"mutts like me."

JimH52

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2007
US
'Mutts like me' - Obama shows ease discussing race - Yahoo! News

"Obviously, a lot of shelter dogs are mutts like me," Obama said with a smile. "So whether we're going to be able to balance those two things, I think, is a pressing issue on the Obama household."

This was the mmost telling statement in the entire press conference. Here is a man who was elected to the Presidency of the United States, a Harvard educated lawyer who has made history as the first African American President and he has the humility and ease to describe himself as a "mutt."

Can you imagine one of the Bush family, Clintons, or even the Kennedys using such self defacing descriptions? It will never happen.

A man that cannot laugh at himself is an idiot. Obama is going to do well!

This was the mmost telling statement in the entire press conference. Here is a man who was elected to the Presidency of the United States, a Harvard educated lawyer who has made history as the first African American President and he has the humility and ease to describe himself as a "mutt."

Can you imagine one of the Bush family, Clintons, or even the Kennedys using such self defacing descriptions? It will never happen.

Bush DID use self-deprecating descriptions of himself---a lot !
Another one of those times you had you blinders on I guess. We'll see how he takes it when someone else calls him a mutt. Then I might be impressed.

Who is this Bush guy you are talking about? Oh yeah, the outgoing President. How soon we forget!

self deprecating with the smirk. Yeah, that always cracked me up.

But that's kind of the point. Some people reacted to bush's comments with nausea, and others thought it was charming. Same for Obama. One man's charm is another man's repulsiveness.

It doesn't matter what Obama does or says to those who already consider him a failure. They will continue to sabotage any thing he says or does.

Screw them and the elephant they rode in on.

If he screws up, I will admit it. If he does well I will post it all over the board.:eusa_whistle:

I for one find it racist and bigot minded to say such a thing.

I am deeply insulted by this, Send a Bus!!!!!

Last edited:

maybe he was trying to reach out too joe sixpack..

most people born in this country are mutts, it's a fact. Heinz 57 variety is what my mother used to call us. We're a mix of German, Irish, and Native American.

I think he'll have a hard time finding a purebred, non-allergic type dog at a shelter. I predicte they'll fall in love with a big old fluffy pooch and . . . allergies be damned. lol They should get two dogs, one for each kid.

Why does Obama refer to himself as black instead of bi-racial?

I think he'll have a hard time finding a purebred, non-allergic type dog at a shelter. I predicte they'll fall in love with a big old fluffy pooch and . . . allergies be damned. lol They should get two dogs, one for each kid.

Pitbulls are hypoallergenic, have very short fur and if you bring them up right, you'll have an AMAZING dog on your hands.

Pitbulls are hypoallergenic, have very short fur and if you bring them up right, you'll have an AMAZING dog on your hands.

Ooo, I hadn't thought of pitbulls. Sadly there are lots of them in shelters and they have bad reps, often not warranted. If they could look past the dog's rep and find the right one, they should definintely get two! Our dog is from the SPCA, she's some kind of collie mix. She is the BEST dog in the world, I love her to death. Trying to talk hubby into a second dog . . . so far, he is resistent. We will wear him down! :D

Perhaps because society as a whole sees him as black? that said, I don't recall, in all his speeches hearing him refer to himself as black.

No I never heard him refer to himself as black or bi-racial in any of his speeches either. Than again, I wasn't listening for it because I don't care. :) Somewhere I read that he refers to himself as being black and that the term bi-racial made him bristle. I'll try and find where I read it. Crap, I really have to start bookmarking things more. <sigh> I was just curious is all.

Found some links on this but not the one I was looking for.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=17958438

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/09/btsc.obama.race/index.html

Last edited:
oh yeah, a pitbull in the whitehouse

i'm sure that would go over well
:lol:
anyone remember Michael Vick?

Forum List

Back