Muslim Woman Teacher Gets Fired for a Haj.

You do get religious holidays if you are a Christian, or not. Paid too.

Really? Since when? The only time anyone gets a religious holiday off work is when the employer shuts the business that day. And no...we damn sure dont get paid unless we are on salary. What world do you live in???

I get paid for Christmas, whether I work it or not.

Yeah those union deals work out don't they.

Ill ask again. If she RESIGNED, WHY IS SHE SUING?

The OP sites no source that confirms that she is sueing.

Unless you believe quano-breath knows WTF he's talking about, and if that's true you've got WAY bigger problems than "Why She Is Sueing."

Obviously he doesnt know what he is talking about. Not sure about guano breath, though.

Youre the one who thinks they know all the details.

Holder Sues So Muslim Teacher Can Make a Pilgrimage to Mecca - Muslims - Fox Nation

Critics of a U.S. Justice Department lawsuit on behalf of a Muslim teacher in Illinois say it is politically motivated.

Government lawyers filed the religious discrimination suit in December on behalf of Safoorah Khan, The Washington Post reported Wednesday. Khan quit her job in Berkeley, a suburb of Chicago, when she was refused time off to make a pilgrimage to Mecca.

Washington Post: Stretching the law | StarTribune.com

Safoorah Khan began work as a math teacher for the Berkeley, Ill., public schools in November 2007.

Nine months later, Khan, a Muslim, asked to be off the first three school weeks of December 2008 so that she could fulfill her religious duty to make a pilgrimage to Mecca.

I think its bullshit. If her vacation time does not cover it then she is no different then any one else. Your job is on the line. And in my opinion she did deserve to be fired.

But i see this crap going to court as religious discrimination. And she will more then likely win.
What if she were fired for refusing to attend a special meeting or class on a Saturday because she was a Seventh Day Adventist?

One day is different then 3 weeks.

BUT i really don't care what regional someone is. You work when you are told to work, not when its good for you. Otherwise be subject to termination.

She would have to wait 9 years because thats how the Muslim calendar works. In 9 years she would probably have children. She went because she could afford to go. Its very simple. You arent her so how can you judge?

She made the best decision she could, I believe.

Why would she have to wait 9 years? What calendar are you looking at that makes an annual pilgrimage happen once every nine years for the rest of the world? Would it absolutely destroy your premise to point out that many families make the pilgrimage, how would her having children prevent her from going?

This calendar.
Islamic calendar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The pilgrimage happens every year but on different days because of the calendar.

Which is not every 9 years, which actually makes me right.

By the way, if she had waited a few years she could have gone in the summer, instead of trying to force the district to leave the math lab without proper supervision just before the finals. Does the fact that she is the only teacher qualified for that particular job in that district make her more or less unreasonable in her insistence at talking time off that year?

Its a little sticky but she asked for 3 weeks unpaid leave and when she couldnt get that she resigned.

This country was made up of "foreign" beliefs, Grace. Youre just used to the ones we have.

This was something she had to do for her religious beliefs. I dont see why you people think shes so evil. Wait, shes Muslim....right.....

I dont even believe in any religious hocus pocus but I sure can see how some of you think you have every right in the world to have it your way. F**k the rest, right?

The five pillars of Islam requires the Hajj before a person dies. Unless she was in danger of dying in the next year she did not have to do it when she did.

She decided to do it when she could afford it.

No, she decided to do it when she wanted to do it.

Again there is no reason she could not have put away the money and gone when school was out on summer break.

Really? Since when? The only time anyone gets a religious holiday off work is when the employer shuts the business that day. And no...we damn sure dont get paid unless we are on salary. What world do you live in???

I've worked every Easter for the last 15 years. And I'm catholic.

And? Why would you not work on Eostre's day?

I'm sure you work on many pagan holidays

So would jews
or buddhists
or scientologists
or any other religion.

The law says that an employer must make "reasonable accommodations" to someone's religious beliefs as long as it does not negatively impact the business. And also the religious accommodation must be considered an absolute of their belief. Like, you can't make a Jew eat pork on the job. Or you can't make a muslim eat anything during the day during Ramadan.

We've had people applying where I work that say they must have Sundays off because of church. We don't hire them. Why? Because the weekends are our busiest time. And it's not an absolute precondition of the Christian belief that they must attend church all day on Sunday. Thats just what the applicant wants to do.

Actually, the condition is that they cannot work on the last day of the week.

Most Christians know nothing about their own religion.

Remember the Sabbath...

And you know even less than they do, but thanks for playing.

'Cuz I want to hunt easter eggs with my kids.

But I don't, because I work. And I don't have a case to sue because it is not an absolute precondition of my religion that I do not work on that day.

But I don't, because I work. And I don't have a case to sue because it is not an absolute precondition of my religion that I do not work on that day.
Even if it were, if you took the job knowing you'd be unlikely to get that period off, that's on you

Why would she have to wait 9 years? What calendar are you looking at that makes an annual pilgrimage happen once every nine years for the rest of the world? Would it absolutely destroy your premise to point out that many families make the pilgrimage, how would her having children prevent her from going?

This calendar.
Islamic calendar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The pilgrimage happens every year but on different days because of the calendar.

Which is not every 9 years, which actually makes me right.

By the way, if she had waited a few years she could have gone in the summer, instead of trying to force the district to leave the math lab without proper supervision just before the finals. Does the fact that she is the only teacher qualified for that particular job in that district make her more or less unreasonable in her insistence at talking time off that year?

No, you are not right. If she were to go in the summer for the Hajj, it would take 9 more years for it to be in the summer.

I get paid for Christmas, whether I work it or not.
That is your employer's prerogative

The five pillars of Islam requires the Hajj before a person dies. Unless she was in danger of dying in the next year she did not have to do it when she did.

She decided to do it when she could afford it.

No, she decided to do it when she wanted to do it.

Again there is no reason she could not have put away the money and gone when school was out on summer break.

Are you so sure you wont be broke in 9 years? Or dead maybe?

She is suing for the same reason a Christian would sue if they were denied any religious event they tried to go to.

Youre argument is pretty weak and the judge would force you to pay.

The Christian would lose the suit.

As they should. As should this woman.

She knew the school calendar and took the job knowing it would be unlikely she could go to Haj this year. She asked for her schedule to be covered and that wasn't possible. She decided to out her faith above the worldly concerns surrounding her employment.

Let the court rule thusly and establish a precedent for all similar cases, regardless of the particular religion or event in question.

Absolutely.

As a matter of fact that is already the law I believe.

Even if it were, if you took the job knowing you'd be unlikely to get that period off, that's on you

Yup.

Forum List

Back