Muslim Woman Teacher Gets Fired for a Haj.

Its a little sticky but she asked for 3 weeks unpaid leave and when she couldnt get that she resigned.

This country was made up of "foreign" beliefs, Grace. Youre just used to the ones we have.

This was something she had to do for her religious beliefs. I dont see why you people think shes so evil. Wait, shes Muslim....right.....

I dont even believe in any religious hocus pocus but I sure can see how some of you think you have every right in the world to have it your way. F**k the rest, right?

The five pillars of Islam requires the Hajj before a person dies. Unless she was in danger of dying in the next year she did not have to do it when she did.

You do get religious holidays if you are a Christian, or not. Paid too.

Really? Since when? The only time anyone gets a religious holiday off work is when the employer shuts the business that day. And no...we damn sure dont get paid unless we are on salary. What world do you live in???

I've worked every Easter for the last 15 years. And I'm catholic.

I agree with you here. The problem being is this is a major thing for Muslims. I agree it takes 3 weeks and it pushes the limits. Its just sticky.

Then the muslim should apply for a job that will state in their employment contract that it is agreeable that the person can take 3 weeks off AT ANY TIME for religious beliefs. Otherwise, dont accept the job, then sue them when they do what was known would be done.

I know now that if I ever opened my business again, I would never hire a muslim. Thanks for the heads up. I cant afford to lose an employee for 3 weeks. Nor will I ever hire another person with a faith that requires them to have sundays off. Im sure Ill be sued if I said no. Dont need the headache. So again...thanks for helping me solve a potential future problem.

Really? Since when? The only time anyone gets a religious holiday off work is when the employer shuts the business that day. And no...we damn sure dont get paid unless we are on salary. What world do you live in???

I've worked every Easter for the last 15 years. And I'm catholic.

When I had my shop, I was open 365. I worked holidays myself. When I was employed at other places, I worked all holidays unless they closed for those days (usually xmas and new years day). Yes, I got paid when the places were open. No, I did not get paid if the business was closed.

Where did I say she was evil or it was because she is muslim? Link please.
I dont give a damn about her religious beliefs. You dont take 3 weeks off a job without earning it with time earned or it being said AHEAD of time of her hiring. She was told she could not go during that period or she would be terminated. She did it anyway.
The only one making it about her religion is.....hold on...are ya ready?....you.

I didnt quote you as saying those things. You didnt. You did say you were tired of all the foreign stuff, so tired.

Muslims have to do what she did at least once in their lives if they can afford it. She could afford it now so she went. If she were to wait until she could do it in her off season she would have had to wait 9 years. Who knows what it will be like for her then.

This was a religious function as well as being a 3 week event. This is why its a sticky situation.

Its also pretty obvious the venom about her being a Muslim. In my eyes at least.

Yes. I AM tired of it. Im tired of having to punch numbers on a phone just to talk to someone in english. Im tired of women with different faiths wanting their DMV pic taken WITH their scarf hiding their face and saying its only because its against their religion they are told to remove the scarf or no license. Im tired of the USA trying so hard to be PC while everone else stomps all over us. What happened to "Dont Tread On Me"? We are being tread upon big time. And Im tired of it.

Muslims have to do what she did at least once in their lives if they can afford it. She could afford it now so she went. If she were to wait until she could do it in her off season she would have had to wait 9 years. Who knows what it will be like for her then.

Thats her problem. Not our governments. She is taking up space, time and money to sue for something that is ludicrous. And I dont care how long it takes for her to do whatever her faith requires to do. It is not a sticky situation when someone takes almost a month off, is told she will be fired if she does it anyway, does it anyway, gets fired, then SUES.

Its also pretty obvious the venom about her being a Muslim. In my eyes at least
Then your eyes mislead you, at least viewing my stance on this. I dont give a damn if she worships the Flying Spaghetti Monster. If she is told she cannot go AT THAT TIME or else she will be fired, then there is no sticky. No confusion. She was told. Went. Now sues. In MY eyes, she knew beforehand what would happen and knew she would sue after she got what she wanted by leaving a job others are standing in line for.

And what about my rent? Can I not pay it? Or the bank payment for a new car? How about the loan on a house? Will those places wave what is due and will never be replaced just because of MY religion or faith? Dont bank on it. (Pun intended).

She wasnt fired, she resigned. Again, she didnt get fired.

I see the same things you see every day. I guess some people have a lower tolerance than others when it comes to cultural differences. Since I understand that this country is a melting pot I try to be respectful of everyone. Some people spit on them. Whatever.

Dont pay your rent, car payment or house payment. Say God told you not too. It should work.

I didnt quote you as saying those things. You didnt. You did say you were tired of all the foreign stuff, so tired.

This was a religious function as well as being a 3 week event. This is why its a sticky situation.

Its also pretty obvious the venom about her being a Muslim. In my eyes at least.

AAAAAAWWWWW she would have to wait 9 years.

No, if she could afford it she could have put the money away and done it when school was out for summer. Saying she had to go when she WANTED to go is total bullshit.

She would have to wait 9 years because thats how the Muslim calendar works. In 9 years she would probably have children. She went because she could afford to go. Its very simple. You arent her so how can you judge?

She made the best decision she could, I believe.

Why would she have to wait 9 years? What calendar are you looking at that makes an annual pilgrimage happen once every nine years for the rest of the world? Would it absolutely destroy your premise to point out that many families make the pilgrimage, how would her having children prevent her from going?

The Christian would lose the suit.

So would jews
or buddhists
or scientologists
or any other religion.

The law says that an employer must make "reasonable accommodations" to someone's religious beliefs as long as it does not negatively impact the business. And also the religious accommodation must be considered an absolute of their belief. Like, you can't make a Jew eat pork on the job. Or you can't make a muslim eat anything during the day during Ramadan.

We've had people applying where I work that say they must have Sundays off because of church. We don't hire them. Why? Because the weekends are our busiest time. And it's not an absolute precondition of the Christian belief that they must attend church all day on Sunday. Thats just what the applicant wants to do.

That is rather my point about this woman. She wanted to go when she wanted to go. She has her entire life to go as far as i know.

Its a little sticky but she asked for 3 weeks unpaid leave and when she couldnt get that she resigned.

This country was made up of "foreign" beliefs, Grace. Youre just used to the ones we have.

This was something she had to do for her religious beliefs. I dont see why you people think shes so evil. Wait, shes Muslim....right.....

I dont even believe in any religious hocus pocus but I sure can see how some of you think you have every right in the world to have it your way. F**k the rest, right?
Guess I spoke too soon about no one defending the idiot....

No. It isn't "Fuck the rest" (don't be afraid to spell it)
I don;t demand Sundays off or Easter or, when I worked where they were open for it, even Christmas.

And no it isn't something she "had" to do for her religious beliefs.
She isn't evil. She's the one feeling entitled. How does that reflect on "some of us"?

You may not demand those days off, thats your prerogative. You do get religious holidays if you are a Christian, or not. Paid too. There would be quite a shit storm if they decided to cancel all the religious holidays in this country.

I dont see how she felt entitled when she offered to take unpaid leave. Yes, all Muslims are required to do this at least once in their lives.

The sticky part is the length of time.

Once in a LIFETIME. That does not mean during the school year now does it? She has ample time during school breaks. Being paid was not the problem. It was her taking time off during the school year.

Where did I say she was evil or it was because she is muslim? Link please.
I dont give a damn about her religious beliefs. You dont take 3 weeks off a job without earning it with time earned or it being said AHEAD of time of her hiring. She was told she could not go during that period or she would be terminated. She did it anyway.
The only one making it about her religion is.....hold on...are ya ready?....you.

So is the Muslim Defense League coming to her defense?

Frankly, I doubt many muslims are proud that she's attracted this attention to herself: She couldn't take 3 weeks during the summer like every other teacher?

AAAAAAWWWWW she would have to wait 9 years.

No, if she could afford it she could have put the money away and done it when school was out for summer. Saying she had to go when she WANTED to go is total bullshit.

She would have to wait 9 years because thats how the Muslim calendar works. In 9 years she would probably have children. She went because she could afford to go. Its very simple. You arent her so how can you judge?

She made the best decision she could, I believe.

She went because she WANTED to. If she had children in 9 years..so what? Again if she could afford it, she could have put the money aside and waited until the summer break.

If she was told she would be terminated if she took off for 3 weeks, then she couldn't really afford it.

She resigned so I dont believe that really matters.

Well then if she resigned then she doesn't really have any sort case.

She may and she may not. This was a very important event to her and she may have been planning for it for years, since she was a little girl even.

There is a gray area here. Most likely the school had no malicious intentions here but the fact remains that this event was a religious event and they werent going to allow her to go.

I get paid for Christmas, whether I work it or not.

I think its bullshit. If her vacation time does not cover it then she is no different then any one else. Your job is on the line. And in my opinion she did deserve to be fired.

But i see this crap going to court as religious discrimination. And she will more then likely win.
What if she were fired for refusing to attend a special meeting or class on a Saturday because she was a Seventh Day Adventist?

She wasnt fired, she resigned. Again, she didnt get fired.

Then why is she suing????

I see the same things you see every day. I guess some people have a lower tolerance than others when it comes to cultural differences. Since I understand that this country is a melting pot I try to be respectful of everyone. Some people spit on them. Whatever.
When you get tired of carrying that big ol brush, let me know.

Dont pay your rent, car payment or house payment. Say God told you not too. It should work.
I dont take things and not pay for them. And I also dont put my employer in a bad situation due to my own selfishness then sue them when I quit.

The law says that an employer must make "reasonable accommodations" to someone's religious beliefs as long as it does not negatively impact the business. And also the religious accommodation must be considered an absolute of their belief. Like, you can't make a Jew eat pork on the job. Or you can't make a muslim eat anything during the day during Ramadan.

We've had people applying where I work that say they must have Sundays off because of church. We don't hire them. Why? Because the weekends are our busiest time. And it's not an absolute precondition of the Christian belief that they must attend church all day on Sunday. Thats just what the applicant wants to do.

I agree with you here. The problem being is this is a major thing for Muslims. I agree it takes 3 weeks and it pushes the limits. Its just sticky.

It's a major thing, but then thats why employers give you sick and vacation time.

And leave of absence.

She was a non-tenured teacher. New teachers are essentially on probation for three years. If she was serious about her job, she would never have done anything to jeopardize her tenure.

She should accept eternity in hell for disobeying her faith? You know, I once heard an explanation of the Mark of the Beast that sounded something like that...

The five pillars of Islam requires the Hajj before a person dies. Unless she was in danger of dying in the next year she did not have to do it when she did.

She decided to do it when she could afford it.

Well, lucky you.

Thus the term "Paid Holiday."

Forum List

Back