More proof of global cooling (albeit anectdotal)

Ahh yes, the specks are runnin right now. They've been catching them here along with the remaining flounder that are trying to flood into the bays. I'm about to have a good vacation from work, so you can count on hearing some good updates...(Hopefully, we'll see how my wife reacts to my plans...:redface: )

Good deal. I've been pulling a few summer flounder last week. This week is going to be all about the redfish. I pulled a 35incher from the grass last week:cool:

I was a kid back then and friends with a Navy UDT/Seal and his younger brother who taught me how to dive. We'd hit places from Palm Beach to the Keys, but our favorite spot was Hollywood Beach. I remember the water having a thermal plane for the first several feet and then the temp dropped off very dramatically below the thermal plane. We'd stay down until hypothermia set in, and our hands started shaking really bad, then come up and lay in the sun to warm up. We'd cross the street and refill our tanks for a buck and do it all again. Palm Beach had a few wrecks in close to shore, fun to drive but never failed had a great barracuda hanging around it that always wanted to get in close and look into your mask.

I am one of "those people" who displayed such perfectly sound judgement as to have dived off the old FEC trestle bridge at Bahia Honda. Not one of my more genius moments.:eusa_shifty:

We never went very far north. I think the 27th St drive-in was about the limit to our range. We used to go up around Gables by the Sea on Old Cutler Rd where there was a damn or something like that -- a controlled waterway anyway -- and dive off the pipes on the opposite side of Old Cutler. We also used to swim in the canal in Cutler Ridge off Marlin Dr.

Life was so tough back then.:rolleyes:

How about it being exacerbated by humans?

A possibility. There is no denying Man's effect on our environment. The question is, what and how much and can it be controlled?

My problem with addressing the issue is not in researching it. It's with all these chuckleheads running around demanding we sign this treaty or that promising to "do something" when they have no ide "what" we need to do.

How about it being exacerbated by humans?

I think humans are contributing...I mean, it makes perfect sense that humans are putting pollutants into the atmosphere. I just laugh when I hear GW activists griping and trying to make humans feel guilty for causing it...

A possibility. There is no denying Man's effect on our environment. The question is, what and how much and can it be controlled?

My problem with addressing the issue is not in researching it. It's with all these chuckleheads running around demanding we sign this treaty or that promising to "do something" when they have no ide "what" we need to do.

Funding alternative energies?

More efficient automobiles?

Working with the international community to make inroads one step at a time?

Nothing extreme there, right?

Funding alternative energies?

More efficient automobiles?

Working with the international community to make inroads one step at a time?

Nothing extreme there, right?

HEre's my problem with the current (ideas) for alternative energies. Hydrogen isn't all it's cracked up to be. If you start running cars using water as a power source, people will start fighting over water like they do oil. Then next thing you know, the guy up the creek has dammed it off and started making money, while your end of the creek dries up.

Ethanol (made from corn) is turning out to be just as expensive to harvest/refine/transport/and sell as gas. We have farmers here that have switched to farming corn because they know the ethanol age is approaching, however, many farmers are struggling because the cost to crow corn has risen---which then ties into the rise in oil prices....and other things.

But the water used for power doesn't have to be drinkable.

As for ethanol...no arguments from me. It was a good idea, but you can't use food for energy.

We should be funding research into alternative energies and certainly shouldn't be throwing up our hands.

As for ethanol...no arguments from me. It was a good idea, but you can't use food for energy.

We should be funding research into alternative energies and certainly shouldn't be throwing up our hands.

Ethanol is a joke, I was watching a report the other night on CNN, it stated that if we use all of the corn crop being harvested today, it would only reduce our dependency on oil by 3%. We need to be drilling more in the US and commit to alternative energy sources long term.

"It was a good idea, but you can't use food for energy."

LOL....I know what you meant by this statement, but without the context, it sounds ironic...lol.

HEre's my problem with the current (ideas) for alternative energies. Hydrogen isn't all it's cracked up to be. If you start running cars using water as a power source, people will start fighting over water like they do oil. Then next thing you know, the guy up the creek has dammed it off and started making money, while your end of the creek dries up.

Ethanol (made from corn) is turning out to be just as expensive to harvest/refine/transport/and sell as gas. We have farmers here that have switched to farming corn because they know the ethanol age is approaching, however, many farmers are struggling because the cost to crow corn has risen---which then ties into the rise in oil prices....and other things.

First off hydrogen for fuel cells will NOT come from water...that is what comes out the tailpipe. The hydrogen will be cracked from HYDROCARBONS...aka oil and gas, just like today. That's why the oil companies are the fuel cell bandwagon....nothing changes with fuel cells.

Ethanol? Never will amount to much. Just can't grow enough stuff to make enough to matter.

My money now is on Lithium Ion battery technology or other promising rechargable electric sources that draw their charge off the existing power grid at night during low usage times.

First off hydrogen for fuel cells will NOT come from water...that is what comes out the tailpipe. The hydrogen will be cracked from HYDROCARBONS...aka oil and gas, just like today. That's why the oil companies are the fuel cell bandwagon....nothing changes with fuel cells.

Ethanol? Never will amount to much. Just can't grow enough stuff to make enough to matter.

My money now is on Lithium Ion battery technology or other promising rechargable electric sources that draw their charge off the existing power grid at night during low usage times.

Ahhh ok.

Ethanol is rediculous.....IMO. It costs just as much to harvest and refine as oil. There are alot of farmers down here that have switched growing corn in hopes of making more money, however, the frickin price to grow, maintain, and harvest the corn has tripled....So farmers are no better off than what they were. As long as the oil companies are in control, our situation will not improve, no matter what energy source we choose. THere needs to be serious changes....

I'm still waiting for my global cooling. It was 96 today, and I'm supposed to get about 5 repeats of that.

Y'all Yankees ain't sharing.:(

It was only 50 here - we couldn't afford to lose any. :neutral:

We get our couple days of 'warm' whether (high 70's - low 80's) each week, then it's back to mid 50s here.

wow.....:eusa_drool:mmmm.......

It's been low 90s here....high 90s earlier this week. Heat index over 100 also. I thought global cooling was supposed to be GLOBAL and not just in the North.

Getting ready to go fishing tomorrow here for the MN walleye opener. According to official records this will be the first time in 11 years there was still ice on lakes on the opening of fishing (second weekend in May).

yes this makes a lot of sense

Forum List

Back