Moderator warnings and messages

Discussion in 'Announcements and Feedback' started by ChrisL, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,930
    In my mind, it is both.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  2. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,930
    Exercising restraint is one of those things that, often enough but not always, is not about doing oneself any good, but rather not doing the harm of overstepping the line with regard to living the kind of life, being the kind of person, one has determined one will live/be and being the kind person that others cannot object legitimately to one's being.

The measure of one's success at being that person is, for me, found in a variety of ways, and one of them is my ability to exercise restraint when I'm tested and it'd instead be easy not to. That's a measure of achievement that, IMO, is worth more than money because it's a sure indicator to me that I'm not allowing someone else to control my behavior, which of all the behaviors that happen in the world, is the the only one over which I have complete control. I'm not keen to yield any of that control to someone else, least of all a total stranger on the Internet. It's also an achievement that cannot be taken away or diminished by anyone but oneself.

So, if nothing else, the good it does me is provide a small but vivid touchpoint that informs me that I've not become "that much more" incrementally weak of character that I'd, by someone who matters not in my life, be moved to a place I care not to be and to action I care not to take. Jesus didn't want to die on a cross, but he knew he had to to accomplish his objective and reach is destiny, thus he did. By comparison, the little bit of restraint I need to exercise in a venue like USMB is nothing.

(It's worth nothing that the New Testament and its story about Jesus is among the several great texts in the world that -- even fully dismissing its dogmatic aspects, miracles or no miracles, Son of God or not -- is an excellent handbook for how to live a life of high integrity and character. One may not always succeed at doing so, but one damn sure need not fail on account of nameless inveigling knaves on the Internet.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  3. ChrisL

ChrisL Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47,758
    Well, you are basically still a newb here, so we will see how far you can stretch your patience for nitwits. :D

4. ChrisL

ChrisL Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47,758
    A lot of times, when someone is blatantly insulting, I just compliment myself or say good things about myself. They seem to really hate that. Lol. It's kind of funny actually. :D

5. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,930
    I've long since lost patience with them. The restraint I exhibit here is that of to "nitwits" not responding in kind.

6. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,930
    Okay. As I alluded earlier, you and I see the matter differently. I'm happy to explain how I see the matter and respond to it, but just to be expositive, not persuasive. I'm not here willfully going to try convincing anyone to adopt my principles in that regard.

I find that the most effective way to demonstrate that I could not care less about another's remarks is to say absolutely nothing about them.

7. ChrisL

ChrisL Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47,758
    No. I said that I compliment MYSELF, and that seems to really bother them. Lol. I don't even have to say anything about them. :D That's how nutty they are.

8. rightwinger

rightwinger Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +60,234
    I am far from crazy...

Just giving you fair warning about the far reaching power of USMB moderators

Ever read the bible? Amateurs compared to our mods

9. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,930
    I don't think you're crazy; however, I think that claptrap about the moderators (near) omnipotence verges on certifiable.

10. ChrisL

ChrisL Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47,758
    Well, he is paid, so . . . :D

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1