My wife bruised..My truck.. destroyed!

NightTrain

VIP Member
Aug 29, 2003
Wasilla, Alaska
Well, I got a call last night from my wife who was hysterical. She'd just rolled my truck 3 times, it landed on it's wheels and she drove it home anyway... this happened about 2 miles from home. So I hauled ass from 200 miles away to get here.

She's okay, just bruised and a few small cuts from all the glass. Most of all, she's very scared of driving. It may sound callous, but I think the scared part is the silver lining here... she just doesn't have a feel for what forces are acting on a vehicle when cornering and braking, especially when it's slick out. Guess she entered a corner going too fast, and the ass end broke loose & came around. It started flipping at 40 MPH or so.

Anyway, my truck... a beautiful Ram 2500 extended cab, long bed, power everything, Cummins turbo diesel, 4x4, light bar... is dead! Not one window left in it, the body is completely hammered. :cry: :cry: :cry:

OUCH!!!!!!!

Glad the spouse is okay. Sounds like she could just as easily have been a dead duck.

If she lacks "feel" for the vehicle, it might be a good idea to keep her away from pickups. In your wife's defense, pickups are treacherous vehicles when there is no load in the bed. Unlike sedans, whose weight is distributed more evenly, pickups have almost all of their weight resting on the front wheels. As a result the back end breaks loose easily when road conditions deteriorate.

If you get another pickup and your wife has to drive it, you can improve her safety margin by securing two to three hundred pounds of weight in the bed of the truck directly over the back wheels.

Good gracious, NT, I"m so glad your wife is okay!!! If it was me, I'd probably never drive again. That had to be scary!!!

Holy crap!! Glad to hear the wife is OK!! Look on the bright side...you can have fun getting a new truck! :thup:

Sorry to hear about your truck Rick, but I will agree with everyone else, thank god your Wife is ok!!!!

Oh my God, glad your wife is okay she was very lucky, was she in shock?
That must have been a hell of long 200 mile ride for you!

Thanks, all.

Yeah, I thank my lucky stars that she's okay & that she was wearing her seat belt. She had dropped our kids off at my Mom's house 15 minutes before this happened... Thank GOD for that. If she hadn't been wearing her seat belt, she would have been definitely ejected and probably pasted by that big assed truck. I'm a firm believer in seat belts, they've saved my hide for sure at least 2 times in nasty accidents.

The insurance company totalled out the truck, and will let me buy it back for $1400.00. That Cummins engine alone is worth at least $3k, they're a hot item up here. If I sold the Engine, tranny, transfer case and axles and the rest, I'd probably have a quick $10k profit out of the deal.

I don't wanna do that though, I really love that truck. I've got a big piggyback camper for it and that baby still gets 22 MPG with that on and pulling toys on a trailer.

I know plenty of mechanics and body guys, I'll have that baby looking brand new for under $4k.

In the meantime... yep, I'm lookin for another truck! :D I love Dodge trucks, but those Chevy Duramax trucks are impressive units... we shall see!

Forum List

Back