Most overrated songs

Hands down Hello by Adele.

Every time I hear "I must have called a thousand times" I die a thousand deaths.

Love that song!

You know Chris, you are probably right. The woman certainly has a beautiful voice, but the song was played ad nauseum, you couldn't get away from it. I just couldn't take it anymore.

How about this one, I want you to want me, Cheap Trick

Stairway to Heaven (not even in LZ's top 10)
Born In The USA (not much of his stuff is good, except for Born To Run which is a masterpiece)
Early Beatles stuff

Oh yes that reminds me --- anything with Bruce Springstein's voice on it. :puke:

Sounds like a never-ending regurgitation.

One day I did a radio show, started off with "for the rest of the morning we'll be playing music like this" and started "Born to Run". I let it go eight bars and cut the turntable power off so it slowed to a stop, then opened the mic and said "April Fool!" and put on something completely different.

That was satisfying. :badgrin:

Springsteen? How about Bob Dylan! I don't know how his whiney voice and run-together words became so popular.

I used to think that, at first. Then I dug the words out of his mind and then the voice didn't matter any more.
Fatter o' mact, it becomes a co-character.

That said, Dylan's most overrated song was "Like a Rolling Stone". Enough already.

Didn't we have a discussion in which you talked about how important vocals are, and that you think rap isn't really music because of the vocals?

Not exactly. I said it wasn't music if the vocals are not singing.

There's somebody's song --- no idea who it is --- that follows me around in stores (well there are many but in this case...) -- built on a cliché phrase that they somehow think it's cool to keep running it over and over.

The chorus goes...

The first cut is the deepest

Oh crapola, I can feel it coming, the're gonna do this line over and over, right?

Deep, man. I can't imagine what the next line is going to be... :banghead:

FOR CHRISSAKE SOMEBODY MAKE IT STOP :death:

setting-himself-on-fire.gif

Peter Frampton "Do you feel like I do" which I disliked immediately and after hearing it several hundred times totally despise it. Frampton IMO was also way over rated.

I have to take issue with this. Recall Frampton was in the supergroup Humble Pie. Steve Marriot was basically a prototype for SRV in the 80's.

As far Do You Feel Like We Do, it was overplayed on FM radio sure, but it was brilliant. Verse and chorus were basically circle of 5ths progressions much like Neil Young stuff. The talk box requires the voice to follow played notes. Then the Leslie. Etc.

Last edited:
Born In The USA (not much of his stuff is good, except for Born To Run which is a masterpiece)
Early Beatles stuff

Oh yes that reminds me --- anything with Bruce Springstein's voice on it. :puke:

One day I did a radio show, started off with "for the rest of the morning we'll be playing music like this" and started "Born to Run". I let it go eight bars and cut the turntable power off so it slowed to a stop, then opened the mic and said "April Fool!" and put on something completely different.

Sacrilege....

Who DO you like?

Marisa Monte.

Amirite, CrusaderFrank o meu irmao?

But that would be an entry for most underrated. This thread is overrated -- it's supposed to be full of negatives.

Nailed it, bro

Early Beatles stuff

Sacrilege....

Who DO you like?

Marisa Monte.

Amirite, CrusaderFrank o meu irmao?

But that would be an entry for most underrated. This thread is overrated -- it's supposed to be full of negatives.

They played this song 5 times a day when I was in the middle-east.

Peter Frampton "Do you feel like I do" which I disliked immediately and after hearing it several hundred times totally despise it. Frampton IMO was also way over rated.

I have to take issue with this. Recall Frampton was in the supergroup Humble Pie. Steve Marriot was basically a prototype for SRV in the 80's.
You have some good points about Frampton and the song. The thread did say over-rated not worst tho. He was talented but I just couldn't see that he deserved the hype when "Frampton Comes Alive" came out.

As far Do You Feel Like We Do, it was overplayed on FM radio sure, but it was brilliant. Verse and chorus were basically circle of 5ths progressions much like Neil Young stuff. The talk box requires the voice to follow played notes. Then the Leslie. Etc.

Anything and everything by the Beatles.

I have the book where someone broke down all the vocal harmonies Paul did, and all the guitar and bass Paul did. And sometimes drums. Paul is one of rocks geniuses. I would say ten times more intelligent and creative than Frank Zappa. Paul's songs (The Beatles) are the basis for much of American rock music.

I have the book where someone broke down all the vocal harmonies Paul did, and all the guitar and bass Paul did. And sometimes drums. Paul is one of rocks geniuses. I would say ten times more intelligent and creative than Frank Zappa. Paul's songs (The Beatles) are the basis for much of American rock music.

I would have hung an "agree" on this post but for the unfortunate contrast with Zappa.

FZ didn't have McCartney's facility for melody (hell no one does) but he was starkly original and brooked no pretentiousness, admirably so. In that trait he outpaced McCartney and most everyone else just as McCartney does in melody.

Agree on the import of the Beatles body of work, but without Lennon's collaboration (and harmonies), McCartney's music was all melody and no edge. Just as without PM, Lennon's music was all edge with little melody.

Btw his drumming was eminently forgettable. To wit, "Dear Prudence" and "Ballad of John and Yoko".

I would have hung an "agree" on this post but for the unfortunate contrast with Zappa.

FZ didn't have McCartney's facility for melody (hell no one does) but he was starkly original and brooked no pretentiousness, admirably so. In that trait he outpaced McCartney and most everyone else just as McCartney does in melody.

Agree on the import of the Beatles body of work, but without Lennon's collaboration (and harmonies), McCartney's music was all melody and no edge. Just as without PM, Lennon's music was all edge with little melody.

Btw his drumming was eminently forgettable. To wit, "Dear Prudence" and "Ballad of John and Yoko".

I could never take Paul seriously after, "Just Another Silly Love Song".

I could never take Paul seriously after, "Just Another Silly Love Song".

I'm trying to even imagine (no pun intended) Frank Zappa writing a song like that.

I got nothin'.

I didn't say Paul, I said The Beatles. Everything they did was vastly over rated crap.

I believe that someone should do the world a major service, and gather up every song ever performed by ABBA, being careful not to miss the very last copy of "Dancing Queen", and put them in a large pile some place in Iraq, and drop a thermonuclear bomb on them, making certain that not even dust particles remain, and that everything is vaporized. If they would also include EVERY disco song ever produced, from "I will survive", through "YMCA", then I would vote them in as dictator of the world for life.

And in an unrelated event, find every surviving member of whoever the hell sang, "Elvira", and make them eat every tape, disc, and record.
Elvira was written in 1966, by Dallas Frazier. It was covered several times (including by Kenny Rogers), but far and away the best-known version (#1 country, #5 Billboard pop, #1 Cash Box pop) was the 1981 Oak Ridge Boys recording.

Early Beatles stuff

Springsteen? How about Bob Dylan! I don't know how his whiney voice and run-together words became so popular.
Because most of the people who like it were as baked as he was?

Forum List

Back