My Twins, the Patriots!

UsaPride

Mar 13, 2004
NC
Today I went back to the Airborne and Special Ops Museum here in town. They've got things from the World Trade Center from 9/11 that are circulating through. They also have a part set up with pictures, quotes and items from "Operation Iraqi Freedom" and "Operation Enduring Freedom" (I didn't know this was the name of the fight in Afghan). While we were walking through my 3 year old son kept saying "Look mommy, a soldier". I explained to him how we should thank soldiers because they are keeping us safe. Before we left that part of the museum we came accross probably 10-15 soldiers in their BDU's. We overheard them talking about just getting back from Iraq. A couple of them were looking at the pics and bursted out into the song "memories", lol. One soldier told another, "I miss it", and the other agreed. Anyway, as we were walking past them my son told one of the GI's "Thank you, soldier", I started tearing up. He smiled, along with all the other GI's he was with and told my son, "you're welcome", it was just so sweet!! After I also thanked the soldiers, I had to walk away because I couldn't stop crying, I'm a goob! LOL!!
Just to add on, as we were leaving, my 3 year old daughter (they're twins) was screaming, "Mommy, I want a soldier", LOL! My mom and I looked at each other and laughed. Apparently it's genetic, LMBO!!

**Mods, if this is in the wrong place, I'm terribly sorry!!**

Too good. Thank you for raising appreciative :p: children.

Me too..Hey Lil..if you found one and he has a hot single friend send him my way will ya? and for you Hannitized that was so cool of you to tell your children about thanking a soldier..There should be more people out there doing that..:clap: :clap: That just makes me want to cry too..i feel the tears coming now..

That is a very touching story. My kids feel the same way. Isn't it hard explaining what soldiers do for us, while not explaining what they have to go through?

Keep smiling.

thanking a soldier..There should be more people out there doing that
i agree. What is heart breaking for me is that my cousin, who we get to hear from every once in awhile, has said that they have gotten alot of rudeness and anger from many americans because of the whole jail thing. He's a SEAL, he was nowhere near that place! Yet, he said that they've had alot of anti-war sentiments directed at them. I think that is just wrong.

Savagette, please tell you cousin, "Thank you" from me. Your aunt and uncle too. The prisoner thing is way out of hand, it's an election year. ~sigh~

Originally posted by proud_savagette
I will, thank you. They will all appreciate it.:D

Just though I'd throw this out. I've been involved with Adoptaplatoon with my classes at school. It's a great program and the kids like it. Perhaps some of you would like to check it out, especially those with a bit of $.

http://www.adoptaplatoon.org/

I'm in college and when i was president of my club here, i tried at christmas time to get a donation box for the troops or adopt some troops but the club didn't want to do it..i'm like what? they are fighting for your freedom and you don't want to do it..i so blow up on them..well let me tell you that the club did not re-elect me the next term..but i think it was bullshit that they didn't want to do it..so i found some guys on my own and sent them christmas presents..and that website is great..i have looked at it before and if i was a teacher or someone who had a large group to help me out i would so do it. i'm a big supporter of troops..and they do need our support and Thank-you's.:usa: :usa:

You're welcome. Actually since Savagette and probably others here have loved ones serving, maybe they can let us know by pm or something if they think we could support their special soldier in some way?

From the folks I've spoken to over there, mostly they themselves have plenty, but there are guys and girls they serve with that don't have family or friends to support. I for one would be more than willing to write or send care packages.

Anyone interested?

You're welcome. Actually since Savagette and probably others here have loved ones serving, maybe they can let us know by pm or something if they think we could support their special soldier in some way?
That is really sweet of you, it really is--unfortunately, we're not allowed to know where exactly he is! He tells us a month after he leaves wherever he was. For example, he was in Cambodia, for some reason, and then South America, in Brazil, and then he went over to Iraq. I don't know if he's still there. And I guess there's some confusion about where we send his stuff to...but when we figure it all out, I'll let you know. Thank you again. :)

I was fortunate enough to attend a parade to welcome home the troops from Ft. Carson, CO with my 14 year old son. It was such an emotionally filled experiance that my son and I will never forget it ! Attend one if you get the chance!

Thank you all! My husband is a Gulf War Vetern as has so much pride in his military expierence. I've grown up in a military town so I've always had a soft spot for my GI's, LOL!! Before my mom was born, and even after I was born, my grandparents would invite soldiers over on holidays to have a holiday feast with our family because they were too far from home to be with their families. Of course my children will be raised to have pride and respect for their Country and in the soldiers that protect this Country, just like I was. : )
Lil' and Jmarie, come on down. There's no shortage, that's for sure, LOL!! I'm just a sucker for a man in some BDU's. Well, I was, now I'm just a sucker for my husband in some BDU's, lol. (As a matter of fact, Jmarie, my husband is from Iowa)
dilloduck, I went to welcome home alot of the troops at Pope Air Force Base after the First Gulf War. It was truely amazing. There were so many people there, even people that drove for miles and miles without even knowing any of the soldiers on the planes. It was the most powerful, heartwarming thing I have ever seen. I haven't been able to go to any this time. Pope is a closed air base so we had to go to Bragg and then take a bus to Pope. But parts of Bragg was closed off this time around and I could never find any info on how to be there when soldiers come home. There hasn't even been a parade for any of the soldiers that have already come home, which is very disheartening. There's been protests where there's usually parades.

Originally posted by proud_savagette
i agree. What is heart breaking for me is that my cousin, who we get to hear from every once in awhile, has said that they have gotten alot of rudeness and anger from many americans because of the whole jail thing. He's a SEAL, he was nowhere near that place! Yet, he said that they've had alot of anti-war sentiments directed at them. I think that is just wrong.
First of all, Please let your cousin know that there are some very PROUD people back in here NC!! I'm so sorry for him and all the soldiers that have had to deal with this.
I found a poem on the web recently that I plan on printing and framing for my husband. It's called 'The American Vetern'

**He awoke to the sound of hoofs, grabbed his rifle and ran to meet the enemy,
He marched to the cadence of a boy’s drum,
He’s slept out in the cold of Winter, in the heat of summer in the desert, in rain, in snow, in wind, in dust storm,
He’s fought in tattered clothes, when hungry, when there was no hope, it didn’t matter he was there and he was needed,
He faced the enemy near the town square, across a corn field, across a cotton field, across a pasture in France, across rice patties, and across desert sands,
He was shot at Harlem Heights, at Manassas, near Appomattox, at The Marne, Omaha, Juno, Hue, Tippecanoe, at Little Round Top, and at Little Big Horn,
He was injured by the cold of Valley Forge, the lava fields of Mexico, an Indian arrow, punji sticks, enemy bayonets;
He had his ship shot out from under him when he was on The Arizona, The Lexington, The Bonhomie Richard,
And he wept at Bergen-Belsen, at Treblinka, at Auschwitz, and for those he marched with from Battaan,
It is he and not the campus organizer who has given us the freedom to demonstrate,
It is he and not the reporter who has given us freedom of the press,
It is he and not the poet who has given us freedom of speech,
It is he and not the lawyer, who has given us the right to a fair trial,
It is he who salutes the flag, serves under the flag, and whose coffin is draped by it who gives the protester the right to burn the flag,
He has always been there to defend his country, always proud of its flag, always willing to place his life on the line,
He is,
and always will be,
The American Veteran!

(sorry so long)

North Carolina huh? My dad is from there on the western part in the mountains..Fort Bragg I knew some guys from there..And can i say DAM HOT...I'm talking to one who's over in Iraq now..He is coming home next month and I can't wait..He calls me all the time and messages me all the time..He tells me he's in hell and i'm like hun you are almost done and you are coming home. for a guy in BDU's OH MY GOD..Now that's sexy well anyone of them in a uniform is sexy..I also have a soft spot for the soldiers.

Hannitized What part of Iowa is your husband from? I'm on the eastern side right on the Mississippi. Our troops came home the other week and it was the greatest thing to see the community pull together to give them a warm welcome home. Ten of them stayed over there to help load things up and they just got back yesterday so we have all of them back now.. I pray everyday that all the troops everywhere are safe..I see guys and girls in a uniform or if i know they are in the military..I give them a big THANK-YOU. and the poem was great..

:clap: :clap:

Great job on the twins Big H.
Kath, I truly applaud the work you do with adopting troops and all the other worthy organizations.

Here's a plug for one organization that is a fixture to the military. . THE USO.

The USO is there literally in every clime and place. They are there in during war and during a lonely peace in foreign lands . They've been there when our troops were popular and when they were spit on.

I spent several holidays, birthdays, anniversaries etc. in places where it didn't seem to matter. The USO always put out a "best effort" to entertain and improve morale for those away from home. I found out about my second kid from a USO/MARSGram. Al gore hadn't invented the internet yet :p:

Y'all be good now

Thank you Kathianne!!
JMarie, I would have loved to marry my husband in his military uniform, but the BDU's (Oh so sexy) were not dressy, and I just don't like the Army's dress greens, eww, LOL!
Congrats on having your guys back home. We have some coming and some leaving, and some that came leave again. It's so not like the first Gulf War though. It was so scary around here, a ghost town. Streets were almost empty of cars, wives took their kids and went back to their home towns. Business went under because the soldiers made up such a big part of the economy around here. This go around, you can hardly tell that many are gone.
My husband grew up in Lake Okoboji. (I sent you a PM)

Thanks Pegwinn!! That's one reason Bob Hope will always hold a special place in my heart. He wanted to be in the military and this was his way of helping. If you can't be in the military, do something to help the morale of the soldiers that are in it. That's absolutely wonderful!

Forum List

Back