Voting Reform

USJD

Rookie
Oct 27, 2008
With the 2008 Election cycle to an almost close I think all Americans are glad to see there were no major election problems. However, our system of voting is far from perfect and the President elect and Congress need to address some issues in the way we vote.

UNIFORM VOTING HOURS AND EARLY VOTING - Congress should mandate that all states hold early voting and that the polls be open from 7:00 AM to 9PM at voting locations. This will give ample time for everyone to vote, and as far as voting goes the more people we can get to vote the better our country is.

AUTOMATIC VOTING FOR NEW AMERICAN CITIZENS - For a while Immigration groups were registering new citizens right after they took the oath of citizenship but stopped. I think all new citizens should be registered to vote immediately after being sworn in.

VOTING FOR FELONS - Jim Crow lives on and states have differing laws on this. "Do the crime do the time" but once the sentence has been served the debt to society is OVER and full voting rights should be restored.

AVAILABILITY OF VOTING MACHINES - The allocation of voting machines should be based upon an uniform allocation of machines on the basis of past voting behaviors at each voting location.

REDUCTION OF NATURALIZATION FEES - It costs around $1400.00 to become a citizen and this fee was raised to keep primarily Hispanics from applying for citizenship because they tend to vote Democratic. I think Congress should look at reducing the costs involved, the raising of fees was a move by the GOP to keep those who got legal resident status in the Reagan era Immigration Amnesty program from becoming citizens.

With the 2008 Election cycle to an almost close I think all Americans are glad to see there were no major election problems. However, our system of voting is far from perfect and the President elect and Congress need to address some issues in the way we vote.

UNIFORM VOTING HOURS AND EARLY VOTING - Congress should mandate that all states hold early voting and that the polls be open from 7:00 AM to 9PM at voting locations. This will give ample time for everyone to vote, and as far as voting goes the more people we can get to vote the better our country is.

AUTOMATIC VOTING FOR NEW AMERICAN CITIZENS - For a while Immigration groups were registering new citizens right after they took the oath of citizenship but stopped. I think all new citizens should be registered to vote immediately after being sworn in.

VOTING FOR FELONS - Jim Crow lives on and states have differing laws on this. "Do the crime do the time" but once the sentence has been served the debt to society is OVER and full voting rights should be restored.

AVAILABILITY OF VOTING MACHINES - The allocation of voting machines should be based upon an uniform allocation of machines on the basis of past voting behaviors at each voting location.

REDUCTION OF NATURALIZATION FEES - It costs around $1400.00 to become a citizen and this fee was raised to keep primarily Hispanics from applying for citizenship because they tend to vote Democratic. I think Congress should look at reducing the costs involved, the raising of fees was a move by the GOP to keep those who got legal resident status in the Reagan era Immigration Amnesty program from becoming citizens.
uh, you had me on many things till that last one
until recently, Hispanics voted REPUBLICAN
and since you claim it was a move by the GOP, you will need to provide some links to back that up

UNIFORM VOTING HOURS AND EARLY VOTING I'd go further: No state should report voting results until ALL states have completed voting.

AUTOMATIC VOTING FOR NEW AMERICAN CITIZENS Agreed. However it should not be mandatory for them to register to vote.

VOTING FOR FELONS Disagree.

AVAILABILITY OF VOTING MACHINES Agree.

REDUCTION OF NATURALIZATION FEES
you will need to provide some links to back that up

With the 2008 Election cycle to an almost close I think all Americans are glad to see there were no major election problems. However, our system of voting is far from perfect and the President elect and Congress need to address some issues in the way we vote. Right off I have to disagree on the grounds that this is a states issue and not authorized to the fed by the constitution.

UNIFORM VOTING HOURS AND EARLY VOTING - Congress should mandate that all states hold early voting and that the polls be open from 7:00 AM to 9PM at voting locations. This will give ample time for everyone to vote, and as far as voting goes the more people we can get to vote the better our country is. I love early voting. But I cannot abide the Congress getting involved in my local issues. I have observed that those who wish to vote will vote no matter what. It isn't a matter of convenience. Those who don't vote simply don't want to.

AUTOMATIC VOTING FOR NEW AMERICAN CITIZENS - For a while Immigration groups were registering new citizens right after they took the oath of citizenship but stopped. I think all new citizens should be registered to vote immediately after being sworn in. Again, this is a states issue and not authorised to the fed via the constitution. It is a great idea in general as long as it is implemented state by state.

VOTING FOR FELONS - Jim Crow lives on and states have differing laws on this. "Do the crime do the time" but once the sentence has been served the debt to society is OVER and full voting rights should be restored. Totally agree.

AVAILABILITY OF VOTING MACHINES - The allocation of voting machines should be based upon an uniform allocation of machines on the basis of past voting behaviors at each voting location. Agreed, and the State is the one who should be doing this based on info from the local election board.

REDUCTION OF NATURALIZATION FEES - It costs around $1400.00 to become a citizen and this fee was raised to keep primarily Hispanics from applying for citizenship because they tend to vote Democratic. I think Congress should look at reducing the costs involved, the raising of fees was a move by the GOP to keep those who got legal resident status in the Reagan era Immigration Amnesty program from becoming citizens. The higher the accusation, the higher the standard of proof

Each idea, excepting the last, has merit. I would only caution you that the more power you hand the fed, the more they will hold on to you. Contact your State government on this issue. You can make a difference, and further individualize your state.

The only federal rule I would consider implementing is banning the release of info until the last polling place in the last state is closed. Voters in Hawaii for example are often still voting when the networks are calling the election.

Forum List

Back