Nam vets didnt deserve what they got

Drafted on April Fools Day 1970

Fast forward 2 years............one day I was wearing green.........the next day I was a civilian.

No one ever spat on me or even said "boo"

Vet's who are still living in the past reguardless of where they served.

Just need to F.I.D.O.

"Forget It Drive On" :cool:

Last edited:
o what bullmal and an attempt to re write a history.

the majority of vietnam vets were welcomed home...simple as that ...the spitting rumors and all are mostly that...rumors...it may have happened but not as much as people like to say now...

My husband was a Marine in VN...HE GOT SPIT ON when they came home! He very seldom talks about his time in VN or when they got home. In fact every vet i know from that time has said the spitting, name calling and everything else happened to a majority of them. If you weren't there then you don't know!

I CALL TOTAL BUllshit on this....

every vet you know what bullshit

and yea i was there....my father did two tours....so dont tell me your urban legends are true...when i know its mostly bullmal

And I CALL TOTAL Bullshit on your post. So what were you? Two years old? Whatever, you obviously weren't paying attention to what was happening in the real world. Spitting was only a small part of the expressions of hatred and disgust lavished on our troops. A great many Americans found it easier to buy into blatant and obvious communist propaganda than to even give us the benifit of a doubt. Apparently that continues to be true.

the majority of vietnam vets were welcomed home...simple as that ...the spitting rumors and all are mostly that...rumors...it may have happened but not as much as people like to say now...

My husband was a Marine in VN...HE GOT SPIT ON when they came home! He very seldom talks about his time in VN or when they got home. In fact every vet i know from that time has said the spitting, name calling and everything else happened to a majority of them. If you weren't there then you don't know!

and yea i was there....my father did two tours....so dont tell me your urban legends are true...when i know its mostly bullmal

Did i say i know ALOT of vets? The ones i know DID go through this shit...and treated like shit! So you can call BULLSHIT all you want, i know what i've been told. Most vets i know don't even want to talk about Vietnam, it wasn't the highlight of their lives!

A very few of the Nam vets did not get as bad as they deserved.
But as with everything a handfull mess up things for everyone.

I am a combat Nam vet.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
Drafted on April Fools Day 1970

Fast forward 2 years............one day I was wearing green.........the next day I was a civilian.

No one ever spat on me or even said "boo"

Vet's who are still living in the past reguardless of where they served.

Just need to F.I.D.O.

"Forget It Drive On" :cool:

For many it's almost impossible to F.I.D.O....when you're treated by your own people like they were, it's not an easy thing to just forget about. Nobody said that ALL soldiers were spit on or called names. But there were way too many that it did happen to, you were one of the lucky. Things like that are impossible to just forget.

What was done to returning Viet Vets was reprehensible and I remember it VERY well. Those were the days when it was PC to hate the military. Everyone who was anyone hated the military. Not to hate the military would subject a person to the same sort of treatment given to the military.

Unfortunately, even when hating the military and returning vets became passe, the vets made themselves largely obnoxious. Sorry to say.

Viet Nam vets got to come home, go to college, take advantage of veterans benefits and resume their lives. Just like other vets.

The Viet vets that returned home to my town were welcomed back by all. They were the sons and brothers and neighbors we grew up with. The ones I knew got on with their lives and contributed to society

Last edited:

And I CALL TOTAL Bullshit on your post. So what were you? Two years old? Whatever, you obviously weren't paying attention to what was happening in the real world. Spitting was only a small part of the expressions of hatred and disgust lavished on our troops. A great many Americans found it easier to buy into blatant and obvious communist propaganda than to even give us the benifit of a doubt. Apparently that continues to be true.

There were no news story's written at the time that substantiate anyone being spat upon. Not one

The stories evolved over time and became urban legend

They all have in common....I know someone or I heard of someone. Nobody admits to actually being spat upon. Most storie also lack any details of who did the spitting, where it happened and what the response was

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Jesse Ventura wrote in his book about the treatment he got as a returning vet. It wasn't pretty.

A lot depends on where you are. In many places the vets were well treated. I was in Northern California and the treatment that I saw Viet Vets get was pretty bad. I've seen then literally surrounded and chased out of restaurants by irate fellow customers screaming "Baby Killer".

Viet Nam vets got to come home, go to college, take advantage of veterans benefits and resume their lives. Just like other vets.

The Viet vets that returned home to my town were welcomed back by all. They were the sons and brothers and neighbors we grew up with. The ones I knew got on with their lives and contributed to society

I returned home and married my High School sweetheart.

Most people didn't even realize I even served.

Went to 4 years of collage on the G.I. Bill

Graduated and started my career.

The image of the psycho Vietnam Vet is just a media myth.

Movies like "Rambo" kept the stereotype alive.

I get angry when I see a bum with a cardboard sign sign at an intersection that says "Veteran"

Like being a Vet somehow destroyed his life.

But I guess one excuse is as good as another. :doubt:

Last edited:

I get angry when I see a bum with a cardboard sign sign at an intersection that says "Veteran"

Like being a Vet somehow destroyed his life. :evil:

Many that went to nam served behind the lines. and some of us were not suited for combat. Took me many years to get my life back together after Nam.
If you deny that it damaged many both physically and mentally then I doubt that you served in Nam.
And I had no choice as I was drafted.

I have known many vets who used that excuse for everything from beating their wives to kicking the dog. It was disgusting then, it's disgusting now. I got stress, I got flashbacks, I got PTSD. I had to take LSD and cocaine, smoke pot, just to watch my wife go to work every day and support my sorry ass. Not all, some, a significant some. Once being a vet became an excuse for acting out, they lost credibility.

i was 16 when my father did his 2nd tour .....in 68.....i assure you ....i lived at ft bragg for many years.....

so no i was not 2 yrs old....i dont buy into this bull.....cause its not true simply as that...now how old are you?

Sorry, but you are the one attempting the history rewrite in this instance.
The military accomplished every mission it was given. If Vietnam was a loss, it was lost by civilians after we left there.

Lost by civilians and ARVN.

Like being a Vet somehow destroyed his life.

But I guess one excuse is as good as another. :doubt:

Why would get angry about that. Shame so many vets fell through the cracks.

Jesse Ventura wrote in his book about the treatment he got as a returning vet. It wasn't pretty.

A lot depends on where you are. In many places the vets were well treated. I was in Northern California and the treatment that I saw Viet Vets get was pretty bad. I've seen then literally surrounded and chased out of restaurants by irate fellow customers screaming "Baby Killer".

It keeps getting better and better..

Can you point to a single news article written at the time that reports such conduct by the public?

Can you point to a single news article written at the time that reports such conduct by the public?

i would rep ya but you would only piss and moan about it

• Thanks
The worst thing that happened to Viet Nam vets is that they were ignored.

Not by not getting a parade. Very few WWII vets got a parade. But they were not given the courtesies usually extended to our veterans. They were not first in line to get job offers, they were not treated as heroes and people didn't smile at you when you told them you were a returning vet.

For the most part, Viet Nam Vets just came home and returned to their lives

i would rep ya but you would only piss and moan about it

I don't care...just don't spit on me

Like being a Vet somehow destroyed his life. :evil:

Many that went to nam served behind the lines. and some of us were not suited for combat. Took me many years to get my life back together after Nam.
If you deny that it damaged many both physically and mentally then I doubt that you served in Nam.
And I had no choice as I was drafted.
I was drafted and didn't want to be there or participate.

The day I completed my 2 year of conscription was a happy day for me.

I became a civilian again and focused on the future.

The only time I ever think about it is on Veterans Day.

When I mentally honor my high school friend who was drafted the same day as I was.

And who's name is on the "Wall" :(

Forum List

Back