More blatant nonsense from the right, keeping the poor away from their schools

People need a lot of things... food, water, clothing, shelter, etc.

Doesn't obligate others to pay for it.

Why is Trump cutting grants for poor students to go to top schools? | Opinion

"
Why Is Trump Stopping Poor Students From Going to Top Schools?"

"The Administration’s education budget slashes $150 billion in federal student aid over 10 years. This move would cut by half our federal Work-Study program, which helps 675,000 students support themselves through college every year. "

Basically Trump put DeVos in charge at "education" and she's a proponent of school vouchers. Now, for me, school vouchers are just a way of taking money out of schools and giving it to rich people. But the right say it's all about CHOICE. The same people will then dismiss choice elsewhere, and ignore the fact that the UK manages to give choice to kids to go to schools they want to go to WITHOUT school vouchers.

Now, they want choice with school vouchers, and yet.... they're taking away money from poorer kids to go to college. Oh, so, what, wait.... universities will only be for rich kids, so it will benefit the rich and mean they can get the levels of education needed to get higher paid jobs....

Oh, I see, they're preventing choice, once again.

A leader elected not by choice of the people, but by the system, is making sure poorer people don't get to go to school.

My sister has a good job and so does her X, but they put everything they worked for into the education of their two children. My niece and nephew both have college bills that their parents couldn't afford. They will all be paying for my niece and nephews education for many years to come.

It's simply not right that others can walk into college and have an easy ride while others struggle for decades for the same education. There is no law that you have to attend college and never leave until you graduate. You can work for a while, take a couple of courses, rinse and repeat. You can still get college loans, you can do a number of things.

More Than 40% of Student Borrowers Aren’t Making Payments

The problem is Ray, you're looking at this only from the perspective of the individual. What about of the nation, which does need highly educated people who have gone through university?

Take China as an example. They want to win every Olympic medal going, seriously this is their goal. Now, one of the medals is for soccer. It's really under 23's soccer which allows three over 23 year olds to be in the squad. So, you need a decent level of soccer players.

China with a population that far exceeds any other country (except India, and they're absolutely pathetic at sports with the lowest per capita ratio for medals of any country that actually gets a medal) but they can't produce good soccer players. Why not? They pump money into the system, they do all of that. But they simply don't have the kids playing soccer. In Brazil they're all at it, playing all the time and they produce some of the best, but in China, they take rich kids who can pay and put them through sports schools, if they can afford to pay, and then what comes out at the end is a sub-quality level players.

If the US only puts through the rich to university, then the US will end up relying a lot of foreigners who have gone through university. Now, you're looking at places like NASA etc, but even the intelligence community which can't have foreigners, and you'll just end up with poor quality people simply because they were the only ones who could afford it.

But hey Ray, I know, I know, I've spoken with you enough, you're only happy when the super rich feel happy.

Oh, do you mean rich kids like Barack Obama?

It's not up to our government to produce college graduates, it's up to the individual. My sister was never rich,my niece was never rich, my nephew was never rich and neither is his wife. They all attended college.

So what's the difference between them and poor people? My family wanted an advanced education and was willing to pay whatever it took to get it, compared to the poor that lived their lives getting everything they wanted for free.

Only a fool would believe that the people who created a problem will also have the solution to it. Liberal colleges charge so much for education that people pay on that debt nearly half of their life or more. So now the liberal solution to the liberal problem is to have government pay for it.

Our country is 20 trillion in debt and growing. We all would like things for free, but the cookie jar is empty. The cookies have been replaced with IOU's.

"

"The Administration’s education budget slashes $150 billion in federal student aid over 10 years. This move would cut by half our federal Work-Study program, which helps 675,000 students support themselves through college every year. "

Basically Trump put DeVos in charge at "education" and she's a proponent of school vouchers. Now, for me, school vouchers are just a way of taking money out of schools and giving it to rich people. But the right say it's all about CHOICE. The same people will then dismiss choice elsewhere, and ignore the fact that the UK manages to give choice to kids to go to schools they want to go to WITHOUT school vouchers.

Now, they want choice with school vouchers, and yet.... they're taking away money from poorer kids to go to college. Oh, so, what, wait.... universities will only be for rich kids, so it will benefit the rich and mean they can get the levels of education needed to get higher paid jobs....

A leader elected not by choice of the people, but by the system, is making sure poorer people don't get to go to school.

Do you not understand how school choice works? It gives vouchers to those who apply (usually poor people) so they can be able to afford sending their kid to a private or charter school. Both of those options are usually better than public schools. It allows poorer parents to be able to give their child more opportunity in life. It allows them to be able to get good grades from a better school and get scholarships and go to college. You saying Republicans are anti-choice is a blatant lie.

The President was elected by the choice of the majority of the states. Just because the liberal coast has more of a population doesn't necessarily mean that's what a majority of the states want. The electoral college gives ALL states a voice, so that New York, California, Texas, and Florida don't rule the elections. If there was no electoral college, most of the elections (if not all) would be Democrat wins. It makes things fair. The President was elected fairly. You're just pissed because Clinton lost.

"

My sister has a good job and so does her X, but they put everything they worked for into the education of their two children. My niece and nephew both have college bills that their parents couldn't afford. They will all be paying for my niece and nephews education for many years to come.

It's simply not right that others can walk into college and have an easy ride while others struggle for decades for the same education. There is no law that you have to attend college and never leave until you graduate. You can work for a while, take a couple of courses, rinse and repeat. You can still get college loans, you can do a number of things.

The problem is Ray, you're looking at this only from the perspective of the individual. What about of the nation, which does need highly educated people who have gone through university?

Take China as an example. They want to win every Olympic medal going, seriously this is their goal. Now, one of the medals is for soccer. It's really under 23's soccer which allows three over 23 year olds to be in the squad. So, you need a decent level of soccer players.

China with a population that far exceeds any other country (except India, and they're absolutely pathetic at sports with the lowest per capita ratio for medals of any country that actually gets a medal) but they can't produce good soccer players. Why not? They pump money into the system, they do all of that. But they simply don't have the kids playing soccer. In Brazil they're all at it, playing all the time and they produce some of the best, but in China, they take rich kids who can pay and put them through sports schools, if they can afford to pay, and then what comes out at the end is a sub-quality level players.

If the US only puts through the rich to university, then the US will end up relying a lot of foreigners who have gone through university. Now, you're looking at places like NASA etc, but even the intelligence community which can't have foreigners, and you'll just end up with poor quality people simply because they were the only ones who could afford it.

But hey Ray, I know, I know, I've spoken with you enough, you're only happy when the super rich feel happy.

It's not up to our government to produce college graduates, it's up to the individual. My sister was never rich,my niece was never rich, my nephew was never rich and neither is his wife. They all attended college.

So what's the difference between them and poor people? My family wanted an advanced education and was willing to pay whatever it took to get it, compared to the poor that lived their lives getting everything they wanted for free.

Only a fool would believe that the people who created a problem will also have the solution to it. Liberal colleges charge so much for education that people pay on that debt nearly half of their life or more. So now the liberal solution to the liberal problem is to have government pay for it.

Our country is 20 trillion in debt and growing. We all would like things for free, but the cookie jar is empty. The cookies have been replaced with IOU's.

Yes, yes, individuals, society is dead, all of that stuff.... I disagree with your desire to kill society.

"

Do you not understand how school choice works? It gives vouchers to those who apply (usually poor people) so they can be able to afford sending their kid to a private or charter school. Both of those options are usually better than public schools. It allows poorer parents to be able to give their child more opportunity in life. It allows them to be able to get good grades from a better school and get scholarships and go to college. You saying Republicans are anti-choice is a blatant lie.

The President was elected by the choice of the majority of the states. Just because the liberal coast has more of a population doesn't necessarily mean that's what a majority of the states want. The electoral college gives ALL states a voice, so that New York, California, Texas, and Florida don't rule the elections. If there was no electoral college, most of the elections (if not all) would be Democrat wins. It makes things fair. The President was elected fairly. You're just pissed because Clinton lost.

It's bullshit, that's what it is. Like I said, the UK has choice and doesn't have vouchers, and those demanding choice for education will suddenly decide choice isn't so important for other things. Choice for university? Oh, no, not if you can't afford it, sorry, you don't get to choose any more. Choice for who you want to be your representatives? No, sorry, you don't get to choose that either....

"

Yes, yes, individuals, society is dead, all of that stuff.... I disagree with your desire to kill society.

And I disagree with the leftist notion that our country is one big commune. Some sit home and smoke pot, some have babies and watch television all day, and others go out and work to bring money back to support the commune. That's why there are no communes like that in the US anymore. The providers of the commune got sick of supporting everybody else. When they left, the communes collapsed.

"

It's bullshit, that's what it is. Like I said, the UK has choice and doesn't have vouchers, and those demanding choice for education will suddenly decide choice isn't so important for other things. Choice for university? Oh, no, not if you can't afford it, sorry, you don't get to choose any more. Choice for who you want to be your representatives? No, sorry, you don't get to choose that either....

Calling what I said bullshit gets you nowhere. You can already get scholarships for college, or if you don't, get student loans and immediately start paying those off when you get into your career. College isn't some sort of liberal playground where you go and major in Gender Studies. It's where you decide your career. That's how you pay off loans, especially if you become a doctor or a lawyer. You get the benefit of helping people (either in hospitals or courts) and you can make enough money to pay off your debts relatively quickly.

Choice for representatives? You vote for your senators from your state, and you vote for your representative from your district. You don't vote for everyone else.

"

Calling what I said bullshit gets you nowhere. You can already get scholarships for college, or if you don't, get student loans and immediately start paying those off when you get into your career. College isn't some sort of liberal playground where you go and major in Gender Studies. It's where you decide your career. That's how you pay off loans, especially if you become a doctor or a lawyer. You get the benefit of helping people (either in hospitals or courts) and you can make enough money to pay off your debts relatively quickly.

Choice for representatives? You vote for your senators from your state, and you vote for your representative from your district. You don't vote for everyone else.

Leftists believe that if they don't get something somebody else pays for, it's not within their reach.

Liberals believe that the wealthy are just people lucky enough to be born into a certain family. They believe having children that one cannot afford was just bad luck. They believe that working taxpayers should pick up the tab for everything those people don't do for themselves.

Welcome to USMB by the way........

"

And I disagree with the leftist notion that our country is one big commune. Some sit home and smoke pot, some have babies and watch television all day, and others go out and work to bring money back to support the commune. That's why there are no communes like that in the US anymore. The providers of the commune got sick of supporting everybody else. When they left, the communes collapsed.

Of course you do Ray. Mostly because you're so partisan you won't even listen to arguments of the other "team".

But then again, I don't think the country is one big commune either. I see it like a house though. You need to respect others. You have your own room, you can do what you like, but when you go outside you have to think about other people. You see life like your own personal Island, you do what you like and fuck everyone else.

I'm not talking about communes, but you're just going to go off deflecting about communes, like this was something I brought up.

There probably are communes in the US Ray, like the Amish, I worked in Colorado and there was a guy there who was saving money for his Commune, that was a long time ago, but.... I'm sure they are out there.

But what I'm talking about is people living in a society wanting certain things within that society, safety, education, health, they want to able to live within society and not have to worry about all the problems that the US suffers from.

China is an example of a country trying to achieve that, and it remains to be seen if it will work, and if the balance is wrong on the other side of the spectrum. But hey, arguments won't wash with you, will they Ray, i could say anything and you'll just ignore it all.

"

Sorry if you thought that when I said "bullshit" that I meant what you said. I was tired when I wrote it. What I means was that the whole school vouchers thing is bullshit.

Yes, you can get scholarships to college. But what we're talking about is the MASSIVE reduction in scholarships and the like from the Trump administration. He doesn't want people to go to college if they're poor but talented.

Yes, you can get a student loan, but the reality is that it's a massive burden for poor people. Imagine you take the loan, something goes wrong and you can't finish your course. Happened to a friend of mine, was going to go study in France, mum got cancer and might not be able to go study in France. Imagine something like that happens half way through your course and you have to drop out. You're burdened with no way of paying the money back.

But the bullshit is that these people have their bullshit "reasons" why they make such a system, but everyone knows the reality. Knows they're just being selfish.

"

Leftists believe that if they don't get something somebody else pays for, it's not within their reach.

Liberals believe that the wealthy are just people lucky enough to be born into a certain family. They believe having children that one cannot afford was just bad luck. They believe that working taxpayers should pick up the tab for everything those people don't do for themselves.

Well, some might believe this, but Ray, you're just as partisan as they come, aren't you?

You believe that when the govt helps a company because massive, then it's okay, when they give rich people money it's great, but when they give poor people money it's wrong, don't you?

"

Failed, wrongheaded conservative dogma is nonsense, this hostility toward low income students is one of many examples.

"

Well, some might believe this, but Ray, you're just as partisan as they come, aren't you?

You believe that when the govt helps a company because massive, then it's okay, when they give rich people money it's great, but when they give poor people money it's wrong, don't you?

No, I believe what you just said is liberal propaganda. Nobody gives rich people anything, government just takes less away from them under Republican control. That's not the same as when the government gives poor people money. Giving means you are providing people with something they didn't have.

The reason this debate never goes anywhere is because you on the left think all money belongs to government, and what they allow you to keep is a gift from them to you. We on the right believe all money a person makes rightfully belongs to them; it is their property, and what we give to government is a gift from us to them.

Government doesn't make money--government only takes money. It's the people who work and invest that create wealth, and wealth is like any other property you own. It's like your house, your car, your lawnmower, your television sets. It rightfully belongs to you.

Here's an idea, why don't ya'll socialist liberals set up a volunteer grant program to pay for these "poor" peoples schools if you'd like - and those of us who don't want to, don't have to. Ya'll are constantly hyping about how much liberal California makes and how educated and well paid ya'll are, put your money where your mouth is eh?

No, I believe what you just said is liberal propaganda. Nobody gives rich people anything, government just takes less away from them under Republican control. That's not the same as when the government gives poor people money. Giving means you are providing people with something they didn't have.

The reason this debate never goes anywhere is because you on the left think all money belongs to government, and what they allow you to keep is a gift from them to you. We on the right believe all money a person makes rightfully belongs to them; it is their property, and what we give to government is a gift from us to them.

Government doesn't make money--government only takes money. It's the people who work and invest that create wealth, and wealth is like any other property you own. It's like your house, your car, your lawnmower, your television sets. It rightfully belongs to you.

Ray, EVERYTHING you don't like is LIBERAL PROPAGANDA, so it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that this is what you "think".

Yes, nobody gives rich people anything, and nobody gave you political blindness either.

I seriously can't be bothered to talk to you about this any more. There is no point. You don't care about anything other than supporting your political team.

Here's an idea, why don't ya'll socialist liberals set up a volunteer grant program to pay for these "poor" peoples schools if you'd like - and those of us who don't want to, don't have to. Ya'll are constantly hyping about how much liberal California makes and how educated and well paid ya'll are, put your money where your mouth is eh?

Or how about this, let's have a vote on it, and if 50% of the people want something, then it happens, if not, it doesn't happen. Someone has suggested this be called DEMOCRACY, but who in the US would know what democracy is?

"

This is a much more accurate article on the cuts. Not anywhere near as drastic as you make it.

Trump's Higher Education Cuts Are Neither Bold Nor Brutal

You also don't get school choice system that DeVos is pushing, because you want black and brown kids educated as long as it is not in your neighborhood with your kids! Liberal racism at its finest

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Forum List

Back