My three electric vehicle questions.

then the government controls gasoline and therefore Xiden is the reason for high gas prices, right?

No. The government doesn't control the PRICES of gasoline. You are confusing your fear with the MARKET. The president can (and in this case has) open up strategic reserves to help offset the market swings.

hogs were deemed illegal? when? link.

They were never deemed illegal. But CAFE standards means that auto manufacturers have to offer FEWER low mileage vehicles.

Are you actually able to understand simple concepts? Or is this all just a confusing mush to you?

View attachment 635816

There you go. Just Google "FTIR Background" and you can pull that up. Otherwise you can hit up a Colthup Chart.

Too small ... and what does the Indianapolis Colts Depth Chart have to do with this ... hahaha ... guess DraftKings have bought into Google ...

I'm looking at a better version of this chart ... I was wondering if you could substitute in regular SI dimensions for the vertical axis ... what the hell is "single beam"? ... if this is energy, then this isn't Earth's blackbody curve ...

I'm looking at a better version of this chart ... I was wondering if you could substitute in regular SI dimensions for the vertical axis ... what the hell is "single beam"? ... if this is energy, then this isn't Earth's blackbody curve ...

OK, first off that picture is what is called a BACKGROUND SCAN. You leave the FTIR sample chamber empty except for room air. The IR goes through it and is absorbed in various frequencies. The bottom axis is in "wavenumbers" (basically just the inverse of the wavelength, the units are in cm^-1 so you can easily flip it and get the wavelength). The Y-axis is an arbitrary "absorbance" or "transmittance" values.

When you see the curve you are looking at water in the atmosphere and CO2 and other gases which absorb IR. That big valley in the middle labeled "CO2" is one of the bands that CO2 absorbs in.

WHen you run an FTIR you need to subtract out the background before you process the spectrum.

Background+Spectrum+O-H+stretch+H-O-H+bending+O%3DC%3DO+Asymmetric+stretch.jpg

That OH stretch and H-O-H bending are related to water vapor in the air. The O=C=O asymetric stretch is due to CO2 molecules. IR is absorbed by the BONDS in these chemicals. THe bonds resonate at certain frequencies which allows them to absorb IR. It is also why N2 and O2 don't absorb significant IR. The bonds are, first off, symmetrical and also don't have the right features to absorb IR.

This is why the earth's black body temperature is NOT our current surface temperature. The greenhouse gases like H2O and CO2 and CH4 etc. absorb IR and help hold heat back near the surface.

The FTIR isn't there to tell you about global warming, just to show you how CO2 operates in regards to IR photons.

OK, first off that picture is what is called a BACKGROUND SCAN. You leave the FTIR sample chamber empty except for room air. The IR goes through it and is absorbed in various frequencies. The bottom axis is in "wavenumbers" (basically just the inverse of the wavelength, the units are in cm^-1 so you can easily flip it and get the wavelength). The Y-axis is an arbitrary "absorbance" or "transmittance" values.

When you see the curve you are looking at water in the atmosphere and CO2 and other gases which absorb IR. That big valley in the middle labeled "CO2" is one of the bands that CO2 absorbs in.

WHen you run an FTIR you need to subtract out the background before you process the spectrum.

Background+Spectrum+O-H+stretch+H-O-H+bending+O%3DC%3DO+Asymmetric+stretch.jpg

That OH stretch and H-O-H bending are related to water vapor in the air. The O=C=O asymetric stretch is due to CO2 molecules. IR is absorbed by the BONDS in these chemicals. THe bonds resonate at certain frequencies which allows them to absorb IR. It is also why N2 and O2 don't absorb significant IR. The bonds are, first off, symmetrical and also don't have the right features to absorb IR.

This is why the earth's black body temperature is NOT our current surface temperature. The greenhouse gases like H2O and CO2 and CH4 etc. absorb IR and help hold heat back near the surface.

The FTIR isn't there to tell you about global warming, just to show you how CO2 operates in regards to IR photons.

Okay ... so you're not generating the blackbody spectrum ... or if you prefer "graybody spectrum" ... what spectrum are you using to test the air sample? ... do you take humidity into consideration? ...

There are better charts to demonstrate the radiant behavior of all the atmospheric species ... and of particular concern is the 15 µm band ... water vapor is transparent at this wavelength but carbon dioxide isn't ... thus it's here where we supposed to see all the damage being done ...

Okay ... so you're not generating the blackbody spectrum ... or if you prefer "graybody spectrum" ... what spectrum are you using to test the air sample?

It's just an FTIR of the chamber air. That's it. Just firing the IR through an empty chamber.

... do you take humidity into consideration? ...

Weren't the giant -OH and HOH bond absorptions a clue?

There are better charts to demonstrate the radiant behavior of all the atmospheric species

That isn't what this was posted in response to.

It's just an FTIR of the chamber air. That's it. Just firing the IR through an empty chamber.

Wouldn't be empty, the chamber has air in it ... I'm asking which IR? ... that band runs from 800 nm to 1 mm ... I'm curious as to why this is so weak at 15 µm ...

Weren't the giant -OH and HOH bond absorptions a clue?

I can see the 6 µm bend line ... what's all the rest of the noise that bandwidth? ... and absorption is proportional to mass ... of course humidity matters in any kind of quantitative analysis ...

That isn't what this was posted in response to.

Good thing that's not the question I asked ... I was curious as to which wavelength was responding to which bond ... and what kind of bonds we should expect to find in rocks ... for example, what does (Mg^2+, Fe^2+)3Si2O5(OH)4 look like in IR? ... this serpentinite is distinctly green in visible ... would you even bother running the FTIR for this in the field? ... curious is all ... nothing personal ...

Wouldn't be empty, the chamber has air in it ... I'm asking which IR? ... that band runs from 800 nm to 1 mm ... I'm curious as to why this is so weak at 15 µm ...

There's literally nothing mysterious about this thing. The wavenumbers are on the x-axis. It's an FTIR. Go to a local community college and ask to see one.

I can see the 6 µm bend line ... what's all the rest of the noise that bandwidth? ... and absorption is proportional to mass ... of course humidity matters in any kind of quantitative analysis ...

Why are you over-analyzing this? Honestly the point was just to show absorption of various greenhouse gas type gases. H2O and CO2 both have bonds that absorb in the IR. That was the whole point.
Good thing that's not the question I asked ... I was curious as to which wavelength was responding to which bond

That's on the x-axis.

... and what kind of bonds we should expect to find in rocks ... for example, what does (Mg^2+, Fe^2+)3Si2O5(OH)4 look like in IR?

If you want a serpentine FTIR here it is:

Figure-10-FTIR-spectra-recorded-for-raw-serpentine-batch-no1-and-batch-no2.jpg

You can see the Si-O bonds as well as the OH stretching from the crystal water. You can even see the Mg-O bonds.

... this serpentinite is distinctly green in visible ... would you even bother running the FTIR for this in the field? ... curious is all ... nothing personal ...

I wouldn't identify serpentine with FTIR, I probably wouldn't put it in the FTIR. If I wanted to learn anything about serpentine I'd do an XRD or optical mineralogical analysis.

FTIR is sometimes used in mineralogy but not as commonly as other techniques.

There's literally nothing mysterious about this thing. The wavenumbers are on the x-axis. It's an FTIR. Go to a local community college and ask to see one.

Why are you over-analyzing this? Honestly the point was just to show absorption of various greenhouse gas type gases. H2O and CO2 both have bonds that absorb in the IR. That was the whole point.

That's on the x-axis.

If you want a serpentine FTIR here it is:

Figure-10-FTIR-spectra-recorded-for-raw-serpentine-batch-no1-and-batch-no2.jpg

You can see the Si-O bonds as well as the OH stretching from the crystal water. You can even see the Mg-O bonds.

I wouldn't identify serpentine with FTIR, I probably wouldn't put it in the FTIR. If I wanted to learn anything about serpentine I'd do an XRD or optical mineralogical analysis.

FTIR is sometimes used in mineralogy but not as commonly as other techniques.

I think you prefer to withhold the links for the charts because you don't want others to see the full background to them.

What link do you want? I suggested looking for a Colthup Chart. Why is that confusing to you? It's pretty standard. You could find it in just about any Spectroscopy book.

Yet too hard for you to just post the freaking LINK! some "scientist" you alleged to be......

:icon_rolleyes:

Yet too hard for you to just post the freaking LINK! some "scientist" you alleged to be......

:icon_rolleyes:

Do you ask people to show you a book about the alphabet when someone mentions a word you don't know?

Look, I get that this is your "game" and I should just relax and let you play with yourself. But it's so frustrating to see someone who is either ASTOUNDINGLY stupid and who is really convinced they are being clever and insightful OR someone who is just playing a stupid game.

Either way move along, loser.

Do you ask people to show you a book about the alphabet when someone mentions a word you don't know?

Look, I get that this is your "game" and I should just relax and let you play with yourself. But it's so frustrating to see someone who is either ASTOUNDINGLY stupid and who is really convinced they are being clever and insightful OR someone who is just playing a stupid game.

Either way move along, loser.

Forum Rules:

• Copyright. Link Each "Copy & Paste" to It's Source. Only paste a small to medium section of the material.
  • Furthermore, when starting a new thread and declaring something as fact in your opening post, you must also link to a source. For example, "Polls say 2/3 of people think x, y, z." You need to link to a source for one of those alleged polls. Telling others to Google it on their own is not acceptable."
LINK

Now you can comply or I will start reporting your chronic violations.

For an alleged scientist you sure have a potty mouth.

He has dodged your sensible question has posted for several hours after your post yup he is dodging here.

Went over some of it with him, he doesn't think 58 years long enough when I told him the climate in my region is the same as it was in 1964 when I moved there, he disputes it with babbling nonsense since the entire Northwest climate is the same since 1964 too.

It's amazing to me that the same Moonbats who believe oil comes from fossils and is therefore finite and limited also believe in unlimited supplies of lithium, cobalt, nickel, copper and all the other elements needed in electric cars

It's amazing to me that the same Moonbats who believe oil comes from fossils and is therefore finite and limited also believe in unlimited supplies of lithium, cobalt, nickel, copper and all the other elements needed in electric cars

And you think oil is created from nothing in some magical place in the lithosphere or mantle? ...

Fossils are made of rock, not living tissue ... in the sense that the carbon atoms are all replaced by silicon ... and oil isn't made of silicon ... [giggle] ...

Cobalt and nickel are fairly common in iron ore bodies ... your complaint is about the rare earth elements, the Lanthanum series ... though not particularly rare, they are very difficult to get for several good reasons ... not the least of which is the vast amounts in China ... ouch ... and the difference is that all these materials can be recovered from the EV or piston engine vehicles through recycling ... can't do that with oil after we burn it ...

No. But then I can actually name real CLIMATE SCIENTISTS. All you can do is name popular and political figures because you don't know anything about this topic technically!

Oh, nice! Got a slam in on someone's disability! Well, Admiral! What a good person you are!

You should be proud of yourself!

Hey, I bet there are some folks in wheelchairs somewhere in your town. Go call 'em names too! LOL.

And, yeah, I'm Greta Thunberg's dad. But don't tell your mom.

Lol...98% of the public can't name one single climate scientist....because nobody cares. :deal:

elon-musk-buy-twitter-bird-icon-business-deal-vector-cartoon-portrait-illustration-san-francis...jpg

Forum List

Back