My three electric vehicle questions.

Laslow

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2022
1. What is the impact of mining the materials needed to construct the batteries. Getting rid of fossil fuels to mine for more scarce materials seems conflicting.
2. Disposal of the batteries. I've seen some say recycling, but how would that work?
3. Where does the energy come from to charge the batteries? I've seen some say solar, but that doesn't sound realistic. Wouldn't you need enough solar panels to cover Nevada to power the charging stations?

Since the government is trying to force people to buy them, I'd like some answers. I still have doubts that creating and charging batteries will be a cleaner solution to energy needs.

1. What is the impact of mining the materials needed to construct the batteries. Getting rid of fossil fuels to mine for more scarce materials seems conflicting.
2. Disposal of the batteries. I've seen some say recycling, but how would that work?
3. Where does the energy come from to charge the batteries? I've seen some say solar, but that doesn't sound realistic. Wouldn't you need enough solar panels to cover Nevada to power the charging stations?

Since the government is trying to force people to buy them, I'd like some answers. I still have doubts that creating and charging batteries will be a cleaner solution to energy needs.

The first two would require textbook-length answers ... check on Amazon ...

The third is easy ... we're filthy with hydro-power here in the Pacific NW ... kills the fish but we have dirt-cheap carbon-neutral electric power ... stuff to smelt aluminum by ... yeah ... I've shed a few tears looking at the bouillabaisse they call the Columbia there in Portland ... Lord knows it's awful ... but I WANT MY TESLA ...

ETA: Batteries? ... piston engine cars have batteries ... how did you think they were being recycled? ... how about tires? ...

Mining is destroying huge areas wherever you find the minerals for EV batteries...like cobalt where they use small children to go down into very small openings in the ground to drag out cobalt....

Batteries and the cars themselves are being crunched into small blocks of metal and tossed into landfills...at least with gas engines there was always a buyer like in Cuba and Mexico....

You can have solar panels put on the roof of your home and a charging station in your garage but the cost of installation will out way any rise in gas prices.....

We are not there yet with renewable energy...when we are it won't be windmills and solar that gets us there...it will be something we haven't conceived of yet...we need to stop trying to fit square pegs into round holes and we need to stop using global warming as a political issue....

These stupid uneducated low information Moon Bats don't have an answer to any of those questions.

They ignore the fact that the rare earths that the batteries are made of are always an ecological disaster to mine and refine.

They, being science deniers, also ignore The First Law of Thermodynamics when it comes to charging the batteries. They don't understand that in physics "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch".

Mining is destroying huge areas wherever you find the minerals for EV batteries...like cobalt where they use small children to go down into very small openings in the ground to drag out cobalt....

Batteries and the cars themselves are being crunched into small blocks of metal and tossed into landfills...at least with gas engines there was always a buyer like in Cuba and Mexico....

You can have solar panels put on the roof of your home and a charging station in your garage but the cost of installation will out way any rise in gas prices.....

We are not there yet with renewable energy...when we are it won't be windmills and solar that gets us there...it will be something we haven't conceived of yet...we need to stop trying to fit square pegs into round holes and we need to stop using global warming as a political issue....
Renewables + insulation + conservation + recycling. :)

Last edited:

In Californication, just below Fresno is a solar array farm, i asked my son how often the rains come, and he said in February. After that all the dust and dirt, covers the panels thus reducing the electrical output by 75%. This is why Calinfornication has rolling brown outs all the time.

The first two would require textbook-length answers ... check on Amazon ...

ETA: Batteries? ... piston engine cars have batteries ... how did you think they were being recycled? ... how about tires? ...
Lead acid batteries are no different than lithium/cobalt? They are much different. Once the energy is spent in lithium/cobalt that is the end.

As long as one political party keeps renewables in the political realm for their own advantage... we won't be able to do anything to help slow climate change....or clean the air water and seas....
It's time for the people to take responsibility. Sadly our educational system discourages this. Teachers will give you and "A" in critical thinking if you arrive at their conclusions. :(

Last edited:
Electric cars closer to the capacities of the VW Beetle are one thing. Electric Escalades are quite another (and quite absurd). If two tons accelerating from 0 to 100 kph in four seconds is the standard, we're sunk.

The way that gasoline autos are going in price many in the market will not be able to afford them along with the high insurance rates.

In Californication, just below Fresno is a solar array farm, i asked my son how often the rains come, and he said in February. After that all the dust and dirt, covers the panels thus reducing the electrical output by 75%. This is why Calinfornication has rolling brown outs all the time.
Please take your son to foodida.

The way that gasoline autos are going in price many in the market will not be able to afford them along with the high insurance rates.
That might bring the prices down. Even now used car prices are up as well. I just paid a thousand dollars more than 'book' for a used car, and happy to get it.

Forum List

Back