofficial" briefings that as soon as possible, they were to change out of their uniform and take the contents of their duffel bag and put it into a civilian suitcase. The only thing was the haircut was a dead give away. There were stories of how good looking girls would come up to you, engage you in conversation, and eventually ask you if you were coming back from Vietnam. If you said yes, then they would throw urine on you, or spit on you, or a group would then come over and berate you as a "baby killer" or "criminal". One place to AVOID was San Francisco. LA was just as bad, as was Seattle. I was lucky. I caught a flight from Honolulu to Salt Lake City and then to Kansas City. I met and talked with several transport pilots who had it happen to them. One of them I spoke to had a cigarette mashed into his cheek by this girl that approached him in a bar. He was sure that she set him up.

So now, because their is no pictures of the activity, no definitive PROOF, just the word of some veterans, we have those on this board who would assign such acts as URBAN LEGENDS. Bull shit! You crapped on us when we returned. You ignored us literally to DEATH. You tried to make us ashamed of the fact that we served our country. Yes, the war sucked. But it sucked because of the politicians and the anti war protestors, NOT THE TROOPS. American servicemen have a history of doing the impossible with almost NOTHING. We did the same thing in Vietnam. LEARN God Dammit! Read some fucking history. Or go find a real fucking veteran and ask him. He'll tell you. Find out what those troopers did in the Na Trang valley for instance. Out numbered, out gunned and still they prevailed. Yeah, they lost a lot of men, but by God in heaven, they prevailed. We didn't lose that fucking war, YOU didn't know how to win it.

Finally, during my last trip to Seattle I was in a Starbucks. There was a line waiting patiently to get served. There were two Army E-5's standing just in front of me. When they got to the front of the line this pin headed little prick ignored them and asked me what I wanted. I told him that what I wanted was him to show a little respect to some people that had put their lives on the line to preserve his freedom to be an asshole. I told him that he had better by God, get them what they wanted and that I would pay for ANYTHING that they got. And I said it very loudly. They were embarassed, thanked me and told me that they had come up against it before. I was mad as hell. Even today...

So for those of you who would DENY the crap that those vets had to put up with, the only thing I can say is you're as worthless now as you were then...

It seems to have followed Sylvester Stallones First Blood.....after Stallone says he was spat on, all the stories started up

It just doesn't make sense that soldiers would meekly take that crap and not beat the shit out of someone. And that there would be NO coverage at the time. Americans would have been outraged

Really? I wasn't alive back in the 70s but I thought the atmosphere was very anti Military during Vietnam?

It WAS very anti-military.

But what it was NOT was anti VETERAN.

Mostly it was just "We do NOT want to be REMINDED of this mess"

BIG BIG DIFFERENCE between what happened, and what these right wing LIARS as trying to tell us.

On this issue, WE KNOW the truth, because kids?

A LOT of us right here on this very board were THERE.

you know how vets are treated badly.....the medical treatments not received....the pysh treatment not given.....the pows/mias left in vietnam.....

they were treated badly

Mostly by the very government that drafted them to begin with, I note.

the people?

Mostly the PEOPLE ignored the Viet Nam vets.

They didnt spit on us, they simply did NOT WANT TO HEAR about Viet Nam OR the retuning vets, either.

They didn't want to be reminded of it, and if that meant ignoring the VETS, so be it.

I think to a large extent, that's accurate; that was the experience most of us had with MOST people, and it got more and more that way as time went by, even after the pull out. There were some people who showed an extreme (I would say irrational) hatred for us, but they were a small (if loud) crowd, even among the anti-war folks. Most people just wanted us to go away. I remember even some of the old vets from WWII did n't really accept us. There were a lot of myths that went around; that we had all done awful things over there, that we were all "crazy", and so on. That was a problem, but the biggest thing, was that those of us who had PTSD and really needed to have someone to talk to, just didn't.No one wanted to hear any of it, and so, once again, were were left with each other to lean on. A lot of guys simply bottled it all up, and wouldn't discuss it at all, we just learned to do that; which made coming to terms with our emotions that much harder. For me, that was the worst of it; I've never felt so alone, so isolated, before or since.

the wall is recognition of the dead....unfortunately there as been little recognition of the living and i dont think the last two wars have changed any of that

If all these vets are coming forward with these stories, I have to believe them.

high dear, if all these vets really were in vietnam......in the first place i would be amazed

war ended in 75....since then there has been a great infiltration of people claiming to be this and that.....people do it in real life....claim to be heroes so how many people do you think do it in cyberland?

If all these vets are coming forward with these stories, I have to believe them.

high dear, if all these vets really were in vietnam......in the first place i would be amazed

war ended in 75....since then there has been a great infiltration of people claiming to be this and that.....people do it in real life....claim to be heroes so how many people do you think do it in cyberland?

None of them claimed to be heroes though, just Soldiers doing their jobs. If I thought one of them was bullshitting I would call them out.

the vets who claim they were spit on...there is no proof of that....no documentation.....dont you think there would be a fight that lead to arrests.....

high what would your reaction be to someone spitting on you?

think it thru.....someone spits on you.....you lose it you do what.....get into a fist fight....and yet there were none?

do you really expect me to believe that these men would not defend themselves? that they walk with their heads down as they were spit on? really high....just think about that....

i have a higher opinion of men in general...i dont know where you are from but here that is such a disgusting act....most wont tolerate it....

Forum List

Back