Murdoch's News of the World hacks dead teenager's phone

I was trying to explain this story to a friend of mine today and it took about 20 minutes.

There are so many twists and turns so far, and this is only the beginning.

Watching Murdoch lie to Parliament was pretty pathetic.

I wonder if lying to Parliament is a crime?

Well its a crime against Parliament . It would be up to the speaker or members to debate it to see if a crime was committed.

I was trying to explain this story to a friend of mine today and it took about 20 minutes.

Judge and jury now, are you?

I cant wait to find out whats in the email folder. We have heard so much about it and from what people are saying that where the real crimes are.

from BBC live feeds

June Kelly Home Affairs correspondent A senior lawyer has told the Home Affairs Select Committee that material which News International handed over to the police last month contained evidence of serious criminal offences. After Scotland Yard received the file they launched Operation Elvedon - the investigation into alleged corrupt payments to police officers. It is running in conjunction with the inquiry into phone hacking. The top QC, Lord Macdonald of River Glaven, (the former Director of Public Prosecutions) was employed by News Corporation to examine the material. He said that when he told the board what was in the file they were stunned and shocked.

I think this is what Brooks might have been referring to when she said they was worst to come.

Could well be.

If they are found to have bribed police would this break the US foreign corruption laws.
Iam not up on US law.

If they are found to have bribed police would this break the US foreign corruption laws.
Iam not up on US law.

I think they would have to establish that a US Interest was directly involved. If NotW bribed them, I doubt it would be actionable. I think they would have to establish that News Corp did the bribing - which won't happen.

I cant wait to find out whats in the email folder. We have heard so much about it and from what people are saying that where the real crimes are.

from BBC live feeds

June Kelly Home Affairs correspondent A senior lawyer has told the Home Affairs Select Committee that material which News International handed over to the police last month contained evidence of serious criminal offences. After Scotland Yard received the file they launched Operation Elvedon - the investigation into alleged corrupt payments to police officers. It is running in conjunction with the inquiry into phone hacking. The top QC, Lord Macdonald of River Glaven, (the former Director of Public Prosecutions) was employed by News Corporation to examine the material. He said that when he told the board what was in the file they were stunned and shocked.

I think this is what Brooks might have been referring to when she said they was worst to come.

Could well be.

Iam not up on US law.

Yea, it is illegal in the US to bribe foreign officials and that includes police.

Iam not up on US law.

I think they would have to establish that a US Interest was directly involved. If NotW bribed them, I doubt it would be actionable. I think they would have to establish that News Corp did the bribing - which won't happen.

If it could be proved that James or Rupert Murdoch knew of the payments to UK police officers, they could be charged. Whether they'd be convicted is a whole different game.

News Corps shares went up today.

If it could be proved that James or Rupert Murdoch knew of the payments to UK police officers, they could be charged.

That's a big "if." There is less than 1% chance that either of them would know - even if it did happen. There is about 0% chance that it could be proven that they knew.

Want to bet?

He's right. The chances of actually proving that they knew is zip. They are not stupid people.... no matter what you think.

Neither of them were directly responsible for NotW, that would be Rebekah Brooks. And it is her neck that's on the line legally.

So far, neither Murdoch has been 'asked' to attend a police interview.

Yes Colin,but you must admit that Rupie looked more like a dotty 80 year old than a man who had a grasp of things.....I think James did a pretty good job considering....but the questioning was fairly weak by the committee....it was a case in the end of the Murdochs playing the 3 monkeys,they were well versed and played their part well.

Watching them made me wonder,how on earth could these two run such a global empire but then they were skirting the truth and facts in most part...clever boys they are.What Colin is your analysis of the debate as you see it.I'd be interested to know....Best Regards steve:cool:

Judge and jury now, are you?

Murdoch said today was the most humble day of his life.

I guess that's why he got some Humble Pie in the face.

sack.jpg

I doubt Murdoch did know...not his style....

yeah. 'Plausible deniability' just like Reagan in Iran- Contra :rolleyes: He's still ultimately responsible, IMHO, as its his company.

It reminded me of Reagan lying about Iran Contra.

"Well, I simple don't remember."

They paid out millions in hush money.

You can't tell me Murdoch didn't know where every PENNY went.

Somebody will turn and implicate the Murdochs.

Maybe Rebekah.

Forum List

Back