My Firefox has been crashing a lot lately

Paulie

Diamond Member
May 19, 2007
Is there something I haven't done yet, possibly?

It fucking crashed on me yesterday while I was in the middle of typing out a huge discussion board response in one of my online classes. I lost the whole damn thing and had to re-do it with much less vigor than it had previously.

I like how when it crashes it will attempt to re-open the tabs you had going, but it seems like the times it crashes without being able to save my tab work is only during the most important times.

Any suggestions, because otherwise I love this browser. It beats IE in every way except this. IE NEVER crashed this often.

IE crashes every time I use it.

Have you updated the latest version of Firefox?

:lol: Rav I'm sorry, it's really hard to take you seriously when that av keeps popping up.

to answer your question though, not that I know of. Does it typically prompt you to?

An earlier version of FireFox used to crash quite often. My solution was to uninstall it then reinstall, that helped for a while. One thing I've noticed is that if you have too many plug-ins that could make it a bit unstable.

The current version, 3.5.3 works just fine on Vista and XP.

Last edited:
An earlier version of FireFox used to crash quite often. My solution was to uninstall it then reinstall, that helped for a while. One thing I've noticed is that if you have too many plug-ins that could make it a bit unstable.
I have a BUNCH of plug-ins, never had a stability issue. FF has always been a rock and I have been using it for many years.

I am thinking alot of it probably has to do with how much resources a system has.

IE crashes every time I use it.

Have you updated the latest version of Firefox?

:lol: Rav I'm sorry, it's really hard to take you seriously when that av keeps popping up.

to answer your question though, not that I know of. Does it typically prompt you to?

A couple of things, usually yes it does notify you when an update is available if you have that turned on but more importantly you may be having a software or hardware conflict issue. Have you downloaded anything new lately? Also what are the specs on your machine and how old is it? I've never had a problem with IE or Firefox crashing but I have had problems due to system resource issues and bad hardware. It could be your machine has gotten so old it can't handle anything new like updates and software. The one they provide us at work to play on is old and it doesn't matter if I'm using IE or Firefox it locks them up all the time. The last thing is you could have picked up a virus.

Last edited:

It fucking crashed on me yesterday while I was in the middle of typing out a huge discussion board response in one of my online classes. I lost the whole damn thing and had to re-do it with much less vigor than it had previously.

I like how when it crashes it will attempt to re-open the tabs you had going, but it seems like the times it crashes without being able to save my tab work is only during the most important times.

Any suggestions, because otherwise I love this browser. It beats IE in every way except this. IE NEVER crashed this often.

You're just jjinxed. ;)

You may try re-installing your Firefox, or try disabling all your tools/add-ons. Also, you should know the rule of thumb for computers by now, save, save, save, ... if you are going to type up something important and long, use your text editor and save a draft copy, because shit happens. :cool:

You're just jjinxed. ;)

You may try re-installing your Firefox, or try disabling all your tools/add-ons. Also, you should know the rule of thumb for computers by now, save, save, save, ... if you are going to type up something important and long, use your text editor and save a draft copy, because shit happens. :cool:

I save frequently, but this was something I could type up fast enough that I didn't think I needed to. It was just a class discussion board post. The problem was that I just couldn't remember all the specifics I had mentioned in the original.

Anyway, I have the current FF version, and only 2 plugins currently: FoxyProxy and WOT.

I read that it can sometimes crash if theres too many tabs open, but I generally don't use any more than 3 and IE used to handle WAY more than that. And my system is pretty damn new. It's certainly not the top of the line computer BRAND, but I've got no resource issues. I have more than enough capability to handle this program. I also have a very clean computer, I use Avira and several different spyware programs and I'm probably as clean as my kid's ass after a diaper change.

Next time it crashes, if it does, I'll copy and past the error message and details and maybe you might be able to help me out, KK? I assume since you code you would know a lot about those kinds of specifics.

Only thing I remember really when it crashed is that it said "appcrash" followed by a bunch of mumbo jumbo. I'll paste the mumbo jumbo next time and hopefully you can help me.

You're just jjinxed. ;)

I save frequently, but this was something I could type up fast enough that I didn't think I needed to. It was just a class discussion board post. The problem was that I just couldn't remember all the specifics I had mentioned in the original.

Anyway, I have the current FF version, and only 2 plugins currently: FoxyProxy and WOT.

I read that it can sometimes crash if theres too many tabs open, but I generally don't use any more than 3 and IE used to handle WAY more than that. And my system is pretty damn new. It's certainly not the top of the line computer BRAND, but I've got no resource issues. I have more than enough capability to handle this program. I also have a very clean computer, I use Avira and several different spyware programs and I'm probably as clean as my kid's ass after a diaper change.

Next time it crashes, if it does, I'll copy and past the error message and details and maybe you might be able to help me out, KK? I assume since you code you would know a lot about those kinds of specifics.

Only thing I remember really when it crashed is that it said "appcrash" followed by a bunch of mumbo jumbo. I'll paste the mumbo jumbo next time and hopefully you can help me.

Paulie, what operating system are you using?

It's hard for me to understand why anyone running FF wouldn't get the AdBlockPlus! add-on. It completely stops any adverts from loading on your computer, vastly improving performance because you're not sucking in a ton of sludge daily from the internet.

Try this first, and remember: when you get AdBlock it won't do anything until you choose a free filter subscription. The best one is EasyListUSA and it's easy to load, whole deal takes about 5 minutes.

You'll then enter the world of 21st Century web browsing.

MM is right. I just added ad-block last week and it runs faster and now I don't have to ignore all the junk mail because it's not there.

I've had FF shut down a few times because it encountered a problem. Is that crashing? Only happened maybe three times but logged back on and all was fine.

Our laptop has been freezing up lately. No clue why. It's random . . . sometimes when I'm signing off of the net or itunes, sometimes when I'm trying to open the net. And nothing works . . can't even get the task mgr. to come up. You can click on anything and nothing happens. I shut it down and bring it back up and it's fine. Weird.

It's hard for me to understand why anyone running FF wouldn't get the AdBlockPlus! add-on. It completely stops any adverts from loading on your computer, vastly improving performance because you're not sucking in a ton of sludge daily from the internet.

Try this first, and remember: when you get AdBlock it won't do anything until you choose a free filter subscription. The best one is EasyListUSA and it's easy to load, whole deal takes about 5 minutes.

Just did it, so cool man, thanks for the help.

I also hadn't done a registry cleaner in a while either, so that may have been where my problems were coming from.

So I guess I wasn't TOTALLY clean. I forget the reg cleaner sometimes.

Just did it, so cool man, thanks for the help.

I also hadn't done a registry cleaner in a while either, so that may have been where my problems were coming from.

So I guess I wasn't TOTALLY clean. I forget the reg cleaner sometimes.
You got the EasyList filter too?

See any ads? Hint: You won't.

The filter updates daily and you'll never know it. AdBlock is a set and forget deal, but you can also do custom blocks such as annoying images in posts, avatars, signatures, etc on an individual basis.

AdBlock is simply too handy of a tool to do without, and it really will help your computer's performance tremendously. Might even put an end to your FF crashes.

Oh and, while you're at it get CoolPreviews. This lets you preview links without clicking, ending the need for many tabs. Very handy browsing too.

Yeah i got the EasyList too.

I'll do CoolPreviews in the morning, I can't F-ing believe I'm still awake right now.

Forum List

Back