My son may have ADHD

my youngest boy was quite hyperactive. He was 6 when we divorced and the ex promptly had him taking ritalin. I withheld them on my weekend visits. I'd rather have had him bouncing around than staring like a zombie.

Anhow- i'd grind up his rit and snort it. :thup:
Pretty damn good speed.

well i never tried my sons meds...but i know it's supposed to give you the opposite effects if you don't need them! they would help my younger son concentrate because he needed them, but my oldest son told me he tried the ritalin (knowing it could speed him up!) and he couldn't sleep for 2 days! Lol!

bullshit

my youngest boy was quite hyperactive. He was 6 when we divorced and the ex promptly had him taking ritalin. I withheld them on my weekend visits. I'd rather have had him bouncing around than staring like a zombie.

Anhow- i'd grind up his rit and snort it. :thup:
Pretty damn good speed.

well i never tried my sons meds...but i know it's supposed to give you the opposite effects if you don't need them! they would help my younger son concentrate because he needed them, but my oldest son told me he tried the ritalin (knowing it could speed him up!) and he couldn't sleep for 2 days! Lol!

bullshit

How would you know? Why would i lie about that? Sorry to inform you, i am not making this up.....but you can think what you want.

bullshit

how would you know? Why would i lie about that? Sorry to inform you, i am not making this up.....but you can think what you want.

meth is meth while some may tolerate it better than others but that does not equate to it has "the opposite effect if you do not need it " and there is no evidence adhd or add are medical conditions and not simply individual personality and character,I do not think you are lying..but I do think you are very illinformed

Last edited:

how would you know? Why would i lie about that? Sorry to inform you, i am not making this up.....but you can think what you want.

meth is meth while some may tolerate it better than others but that does not equate to it has "the opposite effect if you do not need it " and there is no evidence adhd or add are medical conditions and not simply individual personality and character,I do not think you are lying..but I do think you are very illinformed

Then explain this..........

Because of its stimulant properties, however, in recent years there have been reports of its abuse by people for whom it is not a medication. These prescription tablets can create powerful stimulant effects and serious health risks when crushed and then snorted like cocaine, or injected like heroin.

Ritalin | The Partnership at Drugfree.org

Because of its stimulant properties, however, in recent years there have been reports of its abuse by people for whom it is not a medication. These prescription tablets can create powerful stimulant effects and serious health risks when crushed and then snorted like cocaine, or injected like heroin.

explain what ? meth is a powerful stimulate for ever person..nowhere here does it say that "if you need it the effects are different" as you claim and like any drug if its snorted or especially injected it goes directly to the blood stream and is therefore more potent in its effect..all this does is confirm its a powerful cocaine like drug that junkies like...a good rule of thumb...if junkies want it its not good for kids

bullshit

How would you know? Why would i lie about that? Sorry to inform you, i am not making this up.....but you can think what you want.

eots uses essays written by high school juniors, youtube videos, and internet poets to support his claims.

Everyone else uses data from the Center for Disease Control and World-wide health organizations.

Figuring out who has credability is not difficult.

We are only going to treat symptoms based on "valid medical tests?"

:cuckoo:

Try getting an X-ray of schizophenia

Anyone who believes there is some magic test for all brain disorders has a brain disorder.

there is a big difference between treating symptoms and claiming something is a medical condition..... medication

:cuckoo:

Huh? ANY condition manifests itself with SYMPTOMS.

moron.

No you really don't know shit about the medical condition of anyone, unless you are a DR and have examined them.

Neither do I.
no link ..no credibility not even a youtube video

Yeah...so what is the test for ADHD? It's not a brain disorder. It's a condition that consists of a variety of "symptoms" that, each taken alone or even in groups, signify nothing. It's when they are all evident in the body of one child that they want to medicate.

They're difficult behaviors. That's no reason to fry your kid's brain.

Well, I guess you know more than the entire Center for Disease Control and World Health Organization:

About half of mental disorders begin before the age of 14. Around 20% of the world's children and adolescents are estimated to have mental disorders or problems, with similar types of disorders being reported across cultures.

explain what ? meth is a powerful stimulate for ever person..nowhere here does it say that "if you need it the effects are different" as you claim and like any drug if its snorted or especially injected it goes directly to the blood stream and is therefore more potent in its effect..all this does is confirm its a powerful cocaine like drug that junkies like...a good rule of thumb...if junkies want it its not good for kids

Actually yes, a stimulant has the opposite effect on a person with hyperactivity. I don't know why, I just know it does.

I think eots is completely insane but I tend to agree with him (cautiously) on this subject.

I have never seen much good come of medicating children for ADHD. I think the cure is worse than the *disease*...which really isn't a disease at all, it's BEHAVIOR, genetics, environment, patterning...or a combination of them all.

My youngest is 9 years old. He has been in cosntant motion since birth. He tends to jump up and throw himself into physical activity just at the point of sleep...as a baby he would roll in a circle for hours if we didn't stop him, physically. He would watch Pinnochio straight through from the age of 6 months.

He jumps and bounces continually; I couldn't take him to church until he was about 7 because I couldn't effectively restrain him, and it was just too exhausting to manage him.

He has a hitch in his getalong...people can't see it unless they're pretty darned observant but it causes him to fall and not be as fast as he might be; he wears glasses.

He's smart, though..and he doesn't have any trouble concentrating. He likes to make really obnoxious, loud, senseless noises (waAAAAAHHHHHHHHH) over and over, he has a tendency to shout but doesn't have any hearing issues.

So he's a hyperactive kid.

My daughter is supremely hyperactive...she doesn't quit moving from the time she wakes up until she falls asleep. She doesn't have any difficulty sleeping though...but right up until the time she falls asleep, she is up and racing around doing stuff.

I had many people suggest I have the kids tested, and many people say "oh my gosh, what is WRONG with them?"...including my MOTHER, who is a NURSE. I maintained that there's nothing wrong with THEM. They are themselves, different, and unique, and very active and inquisitive and physical...they each have different things that can be considered *faults* or *disorders*...if I chose to seek diagnosis. But those very faults and disorders can be CHANNELED into positive character traits, and that is what I have been busting my ass to do since they were born.

I've aged. I don't have time to go to the gym or date, and I don't have the energy or the desire to. All my (considerable) focus, attention and concentration is on shaping them, with all their *faults*..into successful, productive members of society...without saddling them with the stigma of a diagnosis at a young age that will seriously curtail any chance they have of being successful or productive.

Don't get the diagnosis. Don't medicate him, unless he's having seizures (and even then, unless they're grand mal, medication isn't always the way to go). He doesn't need that shit. He needs to learn to cope with the issues he has. Tell the teachers to fuck themselves, they have no business suggesting anybody get kids treated for behavior disorders, unless they're attacking other children or cutting up cats on the playground. If they are pressuring you, pull him out of that school and get him in somewhere else.

That's my advice, as a mother I expect you to make up your own mind and I have no personal stake in it and won't presume to second guess you if you choose a different path. But keep in mind that my advice is based on working with special needs men and youth (who have years and years of medications under their belt), and as a parent of 3 absolutely challenging children, one of which had seizure disorder.

I know very well if I had taken my children into the doctor at the ages of 3 and 4, or even last year, I could easily have gotten a prescription from them, based on my statements and the statements of teachers/care providers etc. I chose not to, and I am thankful every single day that I didn't. They are developing into strong, bright individuals, and they are learning to cope with the issues they have...the impulse control issues (yup, we have that) and the sleep issues (yup) and the manic behavior (uh huh) and the racing thoughts (mm hmm)...

But it will age you. You're the one who is going to bear the brunt of their issues, if you choose to cope with your son's problems rather than medicate them. Because you're going to constantly be addressing various and assorted issues...giving him work arounds, staying up with him, walking him through difficulties, all that...it's going to land straight on you and you're not going to get any sleep. You'd get to sleep once in a while if you get the meds, because there will be times when he's completely doped up. And he will always know there's something wrong with him, because that medication will be there every single day, and there will always be people monitoring him, and drawing his blood, and adjusting his meds...

Make the world adjust to him, and help him to adjust as he must to the world. But don't medicate him at the behest of teachers, and for the sake of getting a little sleep.

It wasn't a teacher that requested this, because my son was not a problem in class, other than if he wasn't interested in what was going on he'd wander off and do his own thing. The big problem was, he was about 6 or 7, wasn't learning to read and struggling with all his assignments. He would cry in the morning because he didn't want to go to school! My Dr. has studied ADD for years because his son has a combination of that and a few other problems, so he stayed up on all of it, he knew how to treat it.

Ritalin did help my son a LOT, it helped him to learn to cope and concentrate when he needed to. We didn't give it to him on weekends or summer, only when he went to school. Children shouldn't stay on it for years and years, and he knew when he was ready to stop. It helped him excel in school, and when he stopped taking it, he was able to continue to overcome it.

Some kids can't take these drugs at all, my son had no side effects besides it would kinda slow him down, and he did get so he hated that....especially because he loved sports. My nephew couldn't take it. I actually think he was misdiagnosed, but his system seemed to reject anything they tried, almost to a point where he was mean. He's close to 30 yrs old now, and still has troubles...getting into trouble, and he's not very social.

It's not for everyone....but all i can say is i didn't fry my sons brain with it....otherwise he wouldn't be where he is today.

eots uses essays written by high school juniors, youtube videos, and internet poets to support his claims.

Everyone else uses data from the Center for Disease Control and World-wide health organizations.

Figuring out who has credability is not difficult.

Samson uses ad hominem attacks to avoid addressing any of the indisputable facts I just presented...

Actually yes, a stimulant has the opposite effect on a person with hyperactivity. I don't know why, I just know it does.

actually... no it does not...LINK ?

No you really don't know shit about the medical condition of anyone, unless you are a DR and have examined them.

Neither do I.
no link ..no credibility not even a youtube video

Yeah...so what is the test for ADHD? It's not a brain disorder. It's a condition that consists of a variety of "symptoms" that, each taken alone or even in groups, signify nothing. It's when they are all evident in the body of one child that they want to medicate.

They're difficult behaviors. That's no reason to fry your kid's brain.

Well, I guess you know more than the entire Center for Disease Control and World Health Organization:

About half of mental disorders begin before the age of 14. Around 20% of the world's children and adolescents are estimated to have mental disorders or problems, with similar types of disorders being reported across cultures.

Bible of Psychiatry the DSM-5,

The DSM i
s used in the United States and to various degrees around the world. It is used or relied upon by clinicians, researchers, psychiatric drug regulation agencies, health insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies, and policy makers. The current version is the DSM-IV-TR (fourth edition, text revision). The current DSM is organized into a five-part axial system. The first axis incorporates 'clinical disorders. The second axis covers personality disorders and intellectual disabilities. The remaining axes cover medical, psychosocial, environmental, and childhood factors functionally necessary to provide diagnostic criteria for health care assessments.

So lets ask Dr Francis chairman of the dsm V

In support of the criticisms Dr Frances wrote: ‘We are already in the midst of a false epidemic of ADD. Rates in kids that were 3-5% when DSM IV was published in 1994 have now jumped to 10%. In part this came from changes in DSM IV, but most of the inflation was caused by a marketing blitz to practitioners that accompanied new on-patent drugs amplified by new regulations that also allowed direct to consumer advertising to parents and teachers. In a sensible world, DSM 5 would now offer much tighter criteria for ADD and much clearer advice on the steps needed in its differential diagnosis……. The DSM 5 child and adolescent work group has perversely gone just the other way. It proposes to make an already far too easy diagnosis much looser. How puzzling and troubling.’ (Full blog by Dr Frances available at DSM 5 Will Further Inflate The ADD Bubble | Psychology Today )

He had previously (February 2010) raised concerns about the DSM5 proposal for ADHD along with 18 other DSM5 proposals including; Psychosis Risk Syndrome, Mixed Anxiety Depressive Disorder, Minor Neurocognitive Disorder, Binge Eating Disorder, Temper Dysfunctional Disorder, Paraphilic Coercive Disorder, Hypersexuality Disorder, Behavioral Addiction Conditions, Addiction Disorder, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Pedohebephilia and medicalising normal grief. (see Opening Pandora?s Box: The 19 Worst Suggestions For DSM5 - Psychiatric Times )

5, Dr Frances has identified that the DSMIV process he lead inadvertently helped ‘trigger three false epidemics. One for Autistic Disorder… another for the childhood diagnosis of Bi-Polar Disorder and the third for the wild over-diagnosis of Attention Deficit Disorder.’1

‘The putative diagnoses presented in DSM-V are clearly based largely on social norms, with ‘symptoms’ that all rely on subjective judgements, with little confirmatory physical ‘signs’ or evidence of biological causation. The criteria are not value-free, but rather reflect current normative social expectations. Many researchers have pointed out that psychiatric diagnoses are plagued by problems of reliability, validity, prognostic value, and co-morbidity.’

Here's the other side, from the National Library of Medicine.

An update on central nervous system stimulant formulations in children and adolescents with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.

Chavez B, Sopko MA Jr, Ehret MJ, Paulino RE, Goldberg KR, Angstadt K, Bogart GT.

CONCLUSIONS:

Stimulants are effective medications to treat the symptoms of ADHD. The multiple available dosage forms allow for individualization of treatment.
OBJECTIVE:

To review recent literature on the different stimulant preparations regarding efficacy and safety in children and adolescents with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and describe advantages and disadvantages of the many available dosage formulations.

DATA SOURCES:

Literature retrieval was performed through PubMed/MEDLINE (2005-December 2008) using the terms methylphenidate, amphetamines, central nervous system stimulants, and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. In addition, reference citations from publications identified were reviewed and drug manufacturers were contacted for any possible additional references.

STUDY SELECTION AND DATA EXTRACTION:

Double-blind clinical trials found using the search criteria listed above were included for review. Open-label studies and studies prior to 2005 were included if no double-blind trials were published for that formulation within the time period reviewed.

DATA SYNTHESIS:

The literature reviewed here demonstrates the efficacy and safety of stimulant medications in children and adolescents with ADHD. However, there are 19 different formulations of stimulants, leading to confusion and errors in prescribing and dispensing of these drugs. Knowing and understanding the advantages and disadvantages of the different formulations can lead to individualized treatment. Formulations like Concerta, Focalin-XR, Adderall-XR, and Vyvanse provide the convenience of once-daily dosing. Each of these provides varying amount of stimulants at different times of the day. Vyvanse has a unique delivery system that may lower the risk of patients abusing their medication. Daytrana gives patients more control over their dosing by being able to choose when the patch is removed; it is also a feasible alternative for children who cannot swallow pills. For patients who cannot swallow tablets or capsules, the capsules of Focalin-XR, Adderall-XR, Metadate-CD, and Ritalin-LA can be opened and sprinkled on applesauce.

Here's the other side, from the National Library of Medicine.

An update on central nervous system stimulant formulations in children and adolescents with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.

Chavez B, Sopko MA Jr, Ehret MJ, Paulino RE, Goldberg KR, Angstadt K, Bogart GT.

CONCLUSIONS:

Stimulants are effective medications to treat the symptoms of ADHD. The multiple available dosage forms allow for individualization of treatment.
OBJECTIVE:

To review recent literature on the different stimulant preparations regarding efficacy and safety in children and adolescents with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and describe advantages and disadvantages of the many available dosage formulations.

DATA SOURCES:

Literature retrieval was performed through PubMed/MEDLINE (2005-December 2008) using the terms methylphenidate, amphetamines, central nervous system stimulants, and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. In addition, reference citations from publications identified were reviewed and drug manufacturers were contacted for any possible additional references.

STUDY SELECTION AND DATA EXTRACTION:

Double-blind clinical trials found using the search criteria listed above were included for review. Open-label studies and studies prior to 2005 were included if no double-blind trials were published for that formulation within the time period reviewed.

DATA SYNTHESIS:

The literature reviewed here demonstrates the efficacy and safety of stimulant medications in children and adolescents with ADHD. However, there are 19 different formulations of stimulants, leading to confusion and errors in prescribing and dispensing of these drugs. Knowing and understanding the advantages and disadvantages of the different formulations can lead to individualized treatment. Formulations like Concerta, Focalin-XR, Adderall-XR, and Vyvanse provide the convenience of once-daily dosing. Each of these provides varying amount of stimulants at different times of the day. Vyvanse has a unique delivery system that may lower the risk of patients abusing their medication. Daytrana gives patients more control over their dosing by being able to choose when the patch is removed; it is also a feasible alternative for children who cannot swallow pills. For patients who cannot swallow tablets or capsules, the capsules of Focalin-XR, Adderall-XR, Metadate-CD, and Ritalin-LA can be opened and sprinkled on applesauce.

there is no link to the study and it was clearly funded by the drug companies
you have no Idea what you just posted do you ?...and the chairman of The DSM
Is not the "other side..' he is honorable man admitting his errors

Last edited:
Provide a fact, and we'll be right with you.

Ritalin, or methylphenidate, is often used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity
disorder (ADHD) and attention deficit disorder (ADD). Some of the many long-term
effects of Ritalin use are reduced cerebral blood flow, increased energy consumption in
many areas of the brain, permanent loss of brain tissue, life-long increased sensitivity to
cocaine, and life-long increased rates of depression and anxiety.

Wow, a drug with side effects.

No shit, Sherlock.

No shit, Sherlock.

You want to live with those side effects?

Well first I'd need to take RITALIN from a Doctor willing to be sued for malpractice.

If there was any credance to the moronic claim, then no physcian in his right mind would be perscribing RITILAN, and the FDA would pull it from the market.

However, given the fact that eots posted this, and has no credability, I wouldn't be too concerned if a reputable doctor perscribed this medication, and followed up (like they all do) with regular examinations, blood work, or whatever other proceedures are necessary.

No shit, Sherlock.

You want to live with those side effects?

Well first I'd need to take RITALIN from a Doctor willing to be sued for malpractice.

If there was any credance to the moronic claim, then no physcian in his right mind would be perscribing RITILAN, and the FDA would pull it from the market.

However, given the fact that eots posted this, and has no credability, I wouldn't be too concerned if a reputable doctor perscribed this medication, and followed up (like they all do) with regular examinations, blood work, or whatever other proceedures are necessary.

you mean this FDA ?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxWDsgBx4rk]FDA Whistleblower Spying Scandal - YouTube[/ame]

BILLIONS HAVE BEEN PAID OUT BY DRUG COMPANIES FOR PSYCH DRUG CLAIMS THEY HAVE BEEN FOUND CRIMINAL LIABLE..AND IT CHANGED NOTHING AND IS JUST A COST OF DOING BUSINESS

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHolKz6SZDs]Eli Lilly $1.42 Billion Zyprexa Settlement - Stephen Sheller on Fox News - YouTube[/ame]

On The Validity of Brain Scans as Proofs of Psychiatric Theories

On the Validity of Brain Scans as Proofs of Psychiatric Theories by Dean Blehert

"Dean Blehert" wrote an essay and put it online.

Who the fuck is Dean Blehert?

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

I present information from the World Health Organization and Center for Disease Control, and eots posts an essay written by a high school junior.

:lol::lol::lol:

so this is how you avoid the congress condemnation of your beloved FDA ?? the criminal liability resulting in billions in settlements in psych drug claims..how very lame of you

Forum List

Back