Muslim prayer in Seattle public schoos?

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
It will be interesting to see what guidelines are established, if any.

The Seattle Public Schools are forming a committee to examine prayer in school, particularly to "support the needs of our diverse students and families." But the committee is not organizing to examine the full diversity of the student body, only the needs of Muslim students:

Committee will propose guidelines for issue of prayer

The SPS Department of Race and Equity is looking for SEA members to participate in a "Prayer in Schools Committee," the charge of which is to look at how to address this issue District wide and to provide information about our Muslim students that will help teachers and building leaders make decisions that support the needs of our diverse students and families. The next meeting is scheduled for May 30th, 3:00 - 4:30. Contact Dr. Hollins at [email protected]

I wrote Dr. Hollins for clarification on the purpose of the committee and the need for it, but I have not yet had a response. I believe that students should be allowed to pray on school grounds on their own time, such as during recess, lunch, and between periods. However, the schools should stay neutral in matters of faith and not adjust class schedules to accommodate the needs of any religion. My fear is that the Seattle Public Schools will suggest just that, but until we hear back from Dr. Hollins will will not know for sure.

http://www.soundpolitics.com/archives/006180.html

A local commentator speaks out:

SEATTLE - A school official lied to me today.

Dr. Caprice Hollins tried to tell me that the Seattle School District is being directed by the federal government to develop a policy that accommodates Muslims - not Christians; not Jews; not Buddhists; just Muslims - who want to pray at school.

That's a lie.

Dr. Hollins heads up the Race and Equity Department for the Seattle School District, which may come to be called the Politically Correct Juggernaut of Gibberish.

Hollins is forming a "Prayer in Schools Committee" to examine if specific times and locations should be set aside for Muslims who want to pray during the school day.

What's next? A chapel for Baptists in a corner of some math lab?

How about a room with a crucifix for Catholics, or a Torah and tabernacle for Jews?

Hollins peppered our conversation with all sorts of P.C. buzzwords: Diversity, accommodation, cultural enrichment...

But strip away all her babble and the nut of the issue becomes all too clear: Muslim prayer in Seattle public schools.

Of course, that's already provoking fundamentalist Christians, who have been quick to say if they get to pray, we get to pray.

Well, federal courts have already ruled on that.

Hollins should look that up.

Sanctioned prayer does not belong in public schools.

Period.

And lying about that is not going to change it.

http://www.komotv.com/kenschram/story.asp?ID=43438

April 13, 2016
Minnesota school district restores prayer in schools
By Thomas Lifson

Do you think the ACLU will be suing any time soon? Because there’s a catch. Brendan of Supreme Patriot noticed something:

Buried deep in a PBS article about how the St. Cloud, Minn., school district is accommodating a large Somali population was a telling example of religious bias. While public schools have appropriately been barred from leading students in corporate Christian prayer, this district is going out of its way to satisfy the desires of the Muslim community.

PBS approvingly writes:

Read more: Blog: Minnesota school district restores prayer in schools
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

If they allow muslims to pray in school, then christians should be allowed to do the same. But...that hasn't been the case, right? So no. No religion..ANY religion, should be allowed in schools. Period.

If they allow muslims to pray in school, then christians should be allowed to do the same. But...that hasn't been the case, right? So no. No religion..ANY religion, should be allowed in schools. Period.

Christians are allowed to pray in schools. They always have been.

Schools aren't allowed to lead students in prayer. But there's nothing stopping Christian students from praying whenever they want.

Schools aren't allowed to lead students in prayer. But there's nothing stopping Christian students from praying whenever they want.
I could've sworn there was no prayer allowed in schools. Christian prayers, that is.

I could've sworn there was no prayer allowed in schools. Christian prayers, that is.

You are incorrect. Students are allowed to pray whenever they want, and always have been.

You would be wrong.

Forum List

Back