Most Outrageous Ways Government Wasted Tax Dollars In 2010

Why is that?

What about starting somewhere and take it from there?

Why must a full solution be developed before we start taking action?

Why is it that a football team can be in a rebuilding mode, but our country must make full changes all at once?

Seems to me that you are the one stuck on a talking point.

when it comes to the budget though, it is the only talking about.

SS, medicare, medicaid, defense and interest on the debt account for approx 85% of the federal budget. even if you were to cut out the entire other 15% you still dont balance the budget or reduce the deficit.

if you arent willing to make any cuts or reforms in these programs, then it isnt worth talking about.

And the best way to balance the budget is to first eliminate excess spending and fraud. Then see what is out of balance and take it from there.

WHen I forecasted a bad year for my company, my wife and I sat down and immediately found things we could eliminate from our weekly spending. We then found the target revenue needed to carry what was left over and we monitored it weekly. Sure enough, we saw that my income was going to be less than the amount required so we sat down again and decided how to handle it.

It really is a process. I suggest you reconsider your stance on this. We need to push our politicians to FIRST find out what we NEED...and the best way to do that is FIRST elimninate the unecessary spending.

Sorry, I see your as a typical left talking point.

if you want to balance the budget you still need to address these issues. you cant just simply say that i will cut out everything else without addressing these key areas. and since no one on the right or left is willing to right now, its all BS

still until a repub talks about tackling SS, medicare, medicaid and defense, its all just talking points.
What are the Democrat positions concerning "tackling SS, medicare, medicaid, and defense"? They still control the Senate right?

all spending bill start in the house.

and it was the republicans who campaigned on the idea of cutting spending and cutting the deficit. not the democrats

Do you support deficit spending?

Phase our SS and Medicare.... take the axe to Medicaid IMMEDIATELY... and audit defense spending eliminating payments to non-delivering contractors, hold contractors responsible with penalties that include forfeiture of payment etc, reduce civilian red-tape in the military, cut pet projects until the TOTAL of the federal budget and intergovernmental spending is under control....

Good enough for you???

But the thing is the lefties will not hear of it

actually neither the left or the right wants to make any cuts to those programs because so much of their base relys upon it.

if you cut SS you affect just about 40 million americans who receive benefits, if even just half of those people rely on it, you effectively just put 20 millions americans on the street.

96 million americans use medicare or medicaid of their primary form of health insurance. if you cut that program out, you will put to much strain on the already strained health care system, it could possibly collapse.

now you can see why its a tough problem to tackle

No.. it is not a tough problem to tackle.. unless you are someone who wants a 'feel good' 'touchy feely' government that thinks it exists to take care of individual needs, wants, and responsibilities of citizens

Taking money out of the federal red tape machine would have more monies in the hands of earning citizens.. monies that can be spent or even given to charities that help the needy more efficiently

Much of our citizenry and our government MUST get out of this mantra that the government exists to mommy the old, sick, lame, and lazy

so what is your suggestion for all those people who depends on SS, medicare and medicaid to live? just push them all out on the street?

when it comes to the budget though, it is the only talking about.

SS, medicare, medicaid, defense and interest on the debt account for approx 85% of the federal budget. even if you were to cut out the entire other 15% you still dont balance the budget or reduce the deficit.

if you arent willing to make any cuts or reforms in these programs, then it isnt worth talking about.

And the best way to balance the budget is to first eliminate excess spending and fraud. Then see what is out of balance and take it from there.

WHen I forecasted a bad year for my company, my wife and I sat down and immediately found things we could eliminate from our weekly spending. We then found the target revenue needed to carry what was left over and we monitored it weekly. Sure enough, we saw that my income was going to be less than the amount required so we sat down again and decided how to handle it.

It really is a process. I suggest you reconsider your stance on this. We need to push our politicians to FIRST find out what we NEED...and the best way to do that is FIRST elimninate the unecessary spending.

if you want to balance the budget you still need to address these issues. you cant just simply say that i will cut out everything else without addressing these key areas. and since no one on the right or left is willing to right now, its all BS

Are you intentionally ignoring what I am saying or am I not articulting my point well enough?

How can we know how much to cut if we dont know how much we will need?

First thing is to cut waste and fraud...then see what the deficit is....THEN we can start looking to cut the deficit....and how to do it.

actually neither the left or the right wants to make any cuts to those programs because so much of their base relys upon it.

if you cut SS you affect just about 40 million americans who receive benefits, if even just half of those people rely on it, you effectively just put 20 millions americans on the street.

96 million americans use medicare or medicaid of their primary form of health insurance. if you cut that program out, you will put to much strain on the already strained health care system, it could possibly collapse.

now you can see why its a tough problem to tackle

No.. it is not a tough problem to tackle.. unless you are someone who wants a 'feel good' 'touchy feely' government that thinks it exists to take care of individual needs, wants, and responsibilities of citizens

Taking money out of the federal red tape machine would have more monies in the hands of earning citizens.. monies that can be spent or even given to charities that help the needy more efficiently

Much of our citizenry and our government MUST get out of this mantra that the government exists to mommy the old, sick, lame, and lazy

so what is your suggestion for all those people who depends on SS, medicare and medicaid to live? just push them all out on the street?

Axe medicaid... it's mainly for the lazy.. the entitlement junkies

And phase out SS and Medicare... nobody new on the books.. keep collecting thru the taxes for it until such time as there are no persons left on the program.. and eliminate them never to come back

Not something that is as immediate as axing them all immediately... but it is something that is doable and puts the country back on track

What are the Democrat positions concerning "tackling SS, medicare, medicaid, and defense"? They still control the Senate right?

and it was the republicans who campaigned on the idea of cutting spending and cutting the deficit. not the democrats

no i actually do not support deficit spending. which is why i said that these areas need to be addressed. im not saying they should be simply axed, or had funding cut by 50%. The deficit reduction commission came out with some good ideas.
http://www.fiscalcommission.gov/sit...files/documents/TheMomentofTruth12_1_2010.pdf

but it was not backed by enough members to bring to the senate floor. maybe they should follow these reccomendations

*sigh*

I wonder if Aqua is looking at this thread and thinking;

"These cocksuckers derailed my thread at the first post!"

I know I would be.

Actually, I am doing all I can to keep it on track. It is a thread about rediculous spending and it opened the door to a debate over the budget (certainly related)...and I am arguing that the first thing we need to do is get rid of the excessive, rediculous spending and then see what we need our budget to be....

Are you intentionally ignoring what I am saying or am I not articulting my point well enough?

How can we know how much to cut if we dont know how much we will need?

First thing is to cut waste and fraud...then see what the deficit is....THEN we can start looking to cut the deficit....and how to do it.

so cut the entire other 15% of government. then what? we are still left with the same exact problem as before. SS, medicare, medicaid and defense. right back at square 1.

im not saying that those things dont need to be addressed, but in the grand scheme of the budget, they do not account for enough money current to make a difference.

no i actually do not support deficit spending. which is why i said that these areas need to be addressed. im not saying they should be simply axed, or had funding cut by 50%. The deficit reduction commission came out with some good ideas.
http://www.fiscalcommission.gov/sit...files/documents/TheMomentofTruth12_1_2010.pdf

but it was not backed by enough members to bring to the senate floor. maybe they should follow these reccomendations

Just saved it to my computer and will read it this evening. Until then, it would be disingenuous and useless for me to commnet.
Thanks for the link...will get back to you tomorrow.

Most outrageous use of tax dollars:

Iraq/Afghanistan:
FY2003 Supplemental: Operation Iraqi Freedom: Passed April 2003; Total $78.5 billion, $54.4 billion Iraq War
FY2004 Supplemental: Iraq and Afghanistan Ongoing Operations/Reconstruction: Passed November 2003; Total $87.5 billion, $70.6 billion Iraq War
FY2004 DoD Budget Amendment: $25 Emergency Reserve Fund (Iraq Freedom Fund): Passed July 2004, Total $25 billion, $21.5 billion (estimated) Iraq War
FY2005 Emergency Supplemental: Operations in the War on Terror; Activities in Afghanistan; Tsunami Relief: Passed April 2005, Total $82 billion, $58 billion (estimated) Iraq War
FY2006 Department of Defense appropriations: Total $50 billion, $40 billion (estimated) Iraq War.
FY2006 Emergency Supplemental: Operations Global War on Terror; Activities in Iraq & Afghanistan: Passed February 2006, Total $72.4 billion, $60 billion (estimated) Iraq War
FY2007 Department of Defense appropriations: $70 billion(estimated) for Iraq War-related costs[4][5]
FY2007 Emergency Supplemental (proposed) $100 billion
FY2008 Bush administration has proposed around $190 billion for the Iraq War and Afghanistan[6]
FY2009 Obama administration has proposed around $130 billion in additional funding for the Iraq War and Afghanistan.[7]
FY2011 Obama administration proposes around $159.3 billion for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.[8]
Financial cost of the Iraq War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Army Missile Program Dependent on Flawed Contractor Plan Requirements Shortfalls Could Result in Weapon "Of Little Value"
February 12, 2008

For several years, the Army ceded its oversight to a contractor resulting in a situation where the Army lacked any means of ensuring that taxpayer money is well-spent and that weapons met requirements. By relying on the contractor's plan instead of developing its own, the Army lacked ways to gauge the performance of the Raytheon Company which led to a missile program that is not cost-effective, according to a recent Department of Defense Inspector General (DoD IG) December 2007 "For Official Use Only" audit obtained by POGO through the Freedom of Information Act.

The Army's $623 million Surface-Launched Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missile (SLAMRAAM) is a weapons system meant to protect U.S. ground forces from attacks from the air from unmanned aerial vehicles, cruise missiles, helicopters and planes.

Wasteful Defense Spending

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsUlkUaJnE0[/ame]

Except that war and national defense is actually a constitutional charge of the federal government... your well being, VD shots, mole removals, broken pinky fingers, antibiotics, retirement income, etc are not

Except that war and national defense is actually a constitutional charge of the federal government... your well being, VD shots, mole removals, broken pinky fingers, antibiotics, retirement income, etc are not

the constitution does state "promote the general welfare" which has been interpreted to mean that government can provide those things.

the constitution does state "promote the general welfare" which has been interpreted to mean that government can provide those things.

Promote the general welfare is in the preamble.. and promote does not equate to provide... it equates to ensuring the freedoms for one to provide for themselves

As for the part that does mention provide... what most people forget is the rest of the phrase, which fully states "of the United States"... not the individual citizens within the states... it is to provide for the needs of the union as a whole, not the individual needs of every last person within the union.... we were NEVER intended to have a nanny state government

Promote the general welfare is in the preamble.. and promote does not equate to provide... it equates to ensuring the freedoms for one to provide for themselves

As for the part that does mention provide... what most people forget is the rest of the phrase, which fully states "of the United States"... not the individual citizens within the states... it is to provide for the needs of the union as a whole, not the individual needs of every last person within the union.... we were NEVER intended to have a nanny state government

take up that argument with the supreme court. since they have ruled that the government can do those things.

you might also find a list of other things not actually listed in the constitution that government provides legally:

The Air Force
Congressional Districts
The Electoral College
Executive Order
Executive Privilege
Freedom of Expression
(Absolute) Freedom of Speech and Press
"From each according to his ability..."
God
Immigration
Impeachment means removal from office
Innocent until proven guilty
It's a free country
Judicial Review
Jury of Peers
"Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness"
Marriage
Martial Law
No taxation without representation
Number of Justices in the Supreme Court
"Of the people, by the people, for the people"
Paper Money
Political Parties
Primary Elections
Qualifications for Judges
The right to privacy
The right to travel
The right to vote
The separation of church and state
The Separation of Powers Clause
Slavery
"We hold these truths to be self-evident"
Things That Are Not In the U.S. Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

While SS absolutely needs to be dealt with-axing it isn't the answer. I've paid A LOT of money into SS (as I'm sure most people on this website have). It's not a handout-because as taxpayers we're paying into the system. Taxing our tax dollars for a program that we wont receive is the most ridiculous and wrong thing the government can ever do.

take up that argument with the supreme court. since they have ruled that the government can do those things.

you might also find a list of other things not actually listed in the constitution that government provides legally:

The Air Force
Congressional Districts
The Electoral College
Executive Order
Executive Privilege
Freedom of Expression
(Absolute) Freedom of Speech and Press
"From each according to his ability..."
God
Immigration
Impeachment means removal from office
Innocent until proven guilty
It's a free country
Judicial Review
Jury of Peers
"Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness"
Marriage
Martial Law
No taxation without representation
Number of Justices in the Supreme Court
"Of the people, by the people, for the people"
Paper Money
Political Parties
Primary Elections
Qualifications for Judges
The right to privacy
The right to travel
The right to vote
The separation of church and state
The Separation of Powers Clause
Slavery
"We hold these truths to be self-evident"
Things That Are Not In the U.S. Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Do you honestly believe the government and SC have not done things to grab more power by legislation and interpretation?? The SC is just as guilty for bastardizing the Constitution as the other branches...

No.

Promoting the General Welfare falls under the powers of Congress. It's in the first clause.

And "Defense" means exactly that. Defense. Not Empire.

that may be your narrow sighted belief. but people much smarter than you and I sit on the court and interpret laws. if you want to change things, maybe you should go to law school and make a difference.

Forum List

Back